Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 5th March 2010, 10:16   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Thanks, all! Initially I thought of doing a one-day trip, but I have booked a room @ Sterling, Yelagiri for Rs.1500 for Saturday night (it turns out its not Sterling's own property, but some kind of lease-out).
I have stayed in Zeenath Taj Resorts. They have a sprawling campus spread across acres. Lots of trees, birds with in the resort itself. Food was marvellous. Rate was similar.

Quote:
Probably will not do much sightseeing, as the purpose of the trip itself is to practice hill driving.
IIRC, there are 2-3 'real' hair pin bends. Otherwise nothing to worry. What you need to do is to practice as suggested earlier in the thread. While coming down, don't speed up. Maintain comfortable speed.

Roads are not very wide. Two cars can comfortably pass through. But, when you see a lorry or bus, just slow down, step aside and let them go through.

Quote:
Quick question: What kind of air pressure is recommended for the hills? I normally keep 30 all around (Indica). I figure, slightly less pressure will mean more grip: but wont that affect the pickup and make it more difficult in steep stretches? Should I just stick to the normal pressure?
Just the regular air pressure would do, IMO. Fill as per recommendations of manufacturer based on number of passengers.

Remember, there is very few (I think just one) fuel station on top. So, fill full tank before climbing up.

BTW, Yelagiri ghat section is not a toughie. It is nothing compared to Agumbe et al. So, don't worry.
sbraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2010, 10:29   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... and I have a chronic fear of heights.
This could be a problem area. Try to focus your sight on the road and in particular any vehicle going in front of you. Do not try to see and admire the scenery while driving. This would sure distract your attention and could give you some dizziness. If you want, park at a place with ample space and then get out to see and photograph.

You must be even more careful going downhill, as your eyes tend to look below deeper and you might end up in dizziness. Always look to the road only while driving. Do not use music while climbing up or down.

Take extreme care.
RajaTaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2010, 10:41   #18
BHPian

since this is your first time, I would strongly suggest you to drive it up to the Yelagiri hills. Not much a hill drive and should be enough to give the experience of a hill drive. And dont go to Sterling, its not worth. Instead I can give you an alternate place, where we(3 families) stayed overnight. Nice food, service and an enjoyable place.

Home

When you do your reservations, tell them you need the room in the renovated portion, as their's is a very old property and one side of the building is very old. But the renovated portion is excellent cottage types with modern amenities.
s3va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2010, 14:57   #19
BHPian

Would suggest that you try climbing on Mall parking. I believe Spencers one is better with trying to anticipate taking turns on hair pin bends. If you can try the St. Thomas mount hill as a preparatory exercise. Not sure if they allow you now. I remember trying it 10 years back.
DWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2010, 11:06   #20
BHPian

Thanks all! I did Yelagiri this weekend. Did not find it challenging at all! At first, while taking the hairpin bends I forgot to keep the lane - unconsciously moved to the middle of the road. Quickly realized my mistake and corrected myself.

Full travelogue with pics is here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...giri-pics.html (Weekend in Yelagiri (Pics))
rajushank84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2010, 16:26   #21
BHPian

Another query - What should I do if when going up a ghat section I stop / stall and have a vehicle close behind me. Is starting using the hand brake / clutch operation work recommended over half clutch using brake / clutch / accelerator ?[/quote]

I have driven to Ooty via Connoor/Coimbatore & also to Tirupati from Bangalore. I have always been more comfortable with handbrake when the vehicle behind is pretty close. I always use the handbrake in crunch situations in case using the half-clutch does not work.
Since clutches wear out faster especially with half-clutch usage, half-clutch may not be an advisable option if your car has done maybe over 30K Kms (depends of course on driving pattern & type of vehicle)
Rajiv-Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2010, 18:02   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv-Bang View Post
I have always been more comfortable with handbrake when the vehicle behind is pretty close. I always use the handbrake in crunch situations in case using the half-clutch does not work.
If someone is absolutely uncomfortable or new to hill driving, then it is better to signal the vehicle behind to overtake. This will give the much needed space for proceeding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv-Bang View Post
Since clutches wear out faster especially with half-clutch usage, half-clutch may not be an advisable option if your car has done maybe over 30K Kms (depends of course on driving pattern & type of vehicle)
Yes, this has happened with me.
sbraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2012, 23:46   #23
BANNED

Default Re: Yercaud or Yelagiri? For first time hill driving

Reviving this old thread as planning to take my wife out for an overnight stay on Saturday. I have been to Yelagiri, nice & scenic but didnt look like there would be much to do around there.

Can you give me suggestions on where to stay in Yercaud, what will be the approximate travel time from Chennai?

We frequent Pondicherry and Bangalore frequently while places like Kodaikanal and Kanyakumari need a few more days. Any other suggestions on places are most welcome.
Pedaltothefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2012, 09:06   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Reviving this old thread as planning to take my wife out for an overnight stay on Saturday. I have been to Yelagiri, nice & scenic but didnt look like there would be much to do around there.

Can you give me suggestions on where to stay in Yercaud, what will be the approximate travel time from Chennai?

We frequent Pondicherry and Bangalore frequently while places like Kodaikanal and Kanyakumari need a few more days. Any other suggestions on places are most welcome.
Few nice accommodation.

http://www.grangeresort.com/accomodation.html

http://www.grthotels.com/grtnaturetr...omodation.aspx

Search in this forum, there are couple of real good t-logs with details on the places to see.
mjothi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2012, 11:25   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post

I'd like to add Hotel Shevaroys as a suggestion for accomodation. Yercaud is a nice hill station with peaceful surroundings and most importantly, not yet commercialized like Ooty or Kodai.

For me it takes 5-6 hours by car to reach Yercaud from Chennai-Tambaram. Pretty straight forward route I must say. Its Chennai Bangalore road all the way till Krishnagiri, Take left at Krishnagiri Bridge towards selam, Then to yercaud.

Few friends tried the NH-45 Route (Tambaram-Dindivanam-Ulundurpet-Attur-Selam) and gave a good feedback.Never tried the route myself yet.So, I can't recommend the same.
kablu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2012, 14:24   #26
BANNED

How does Horsely Hills compare to Yercaud? I think it is a shorter drive than Yercaud but I am not sure if it is safe as it seems deserted.
Pedaltothefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2012, 18:12   #27
BHPian

Horseley Hills aka Mosquito hills . Drive isn't as enjoyable as Yercaud or Yelagiri, few bad stretches but if you can live with the mosquito bites in the evenings while taking a walk outside then thats the place for a day trip. I had been there a couple of months ago on a bike trip with friends, we never got rooms in Travellers bungalow but managed to stay in a place called Ayurveda camp or something. This is run by an old man and his wife. There is practically nothing much to see in Horseley, but if you plan to stay overnight get the Travellers bungalow booked in advance.
Ikoner_03 is offline   Reply With Quote