Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2010, 13:24   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 7
Thanked: 0 Times
Unhappy Lost licence- out of state- in a fix- long drive - help required

Dear all,

I have lost my DL issued from Punjab. I am currently in Karnataka.
I am leaving karnataka for good in one month and plan to drive back.

I have photocopy of my DL with me (front page)..average quality b/w

RTO in punjab says I need to be there in person to get license as they issue only plastic card type license. Doesnt make sense to spend 8000+ to go and get a license and come back.

RTO in bangalore can give me duplicate only if my address in license is bangalore... which it is not. Otherwise I have to go learner - dl route which takes more than 30 days.

Any way out?
What would one do on a long trip if one lost the license on the way?
Will FIR + identification proof + photocopy work?

please help... thanks in advance.
reply_amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 13:41   #2
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: NOIDA
Posts: 201
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reply_amit View Post
Dear all,

I have lost my DL issued from Punjab. I am currently in Karnataka.
I am leaving karnataka for good in one month and plan to drive back.

I have photocopy of my DL with me (front page)..average quality b/w

RTO in punjab says I need to be there in person to get license as they issue only plastic card type license. Doesnt make sense to spend 8000+ to go and get a license and come back.

RTO in bangalore can give me duplicate only if my address in license is bangalore... which it is not. Otherwise I have to go learner - dl route which takes more than 30 days.

Any way out?
What would one do on a long trip if one lost the license on the way?
Will FIR + identification proof + photocopy work? Yes an FIR Copy would definately work nothing to worry,
please help... thanks in advance.
In case you are asked for your DL anywhere you can show the Photostate & if they insist on original show them FIR Copy normally you can get around till one month.Wear Seat belt & follow traffic rule - as rightly said prevention is better than cure - but nothing to be worried off.

FIR Copy is good evidenced + you have a photostate as well of DL
anupam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 13:53   #3
BHPian
 
rg_chn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: K.S.A
Posts: 343
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Go to a Police Station, file an FIR, but remeber to keep the photocopy with you. If required take a few more copies, just to be on the safer side. Also, keep some other ID proof in hand, like either a passport or PAN, anything of that sort. You shouldn't have any further problems.
rg_chn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 14:09   #4
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 528
Thanked: 58 Times
Default

Cool down man, its easy to get new license then getting a duplicate copy of your original license in India. Time taken in both process is almost same, so go for learner and then take new one in Karnataka in 30 days time.

But launch a police complaint on safer side.
sam003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 14:19   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,534
Thanked: 984 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg_chn View Post
Go to a Police Station, file an FIR, but remeber to keep the photocopy with you. If required take a few more copies, just to be on the safer side. Also, keep some other ID proof in hand, like either a passport or PAN, anything of that sort. You shouldn't have any further problems.
This would be the best possible thing to do. Get the FIR copy, have it photo copied and keep some copies with you always. And also the photo copy of the DL. Once you are out of Karnataka, go back to Punjab RTO and get your DL from where it was originally issued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003 View Post
Cool down man, its easy to get new license then getting a duplicate copy of your original license in India. Time taken in both process is almost same, so go for learner and then take new one in Karnataka in 30 days time.

But launch a police complaint on safer side.
He is leaving Karnataka for good in one month. So i guess a license in Karnataka will be of no good for him if he is going back to his hometown.
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 15:04   #6
BHPian
 
Musaafir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 77
Thanked: 31 Times
Default

Yes, getting a duplicate license seems to be difficult in India. In 2007, I wanted to get a duplicate license in Mumbai as my original license was mutilated. The advise I received was to claim that the original license was lost and get a new one. I didnít have to go thru the Learning License route though as my original license was also issued in Mumbai.
You may also try to contact local branch of Automobile Association. I think they will serve only the members, but if you are a member the process would become easier.
All the best.
Musaafir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 15:39   #7
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 613
Thanked: 116 Times
Default

I once lost my license, which was issued from my home town Bulandshahr in UP. I went to the RTO office, met a known RTO agent. He asked for the photo-copy of my DL and 2 passport size photos and gave me a new one in like 1 hour. Total expense INR 150.

Ask you family in Punjab to contact some RTO agent, this is a fairly simple process and you'll get a duplicate DL easily.

\N
ntomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 16:00   #8
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Swindon, UK
Posts: 696
Thanked: 84 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
I once lost my license, which was issued from my home town Bulandshahr in UP. I went to the RTO office, met a known RTO agent. He asked for the photo-copy of my DL and 2 passport size photos and gave me a new one in like 1 hour. Total expense INR 150.

Ask you family in Punjab to contact some RTO agent, this is a fairly simple process and you'll get a duplicate DL easily.

\N
This is the best option. Even though it is not the correct way as per the rules, it is the best. Otherwise ask some agent in Karnataka to get a new one made. They can do it in a day.
Live To Jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2010, 14:12   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 7
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Thanks guys. RTO in my city only issues cards these days. so i am required to be in person.
reply_amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2010, 14:50   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
aargee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: KATN
Posts: 4,694
Thanked: 2,115 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupam00 View Post
In case you are asked for your DL anywhere you can show the Photostate & if they insist on original show them FIR Copy normally you can get around till one month.Wear Seat belt & follow traffic rule - as rightly said prevention is better than cure - but nothing to be worried off.

FIR Copy is good evidenced + you have a photostate as well of DL
^^^ is the best option.

Otherwise, persuade a public notary or gazetted officer (probably a relative of yours) to attest on the photocopy of your DL. If you're known to them personally they'll not want to see your originals. Any attested copy is equivalent to its originals. In either case file an FIR without fail.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2010, 15:23   #11
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: NOIDA
Posts: 201
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
^^^ is the best option.

Otherwise, persuade a public notary or gazetted officer (probably a relative of yours) to attest on the photocopy of your DL. If you're known to them personally they'll not want to see your originals. Any attested copy is equivalent to its originals. In either case file an FIR without fail.
Thank you


Thanks & Regards
anupam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Driving Licence renewal woes - Medical fitness certificate required! Lukeskywalker Street Experiences 124 11th October 2017 13:09
Buy car in state or out of state (Major price difference) autoenthusiast The Indian Car Scene 49 14th July 2017 01:21
Lost my driving licence. Then got a challan for rash driving! DNM Street Experiences 36 2nd March 2011 16:25
Urgent - Passport lost in different state DCEite Shifting gears 5 11th March 2010 23:47
Dwarka-Gujarat: A long drive to the lost city of atlantis genesis Travelogues 12 24th May 2009 11:22


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:42.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks