Team-BHP - Round Trip
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Round Trip (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/76381-round-trip.html)

Hi Friends

I plan to travel from Kochi to Trivandrum and a little more as follows:

Kochi - Trivandrum
Trivandrum - Kanyakumari
Kanyakumari - Vattakkotai
Vattakkotai - Trivandrum via Nagercoil
Trivandrum - Kochi.

If anyone knows, I need following information:

1. Condition of NH47.
2. Condition of NH47 byepass at Alleppey and Trivandrum
3. Road condition from Vattakkotai to Nagercoil. ( I checked on Google Earth, image below and it shows lot of kachha road from Vattakkotai, is this road OK or do I need to take any alternate route?)
Any information will be helpful.

NH47 betwen Kochi & Trivandrum is a good road, but very congested by day. If you leave at 4 am, you could reach Trivandrum in 3 hours, but that can be 5-6 hours if you leave 3-5 hours later.

There is NH47 bypass at either Alleppy or Kollam. It is simple to go through both these towns, it is a straight road till you cross a bridge across the backwaters, after which watch out for a left turn (with signage for TVM). IN Kollam, it is one straight road through town till you come to a clock tower junction where you will find a bridge across the rail line which you must take to go to TVM.

Trivandrum bypass is good, but signages to connect to NH47 Kanyakumari road are not good. I suggest you go on the bypass, cross Technopark, Chackai and Vallakadavu junctions, and then watch out for the left turn to Manacaudu from where you can connect to NH47 towards Nagercoil. I'm sure TVM bhpians can guide you better.

I've no idea of the short cut which you have identified from NH47 to NH7 for Vattakottai, but considering it is TN, road should be good. It should be easy to find out too since it comes immediately after Suchindram (which is 5 kms from Nagercoil). Alternatively, why don't you simply go to KK and go to Vattakottai on NH7 from there - road is good.

Maybe you should have a better heading for this thread, no one will notice it because of the lack of detail. If you put something like Kochi-Kanyakumari, the Kerala tbhpians may notice it easily.

Thanks Kumar. Google Earth does show a byepass at Alleppey, only, it doesn't show the current state. I will start at about 5AM.

I will be going to Vattakottai from KK via NH7. The shortcut I have shown is from Vattakottai to a point slightly ahead of Suchindram.

Mods: Please change heading to "Round Trip: Kochi to Kanyakumari and Back."

Quote:

Originally Posted by NutsNBolts (Post 1756037)
Thanks Kumar. Google Earth does show a byepass at Alleppey, only, it doesn't show the current state. I will start at about 5AM.

That is not a bypass in Alleppey. It goes through town, skirts Alleppey beach and then rejoins the road coming from inside town at the left turn marked in the google map. No scope for confusion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hvkumar (Post 1756042)
That is not a bypass in Alleppey. It goes through town, skirts Alleppey beach and then rejoins the road coming from inside town at the left turn marked in the google map. No scope for confusion.

Yes you are right. However, the picture shows two roads. I suppose you mean the road I have marked in red and I am talking about road marked in Blue. The one marked in Blue is shown kachha. That's why I am confused.

From the northern point (coming from Kochi), there is no left turn, the road crosses the bridge across the backwaters and keeps coming straight down, and take a turn only to the left and then right. There are signages there, no scope for confusion.

Thanks for clarification kumar. Will keep it in mind. Anybody with suggestions for Vattakottai to Suchindran/Nagercoil?

Hoping that u will be starting by early morning after crossing the bridge@aleppey go straight and take the left from collectorate to reach NH and proceed. Kollam byepass is not complete. Since its early morning i suggest you go straight through kollam city.

Thanks soccerfan. Am leaving tomorrow. Once I complete the trip. will upload the gpx files.

Here are the gpx files for guys using openstreet maps with navi computer: