Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 10th March 2010, 22:17   #1
Default New Zealand Trip

Hello guys,

Me and wife are planning on a trip to New Zealand in the month of May.
We have two options - one being a fully pre-arranged guided tour and the other one being a self exploration tour. I'm more inclined towards the latter as it would offer more freedom and also the oppurtunity to engage in road trips in a rented vehicle.

It would be great if someone who has already visited NZ or has first hand info about touring that country, offer their views/opinions. More over May being a month with probability of the onset of snow/winter, I'm a little apprehensive about driving on my own.

ZedMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 04:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

NEwzealand has two international airports, Christchurch and Auckland.
It wiouod be better if you travel on your own. Rent a car and drive through from North Island (Auckland) to South Island and get a flioght back from Christchurch. You should not take more than 12 days for the whole trip.

In May, NZ will be styarting to get cold so carry warm clothing. Stay at Motels a little out of the main city centre, they are really cheap and best.

The people are very friendly. If you are a vegetarian you may have a bit of anissue finding the right food. Beware of the restaurant closing timings. SOme shut as early as 6:00 pm. A lot of Indian restaurants have mushroomed in all cities. I had an Indian meal at an Auckland restaurant clled Maharaja or something. Very good authentic food.

Motorhomes are readily available and very common.

Drive to Picton from where you must Ferry tp Wellington. Dont take your car on the ferry its expensive, instead ask the rental company to meet you with a similar car at the other side. On the ferry enjoy a movie, it takes approx 3-3.5 hours to cross.

Spend maximum time in Queenstown. The rest you can stop wherever you want, whenever you feel like. Avoid night driving as the roads are pitch dark and no one hardly ever passes you.

Rotorua is another great place. See the Thermal activity as a Geyser goes off at a specified time at 9:00 am in the morning. It is induced gushing.

Do visit the Franz Joseph glacier and must take a helicopter ride to the glacier for a cup of tea. Visit Dunedin, Arrowtown.

Visit the Glow worm caves, the sounds (Doubtful and Milford). Must Bungee Jump, Zorb, skydive, paraglide and river raft mostly at Queenstown.

Go armed with a good camera, you will be clicking a picture every 5 minutes.

If there is any specific query, shoot. I just love NZ.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 23:11   #3

Originally Posted by V-16 View Post

If there is any specific query, shoot. I just love NZ.
Thank you sir, for the info. Will keep posted about the trip
ZedMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2015, 11:59   #4
Default Re: New Zealand Trip

Hello V-16.
Am planning a 22 day self drive covering both islands of NZ. Could you brief me about the drive on NZ Roads as compared to driving in india? What kind of rental car insurance would you suggest? any specific dos and donts on the way?
TVish is offline   Reply With Quote