Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 19th November 2015, 10:36   #151
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore - Rameshwaram : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Thanx Amp. I contacted Hotel Pearl Residency. Looks like rooms are booked till 28th Dec from 25th Dec. How about Queen Palace??
Queen Palace was good when we visited 3-4 years ago.
It is on the main road and has lot of space for parking. Restaurant was ok but I suggest you eat at hotels inside the town near the main temple.

For Kanyakumari stay look at Vivekananda Kendra and Hotel Sea View, both are good.

Last edited by NPV : 19th November 2015 at 10:37.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2015, 11:51   #152
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to ampere, pramodpk and NPV for their valuable inputs. I have booked room in Hotel Pearl Residency in Rameswaram.
suresh_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2015, 03:15   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Folks
I intend to visit Rameswaram, Dhanushkodi and Kanyakumari in the last week of December. I have few queries.
I had similar queries as Suresh above, and they mostly got answered.
I have been planning for Madurai/Rameshwaram trip in Dec-end/Jan-start, and with recent damages to NH5 will probably take NH7 from around Bangalore.
However, I was wondering how good/bad things are on this route due to floods/rains around Pondicherry/Chennai with another round to hit in next 4-5 days.
deepv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2015, 04:44   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
However, I was wondering how good/bad things are on this route due to floods/rains around Pondicherry/Chennai with another round to hit in next 4-5 days.
Most impact is on North TN and South AP coast. So if you are going via Bangalore, you might not feel that much impact. Still Dec end is 4 weeks away, would wait and watch how things pan out.
narayans80 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2015, 06:47   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
I had similar queries as Suresh above, and they mostly got answered.
I have been planning for Madurai/Rameshwaram trip in Dec-end/Jan-start, and with recent damages to NH5 will probably take NH7 from around Bangalore.
Mate, Hopefully we meet at Rameswaram . Since the trip is planned during the last week of December, we still have time as to how things will shape. Let's wait and watch
IMO we should be able to make the trip.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2015, 13:08   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
... So if you are going via Bangalore, you might not feel that much impact.
Yeah .. changed to NH7 after damages around Nellore on NH5 (which would have worked better for me).

Quote:
Mate, Hopefully we meet at Rameswaram . ...
IMO we should be able to make the trip.
Yeah, hoping for the best , with this new round of rains starting off will have to keep a close watch.

On a separate note, came across this HC ruling on dress code today, just an FYI.
deepv is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2017, 15:30   #157
BHPian

We are driving to Rameshwaram for immersion of my father's ashes. Would suggest few inputs.
This thread has not been updated for almost 2 years now. So some basic questions as well as I am doing this route first time

Travelers - Me, wife, 2 kids and my sister

1) Road updates? Best route?
2) Plan may be to start by morning 4.30-5.00 am. Which can be a decent place for breakfast and lunch (veg)
3) When can I expect to reach Rameshwaram if I start by this time?
4) Are Daiwik and Pearl still the best place for stay? Any more inputs? Any place that has a large family rooms?
5) What is the temple routine/timings.
6) Any good reference for a priest/purohit to officiate the ceremony of ash immersion?
7) Does the theerth snan come as part of any package?

Day 1: Travel to Rameshwaram
Day 2: Immersion/temple visit etc
Day 3: Return

Are there any places nearby(not Madurai) that are doable in this schedule?
I am not sure of Dhanushkodi either

I had actually been to Rameshwaram twice as a kid. But dont remember much other than a place/temple called Ramapatham, if I am not mistaken

Last edited by rajesh1868 : 9th October 2017 at 15:31.
rajesh1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2017, 18:01   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
We are driving to Rameshwaram for immersion of my father's ashes. Would suggest few inputs.
Route: Bangalore - Attibele Toll - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Salem - Namakkal - Karur - Dindigul - Madurai - Ramanathapuram - Rameshwaram.

You have NH44 till Madurai and all tolls are Fastag enabled so you shouldn't have much hassles. However, the tolls at Attibele, Krishnagiri and one before Salem town could have a huge rush based on the time that you start from Bangalore. Madurai onwards the road is a SH (87 but categorized as NH44) but it's been relaid. And the drive is fairly smooth. You should reach Rameshwaram around 2.30-3 pm in the afternoon if you start by 5 am. I do have a few breakfast options in mind but don't recall their names. This is after you take the bypass from Salem towards Namakkal.

