Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 22nd February 2010, 09:38   #16
Senior - BHPian

Well, THE HVK has spoken. I shouldn't be a speaking much.

Some minor points below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Kanyakumari-Nagercoil-Trivandrum
Trivandrum-Kollam-Alapuzha-Kumarakom

The 85 kms to Trivandrum is a bad drive - excellent drive, but very congested trafic corridor. Ideally, leave as early as possible from KK (say, sunrise) and reach Trivandrum in 2hours before 8 am.
You do not have to stay back in Trivandrum, assuming you finish darshan of Padmanabhaswamy Temple before 11 am, and if you fancy, drop in at Kovalam. You could proceed to Kumarakom the same day and reach there for the night (3-4 hours from Trivandrum).

Kumarakom-Kochi-Trissur-Kozhikode-Kalpetta-Sultan's Battery-Gundulpet-Mysore-Bangalore
A day's drive. Ensure you cross Sultan's Battery before 7 pm, since the road to Mysore close by 9 pm.
I completely agree with HVK Sir's suggested routes.

Day 1 - Bangalore-Kodai
Day 2 - Stay at Kodai
Day 3 - Kodai-Madurai, stay at Madurai
Day 4 - Drive to Rameswaram, stay at Rameswaram
Day 5 - Drive to Kanyakumari, stay at Kanyakumari
Day 6 - Drive to TVM, stay at TVM
Day 7 - Drive to Kumarakom, stay at Kumarakom
Day 8 - Drive to BLR

My only problem is that he may reach TVM by day 6. Assuming that he leaves TVM to Kumarakom on Day 7 11 AM, the traffic will make him reach Kumarakom by afternoon. Then he has just half day for Kumarakom. Kumarakom to BLR is a full day drive. I think this is injustice to Kumarakom. Also, this may end up as a whirlwind tour.

Quote:
  • Astamudi backwaters off Kollam is a good alternative to Kumarakom.
  • Expect bad traffic jams in Kochi bypass also.
Yes, completely agree.

Vellimon near Kollam has Cambay resorts. I have been there. It is on the shores of Ashtamudi Lake and very scenic. In fact, when you open your room door, you see the lake in front of you. They serve good local cuisine. Vellimon is around 8 kms from Kollam town.

If you take Kollam instead of Kumarakom, you have the option of skipping NH47 traffic. Return journey could be
Kollam-Punalur-Tenmala-Tenkasi-Madurai-Salem-BLR.

Kollam to Tenkasi is ghat section, but beyond that is a breeze. In fact, Madurai-BLR could be done in 6 hours.
sbraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 11:04   #17
BHPian

sbraj -- I can always extend the trip to 9-10 Days. Since i am returing from US business trip, i can afford to take a good long vacation

Now, i am NOT looking at resorts atall this time. Reason being, i will have to spend for 2 rooms every night and i definitely dont want to spend 50k or more for 9 nights, only on accomodation. You know wat i mean.
So i am looking at simple, clean 1000 Rs accom for all places. (20 to 25k on accom).

This trip is for covering places more than relaxing at resorts. So i am searching for accoms accodingly.

From the info i received from u all , i can divide the night stays as below:

Night 1 : Kodai
Night 2 : Kodai (add another night to Kodai ???)
Night 3 : Madurai
Night 4 : Kanyakumari (visit Rameshwaram. No night stay there)
Night 5 : Kanyakumari Or TVM
Night 6 : Alapuzha/Kochi
Night 7 : Alapuzha/Kochi (Can cover the places suggested below)
Night 8 : Guruvayoor or Kalpetta
Night 9 : Home sweet Home

What do u guys think. We have seen Munnar earlier. And since we already have Kodai on our charts, i dont want Munnar this time. I would rather spend time between TVM and Kochi to cover the many places suggested by you guys.

In Kodai, we would have an evening, the next full day. Is this enough to cover the many places around Kodai. Instead i can have another night at Kodai (3 nights). I am convinced about the other nights stays i have above.
pramod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 11:17   #18
Senior - BHPian

Kodai - 2 nights already, but only 1 day. Kodai is always good for 1 more day.
If you leave MDU early in the morning, you must reach Rameswaram before 12, when the temple closes. If you also cover Dhanushkodi, you will be unable to reach KK before night. You may miss sunset that day.
A better option may be to leave Kodai early in the morning, reach Madurai before 11 or so when the temple closes, finish darshan and porceed to Rameswaram for N3. That would mean you can leave Rameswaram the next day (after Dhanushkodi) and reach KK in time for sunset.
I would not like to spent 2 nights in KK, prefer TVM for N5. You can have a leisurely darshan at Padmanabhaswamy temple (opens after 4 pm) and visit Kovalam beach.
Ideally reach Guruvayur on N7 so that you can catch a darshan that night and/or early morning 330 am darshan.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 11:26   #19
Team-BHP Support

Also note that from Guruvayur, the route is : Kunnankulam, Pattambi Perinthalmanna, Melatoor, Nilambur, Bandipur, Gundlupet, Mysore Bangalore.

In this whole stretch decent lunch is only available at Bandipur jungle lodges restaurant on the highway. Hence plan accordingly.

