Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2010, 15:57   #1
BHPian
 
achopraa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dilli
Posts: 292
Thanked: 104 Times
Post Phoren Trip - Malaysia - Singapore Advice Reqd.

Hi Guys,

A few days back, on the way to office this is what I heard (on FM Radio)

Now fly from Delhi to KL in just 4999.
As soon as I reached office, I logged on to their site and started searching for the availability of fares. The fares were damn cheap. Thus the travel bug bit me.
I wanted to keep the travelling costs to minimum and try spending on the Hotels and Shopping for wifey and kiddo.

The flights are available from August onwards and also I won't be able to go before that due to personal and official commitments. Cutting the whole story short, I am planning for a 7Nights/Days trip.
The dates and days are fixed.


Day 0: Saturday: Leaving Delhi on Saturday Night and reaching KL on Sunday Early Morning
Day 8: Sunday: Leaving KL by evening flight and reaching Delhi on Sunday evening.

I want this to be a leisure trip as I will be a 2.5year old kid.
So, this is my tentative iternary

Day 1: Sunday: Reach KL early morning and catch a flight to Singapore.
Day 2: Monday: Singapore
Day 3: Tuesday: Singapore
Day 4: Wednesday: Leave Singapore early morning and catch a flight to Langkawi.
Day 5: Thursday: Langkawi
Day 6: Friday: Leave Langkawi late evening and catch a flight to KL.
Day 7: Saturday: KL
Day 8: Sunday: Leave KL late evening and catch a flight to Delhi.

Planning to travel intercities by flights (all low costs) for 2 reasons:-
1. Flights are damn cheap and quick which gives us more time to spend at a place.
2. Travelling with my kiddo in a couch is troublesome
3. He likes the sound of plane engine

With the above almost finalised, I now need advice on the places to be covered and the Hotels for stay.
I dont want too many things to be covered. Just Good and Must Sees.
First I would like to seek advice for Singapore.
1. Places to be seen.
2. Good Hotels
3. How to roam around in city (Through a travel coach/taxi/some other means).

I have gone through some of the related forums and hence I know that guys here can give the best information and advice.
achopraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 16:07   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
ASHISHPALLOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MH42
Posts: 1,987
Thanked: 285 Times
Default

hi,
I know which airline you are talking of. shhhhhh...
Here is my story about the same in this thread. Read on what-see-malaysia-singapore.html

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 10th February 2010 at 16:13.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 16:18   #3
BHPian
 
achopraa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dilli
Posts: 292
Thanked: 104 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
hi,
Here is my story about the same in this thread.
Man, I have already gone through yours and one more Langkawi's thread and have already noted many points. I am eagerly awaiting your Post-trip travelogue.

On another note, how have you manged for the VISAs and the travel insurance? Please provide details.
Also PM me the hotels you would be staying at and the monies involved.

Last edited by achopraa : 10th February 2010 at 16:20.
achopraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 16:27   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
ASHISHPALLOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MH42
Posts: 1,987
Thanked: 285 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by achopraa View Post
On another note, how have you manged for the VISAs and the travel insurance? Please provide details.
Also PM me the hotels you would be staying at and the monies involved.
About visa, its very easy and simple.
I logged on to Singapore consulate site in Mumbai and found partner travel agent list. I approached them directly and done.
Singapore plus Malaysian visa costed me rs 2800 per person.

For travel insurance, log on Royal Sundaram. they have competative price.
Under the age of 40, for 10 day classic silver plus insurance, i paid rs 351 and for above 40 age, i paid rs 441.

For other details like hotels, transportation, food and cost, you have to wait untill first week of march to read my super economical travel story.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 10th February 2010 at 16:31.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 17:16   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
V-16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 4,575
Thanked: 844 Times
Default

Are you sure about the price of the ticket? IM sure its taxes extra. Please find out.

Anyways, Congrats on your choosing the Far East (do I sound like an agent?)

Singapore is a great country city and very child friendly too. As you are traveling with a child, try to restrict your stay in and around the Orchard street area as that is where you will be spending most of your time. Be warned to check if there are no Trade fairs around the time you plan to visit or the rates go sky high. That can be easily checked from the net. Try Coming soon page | register your domain at register.gkg.net for reservations or at least to find out what the prevalent rates are.

To travel in Singapore the best way is the MRT trains. They go almost everywhere and are very easy to travel in. In Orchard Road, the Phoenix hotel has the MRT within the hotel itself. Bus is another great option if you can figure out the routes. Good news is almost everybody speaks English in Singapore.

At the Hotel, your child will not be charged as he can sleep with you guys on the same bed. Most hotels will offer you a breakfast included deal, take that.