Quote:
4) Are Daiwik and Pearl still the best place for stay? Any more inputs? Any place that has a large family rooms?
6) Any good reference for a priest/purohit to officiate the ceremony of ash immersion?
Not aware about points 4 and 6 but the main temple (Arulmigu Ramanathasamy) is closed between 1 pm and 3.30 pm in the afternoon and closes at 8.30 pm. It is open from 4.30 am and there's a special (Sphatika) darshan at 5.30 am on Saturdays (I can separately verify this from my mother if needed). I'm also not sure of the teertha snana as a package but I was suggested by the hotel manager that one way to go about the teertha darshana was to hire a Piaggio Ape auto and negotiate for a fare. There are autos that ask you around the main temple for this specific thing.

The roads have been re-laid and tarred till Palk Strait so you can actually go till the tip of Dhanushkodi (which wasn't the case before as you had to either hire a MM Commando or go in one of those Tempos). Also one of the teerthas is closer to Dhanushkodi so you may combine the two at the same point of time, if you happen to do the teertha circuit.
sleepyhead148 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2017, 18:29   #159
BHPian

Quote:
This thread has not been updated for almost 2 years now. So some basic questions as well as I am doing this route first time

Travelers - Me, wife, 2 kids and my sister

1) Road updates? Best route?
2) Plan may be to start by morning 4.30-5.00 am. Which can be a decent place for breakfast and lunch (veg)
3) When can I expect to reach Rameshwaram if I start by this time?
7) Does the theerth snan come as part of any package?

Day 1: Travel to Rameshwaram
Day 2: Immersion/temple visit etc
Day 3: Return

I had actually been to Rameshwaram twice as a kid. But dont remember much other than a place/temple called Ramapatham, if I am not mistaken
Firstly my condolences for your loss. Your 3 day plan looks fine and comfortable. To answer your first set of questions.

1) Road conditions are pretty good all throughout. Take the standard route Bangalore-Salem-Madurai-Paramakudi-Ramnathapuram(aka Ramnad)-Mandapam-Rameswaram. There was 4L road widening construction happening earlier this year, and i believe it should have been completed by now.
2) If you are planning to start by 5 am, you can reach salem in 2.30 hours where there are lot of options. Aasai Dosai, Saravana Bhavan, GRT Grand and many more in NH7 itself. In case if you/kids are hungry earlier due to early start, you can stop over at Thoppur A2B or before that Sai Sangeet.
For lunch you can stop at any hotel inside Madurai enroute. I don't recommend you to take the by pass via Thirumangalam, as you can get in and get out of the city in almost same time.
3) You can budget for 6 hours to Madurai and another 3 to 3.5 hours from Madurai to Rameswaram - just driving time. Plus the time you take breaks and it also depends on the car you drive
4) Going by popular recommendation, Daiwik is best.
5) You can check the temple timings in website, but IIRC temple is open thoroughout the day in weekends. It will be crowded as well.
6) I suggest you goto Kanchi mutt which is next to the Temple east tower/gopuram and contact and someone can help there to get you a priest.
7) There are 22 wells inside the main temple to get Theerth snan apart from taking dip in ocean. Now they have organized it much better with queue and taking token is must. You have to pay a very nominal price and they will organize to get snan in batches, if i am not wrong. Please note again this queue will be crowded usually.

If you are not planning for Madurai, don't miss to drive to Dhanushkodi. They have laid new roads and its awesome to go to tip of India. If you have energy you can do it on Day-1 or Day-3. I believe with kids, Day-2 will be packed for you, assuming you will be performing some pooja for departed soul.

-Ravi

Last edited by ravib : 9th October 2017 at 18:30.
ravib is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2017, 18:45   #160
BHPian

Quote:

Sorry for your loss. Was in Rameshwaram on the 2nd Oct extended weekend. I stayed in Jivan Residency which is adjacent to TTDC, and hence close to the main temple. Ample parking and comfortable rooms. Not sure if the room size will fit your requirement (mine was 330 sq ft, and could take a double bed and 1 extra mattress).

30- 35kms before Rameshawaram, near a place called Mandapam, there is Kushi beach. Waters are totally calm, and very safe to get into. The water is very clear and you can see the sand and even small fish swim. A few people have reported instances of jelly fish, but we did not find any. Sign boards are non existent, but google maps will take you there.
ajayclicks is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2017, 19:05   #161
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We are driving to Rameshwaram
Firstly, condolences and sympathies on your personal loss.

