Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 13th February 2017, 18:48   #211
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore to Kollur Mookambika : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayoojl View Post
Kollur-Vandse-Shankaranarayana-Halady-Agumbe-Sringeri-Balehonnur-Aldur-Chickmagaluru-Belur-Hassan-CRPatna-Nelamangala-NICE Road-Bellandur.
I did this route last week on my way back from Kundapura and would vote it anyday over the other one. Road surface is excellent almost all the way, not to mention the beautiful vistas that keep you company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Did you not see Bhadra Coffee Shop just after Balehonnur? Thats an awesome place to break!
Agreed - excellent stopover option for a quick coffee/dose etc. Neat restroom too. It is just before Balehonnur town while going from C'magalur to Sringeri.
cool_dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2017, 17:51   #212
BHPian

Hello, I'm looking to travel to Kollur from Bangalore the coming weekend. A few years back I had taken the Arsikere - Shivamogga - Thirthahalli - Kollur route and found that to be tiring.

How is the Nelamangala - Kunigal - Hassan - Chickmagaluru - Aldur - Balehonnur - Agumbe - Halady - Vandse - Kollur route for travel these days? I'm travelling with my family and two toddlers, so any recommendations on places to stopover for breakfast and lunch would be very helpful. I'm leaving the coming saturday, and planning to leave around 4am.
vignesh.cv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2017, 18:15   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vignesh.cv View Post
How is the Nelamangala - Kunigal - Hassan - Chickmagaluru - Aldur - Balehonnur - Agumbe - Halady - Vandse - Kollur route for travel these days?
The road is good, and you do 250 Kms (Chikmagaluru) in about 4 Hours with Breaks.

Beyond Chikmagalur too the road is in good shape, with Agumbe getting a fresh layer. However, not everyone (including the co-passengers here) would love to sit on twisty roads that last for at least 3 hours till you reach your destination.

Instead, the other route via Shimoga would be better as the Ghats are less and many prefer that.

In short, if road conditions is what you wanted to know - Have no doubts about it, Its all good, end to end via Agumbe route too.

On Breaks:

Since you start at 0400 am, you can plan to have breakfast (an early one) at Hassan (Raama Hotel) or Chikmagalur - Planters Court will be on the way to Mudigere while Town Canteen (Famous for Dosas) will be on the other end of the town. Few near the Bust Stand (IG Road) are: Soundarya and Annapurna.

Beyond Chikmagalur, your options will be very less barring few coffee shops that also serve snacks which I guess can serve for quick breaks - One of them that most BHPians visit is Bhadra Stop Coffee Shop before Balehonnur on your right.
paragsachania is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2017, 17:00   #214
BHPian

Did Kollur during the weekend. Trusted google maps and took the Davangere route on Saturday morning, started from JP Nagar at 5 am through NICE and reached Kollur at noon 12.15 with around 1 hour break. Took the same route on Sunday, started at 8.45 am and reached at 3.10 pm with . Stayed in Jyothis residency, it is a new place located close to the temple, would recommend this place for modern facilities, proximity to the temple, parking etc.
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2017, 19:04   #215
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Did Kollur during the weekend. Trusted google maps and took the Davangere route on Saturday morning
Did you take the Harihar (bypass)-Honnali-Hosanagar-Kollur route ?
Please share a map link if possible for the route you took. Also a road conditions update will help too
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2017, 08:14   #216
Team-BHP Support

Looks like he took the Davanagere - Honnali - Ayanur section. Distance wise not a big delta. Max about 20-25km which can be easily covered along the 4-lane. Would be great to know the current status of the non 4-lane section beyond Davanagere.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2017, 10:01   #217
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Would be great to know the current status of the non 4-lane section beyond Davanagere.
Amp, last month I was casually talking to a colleague who had taken Shimoga Honalli Harihar for his drive to Dharwad then. I was surprised that he referred to the road conditions as "First Class" with only a very short stretch to be bad.

Exactly an year back while I waited for my folks to arrive by bus at Harihar from Belur, they told how terribly bad the road was and it was back breaking!

