Kochi - Trivandrum
Trivandrum - Kanyakumari
Kanyakumari - Vattakkotai
Vattakkotai - Trivandrum via Nagercoil
Trivandrum - Kochi.

If anyone knows, I need following information:

1. Condition of NH47.
2. Condition of NH47 byepass at Alleppey and Trivandrum
3. Road condition from Vattakkotai to Nagercoil. ( I checked on Google Earth, image below and it shows lot of kachha road from Vattakkotai, is this road OK or do I need to take any alternate route?)
Any information will be helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Round Trip-1.jpg  

NutsNBolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2010, 19:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

NH47 betwen Kochi & Trivandrum is a good road, but very congested by day. If you leave at 4 am, you could reach Trivandrum in 3 hours, but that can be 5-6 hours if you leave 3-5 hours later.

There is NH47 bypass at either Alleppy or Kollam. It is simple to go through both these towns, it is a straight road till you cross a bridge across the backwaters, after which watch out for a left turn (with signage for TVM). IN Kollam, it is one straight road through town till you come to a clock tower junction where you will find a bridge across the rail line which you must take to go to TVM.

Trivandrum bypass is good, but signages to connect to NH47 Kanyakumari road are not good. I suggest you go on the bypass, cross Technopark, Chackai and Vallakadavu junctions, and then watch out for the left turn to Manacaudu from where you can connect to NH47 towards Nagercoil. I'm sure TVM bhpians can guide you better.

I've no idea of the short cut which you have identified from NH47 to NH7 for Vattakottai, but considering it is TN, road should be good. It should be easy to find out too since it comes immediately after Suchindram (which is 5 kms from Nagercoil). Alternatively, why don't you simply go to KK and go to Vattakottai on NH7 from there - road is good.

Maybe you should have a better heading for this thread, no one will notice it because of the lack of detail. If you put something like Kochi-Kanyakumari, the Kerala tbhpians may notice it easily.

Last edited by hvkumar : 27th February 2010 at 19:07.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2010, 19:14   #3
BHPian

Thanks Kumar. Google Earth does show a byepass at Alleppey, only, it doesn't show the current state. I will start at about 5AM.

I will be going to Vattakottai from KK via NH7. The shortcut I have shown is from Vattakottai to a point slightly ahead of Suchindram.

Mods: Please change heading to "Round Trip: Kochi to Kanyakumari and Back."

Last edited by NutsNBolts : 27th February 2010 at 19:16.
Old 27th February 2010, 19:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNBolts View Post
Thanks Kumar. Google Earth does show a byepass at Alleppey, only, it doesn't show the current state. I will start at about 5AM.
That is not a bypass in Alleppey. It goes through town, skirts Alleppey beach and then rejoins the road coming from inside town at the left turn marked in the google map. No scope for confusion.
Old 27th February 2010, 19:38   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
That is not a bypass in Alleppey. It goes through town, skirts Alleppey beach and then rejoins the road coming from inside town at the left turn marked in the google map. No scope for confusion.
Yes you are right. However, the picture shows two roads. I suppose you mean the road I have marked in red and I am talking about road marked in Blue. The one marked in Blue is shown kachha. That's why I am confused.
Attached Thumbnails
Round Trip-2.jpg  

Old 27th February 2010, 19:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

From the northern point (coming from Kochi), there is no left turn, the road crosses the bridge across the backwaters and keeps coming straight down, and take a turn only to the left and then right. There are signages there, no scope for confusion.
Old 28th February 2010, 12:57   #7
BHPian

Thanks for clarification kumar. Will keep it in mind. Anybody with suggestions for Vattakottai to Suchindran/Nagercoil?
Old 28th February 2010, 21:36   #8
BHPian

Hoping that u will be starting by early morning after crossing the bridge@aleppey go straight and take the left from collectorate to reach NH and proceed. Kollam byepass is not complete. Since its early morning i suggest you go straight through kollam city.
Soccerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2010, 15:57   #9
BHPian

Thanks soccerfan. Am leaving tomorrow. Once I complete the trip. will upload the gpx files.
Old 14th March 2010, 17:04   #10
BHPian

Here are the gpx files for guys using openstreet maps with navi computer:
Attached Files
File Type: gpx alleppey-Tvm.gpx (111.2 KB, 196 views)
File Type: gpx kochi-alleppey.gpx (54.5 KB, 171 views)
File Type: gpx Tvm 2 Kanyakumari.gpx (139.2 KB, 147 views)