Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 8th June 2014, 09:19   #76
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Bangalore to Kollur Mookambika : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
I don't think the Kollur-Nittur-Sampekatte-Hosanagara road has any ferries. (This was the road that was supposed to have been undergoing concreting work a while back). Google Maps shows another road from Kodachadri to Sampekatte that does not touch Nittur - may be this is the one that has the ferry.
My friend did say he took another route on the return journey so that he could board the ferry, probably my post wasn't very clear . Will find out the details soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
In fact take the road from Tirthahalli to Mani and there on to Hulikal! That would be even better.
This was on the wishlist/plan during our visit, but could not do it, definitely next time and hopefully roads around the place will improve as well.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2014, 09:35   #77
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
This was on the wishlist/plan during our visit, but could not do it, definitely next time and hopefully roads around the place will improve as well.
I think you can go till Mani and come back. But beyond Mani, the road to Hulikal, I know it exists. But I am not sure about it. Its quite desolate out there. Drive to Mani itself is about 25 km from Thirthahalli-Agumbe road. And its quite lonely.

As to Mani I had posted a couple of snaps earlier. Here cross linking the same.

ampere is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2014, 15:32   #78
BHPian

Which is the best route to go to Kollur now? Is the Shimoga - Hosanagar route better or going through Mangalore better? If the Shimoga route is taken, how is the road condition after deviating from NH-206?
guyfrmblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2014, 11:22   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Which is the best route to go to Kollur now? Is the Shimoga - Hosanagar route better or going through Mangalore better? If the Shimoga route is taken, how is the road condition after deviating from NH-206?
The roads till Hosanagar is good but its a single way with very less traffic. You should be very careful whenever any of the private busses passes you.

After Nittur almost till Kollur road condition is bad but can be driven at an average speed of 30.
meetbadri is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2014, 11:40   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
The best is :

Shimoga-Theerathahalli-Agumbe-Someshwar-Vandse-Kollur. Belter of a road till Agumbe; decent ghat roads to Someshwar, average roads to Vandse and then again belter till Kollur.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2014, 13:40   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetbadri View Post
After Nittur almost till Kollur road condition is bad but can be driven at an average speed of 30.
When you say bad, is it motorable for a low slung car like city? is the road very potholed? Approx how many KMs are potholed? All the way to the temple?
sudeepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2014, 14:33   #82
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
When you say bad, is it motorable for a low slung car like city? is the road very potholed? Approx how many KMs are potholed? All the way to the temple?
Dont take the Nittur road. It much better to go via Agumbe. Any specific reason why you were looking to go via Nittur?
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2014, 14:54   #83
BHPian

Quote:
It is in drivable condition with some potholes for about 30 to 40 Kms distance. Also As Amepere suggested you can also take Agumbe route via Shimoga or another route

Bangalore -> Hassan -> Belur -> Sringeri -> Agumbe -> Halady -> Kollur.
meetbadri is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2014, 15:07   #84
Team-BHP Support

+1 to @meetbadri.

You can either go either via Shimoga to Agumbe or via Shringeri.
I think Shirgeri route would be a bit shorter, but has more winding roads, while Shimoga is has much more straighter roads.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2014, 15:21   #85
BANNED

Recently I did Byse, Hosanagar, Shimoga, Bangalore. You can check this route too. I would say only few KM is bad before Hosanagar.
If you like to do some experiment then you can also choose the Sagar-Sigandure road and cross the ferry. After that its just a few KM to Kollur !

All roads are good.
arin_12 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2014, 15:39   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Dont take the Nittur road. It much better to go via Agumbe. Any specific reason why you were looking to go via Nittur?
Thanks, it seemed like the route to Agumbe via Shimoga was longer by about 30-40 KMs.
sudeepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2014, 16:27   #87
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks, it seemed like the route to Agumbe via Shimoga was longer by about 30-40 KMs.
True. But its condition is very good. It makes for a very pleasant drive. Of source so is the Aldur, Balehonnur-Sringeri stretch. May be try one while going and the other while coming back.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2014, 22:59   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetbadri View Post
Bangalore -> Hassan -> Belur -> Sringeri -> Agumbe -> Halady -> Kollur.
One query on this route - do I have to go via Chikmagalur to go from Belur to Aldur? I believe there is a route via Gendehalli. Any idea how it is?
cool_dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2014, 23:11   #89
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
One query on this route - do I have to go via Chikmagalur to go from Belur to Aldur? I believe there is a route via Gendehalli. Any idea how it is?
Yes, the road to Aldur from Belur goes via Chikkamagulur. You will have to take it.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2014, 20:10   #90
BHPian

I have to go to Byndoor (this weekend). From the last a few pages from Bangalore-Mangalore thread, is Shiradi ghat my best option? Last time (2 yrs) I went through Shimoga - Nagara - Kollur - Byndoor but the road was narrow (sometimes passing a bus is a lot of work) and some patches were bad. This road is shorter than via Mangalore but google map suggests it'll take an hour less because better average speed.
kousik is offline   Reply With Quote