Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 30th April 2010, 16:18   #61
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
@ MC, Shimoga-Agumbe via Thirthalli is a good drive with good roads. If you enjoy the forests and ghats, I would suggest this; instead of going to Shimoga go via Bhadravati-N R Pura-Koppa-Hariharapura-Agumbe. You will be passing through the Bhadra Tiger Reserve between Bhadravati & N R Pura. The roads will be narrow, but I guess it should not be a problem for a Bolero (I presume you are taking a Bolero)
Well, I wasn't sure of the stretch from Bhadravati to NR Pura. Hence suggested Shimoga to Koppa.
NR pura - koppa - hariharapura - agumbe stretch is very good. It's not narrow. It's widened and smooth. Two buses can easily go with space for a bike in between.
Agumbe to someshwara is good. Someshwara to hebri was ok. Hebri to parkala is good. parkala to manipal was having loads of potholes.
the fiasco from manipal to udupi is something I could never fathom. They cut trees all along to make it a 4 lane and that road was in tatters. One never needs four lanes in that road. Udupi - manipal buses used to fly that stretch in 10 mins including the once narrow bottleneck called kalsanka.
Needless deforestation on that stretch.

So count out shimoga. As Addy says, turn from Bhadravati to NR pura. It's a breeze from there.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2010, 16:55   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
parkala to manipal was having loads of potholes.
This info is outdated. In Jan-2010 the Manipal-Parkala road was completely relaid, and not merely patched like every year. I haven't seen this happen in recent years. Now this stretch is absolutely clean, in fact it is irritating. Now other cars and bikes actually try to keep up with my GV and Jeep. Again, this hasn't happened in recent years. But 4-laning work around the corner to lay this newly laid road to ruins pretty soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
the fiasco from manipal to udupi is something I could never fathom. They cut trees all along to make it a 4 lane and that road was in tatters. One never needs four lanes in that road. Udupi - manipal buses used to fly that stretch in 10 mins including the once narrow bottleneck called kalsanka.
This route is given so much importance because of the new DC office coming up on end point. This stretch is almost ready and so is the DC office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Well, it would take around 7 hours to get to Hospet. From there to Shimoga might be another 7 hours. Not sure beyond that, as I have not travelled on that route.
Hospet to Shimoga is just 200kms or 4 hours. Shimoga to Manipal is 140kms or 3 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
The route you are talking about is the Gooty - Bellary stretch of NH63 is definitely one of the worst highways of the country with 2 feet craters. I'll be taking the Hyderabad - Mahboob Nagar - Raichur - Gangawati route which is silk as smooth ( Previous experience in both sections in Jan 2009).
No, I am not talking about that. I am talking about after Hospet. Barely 15Kms after Hospet on NH13, take the right turn into SH-25. Left goes to Chitradurga, avoid that. You will be going through Hagaribommanahalli, Ittigi, Harapanahalli,Harihara, Honnali, Nyamati, Savalanga, Shimoga. After that you will be back NH-13 towards Thirthahalli. I took this route while going to Hampi and back. There is very little traffic on SH-25, not a single mine truck either.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 12:54   #63
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys for the route info.

@ Samurai: Would be nice to catch up with you and your Jeep (Not the Totalled One :P ) on Saturday.

BTW any pointers towards Hotels in Gokarna / Om Beach?
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 13:02   #64
Team-BHP Support

@Ani, so what is the final route you plan to take now that this holiday has been cut short to just a long weekend against the OP of 7-8 days?
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 13:06   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
@Ani, so what is the final route you plan to take now that this holiday has been cut short to just a long weekend against the OP of 7-8 days?
Quote:
After a lot of deliberations and trying to squeeze time, we have been able to finalise on the dates for our "Down the Memory Lane - Manipal Trip". This is brief route plan Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India to Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India - Google Maps

The dates are as follows:
14th May : Depart Hyderabad 0200 Hrs
14th May : Arrive Hampi 0800 Hrs
14th May : Depart Hampi 1000 Hrs
14th May : Arrive Manipal 2000 Hrs via route shown above
14th May : Night Stay Manipal
15th May : Night Stay Manipal
16th May : Depart Manipal 0600 Hrs
16th May : Arrive Gokarna 1600 Hrs with lunch stop @ Shetty's Lunch Home, Kundapura
17th May : Depart Gokarna 0500 Hrs
17th May : Arrive Hyderabad 2000 Hrs

Now that the planning is done, all I need to do is find some sponsor for thsi trip
The above is the plan.
Old 10th May 2010, 13:16   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The above is the plan.
Wishing you good luck on your trip the coming weekend. Look forward to the road condition report too.

