Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 30th March 2010, 06:17   #1
BHPian

Default NH 219 from Palamaner to Krishnagiri

Has anyone driven recently on NH 219 from Palamaner (Andhra Pradesh) to Krishnagiri (Tamil Nadu) ? I have to drive from Madanapalli to Salem next week and the shortest route seems to be take NH 205 to Palamaner, then NH 219 to Krishnagiri and get on to NH 7.

Grateful for any feedback on the condition of NH 219.
vartakavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 09:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

No feedback on the current road condition, but last heard of, it was OK. Avoid driving on the Palmaner-Krishnagiri route by night. Please do post your feedback when you travel.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 09:28   #3
Team-BHP Support

Senthil (I think) mentioned that the road is very good, with some Ghat section. Even I was thinking of trying it during the day time. (Just for fun of course )

I was think of getting on this road at Venkatagirikota
(Blr - Sarjapur - Malur - Bangarpet - Venkatagirikota) and then getting back via Krishnagiri.

Look at the following thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...de-help-6.html

Route is mostly used by folks travelling from south to Tirupathi, thus bypassing Bangalore.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 09:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

@Ampere, but man, the routes that you suggested are running perpendicular to NH219(Madanapalle-Krishnagiri), both BLR to Venkatagirikota as well as BLR to Tirupathi or did I miss out something here?
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 09:51   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@Ampere, but man, the routes that you suggested are running perpendicular to NH219(Madanapalle-Krishnagiri), both BLR to Venkatagirikota as well as BLR to Tirupathi or did I miss out something here?
These are not suggestions. Sorry if I confused everyone.
This route that I wanted to try is only for an experiment to check out the status of roads in these areas.

I wanted to check options to by-pass BLR-Kolar so that from Venkatagirikota I can take NH219 to hit NH4 somewhere near Madanapalle.

But since for my experiment, I did not want to come back to Bangalore via NH4 through Kolar, I thought lets go south to Krishnagiri from Venkatagirikota via NH219 and come back to Bangalore.

Last edited by ampere : 30th March 2010 at 09:54.
Old 30th March 2010, 10:49   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vartakavi View Post
Has anyone driven recently on NH 219 from Palamaner (Andhra Pradesh) to Krishnagiri (Tamil Nadu) ? I have to drive from Madanapalli to Salem next week and the shortest route seems to be take NH 205 to Palamaner, then NH 219 to Krishnagiri and get on to NH 7.

Grateful for any feedback on the condition of NH 219.
I made the round trip from Dharmapuri to Rishi Valley School (11 kms beyond Madanapalli) and back to Dharmapuri on March 14.

The stretch between Angallu and Madanapalle is quite rough. Madanapalle - Punganur- Palamner- V.Kota - Kuppam - Krishnagiri is reasonable with some culvert work closer to Krishnagiri.
Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Salem is good.

If you are traveling in daytime and in a vehicle with high GC,there is a shorter route from Punganur to Byreddipalli (between Palamner and V.Kota) that will cut down the distance by about 25 km.It is a narrow road with many turns and a few rough patches. You have to ask someone as you enter Punganur.
citron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 15:55   #7
BHPian

Thanks everyone who has responded to my query. I plan to drive over this stretch in the afternoon so that I reach Dharmapuri by nightfall.

Thanks a lot Citron. I have a Tata Indigo which scrapes the bottom even on large speedbreakers, so I guess I will stick to the Punganur - Palamaner-V.Kota route. How much time did you take from Rishi Valley School to Dharmapuri? I just want to get an idea of the time so that I can plan the departure from Mulakalacheruvu (about 20 kms beyond Rishi Valley towards Kadiri). We are actually driving from this place to Kodaikanal and want to stay overnight at Dharmapuri.
Old 2nd April 2010, 19:00   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks everyone who has responded to my query. I plan to drive over this stretch in the afternoon so that I reach Dharmapuri by nightfall.