So last Sunday my friend returned via this route from Kundapura to touchdown at Harihar and then continue towards Bangalore on experimental basis and he too reported the same, that the road was good with the small bad patch still bad.

So I too presume that things should be better now with this stretch but I would love to know how much was bad if at all there was any stretch.

Edit - Just checked and he said road from where it says 15kms to Harihar was bad. But the bad was again manageable with small potholes here and there. Rest all was good.

Last edited by paragsachania : 16th May 2017 at 10:24.
paragsachania is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2017, 10:24   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Did you take the Harihar (bypass)-Honnali-Hosanagar-Kollur route ?
Please share a map link if possible for the route you took. Also a road conditions update will help too
Quote:
Looks like he took the Davanagere - Honnali - Ayanur section. Distance wise not a big delta. Max about 20-25km which can be easily covered along the 4-lane. Would be great to know the current status of the non 4-lane section beyond Davanagere.
Below link has the route I took. Roads are excellent except for a rough patch of around 5 kms after you exit the 4 lane. I think this is the fastest option to Kollur. Traffic was little heavy from Tumkur on the way back, but could do in decent time. There are enough food options on the way.

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Na...2!2d13.8648787
gadadhar is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2017, 15:58   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Below link has the route I took. Roads are excellent except for a rough patch of around 5 kms after you exit the 4 lane. I think this is the fastest option to Kollur. Traffic was little heavy from Tumkur on the way back, but could do in decent time. There are enough food options on the way.
I too followed Google maps and took this route to Kollur on April end (long weekend). The single lane from Harihar (exit 4 lane after Davengere) to Arasalu was void of any traffic and the road is superb, though a bit narrow for initial 20kms or so.
bejoy is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2017, 21:05   #220
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Below link has the route I took. Roads are excellent except for a rough patch of around 5 kms after you exit the 4 lane. I think this is the fastest option to Kollur.
Thanks for that update
Seems like a great option to completely bypass Shivamogga and head to the Ayanur-Ripponpet-Hosanagara route to Kollur.

Looking at the map, there are quite a few junctions and turns en route (after turning off from the NH48) - are they well signaged or will one need to reply on GPS/maps navigation ?
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2017, 09:37   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for that update
Seems like a great option to completely bypass Shivamogga and head to the Ayanur-Ripponpet-Hosanagara route to Kollur.

Looking at the map, there are quite a few junctions and turns en route (after turning off from the NH48) - are they well signaged or will one need to reply on GPS/maps navigation ?
I relied completely on Google maps for the trip. I remember seeing signboards, but there weren't many pointing to Kollur till the last leg. GPS is the best bet on this route is my take.
gadadhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2017, 08:43   #222
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The Ayanur exit on NH206 is not clearly marked if my memory serves me right. And since the road is not wide, it can easily be missed out. Rest seem to be OK. Also once past Ayanur there are not too many people on this road.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2017, 12:24   #223

Is the Davangere - Shivamogga - Rittponpet route quicker or the Kunigal - Chanrayapattana - Bhadravati - Shivamogga - route quicker t o reach Kollur? I am planning to go straight to Kollur from Bangalore. Start time is approximately 10 AM.
ajaycv2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2017, 08:39   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaycv2k View Post
Is the Davangere - Shivamogga - Rittponpet route quicker or the Kunigal - Chanrayapattana - Bhadravati - Shivamogga - route quicker t o reach Kollur? I am planning to go straight to Kollur from Bangalore. Start time is approximately 10 AM.
Davangere is quicker from my experience. I could do it in around 7.5 hrs with 45 mts break with a 5 am start, You can expect more traffic with a 10 am start.
gadadhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2017, 18:26   #225
BHPian

Hi,

Planning to visit Mookambika and Udupi Sree Krishna temple next week, travellers include a toddler, car is an elite i20 petrol.

Please suggest the best possible route and stay options at Kollur/Udupi.

Please advise which place to go first based on route quality.

Regards
Shailesh
aspire is offline   Reply With Quote