Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2013, 19:49   #31
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 94
Thanked: 58 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Kollur Mookambika : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You should have done :

Bangalore-Shimoga-Agumbe-Someshwar-Halady-Kollur.

Kollur-Udupi via NH17 is a quite bad around Kudapur which is given. In the other thread we were discussion about options to bypass the same.

See this other update by member @pariwar.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3283714 (Route Query-Bangalore-Kollur)
Amphere, I completely agree with you, this is the first time I realized that GPS can be crazy, my earlier experiences ( over past 7 months) have been good, my mistake, should have just followed what was suggested in Team BHP without trying to set this route on MMI, I went through the posts and replicated the same with Via points, however, it did not work out the way I thought it would have- experience is a bad teacher- she tests first and gives you the lessons later
Will now on go only with TBHP and google maps suggested therein from now-on - folks please learn this from my experience. DO NOT Trust MMI Maps on inter city/interstate drives
gops2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2013, 20:28   #32
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,784
Thanked: 7,454 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Kollur Mookambika : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by gops2009 View Post
Will now on go only with TBHP and google maps suggested therein from now-on - folks please learn this from my experience. DO NOT Trust MMI Maps on inter city/interstate drives
MMI maps are actually one of the best available. But the key point is any GPS device (with the best maps available) can a very bad master but they also they can be a very good servant. The way I use them is chalk out a route on a global basis before embarking on a trip and ask the GPS device running with MMI maps to follow that route. That way you can get best of both worlds.

Last edited by ampere : 4th November 2013 at 20:36.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 12:30   #33
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 94
Thanked: 58 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Kollur Mookambika : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The way I use them is chalk out a route on a global basis before embarking on a trip and ask the GPS device running with MMI maps to follow that route. That way you can get best of both worlds.
Hi Amphere,
I have tried doing this earlier, adding via points, but here too I was not too happy with the result ( it certainly may have been better than being a slave to the GPS though) Is there any efficient method you could suggest to get the best out of MMI on an interstate journey? Especially, if say for example you want to travel on the NH as long as is possible even if there may be a slighty shorter route using local roads?
gops2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2013, 19:26   #34
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,784
Thanked: 7,454 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Kollur Mookambika : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by gops2009 View Post
Hi Amphere,
I have tried doing this earlier, adding via points, but here too I was not too happy with the result ( it certainly may have been better than being a slave to the GPS though) Is there any efficient method you could suggest to get the best out of MMI on an interstate journey? Especially, if say for example you want to travel on the NH as long as is possible even if there may be a slighty shorter route using local roads?
A method I would suggest (Long method. But once set you can use it all the time)

- Install Maps (MMI/Garmin/Satguide) for Garmin on your computer (PC/Mac) (Mapsource/Basecamp)
- Once done do all route planning on your PC. (E.g. Point A to B via points P1...PN.)
- So A, B, P1...PN become Way points on your map.
- Connect the GPS to your PC and transfer these Way points to the device.
- Now when on road set GPS to go to point B via P1..PN in the same order that you want.

I think in spite of routing constraints (toll/non-toll, SH/NH etc), the device would route the constraints that you have given. Also the constrained route you would have seen on the PC before transferring the points to the GPS device. All these details can be discussed in the following thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...s-etc-204.html (The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc))

Last edited by ampere : 16th November 2013 at 19:28.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2013, 00:36   #35
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,048
Thanked: 550 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Kollur Mookambika : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
A method I would suggest (Long method. But once set you can use it all the time)
I tried something similar the last time I travelled to Kollur. But I happened to add a couple of waypoints inside Bangalore city since I did not want to take the route that Sygic/MMI suggested.

It so happened that during the drive I took a slightly different route skipping one of the waypoints inside the city that I had programmed, and Sygic kept instructing me to take a U turn to go back to the skipped waypoint. (Even at Shimoga it wanted me to take a U turn and go back to touch the waypoint at Bangalore !! )

There must surely have been some way to cancel that waypoint, but since I wasn't really depending on Sygic to give me directions, I didn't bother doing it. I just needed to look up the points at which I needed to take turns and the offline maps feature of Sygic did help me in that aspect.
kala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2013, 19:38   #36
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8
Thanked: 0 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Kollur Mookambika : Route Queries

Team - Planning for a trip to Sigandur from Bangalore on Dec 7 and 8, 2013 - Please provide me with the latest update on the road conditions and also confirm if ghat driving is involved (as my mother is scared of ghats)
deucallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2013, 21:09   #37
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,784
Thanked: 7,454 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Kollur Mookambika : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucallion View Post
Team - Planning for a trip to Sigandur from Bangalore on Dec 7 and 8, 2013 - Please provide me with the latest update on the road conditions and also confirm if ghat driving is involved (as my mother is scared of ghats)
Which route do you plan to take ? Sagar/Jog followed by Kargal SH?
I have not seen any update on the Jog-Bhatkal SH.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 00:19   #38
A.R
BHPian
 
A.R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 149
Thanked: 10 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Kollur Mookambika : Route Queries

Just did Bangalore - Kollur and back last Sunday. I followed both routes:

Onward: Bangalore - Tumkur - Kadur - Shimoga - Hosanagara - Kollur
This route was fine till somewhere near hosanagara. I left home at 5 am and was in Shimoga by 9 am. The last 60 kms was horrible. No road basically but for 10 kms in between on the ghats where there were concrete roads. This part took me around 2+ hours.



