Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 23rd February 2010, 22:55   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeinuk View Post
I plan to refuel @ Varanasi. I your trip log there is an IOCPP just before VRNS BP. I was wondering if I will get anything just on my way out. With the Varanasi traffic I expect to waste a lot of fuel.
At least 5 good pumps in a 2-km stretch on either side of the Benaras Rly. Station, near where you expect to check in. All have been used by me on different occasions, no complaints at any time.

A tankful from Benaras should comfortably see you to Asansol (@ 450km).

Quote:
I am travelling solo. No companions.
No lifts - and I mean STRICTLY no lifts - to anyone on the way. Even if the person is dressed like a cop, sadhu, even God. Even if you're totally lost (highly unlikely) and the guy promises to show you the way.
Quote:
Is this Greek? OK OK I will learn it this weekend. Is there a web link?
Easier to drop by at your friendly service station/knowledgeable pal and get a quick hands-on instruction/demo on the essentials, including how to change tyres really fast.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 23rd February 2010 at 22:57.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2010, 17:57   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you all for the great inputs. This forum really rocks.
p.s. I was wondering if we should start a thread for first time long distance drivers. What to expect? How to plan? What to check while servicing your car?
@ moeinuk. Yes, this forum really rocks. Its amazing to see how much time members put in to help others whom we even don't know or may not meet in life! And seasoned Gurus like HVK, it seems as if they have more then 24 hrs at their disposal! Available for the whole country for any query, about any road of the country, at any time, by any means of communication! Its mind boggeling to say the least. Similarly, I have found every one cares with commitment for other's queries at this forum. How beautifully and detailed SS travellers and sauravbiswas, etc have given precise information in previous posts. It'll be helpful for anyone taking that route.

I think most things have been explained by others. Now that your date is after Holi, so no problems. I am glad with your decision to take up this drive, and I am sure like Sourav, you too will cherish this drive whole life as this sure will change horizons of your driving world. Just one such drive is needed for anyone to break the ice. Drive safe, be careful and have a safe journey.

Wish you a happy holi, safe drive and happy times with family after the drive.

PS: Just noticed this is my 200th post! Cheers! Happy to be here.

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 24th February 2010 at 18:02.
LongDrive lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2010, 12:29   #33
BHPian

Hey folks, please excuse me for going OT & putting up a question of mine.

Me's planning to drive down to Tirthan over the coming weekend and wanted to check the safety of the drive with ma fellow members. The route I'd be taking is:

NH1 till Rajpura - Bunter - Kharar - Ropar (Rupnagar) - NH21 till Aut - Tirthan valley

Now the obvious question is, would it be safe to do this route?
lordofgondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2010, 21:30   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you all for the great inputs. This forum really rocks.
I am sure once you are done with the trip, you will be sharing your trip details and experiences in the forum. It is such sharing that makes the forum great.
sbraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 12:12   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
I am sure once you are done with the trip, you will be sharing your trip details and experiences in the forum. It is such sharing that makes the forum great.
Definitely. Just tell me, is there a mobile version of this website? So that I can keep updating you guys through text messages during the drive. [obviously stopping my car before picking up the mobile]

And here is a serious question.
It might be off the topic, but has implications on the drive I am scheduled to take on 3rd march.

I got my Alto serviced from my regular Maruti authorized service station last Monday. I took it out yesterday night to check out its performance on the DND expressway.

Everything was smooth. The shockers, brakes, alignment there were no hitch. But as I pushed the sppedometer beyond 100kmph, a slight vibration started on the steering. I could feel it on my palms.

Once I pushed it above 105kmph the vibrations increased. Beyond 110 kmph I literally had to hold the steering strongly...In my 2 years as a driver in the city I hardly got to push beyond a 100 kmph. The few times I have done so, I don't remember the steering shaking so much.
Is this a problem? Please advice what to do?

Moeinuk
moeinuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 12:32   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Once I pushed it above 105kmph the vibrations increased. Beyond 110 kmph I literally had to hold the steering strongly.
Your wheel are imbalanced, attend to it immediately
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 16:17   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Your wheel are imbalanced, attend to it immediately

surely. thanks hvk. is there a way one can check for wheel imbalance without touching 100 kmph and feel your steering shudder?
Old 26th February 2010, 17:11   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
surely. thanks hvk. is there a way one can check for wheel imbalance without touching 100 kmph and feel your steering shudder?
Each wheel can be taken off and mounted on a wheel-balancing machine. The machine digitally reads the balance of the wheel, and indicates how many grams of weight is to be added, and where, to restore the balance.

A half-hour job, costing maybe Rs.200-300. Any good tyre shop would do it for you.
Old 26th February 2010, 17:20   #39
Senior - BHPian

I get my wheels balanced after 10k. It's money worth spending. Tyre life is extended. Driving pleasure is heightened.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 18:33   #40
BHPian

Moeinuk, since you are driving solo, I don't think stopping and taking too much of tea/snacks break will do much good..other than make you feel sleepy.

Ensure to keep lots of water, becos this is what u will need the most. Plus sufficient amount of snacks/biscuits/fruits to keep you going even if you are stuck somewhere. I will avoid roadside foods if I am driving solo (actually I did CHN-KOL trip mid-Jan), just in case something drastic happens. Definitely carry some ENO sachets alongwith a drinking glass.

Suggest also to carry 2-3 litres of tap water which you can splash on your face periodically and clean the windshield as well.

Some more :
- Drink lots of water. Keep music volume low. Cruise & Enjoy the drive.

- Never forget to ask directions, even at the slightest hint of feeling lost, particularly if driving within city and major diversions etc.

- Slightest hint of feeling sleepy, pull aside and take a power nap of 15-20 mins..this works wonders and keep you fresh for couple of hrs atleast..you can pick some COCO outlets on the way for taking short rests..

- In case your window tints are not very dark, suggest carry some sunshades (suction type which can be fixed/removed at will) for privacy which you can keep fixed to the side windows during daytime..should be avlbl for 30-40 bucks/piece.

Drive safe. Wish you a happy journey.
sanjayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2010, 15:56   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
n't think stopping and taking too much of tea/snacks break will do much good..other than make you feel sleepy.
Thanks sanjay. Infact I had planned exactly. I will try to carry as much food, snacks and water as possible. So that I can cut down on the stop time.
Old 1st March 2010, 21:21   #42
BHPian

Hi Moeinuk,

It was good to have you at my place yesterday. Just a day left to being the adventure. All the best for the drive. Wishing you a safe journey. Our contact numbers are with you, so feel free to call if you need help. Also kep us updated about the drive enroute.

Have a nice time in Kolkata. Will see you there when I visit Kolkata next time.

Regards,

Sourav
souravdebiswas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2010, 14:19   #43
BHPian

Need any help in allahabad please feel free to poke me. After all a Team bhpian is always there to help another team bhpian.
gungeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2010, 21:48   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Wishing you a safe and enjoyable journey ahead tomorrow.
Old 3rd March 2010, 01:03   #45

Default 3rd march. 4 more hours to go.

@everyone

Thanks sourav, sstraveller and gungeek for your wishes. others, i know, are wishing me the same. I have sourav and ss's no. will keep you posted on my progress.

Leaving tomorrow morning. all my plans of early to bed has gone for a toss. excitement keeping sleep at bay.