Breakfast - as Ravi has has suggested, either Sai Sangeet at Thoppur on right side (they open around 6:30-6:45) or again on right side at Salem you have Aasai Dosai & little bit ahead there is a Saravana Bhavan (not sure if I got the name correct, but near the NH 47 ramp).

On places to visit, there are other "Theerthams" (related to Ramayana) en route to the main Ramanathaswamy temple and also Dr.APJ Kalam's home. But don't miss Dhanushkodi. There is also a Kothandarama temple en route to Dhanushkodi.
*I'm not sure if you can visit additional/other temples during this time as per your customs

For lunch, in case you decide to take the Thirumangalam route bypassing Madurai city (Airport Ring Road), you can stop at Hotel Metropole, their restaurant is good. Also, I think either in the ground floor of same building or just adjcent one, there is another decent eatery accessible directly from the road.

Hotels at Rameshwaram - we stayed at Queen Palace which is bang on the highway about 3-4 Km before the Ramanathaswamy temple.

Last edited by NPV : 9th October 2017 at 19:09.
Old 10th October 2017, 09:47   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I stayed in Hotel Pearl Residency which is very close to the railway station and Dr Abdul Kalam's house during my visit to Rameswaram in the last week of Dec 2015.

Last edited by suresh_gs : 10th October 2017 at 09:49.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2017, 10:57   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyhead148 View Post
It is open from 4.30 am and there's a special (Sphatika) darshan at 5.30 am on Saturdays (I can separately verify this from my mother if needed). I'm also not sure of the teertha snana as a package but I was suggested by the hotel manager that one way to go about the teertha darshana was to hire a Piaggio Ape auto and negotiate for a fare. There are autos that ask you around the main temple for this specific thing.
Wont be going on Saturday. And didnt properly understand about hiring auto for teertha. Arent these inside the temple? Are autos allowed inside?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
7) There are 22 wells inside the main temple to get Theerth snan apart from taking dip in ocean. Now they have organized it much better with queue and taking token is must. You have to pay a very nominal price and they will organize to get snan in batches, if i am not wrong. Please note again this queue will be crowded usually.

-Ravi
So what is the normal procedure? You get theerth snan first, go back and change dress and return for darshan?
Is darshan allowed with wet clothes?
Or are both these in different places?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
30- 35kms before Rameshawaram, near a place called Mandapam, there is Kushi beach. Waters are totally calm, and very safe to get into. The water is very clear and you can see the sand and even small fish swim. A few people have reported instances of jelly fish, but we did not find any. Sign boards are non existent, but google maps will take you there.
Will certainly have this in mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
But don't miss Dhanushkodi. There is also a Kothandarama temple en route to Dhanushkodi.
*I'm not sure if you can visit additional/other temples during this time as per your customs
Actually his passing happened about 8 months back. We could do this only now because he passed away outside India and we are able to manage this only now.
So no restrictions about temple visits etc

Do we need any special permission for Dhanushkodi? Had read about this in some travelogue long back.
rajesh1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2017, 11:06   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Wont be going on Saturday. And didnt properly understand about hiring auto for teertha. Arent these inside the temple?
Apart from the 22 teerthas inside the temple, there are 3-4 more teerthas on the highway connecting to Madurai and on the Dhanushkodi road (The total number of teerthas in the entirety of Rameshwaram is 64, according to local info and Wiki). The autos take you to these places. For the teerthas within the temple, you will have to take a token and proceed in a queue.
sleepyhead148 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2017, 11:58   #165
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Do we need any special permission for Dhanushkodi? Had read about this in some travelogue long back.
No special permission required. Drive about 20Km from Rameshwaram on the Dhanushkodi road and reach the check post. Stop & proceed further as the road has been extended by another 10Km and was thrown open to public by our Prime Minister couple of months ago. Earlier, we had to park the vehicles near the check post and hire jeeps/vans that take us to the ruins in the sandy ruts.

I think you need permission from the check post if you have a 4 wheel drive and wish to drive to the ruins yourself in your own vehicle, otherwise for the ruins I'm guessing you'd still be better off hiring one of those vehicles (I haven't traveled after the new road extension was built).