Return: Kollur - Halady - Agumbe - Shimoga - Tumkur - Bangalore

Return route was good, mostly good roads but single tracks and not so wide ones initially.

Overall both routes took about 7 hours. If you have a low slung car, don't even try the onward route mentioned.
A.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 00:58   #39
BHPian
 
ashkamath's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Vasco-Goa
Posts: 341
Thanked: 306 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Kollur Mookambika : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I have not seen any update on the Jog-Bhatkal SH.
Ampere, this is a travelogue where in Tarique2002i travelled from Bangalore to Goa Via Hubli and returned via the coastal route via Mangalore. During his return drive he took a detour from Honnavar to Jog ( to enjoy the falls), then returned back to Honnavar onward towards Bhatkal, Udupi and Mangalore and took the SHiradi ghat back home.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...er-2013-a.html (Bangalore to Goa & more: November 2013)

As per his driving experience, the road from Jog to Bhatkal is quite good. But then on the road ceases to exist at Shirur and with intermittent worst patches upto Kundapur, then on roads are better but because of the road widening work undergoing and the traffic in general in this coastal route, maintaining any decent speed is not possible.

I had been on this road last week and I suggest this shiroor byndoor section ( from where south kanara / Dakshina kannada district starts) be covered in day time coz it is in real bad shape. But rest of the road is good
ashkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 07:33   #40
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,784
Thanked: 7,454 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Kollur Mookambika : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Ampere, this is a travelogue where in Tarique2002i travelled from Bangalore to Goa Via Hubli and returned via the coastal route via Mangalore. During his return drive he took a detour from Honnavar to Jog ( to enjoy the falls), then returned back to Honnavar onward towards Bhatkal, Udupi and Mangalore and took the SHiradi ghat back home.

@ashkamath,

I did look at that TL. He drove from Honnavar to Jog and back on the NH206. What I refer to is the Jog-Bhatkal SH which goes via Kargal. This road is hardly taken but by the KSRTC buses who ply for that route alone. There is a deviation from this SH which can take you to Kollur. And the same deviation is also for the temple at Sigandur. These road conditions are hardly known. That is the route which I was referring to.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 10:23   #41
BHPian
 
ashkamath's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Vasco-Goa
Posts: 341
Thanked: 306 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Kollur Mookambika : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
@ashkamath,

I did look at that TL. He drove from Honnavar to Jog and back on the NH206. What I refer to is the Jog-Bhatkal SH which goes via Kargal. This road is hardly taken but by the KSRTC buses who ply for that route alone. There is a deviation from this SH which can take you to Kollur. And the same deviation is also for the temple at Sigandur. These road conditions are hardly known. That is the route which I was referring to.
Thanks for the info Ampere.
ashkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 10:31   #42
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,784
Thanked: 7,454 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Kollur Mookambika : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Thanks for the info Ampere.
By the way I also realised later that the other way to get to this temple is drive from Sagar to the backwaters of Lingamakki. Cross the river on a ferry. (Even cars are transferred) and visit the temple. In fact looks like that is what most people visiting the temple at Sigandur do; as end to end road drive is quite a round about while coming via Shimoga side of 206.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 10:53   #43
BHPian
 
ashkamath's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Vasco-Goa
Posts: 341
Thanked: 306 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Kollur Mookambika : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
By the way I also realised later that the other way to get to this temple is drive from Sagar to the backwaters of Lingamakki. Cross the river on a ferry. (Even cars are transferred) and visit the temple. In fact looks like that is what most people visiting the temple at Sigandur do; as end to end road drive is quite a round about while coming via Shimoga side of 206.
Yes Ampere, I have been on the this road crossing the ferry from Shimoga to Kundapur via Kollur and it is one of the worst possible road you can imagine I had a brake failure while driving at high speed in this road once (that is a story I will tell someday)
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore to Kollur Mookambika : Route Queries-dscn0340-copy.jpg  

Bangalore to Kollur Mookambika : Route Queries-dscn0344-copy.jpg  

ashkamath is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 20:15   #44
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,062
Thanked: 3,367 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Kollur Mookambika : Route Queries

How does one get to Sigandur from Kollur ? How are the roads and how long will it take ?
Is there an option of ferry for this journey from nearby Kollur ? (I think it's only from Sagar/Jog side but wanted to confirm).

Last edited by NPV : 2nd December 2013 at 20:24.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 20:23   #45
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,784
Thanked: 7,454 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Kollur Mookambika : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
How does one get to Sigandur from Kollur ? How are the roads and how long will it take ?
Is there an option of ferry for this journey from nearby Kollur ?
Kollur and Sigandur are on the same side of the river (south of Linganamakki). So you dont need a ferry. You can drive from Kollur. But I dont know if you can call it a road! Its about 50km one way.

Route Link
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Route Query-Bangalore-Kollur PAVAN KADAM Route / Travel Queries 131 12th August 2016 19:06
Trivandrum - Kollur (Mookambika) query redfire Route / Travel Queries 89 17th May 2016 14:29
Bangalore to Kollur (Mookambika) FuelInjector Travelogues 10 19th January 2015 08:04
My visit to Kollur Mookambika - Part 3 of the original Mangalore/Manipal series theMAG Travelogues 16 24th November 2011 18:20


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:48.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks