Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 10th February 2010, 19:51   #1
BHPian

Default Need advice on road trip to Ladakh in Mid April

Hello Everyone,

I am palnning to do a road trip to Ladakh from New Delhi in mid april. Does anybody know how the road conditions are during that peroid of month, and also how the weather is going to be like in Ladakh in April ?
NullRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 19:55   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Will the roads be open in mid april?
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 21:22   #3
BHPian

Srinagar - Leh road will be open by April. But Manali - Leh will open only by end of May.
Holyghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 23:57   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
Srinagar - Leh road will be open by April. But Manali - Leh will open only by end of May.
what about from Srinagar - Leh - Ladakh is that going to be open in April?
Old 11th February 2010, 15:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
With heavy snowfall in both these places this week, expect the timelines to shift.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2010, 16:06   #6
Team-BHP Support

You can fly into ladakh in mid april. The Srinagar route "may open", but then it may not. As for Rohtang route, not before early may.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 00:17   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
You can fly into ladakh in mid april. The Srinagar route "may open", but then it may not. As for Rohtang route, not before early may.
Well after flying for almost 20 hours to India, I just dont feel like flying again from New Delhi to Ladakh. I was looking forward towards enjoying the road trip to Ladakh. Well I will see if I cant make it to Ladkah then its going to be upto Leh then. I will be driving a 4*4 Scorpio manual with 2 more mates with me, should be fun I guess and hopefullly the routes will stay out of snow.

This is what I have in mind

Going - New Delhi - Jammu - Srinagar - Leh - Ladakh
Return - Ladalh - Leh - Rohtang - Manali - Chandigarh - New Delhi
Old 14th February 2010, 18:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullRock View Post
Well after flying for almost 20 hours to India, I just dont feel like flying again from New Delhi to Ladakh. I was looking forward towards enjoying the road trip to Ladakh. Well I will see if I cant make it to Ladkah then its going to be upto Leh then. I will be driving a 4*4 Scorpio manual with 2 more mates with me, should be fun I guess and hopefullly the routes will stay out of snow.

This is what I have in mind

Going - New Delhi - Jammu - Srinagar - Leh - Ladakh
Return - Ladalh - Leh - Rohtang - Manali - Chandigarh - New Delhi
Just a small pointer, Ladakh is a region and Leh is the main city in it.

What all places are you planning to visit in the Ladakh region. Pangong Tso and Khardungla will be open in April as they were open even in December
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2010, 03:49   #9
BHPian

Oops my bad I didnt realize Leh is the capital of Ladakh . Well I dont know much about Ladakh so dont know what places to visit. I will need advise from anybody who has already been there about what places we can see there and what to do and what to avoid... I am just going through all the travelogues about Ladakh and making notes.
Old 15th February 2010, 11:14   #10
Team-BHP Support

Do not bank upon the sringar route being open in April. By end april you have a chance, but with the heavy snowfall thats happening, there is a good chance that the road opens only end april.
So plan accordingly
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2010, 11:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullRock View Post
Oops my bad I didnt realize Leh is the capital of Ladakh . Well I dont know much about Ladakh so dont know what places to visit. I will need advise from anybody who has already been there about what places we can see there and what to do and what to avoid... I am just going through all the travelogues about Ladakh and making notes.
You can check out my travelogue for some details http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...4-km-saga.html (Leh'd and Back from Hyderabad: The 18 Day, 7804 Km Saga)
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2010, 11:25   #12
BHPian

manali-leh route in april not a chance! you might be able to cross over rohtang and reach Keylong/Darcha but no chance of crossing beyond this point. This road opens formally only in early June.

Srinagar route is supposed to be kept open but the bottleneck here is Zoji-La pass which may or may not be open.

Khardungla (for Nubra valley) and Chang La (for Pangong) are kept open throughout the year. So if you fly down to Leh, you can hire a 4x4 vehicle and tour the place.

in this season, all airlines DOUBLE the number of usual flights (extra flights have a 1XXX prefix) so i dont think you should have a problem getting a seat.
COUGAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2010, 13:24   #13
Senior - BHPian

Cannot be done in mid april. We have been having freak snowfalls till much later this year and there is no way the roads will be open in Mid April.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2010, 21:27   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Cannot be done in mid april. We have been having freak snowfalls till much later this year and there is no way the roads will be open in Mid April.
Understood.If that's the case then I will cover Rajasthan and UP (Rani Khet) until that time.
I will be in India until 18th May, do you think 1st week of May I will be able to drive to Ladakh? Doesn't matter if its through Srinagar or Manali.
I am not considering flying at all... Thanks.
Old 16th February 2010, 17:38   #15
Senior - BHPian

Might be done around 15th May through Srinagar. But you will have definite information on route and passes streaming in from around 20th April onwards and can help you decide.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote