Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 24th October 2016, 14:58   #196

Default Re: Bangalore to Kollur Mookambika : Route Queries

My 2 cents on the Mookambika route confusion.

Google showed the best route to be Bangalore- Tumkur - Davanagare -harnahalli - Ayyannur - Ripponpet - Hosanagara -Kollur. I shall call this route 1 from here on.
However, many in this forum have mentioned that the Route 2 which is, Bangalore - nelamangala -CR patna - Arsikere - Shimoga - ayyannur - Ripponpet - Hosanagara -Kollur, is shorter and quicker.

I have done a trip to Kollur last weekend and here are my observations.

1. Route 1 is quicker & safer (subjective) as for the first 270 km (approx) you drive through 6 lane highway which is walled on both sides for most of the route. It's better to bring along your food as you wouldn't find many good restaurants. However, there are many small joints where you can use the "Pay and use" toilets. After you deviate from the highway and take the route to Harnahalli, the road is not in good condition for around 15 km. You tend to lose some time there and even after that the roads, although is good, is single lane through villages. Hence, you may not be able to maintain high speeds.
2. Coming back from Kollur I took route 2 and the section from Shimoga to Arsikere (75kms) was a royal pain in the butt. Especially in the evening. Although the road in decent shape, villages, bikes and being single lane translates to heavy drive fatigue and slow avg. speeds.

Many have mentioned that route 2 has better restaurants which is partly true. However, my experience was route 2 is not significantly better than route 1 in that aspect too. Unless you drive through Shimoga city area, there aren't many good restaurants in route 2 as well. Not to mention that driving through Shimoga city and not taking the bye pass will bring down the average speed as well.

Hence, my suggestion would be - pack your food and take Route 1.
Lambydude is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2016, 18:07   #197
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
1. Route 1 is quicker & safer (subjective) as for the first 270 km (approx) you drive through 6 lane highway which is walled on both sides for most of the route. It's better to bring along your food as you wouldn't find many good restaurants.
Agree to this in part. Earlier you did not get good options even on the 6 lane once you go past Dobbaspet. Which I think is true to some even today. Hence my preference to suggest Hassan highway which is also 4-laned.

And during the time I suggested CR Patna-Arsikere, there were rarely people using these routes. I think traffic has increased many fold since then.

Arsikere-Shimoga always will be a bit high on local traffic because of it being 2-lane. So yes to some extent you need to weather that storm. Early morning that section is very nice.

Also during initial days, the return traffic on Hassan 4-lane was not as high as it is these days. Hence again it was better to take this 4-lane instead of facing the Tumkur-Bangalore traffic which is insane most times.

But now it looks like even!

Quote:
Hence, my suggestion would be - pack your food and take Route 1.
I understand your point of view. What I would suggest is to take the Hassan option while going and the Davanagere option while coming back.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2016, 10:29   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
Google showed the best route to be Bangalore- Tumkur - Davanagare -harnahalli - Ayyannur - Ripponpet - Hosanagara -Kollur.
Thanks Lambydude.
I have taken this route on October 30/31st, both the way I took the same route. After deviating from highway, initial 10 km section was bad, very bumpy drive and few pothole as well. Again in between some 5km section was bad. Otherwise excellent roads.
Started from Bellandur at 5.30AM and reached Kollur at 1.30PM, via nice road its 495km.
Took a breakfast break at Ratham before Tumkur and short break at Honnur, little before deviating from Highway(there is a good IOC Petrol bunk and a CoffeeDay next to the bunk).
Stayed there in Mahalakshmi Residency, very decent place with restaurant. I think this is the best place available in Kollur now. Getting into the hotel is little tricky, hotel person/security has to be there to open the temple side gate.
http://www.mahalakshmiresidency.com/
kavu75 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2016, 13:22   #199
BHPian

Planning Blr - Sringeri - Kollur - Blr. I have 2 option from Sringeri to Kollur:
1) Tirthahalli - Nagara - Kollur
2) Agumbe - Goliangadi - Neralkatte - Kollur
Anyone here who can share an update on road conditions?
procrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2016, 14:18   #200
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Planning Blr - Sringeri - Kollur - Blr. I have 2 option from Sringeri to Kollur:
1) Tirthahalli - Nagara - Kollur
2) Agumbe - Goliangadi - Neralkatte - Kollur
Anyone here who can share an update on road conditions?
In my opinion, take the regular option.

Sringeri-Agumbe-Someshwar-Ampar-Vandse-Kollur
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote