Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 17th October 2013, 17:26   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikesh View Post
Request for your advice on doing a road trip with family from Pune to ooty. How many travel hours each side? Is it possible to do in a day or, night halt at mysore? How are the current road conditions? Any recommendations on places to stay?
Request for your advice on doing a road trip with family from Pune to ooty. How many travel hours each side? Is it possible to do in a day or, night halt at mysore? How are the current road conditions? Any recommendations on places to stay?
nikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2013, 17:31   #47
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Mumbai / Pune to Goa & Ooty : Route Query

Quote:
The roads are great if you simply follow NH4 and then Mysore, Ooty. Should take somewhere around 15-17 hours approx but again depends on your driving style/ vehicle stamina and preferences of course. With two drivers and reliable vehicle, this should be cakewalk. But my suggestion would be to take a break somewhere in between. There are many places en-route you could take stop. For some suggestions there, see this link (Planning an 11 day Karnataka trip).
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2013, 18:37   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Pune-Kolhapur-Belgaum-Hubli-Hiriyur-Huliyar-Neligere-Nagamangala-Pandavpura-Srirangapatna-Mysore.

You can easily bypass Bangalore.

Route Link
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2013, 20:50   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Pune-Kolhapur-Belgaum-Hubli-Hiriyur-Huliyar-Neligere-Nagamangala-Pandavpura-Srirangapatna-Mysore. You can easily bypass Bangalore. Route Link
Thanks mate.. Any time approximations based on 4 am start from pune? How is mysore to ooty road conditions? Is it drivable and safe in evening times? Reason for asking is that i may attempt to do upto ooty in a single day if fellow passengers co-operate!

Last edited by nikesh : 17th October 2013 at 20:52.
Old 17th October 2013, 20:51   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Pune-Kolhapur-Belgaum-Hubli-Hiriyur-Huliyar-Neligere-Nagamangala-Pandavpura-Srirangapatna-Mysore. You can easily bypass Bangalore. Route Link
Thanks mate.. Any time approximations based on 4 am start from pune? How is mysore to ooty road conditions? Is it drivable and safe in evening times? Reason for asking is that i may attempt to do upto ooty in a single day if fellow passengers co-operate!
Old 17th October 2013, 20:53   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Old 17th October 2013, 21:08   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
with a 4AM start from Pune, you will be in Hiriyur between 1:00PM and 1:30PM.

Even if you take a bit longer time, it is still safe to take the Hiriyur exit for Nagamangala and you will do this before darkness spreads.

This option is best for anyone wanting to bypass Bangalore completely, save ~200/- on tolls (3 till Nelamangala plus NICE for Mysore road) and drive on the famed Bangalore-Mysore road.

I have on more than one occasion taken the Bellur Cross-Nagamangala-Pandavpura-Srirangapattana route to Mysore even when I stay in North Bangalore only to avoid the usual SH-17 and I can tell you that the road is definitely good.

Go ahead and follow ampere's advice and exit NH4 at Hiriyur. It's the best option to reach Mysore.

Budget another 4 hours soon after you exit NH4 for Mysore (From Hiriyur)

Last edited by paragsachania : 17th October 2013 at 21:10.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2013, 22:49   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How is mysore to ooty road conditions? Is it drivable and safe in evening times? Reason for asking is that i may attempt to do upto ooty in a single day if fellow passengers co-operate!
The roads are pretty good on the Mysore-Ooty section if you're taking the shorter (and steeper) route via Masinagudi. (The route via Gudalur has been reported to be bad and pothole ridden).

Also please remember that the Forest section is closed for traffic between 9PM and 6AM, so make sure you start from Mysore by at least 7PM. (The drive from Mysore to the Forest check post shouldn't take more than 1.5 hrs, but you'd want to leave a padding of at least half an hour). And if you plan to have dinner somewhere between Mysore and Bandipur, account for that as well. (Hill stations like Ooty generally sleep early, so don't bank on getting something to eat if you reach there past 9:30 / 10PM)

Chances of encountering wildlife in the forest stretch is higher after dusk, so make sure you drive slowly in the forest area (Not that you can - there are enough and more speed breakers on that stretch to make sure you drive slow). But generally no safety issues - the elephants try their best to keep away from human traffic though you might see them close to the road
kala is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2014, 18:26   #54

