Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 16th April 2010, 15:24   #16
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornin70s View Post
If you have only about 6 to 7 hours of travel after leaving Ooty, then passing through Hassan, stopping and visiting places and reaching the coast is impossible.

I don't know the road condition from Ooty to Calicut but NH17 till Mangalore seems good. If you can manage to drive till mangalore in that time then try looking out for Beach resorts near Mangalore. Preferably somewhere before or after crossing the city.

The next day leaving early will be better to cover places on the way to Goa.
After leaving Ooty I have 2 nights before i reach goa...
After doing some research on internet figured following things between calicut (Kozikode) and Goa...
1. Kapad Beach backwaters
2. Thalasssery - Drive in Beach
3. kannur
4. kasaragod
5. Udipi
6. maravanthe - Turtle bay beach resort
7. Murudeshwar - Naveen Beach resort
8. Gokarma - abt 10KM from NH17 - OM Beach Resort

Lots of places to see.. trying to find where to do night halts??
drustogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 15:26   #17
BHPian

Mornings by 8 or 8:30. You can have a good breakfast and take the kids to the zoo first. The animals will be fed in the mornings and they seem to be in a better mood to entertain the kids and adults alike. The palace can be next.

Mysore Zoo and the Palace are huge places. On an average both can be finished in about 3 to 4 hours.
bornin70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 16:37   #18

Thanks...this is very helpful...
Old 16th April 2010, 18:01   #19
BHPian

A few pictures of the places you've thought of.

Muzhappilangad Beach (drive-in) Near Kannur
Mumbai / Pune to Goa & Ooty : Route Query-dsc04607.jpg

Gokarna
You can splash around at night here at Om beach. Although the beach is a great place to chill out.
Mumbai / Pune to Goa & Ooty : Route Query-dsc00497.jpg

Anything other than the upper cottages at the Om Beach resort are not suitable for kids. This is a picture of the upper two bed cottage. Inside there is bed on the right and a bathroom on the left next to the basin. Thats It.
Mumbai / Pune to Goa & Ooty : Route Query-picture-120.jpg

Murdeshwar Temple on the right. There is RNS Resort on the left where the room open out to sea. Here if you want to go to the beach you'l have to walk down. The Naveen beach resort which you mentioned open out to the sea and is a little off the main beach. I do not know about the rooms but the sea food is delicious here.
Mumbai / Pune to Goa & Ooty : Route Query-dsc00510.jpg

This is St. Mary's Island. A small island off the Malpe coast. A ferry take you there and leaves you for an hour or so before taking you back. beautiful place to go to in the evening.
Mumbai / Pune to Goa & Ooty : Route Query-dsc00607.jpg

Have fun.
Old 16th April 2010, 18:48   #20

Any good place to stay near Muzhappilangad - Driving Beach... and good places to stop between calicut and Muzhappilangad..

Also any idea on how much driving time will be required between Muzhappilangad and Gokarma - OM Beach...
Old 16th April 2010, 20:59   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drustogi View Post
Any good place to stay near Muzhappilangad - Driving Beach... and good places to stop between calicut and Muzhappilangad..
There is a small resort right in front of Muzhalippangad beach. I don't have to brochure of that with me. The place is clean and it is right in front of the beach.

The only information i found on the net was this.
Courtesy India Travel

"Where to Stay on Muzhappilangad Beach"
"The nearest town to Muzhappilangad Beach is Thalasseri, seven kilometres away. There are two homestays on the beach itself and due to the lack of general tourist facilities (such as beach restaurants) and the problems regarding sunbathing, few Western tourists end up in Muzhappilangad. This means that a stay here can be very peaceful. However, the local government has started building a road along the beach. It is hoped that the road will reduce driving on the beach itself, but it is possible that it will also destroy the peaceful atmosphere in the two homestays, as the planned road runs practically through their front gardens."