I went to Guruvayur temple at 6 in the morning and promptly decided to come back, as I realized my chance comes only at 9 and we had an infant with us. Since we had the darshan the day before, I could start by 7.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 11:29   #20
Senior - BHPian

pramod, another input. Watch out the hartal/bandh schedule in Kerala. Very crucial.

BTW, the best time to visit Guruvayur is on the night before the hartal. Hartal day will have absolutely very little rush, and one could have a blissful darsan without any jostling.
Old 22nd February 2010, 11:42   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Also note that from Guruvayur, the route is : Kunnankulam, Pattambi Perinthalmanna, Melatoor, Nilambur, Bandipur, Gundlupet, Mysore Bangalore.
If you use this route, remember that the KA cops close the road between 9 pm and 6 am.
Old 22nd February 2010, 14:14   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

In this whole stretch decent lunch is only available at Bandipur jungle lodges restaurant on the highway. Hence plan accordingly.

I went to Guruvayur temple at 6 in the morning and promptly decided to come back, as I realized my chance comes only at 9 and we had an infant with us. Since we had the darshan the day before, I could start by 7.
Quote:
If you use this route, remember that the KA cops close the road between 9 pm and 6 am.
Alternate option is : GVR-Thrissur-Palakkad-Coimbatore-Salem-BLR
Drive time is approximately 8-9 hours. Good, straight roads. Watch out for private buses driven by maniacs between Coimbatore and Salem.

Compared to this route, Nilambur route is curvy and twisty.
Old 2nd March 2010, 18:41   #23
BHPian

Guys,

I booked the following hotels for the first 5 nights:

5th March, 6th, 7th --> Hotel Bala Kodaikanal --> 1125 Rs Tariff
8th March --> Hotel Chentoor Madurai --> 1400 Rs
9th March --> Hotel Maanickam Kanyakumari --> 1200 Rs

Now, looking at the Heat in Bangalore, i am wondering how bad its going to be in TN and Kerala. Since i am taking my parents, i have already skipped Rameshwaram/Dhanushkodi from the list of places.

After covering Kodai, Madurai and KK, if i plan to return back to Bangalore, wat is the best way to return. Directly on NH7? or any other Kerala route?

Last edited by pramod : 2nd March 2010 at 18:46.
Old 2nd March 2010, 19:34   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramod View Post
After covering Kodai, Madurai and KK, if i plan to return back to Bangalore, wat is the best way to return. Directly on NH7? or any other Kerala route?
All routes through Kerala are congested by day and frustrating to drive fast. It is best to stick to NH7 if you wish to return to Bangalore the same day from KK.
Old 2nd March 2010, 19:52   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now, looking at the Heat in Bangalore, i am wondering how bad its going to be in TN and Kerala. Since i am taking my parents, i have already skipped Rameshwaram/Dhanushkodi from the list of places.
A friend came back from TVM yesterday, and commented that it is sweltering hot. Those who are not used to it may have to remain under shelter.

But Norther Kerala (Wayanad etc) should be ok I guess.

Last edited by sbraj : 2nd March 2010 at 19:53.
Old 4th March 2010, 16:33   #26
BHPian

To travel from kodaikanal to Madurai, instead of gng back to Dindigul and then go on NH7, can i do the following route:

Kodai -- Perikulam -- Theni and then on NH49 to Madurai.
Old 4th March 2010, 16:44   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To travel from kodaikanal to Madurai, instead of gng back to Dindigul and then go on NH7, can i do the following route:

Kodai -- Perikulam -- Theni and then on NH49 to Madurai.
Yes, the route will be as follows:
Kodaikanal-join the road coming from Vathalagundu 53 kms-Perikaulam 18-Theni 16-Uslampatti 38-Madurai 35
Old 4th March 2010, 16:54   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, the route will be as follows:
Kodaikanal-join the road coming from Vathalagundu 53 kms-Perikaulam 18-Theni 16-Uslampatti 38-Madurai 35
HVK, Thnx again.
This 53 Kms from Perikaulam to Kodai is scenic? or Panali route is more scenic. I see that more ppl have chosen Salem - Bhavani - Palani route to Kodai. Wondering why.

I am leaving tomm morning sharp 4:30 AM from South Bangalore.
Will carry my "Reliance Connect" to the trip. So i will start the Travelouge tomm night from kodai
Old 4th March 2010, 16:57   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
HVK, Thnx again.
This 53 Kms from Perikaulam to Kodai is scenic? or Panali route is more scenic. I see that more ppl have chosen Salem - Bhavani - Palani route to Kodai. Wondering why.

I am leaving tomm morning sharp 4:30 AM from South Bangalore.
Will carry my "Reliance Connect" to the trip. So i will start the Travelouge tomm night from kodai
The Palani route is more scenic IMO. The Palani route was preferred earlier because that is teh shortest, but now that the NH7 is 4-laned till Dindigul, it has become teh fastest.
Old 11th March 2010, 12:56   #30
BHPian

Nice meeting you Pramod.It was my first time meeting someone from team bhp on the roads.Hope you are safe and had a great drive.
garyjacob is offline   Reply With Quote