[b]Places to see around Singapore are:

1) Jurong Bird park - Day Trip

2) The Night Safari at the Zoo, your kid will be thrilled to bits. Check out the different timings available. One can do this on the same day that one plans Jurong Park.

3) Sentosa Island - Take a MRT/taxi to the cable car from Singapore, this is a fun filled trip for the whole family and a must do for all ages. a Whole day trip.

In the city see the Serangoon road or Little India.
Shop at Mohd. Mustafa) and change your currency at this place as it offers the highest exchange rate eat at Apollo Banana Leaf or Muthu's Curry House for South Indian style meals, both non veg and veg.

If you can manage to find out where Niranjan Singh is. He is situated just around the corner in a warehouse from Mohd. Mustafa. He has the best deals in perfumes and certain electronics. Ask anyone, almost everyone knows him.
For shopping you dont have to step outside of Orchard street malls and dept stores.
For other electronics go to Sim Lim Square

Visit the Newton Circus Hawker plaza which is open till almost 4:00 am for the best street food one can eat.

Visit Clark Quay and Boat Quay, beautiful cafes, bars, restaurants and entertainment places by the waterfront but be careful of restaurants displaying live sea food outside. Always ask for the price before you go in such places or they will rip you with their prices later. Some even charge for the wet tissue and nuts they offer as soon as you are seated, not telling you that it carries an additional charge.

Geylang is another great street food area but is a little far and is a Red light area so your wife may not be amused.

For great food visit the Takashimaya food court situated at the basement of the Takashimaya store at Orchard street.

Wear light airy clothing as the weather can be a killer and it gets really hot and humid in the day and night. Maybe occasional light showers.


GST is a type of a tax like Vat charged on everything. While shopping above a certain amount in a single bill, you can get a GST refund from the airposrt so find out about the rules regarding that. If you seek a refund, you will have to fill in forms at the store and get a stamp so when you plan to buy something of a big value, carry your passport along as you will have to show it at the store GST refund counter.
If seeking a refund, which you should, then reach the airport at least an hour or so before the regular time. There are generally long ques seeking refund.

Take a taxi to and fro the city. IF you are not carrying any large bags i.e. more than two, then take a regular cab, to and fro the airport, available very easily. Dont get conned by the London Cab drivers who try to tell you their deal is the best.

Remember to travel light as every airline charges very heavily for excess luggage, i think its 14 SD for a kilo. so try to maintain a max 20 kg per person weight limit plus additional in your handbags.

Enjoy and happy holidays
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 17:31   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
ASHISHPALLOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MH42
Posts: 1,987
Thanked: 285 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Are you sure about the price of the ticket? IM sure its taxes extra. Please find out.
sirji,
The price is inclusive of taxes.[ Do i sound like agent!!:]
The flight is availabale from Mumbai also from 6th may for return at rs 9709 onlyyyy.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 17:43   #7
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 234
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
hi,
I know which airline you are talking of. shhhhhh...
Here is my story about the same in this thread. Read on what-see-malaysia-singapore.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by achopraa View Post
Hi Guys,

A few days back, on the way to office this is what I heard (on FM Radio)

Now fly from Delhi to KL in just 4999.
As soon as I reached office, I logged on to their site and started searching for the availability of fares. The fares were damn cheap. Thus the travel bug bit me.
I wanted to keep the travelling costs to minimum and try spending on the Hotels and Shopping for wifey and kiddo.

The flights are available from August onwards and also I won't be able to go before that due to personal and official commitments. Cutting the whole story short, I am planning for a 7Nights/Days trip.
The dates and days are fixed.


Day 0: Saturday: Leaving Delhi on Saturday Night and reaching KL on Sunday Early Morning
Day 8: Sunday: Leaving KL by evening flight and reaching Delhi on Sunday evening.

I want this to be a leisure trip as I will be a 2.5year old kid.
So, this is my tentative iternary

Day 1: Sunday: Reach KL early morning and catch a flight to Singapore.
Day 2: Monday: Singapore
Day 3: Tuesday: Singapore
Day 4: Wednesday: Leave Singapore early morning and catch a flight to Langkawi.
Day 5: Thursday: Langkawi
Day 6: Friday: Leave Langkawi late evening and catch a flight to KL.
Day 7: Saturday: KL
Day 8: Sunday: Leave KL late evening and catch a flight to Delhi.