Thanks a lot Citron. I have a Tata Indigo which scrapes the bottom even on large speedbreakers, so I guess I will stick to the Punganur - Palamaner-V.Kota route. How much time did you take from Rishi Valley School to Dharmapuri? I just want to get an idea of the time so that I can plan the departure from Mulakalacheruvu (about 20 kms beyond Rishi Valley towards Kadiri). We are actually driving from this place to Kodaikanal and want to stay overnight at Dharmapuri.
Hi Vartakavi - Rishi Valley turn to Madanapalle can take anything between 20 min to an hour!Depends on time of day and traffic.
Madanapalle - Punganur - Palamner - V.Kota - about 2 hours
V.Kota - Kuppam - Krishnagiri- Dharmapuri - about 2.5 hours

The Tamil Nadu tourism hotel is just a few kms from where the Kuppam road joins the Chennai-Krishnagiri road. This maybe a better option than hotels in Dharmapuri but one - Adhiyamaan Palace,which is fairly new.

Dharmapuri -Omalur - Sankagiri - Perundurai - Kangeyam - Dharapuram - Palani - Kodaikanal took about 6 hours about 10 days back.Though the roads are good,if you are not familiar with this route,you may lose a lot of time asking for directions. It is better then to be on Dharmapuri - Omalur bye pass-Salem bye pass - Namakkal - Karur - Dindugal bye pass - Batlagundu - Kodaikanal that may be just under 7 hours.

Cheers
citron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2010, 22:20   #9
BHPian

Default Thank You Very Much

Thanks a Ton. Will give an update after my trip.
Old 22nd April 2010, 21:19   #10
BHPian

Default Update on NH 219

I travelled from Madanapalle to Krishnagiri via Palamaner, V. Kota and Kuppam on NH 219 a fortnight ago. The road surface was very good, except in a couple of small patches. Was able to cover the distance in about 4 hours. There was very little traffic on this route, and best of all, huge trees on both sides of the road gave much needed shade in the summer. The value of these trees became very clear when continuing on NH 7 from Krishnagiri to Dindigul. The new divided highway has no shade at all and the brightness of the Sun was difficult to tolerate even around 8 am in Summer. On NH 219, one can still experience the charm of our 'old' highways.

Just before Kuppam, the road goes through hilly terrain and is a delight to drive on. The AP Tourism resort at Kuppam is beautifully located and is a good place to have lunch (if you do not mind spicy food). The resort is located next to a lake and has cottages spread over a large green area.
Old 22nd April 2010, 21:35   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Just before Kuppam, the road goes through hilly terrain and is a delight to drive on. The AP Tourism resort at Kuppam is beautifully located and is a good place to have lunch (if you do not mind spicy food). The resort is located next to a lake and has cottages spread over a large green area.
This looks like a nice spot. Do you have any snaps? You can hit Kuppam from Bangalore via Sarjapur-Malur-Bangarpet-V Kota-Kuppam.
Old 23rd April 2010, 09:35   #12
Senior - BHPian

First picture is TN side of the route from NH7 to Kuppam, the second picture is AP side- the old madras route.
Attached Images

ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2010, 17:49   #13
Team-BHP Support

Wow! It really looks pretty green!
Was it too lonely to drive on this stretch.
Old 15th December 2010, 00:44   #14
BHPian

Default Re: NH 219 from Palamaner to Krishnagiri

Quote:
Has anyone driven recently on NH 219 from Palamaner (Andhra Pradesh) to Krishnagiri (Tamil Nadu) ? Grateful for any feedback on the condition of NH 219.
Hi All,

Any feedback on the current state of NH 219 is greatly appreciated. Also, how do I get onto NH 219 from NH 7 (Krishnagiri)? Planning a trip from BLR to Vijayawada on Dec 23.
andescondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2010, 06:30   #15
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: NH 219 from Palamaner to Krishnagiri

Quote:
Originally Posted by andescondor View Post
Hi All,

Any feedback on the current state of NH 219 is greatly appreciated. Also, how do I get onto NH 219 from NH 7 (Krishnagiri)? Planning a trip from BLR to Vijayawada on Dec 23.
If you are planning Vijayawada, then why do you need NH219? You should take the standard NH4 (Chitoor/Tirupathi/Gnutur).

Since you asked on 219, here is the answer:

At Krishnagiri, take the Madras highway (46). Once on 46 at 2-4 Km, you should on left a 2L left road with a big board for Kuppam/Palamaner.