Check out these two links as well.
Muzhappilangad Drive-in Beach Reviews - Kannur, Kerala Attractions - TripAdvisor
Edakkad Beach House

Quote:
Originally Posted by drustogi View Post
Also any idea on how much driving time will be required between Muzhappilangad and Gokarma - OM Beach...
Time taken to reach Gokarna from Muzhappilangad with one or two breaks is about 8 to 9 hours. But why would you want to do that? Places like Murdeshwar / Marvanthe beach / Malpe / Udupi will be completely missed because they lie in between the two places.

I don't have much idea about the places to visit from Calicut to Kannur. There are a few places to visit in Kannur though.
1) St. Angelo Fort
2) Arrakkal Museum
3) Parassinikadavu Snake Park (on NH17 after crossing Kannur.)

Calicut has Pazhassiraja Museum which is fun to see. If you reach Calicut by lunch and are a non vegetarian then maybe you can try Zain's Restaurant on Court Road which lies in between NH17 and Beach Road.
Old 19th April 2010, 18:23   #22

Red face

Quote:
Calicut has Pazhassiraja Museum which is fun to see. If you reach Calicut by lunch and are a non vegetarian then maybe you can try Zain's Restaurant on Court Road which lies in between NH17 and Beach Road.
Thanks a lot.... But we were planning to take a bypass and miss calicut completely... Also we are vegetarianlo
Old 21st April 2010, 23:27   #23
BHPian

Hope you still haven't left. I was in Kannur, Mysore and Muzhappilangad Beach the last few days. There are nice places to stay in Mysore and Muzhappilangad. Highly recommended. Il upload the details tomorrow.
Old 22nd April 2010, 13:02   #24
BHPian

Mysore Palace apparently opens at 10 these days and the zoo by 8:30. I was there yesterday and early mornings seem to be much better to visit the palace than even early afternoons.

The sheer number of people visiting Mysore these days is mind boggling. Do not even think of visiting Brindavan Gardens in the evening. The beautiful gardens and fountains cannot be enjoyed if so.

Anyways, here's the number for the Resort which you asked for on Muzhappilangad beach. The resort is called Palm Shore Beach Resort. There are various entries to the beach as it is huge. Take the Edakkad turning which is the closest. It also reaches at the corner of the 4 or 5 kms drive so you can enjoy the whole drive. The numbers for the resort are 0497-2831197 and 09846416016. Very basic facilities.

The place in Mysore I highly recommend is called Parklane Hotel on Harsha Road. Its very close to the Palace.
Google Maps
Old 22nd April 2010, 20:11   #25
BHPian

Oh and another thing. The roads on NH17 in Kerala get real busy during regular peak hours.
Moreover they are quite narrow in the cities.
Old 23rd April 2010, 14:02   #26

Thanks... Excellent information.... Also are there by-pass available for those cities..

I am planning to leave by 7th May for this trip from Mumbai so still have time...
planning to spend a day in mysore and 4-5 days in ooty and so on...
Old 23rd April 2010, 16:37   #27
BHPian

There doesn't seem to be any by-passes to my knowledge.

Just check this thread for more info:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ad-kerala.html
Old 23rd April 2010, 17:48   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Mysore Palace apparently opens at 10 these days and the zoo by 8:30. I was there yesterday.
Anyways, here's the number for the Resort which you asked for on Muzhappilangad beach. The resort is called Palm Shore Beach Resort. There are various entries to the beach as it is huge. Take the Edakkad turning which is the closest. It also reaches at the corner of the 4 or 5 kms drive so you can enjoy the whole drive. The numbers for the resort are 0497-2831197 and 09846416016. Very basic facilities.

The place in Mysore I highly recommend is called Parklane Hotel on Harsha Road. Its very close to the Palace.
Google Maps
Thanks for giving all this real time info. Can you pl. share about details of accommodation charges for these resorts/hotels?
LongDrive lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2010, 18:54   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
Thanks for giving all this real time info. Can you pl. share about details of accommodation charges for these resorts/hotels?
Definitely.

Mumbai / Pune to Goa & Ooty : Route Query-scan0013.jpg
Mumbai / Pune to Goa & Ooty : Route Query-scan0014.jpg
Old 24th April 2010, 11:02   #30
BHPian

Thanks borin70s for giving accommodation rates. Charges appear okay.
LongDrive lover is offline   Reply With Quote