Planning to travel intercities by flights (all low costs) for 2 reasons:-
1. Flights are damn cheap and quick which gives us more time to spend at a place.
2. Travelling with my kiddo in a couch is troublesome
3. He likes the sound of plane engine

With the above almost finalised, I now need advice on the places to be covered and the Hotels for stay.
I dont want too many things to be covered. Just Good and Must Sees.
First I would like to seek advice for Singapore.
1. Places to be seen.
2. Good Hotels
3. How to roam around in city (Through a travel coach/taxi/some other means).

I have gone through some of the related forums and hence I know that guys here can give the best information and advice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
sirji,
The price is inclusive of taxes.[ Do i sound like agent!!:]
The flight is availabale from Mumbai also from 6th may for return at rs 9709 onlyyyy.
@Ashish : You are really being secretive about airlines/site you are using for flight booking . I think it will be really helpful to all of us here if you can give direct URL/link along with briefing.

Already been to Sing/Mal/Thailand and then also been to dubai. Most of things to visit is already mentioned here.

I will say , carry minimum luggage, dont carry loads of clothing. Dont forget to carry a steam iron and a travel charger.
idea1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 20:12   #8
BHPian
 
achopraa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dilli
Posts: 292
Thanked: 104 Times
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by idea1979 View Post
@Ashish : You are really being secretive about airlines/site you are using for flight booking . I think it will be really helpful to all of us here if you can give direct URL/link along with briefing.

Already been to Sing/Mal/Thailand and then also been to dubai. Most of things to visit is already mentioned here.

I will say , carry minimum luggage, dont carry loads of clothing. Dont forget to carry a steam iron and a travel charger.
Sorry Ashish for letting cat out, but I think fellow members should get benefit.
Here it is.... Welcome to AirAsia.com, The World's Best Low-Cost Airline
and Welcome To Tiger Airways

Airfare for 3PAX = 30605 (including all the taxes 30Kgs of Checked-in baggage and meals for all onwards and return and SKYBUS charges)
Is se sasta milega kya?

PAYMENT Details


DEL - KUL KUL - DEL Total


10,260.00INR 10,260.00INR 20,520.00INR




Airport Fees 4,050.00INR



Airport Tax 1,050.00INR




Passenger Service Fees 687.00INR




Supersize Regular (Up to 15kg)

2,250.00INR



Convenience fee

420.00INR



Meal

1,050.00INR



Skybus

577.80INR





Total Amount


30,604.80INR




Will Log-in again in a while for more queries and more details.
achopraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 21:22   #9
BHPian
 
achopraa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dilli
Posts: 292
Thanked: 104 Times
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Are you sure about the price of the ticket? IM sure its taxes extra. Please find out.

Anyways, Congrats on your choosing the Far East (do I sound like an agent?)

Singapore is a great country city and very child friendly too.

Enjoy and happy holidays
This is why I popped the question here for advice. You guys are simply best.
So here's what I plan for my stay at Singapore Trip (as of now).

DAY 1: Sunday: Check-in the Hotel at Orchard Road (Will be advanced book). Google says its around 21Km away from Airport.
DAY 1: Sun-Noon: Visit Jurong Bird Park (Around 20Kms from Orchard Road)
DAY 1: Evening: Visit Night Safari (20 Kms from Juron Bird Park and Orchard Road) - Might skip and do on DAY 3 if my son is tired after hectic travel.

DAY 2: Sentosa Island.

DAY 3: Simi Lim Square/Serangoon Road/Little India

This covered pretty much(exactly) what you told and what I had idea about.

Will do some more googling and then move on to Next destination.
Quote:
Originally Posted by idea1979 View Post
@Ashish : You are really being secretive about airlines/site you are using for flight booking . I think it will be really helpful to all of us here if you can give direct URL/link along with briefing.

Already been to Sing/Mal/Thailand and then also been to dubai. Most of things to visit is already mentioned here.

I will say , carry minimum luggage, dont carry loads of clothing. Dont forget to carry a steam iron and a travel charger.
I have already let the cat loose.
Thanks for reminding me of the charger.

OT: Though its 6 months to go, but I believe to arrange trip myself (with the help of others) and suit my needs. There is a different kind of satisfaction and So I wanna plan early. I was to be in UK for 2 days and I roamed London all by myself just with the help of maps, pre-peparation and loads of googling.
achopraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2010, 22:37   #10
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 234
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by achopraa View Post
Sorry Ashish for letting cat out, but I think fellow members should get benefit.
Here it is.... Welcome to AirAsia.com, The World's Best Low-Cost Airline
and Welcome To Tiger Airways

Airfare for 3PAX = 30605 (including all the taxes 30Kgs of Checked-in baggage and meals for all onwards and return and SKYBUS charges)
Is se sasta milega kya?