I am new to Team BHP, just joined it last week. I am planning a trip from ooty to Goa in December and back, after a week in Goa. I have broken my head over the route to take.
My priorities are,
1. I wish to reach goa with only one night halt.
2. While going i would like to go via mangalore so that we could drive along the NH- 17 from Mangalore to Goa. Have childhood memories from driving from Goa to Kerala and back decades ago.
3. On the way back I just want to reach back by the best route.
The route I sort of thought i should go by is
>ooty-Gudlupet-Hansur-Kushalnagar-Madikeri-Sullia-Puttur-mangalore-Udipi-Honnava-Karwar-Goa.(With a stopover at Udipi).
The return route
Goa-Hubli-Davangere-Huriyur-Mysore-Gundlupet-ooty.(Dont know where I should stop over).
How are these routes? Any ideas? The only experience I have had is the NH-17 stretch from Mangalore onwards.
Any Ideas on good hotels at Udipi? We are three adults and a child.
And on the way back, would it be possible to each Mysore from Goa for the night halt?
Any ideas are welcome, I am really looking forward to this trip.
jijo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 08:28   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jijo11 View Post
2. While going i would like to go via mangalore so that we could drive along the NH- 17 from Mangalore to Goa. Have childhood memories from driving from Goa to Kerala and back decades ago.
3. On the way back I just want to reach back by the best route.
The route I sort of thought i should go by is
>ooty-Gudlupet-Hansur-Kushalnagar-Madikeri-Sullia-Puttur-mangalore-Udipi-Honnava-Karwar-Goa.(With a stopover at Udipi).
I wont suggest you go via Mangalore. Instead: Ooty-Gundlupet-Mysore-Srinrangapatna-Pandavpura-K R Pete - Chanarayapatna-Arsikere-Shimoga-Sagar-Jog-Honnavar-Kumta-Ankola-Karwar-Goa

Stay at Kumta for the night. Rest of the drive should be quite easy.
Is Udupi a must?

Hotels for suggested route: Available at : Gundlupet/Mysore/Shimoga/Sagar etc

Quote:
The return route Goa-Hubli-Davangere-Huriyur-Mysore-Gundlupet-ooty.(Dont know where I should stop over).
Thats pretty much it. If you are in south Goa, you can do Goa-Karwar-Ankola-Hubli. The road end to end is good and so is the Hiriyur-Mysore section. Rest you already know.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 09:02   #56

Thanks a lot. No udipi is not a must . Just that had a lot of childhood memories and wanted to drive along the coast from mangalore . Are the roads too bad?
Old 4th November 2014, 09:05   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jijo11 View Post
Thanks a lot. No udipi is not a must . Just that had a lot of childhood memories and wanted to drive along the coast from mangalore . Are the roads too bad?
I wont say worse, but that sector is extremely fatigue inducing. Hence my suggestion to avoid. Even the Mysore-Jog-Honnar section is a treat to drive. North or Honnavar, NH17 eases out quite a bit. That way you get best of both worlds.

By the way: Just realized: If Ooty poolicy stops you from using Masinagudi to descend, you add 2/2.5 hours more to get to Bandipur itself (via Gudalur). Need to account for that as well! If it gets delayed too much, you can think of breaking at Shimoga as well and then plan for an early start the next day.

Last edited by ampere : 4th November 2014 at 09:08.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 12:39   #58

Quote:
I wont say worse, but that sector is extremely fatigue inducing. Hence my suggestion to avoid. Even the Mysore-Jog-Honnar section is a treat to drive. North or Honnavar, NH17 eases out quite a bit. That way you get best of both worlds.

By the way: Just realized: If Ooty poolicy stops you from using Masinagudi to descend, you add 2/2.5 hours more to get to Bandipur itself (via Gudalur). Need to account for that as well! If it gets delayed too much, you can think of breaking at Shimoga as well and then plan for an early start the next day.
Thanks for the tip. You're right, the police does tend to stop you from using the 36 hairpin road . But am seriously reconsidering the route. Maybe the easiest thing to do would be to go via Mysore , Huriyur and the NH 4 onwards too. May be a pit stop at chitradurga. It would be the most convenient I think , and the least time consuming or fatiguing.
Old 7th December 2014, 16:23   #59

With just about a week to go some plans have crystallized. My family are hell bent on doing the mangalore to goa stretch, basically the coast drive. So I am restricted to going via mangalore. Leaving on 17 Dec. Route planned ooty-gundlupet-hunsur-sulia-mangalore-goa. Return will be via NH4. Any new inputs on the road condition on this route? Looking for any tips.
Thanks
Old 5th May 2015, 16:37   #60
BHPian

I will be doing Mumbai - Goa - Ooty - Bangalore stretch towards end of May. Wanted to know the suggested routes/halts on the way.

Mumbai Goa I have done many a times and will most likely take the Pune Bangalore highway with a stop over either at Kolhapur or Pune depending on what time I leave Mumbai on 22nd May. I want to reach Goa before noon on 23rd May and I dont want to drive too long hours with my 2.5 yr old son and hence breaking this stretch. I believe I need to take the scenic amboli ghat from NH4 (stay likely in North Goa).

Journey from Goa to Ooty is still under consideration. I would leave Goa on Monday afternoon. If required/suggested I will break this up between Goa - Udupi (Turtle Bay)- CKM (any nice homestay)- Ooty? I would like to know the suggested route for this and suggested stay options at CKM and Ooty.

If the above looks to be an overkill I would like to know the alternative from Goa to Ooty route directly?

Ooty - Bangalore is I believe the regular route via Gudalur (downhill) and bypassing Mysore.

BTW I would be starting on 15th from Bangalore to Mahabaleshwar on the straight NH4. Idea is to get the feel of Western Ghats during the summer hopefully experiencing some pre-monsoon showers on the way.

Thanks in advance
WheelWake is offline   Reply With Quote