Happy driving!
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 13:34   #67
Team-BHP Support

Whats the total kms coverage? Btw, did you find the sponsor for this trip?
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 13:56   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Wishing you good luck on your trip the coming weekend. Look forward to the road condition report too.

Happy driving!
Thanks Doc! As HVK wrote, someone has to be the Bakra, I guess I'll be the one for this section

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Whats the total kms coverage? Btw, did you find the sponsor for this trip?
Total Kms as per route plan is about 1600Kms. With some additional driving, I'm expecting 1800 Kms not more. As of now its still self-funded, but I'm hoping to have some generous contributions from HYD TBHP folks in the Nizam Club meet tomorrow
Old 10th May 2010, 20:43   #69
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@ Samurai: Would be nice to catch up with you and your Jeep (Not the Totalled One :P ) on Saturday.
Unfortunately, that may not happen. I came to Bangalore on Sunday and will be returning to Manipal next Sunday.

Quote:
16th May : Depart Manipal 0600 Hrs
16th May : Arrive Gokarna 1600 Hrs with lunch stop @ Shetty's Lunch Home, Kundapura
If you depart Manipal at 0600, you will reach Shetty Lunch Home at around 0645, too early for breakfast and way too early for lunch.

Gokarna is barely 3 hours away from Manipal. You have allocated 10 hours. What do you plan to do in between? May be Murdeshwara?
Old 10th May 2010, 20:48   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Gokarna is barely 3 hours away from Manipal. You have allocated 10 hours. What do you plan to do in between? May be Murdeshwara?
He can do

Visit to Kollur + Breakfast + Maravanthe + Murudeshwar + Lunch + reach Gokarna in those 10 hours.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 06:50   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately, that may not happen. I came to Bangalore on Sunday and will be returning to Manipal next Sunday.

If you depart Manipal at 0600, you will reach Shetty Lunch Home at around 0645, too early for breakfast and way too early for lunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
He can do

Visit to Kollur + Breakfast + Maravanthe + Murudeshwar + Lunch + reach Gokarna in those 10 hours.
Well that was the initial. After tweaking, we intend to leave at 7, visit Krishna Templeat Udupi, have breakfast @ Mitra Samaj and then slowly proceed towards Gokarna, stopping at Marvanthe (Turtle Bay ), Murdeshwara. Intend to reach Gokarna (Om Beach) by lunch.
Old 11th May 2010, 07:01   #72
Team-BHP Support

That is OK. Its pretty laid back atmosphere on the NH17.
I never felt like hurrying !

Some how I felt there are few Kamats on this highway. Ankola is where is you get the best one.
I expected there should be some good place by Murdeshwar/Gokarana, but did not find any.

Last edited by ampere : 11th May 2010 at 07:03.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 07:59   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well that was the initial. After tweaking, we intend to leave at 7, visit Krishna Templeat Udupi, have breakfast @ Mitra Samaj and then slowly proceed towards Gokarna, stopping at Marvanthe (Turtle Bay ), Murdeshwara. Intend to reach Gokarna (Om Beach) by lunch.
Gave up on the Shetty Lunch home? If you have lunch at Kundapura, you can still reach Gokarna by 4PM. Try to kill some more time by visiting Malpe beach.
Old 11th May 2010, 10:15   #74
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Sounds a great plan. All the best MC. post a travelogue soon.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 10:54   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Gave up on the Shetty Lunch home? If you have lunch at Kundapura, you can still reach Gokarna by 4PM. Try to kill some more time by visiting Malpe beach.
I have been dreaming about the Chicken Ghee Roast at Shetty Lunch Home for quite sometime but it seems its not to be this time .

I have never liked Malpe so don't intend to go there but will be going to Kaup Beach during my stay.