PAYMENT Details


DEL - KUL KUL - DEL Total


10,260.00INR 10,260.00INR 20,520.00INR




Airport Fees 4,050.00INR



Airport Tax 1,050.00INR




Passenger Service Fees 687.00INR




Supersize Regular (Up to 15kg)

2,250.00INR



Convenience fee

420.00INR



Meal

1,050.00INR



Skybus

577.80INR





Total Amount


30,604.80INR




Will Log-in again in a while for more queries and more details.

Thanks a lot !! Sharing helps.

I made my trip through Kesari. I might have paid a bit on higher side. But trip was worth every panny paid.
idea1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 08:25   #11
BHPian
 
achopraa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dilli
Posts: 292
Thanked: 104 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by idea1979 View Post
Thanks a lot !! Sharing helps.

I made my trip through Kesari. I might have paid a bit on higher side. But trip was worth every panny paid.
I am thinking of booking the hotels, transfers, visas and the half day sightseeing through the agents as in case of any hassles in phoren, I can reach someone.
I am getting some good deals from TUI.

How much did it cost all inclusive through Kesari?
I am getting quotes to the tune of around 40-60K per adult and around 30-40K for child (Flights, Hotels, Transfers, selective sightseeing and Visas). The transfers for KUL-SIN is by coach and SIN-LGK, LGK-KUL transfers are not included in the lower end costs.
I wanna squeeze as much time possible and as advised by fellow members, planning to take flights for inter-cities.

Hey Guys,

Just a Query. My flight will be reaching KL at around 4:30 in the morning and I wanna catch onward flight to Singapore.
Since both the flights operate from KL-LCCT, is a time gap of 3hrs 15minutes suffcient (including buffer)?

Last edited by achopraa : 12th February 2010 at 08:37.
achopraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 09:52   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
ASHISHPALLOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MH42
Posts: 1,987
Thanked: 285 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by achopraa View Post
Just a Query. My flight will be reaching KL at around 4:30 in the morning and I wanna catch onward flight to Singapore.
Since both the flights operate from KL-LCCT, is a time gap of 3hrs 15minutes suffcient (including buffer)?
First flight to singapore from lcct is at 6:05 am and so on.
I think, it is more than sufficient time of 3 hours for onward connectivity.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 10:58   #13
BHPian
 
achopraa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dilli
Posts: 292
Thanked: 104 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
First flight to singapore from lcct is at 6:05 am and so on.
I think, it is more than sufficient time of 3 hours for onward connectivity.
I am planning to take the second flight for the reason
1. Freshen up at airport.
2. Stretch a bit.
3. Any flight delays.
4. Have some chai Nashta.

I dont think we will have to do Immigration check at LCCT while going for onward journey. Any clue?
BTW, what are your travel dates. When you are there, can you just check and get the above information for me.

Last edited by achopraa : 12th February 2010 at 11:00.
achopraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 11:01   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
ASHISHPALLOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MH42
Posts: 1,987
Thanked: 285 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by achopraa View Post
I dont think we will have to do Immigration check at LCCT while going for onward journey. Any clue?
As the flight is not direct and the carrier is point to point,
you have to do immigration.
please, check with carrier but i am 100% sure.

EDIT: ok, i will check it for you while i will be there.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 12th February 2010 at 11:02.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 11:10   #15
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kochi, Bangalore
Posts: 203
Thanked: 69 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by achopraa View Post
DAY 1: Sunday: Check-in the Hotel at Orchard Road (Will be advanced book). Google says its around 21Km away from Airport.
DAY 1: Sun-Noon: Visit Jurong Bird Park (Around 20Kms from Orchard Road)
DAY 1: Evening: Visit Night Safari (20 Kms from Juron Bird Park and Orchard Road) - Might skip and do on DAY 3 if my son is tired after hectic travel.

DAY 2: Sentosa Island.

DAY 3: Simi Lim Square/Serangoon Road/Little India


1. Jurong Bird park. Spend lot of time there. I think half a day will be too less.
Must watch things at Jurong Bird park.
- Birds of prey show

2. Night safari.
Must watch things at Jurong Bird park.
- Creatures of the night show. It start from 8:30pm

3. Sentosa island. Better plan a full day for this and buy tickets online the day before itself. Otherwise you may have to waste time standing in queue.
Must watch things at Jurong Bird park.
- Songs of the sea

4. Sim Lim square.
This is a shopping mall for all electronics goods. You can try out Funan Mall and peninsula Plaza also.
ArunV is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What to see in Malaysia and Singapore ASHISHPALLOD Route / Travel Queries 245 1st October 2017 22:12
Malaysia,Bintan Is., Singapore ramkya1 Travelogues 10 7th August 2007 15:48


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:28.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks