Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2010, 15:54   #1
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 27
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Mumbai / Pune to Goa & Ooty : Route Query

Hi,

I am planning to take a road trip from mumbai to ooty to goa and back.
From Mumbai to Ooty the route is
NH4 till Tumkur then take state highway to join Bangalore-mysore road
Go till Mysore then to Ooty.

Leave Mumbai in Evening Halt at Kohlapur Then Halt at Mysore

From Ooty to Goa was planning to NH17 from Calicut or Mangalore.

I have never traveled on this route. Can someone tell me what should be the good route to take and where all to halt for night and eating places.

Cheers,
Dhiresh
drustogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2010, 20:24   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,610
Thanked: 1,719 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drustogi View Post
Hi,

I am planning to take a road trip from mumbai to ooty to goa and back.
From Mumbai to Ooty the route is
NH4 till Tumkur then take state highway to join Bangalore-mysore road
Go till Mysore then to Ooty.

Leave Mumbai in Evening Halt at Kohlapur Then Halt at Mysore

From Ooty to Goa was planning to NH17 from Calicut or Mangalore.

I have never traveled on this route. Can someone tell me what should be the good route to take and where all to halt for night and eating places.

Cheers,
Dhiresh
@Kolhapur,Raysons Regency is a good place.

@Mysore,Ginger,Dasaprakash,Sandesh The Prince,Siddhartha,are all good.

From Ooty,my bet would be to go via Madikeri,the route would be Ooty-Mudumalai(via Kalhetty 36 hairpins,via Gudalur would take you an extra hour or two)Bandipur-Gundulpet-Begur-Nagarhole National Park-Gonikoppa-Virajpet-Madikeri-Sulllia-Puttur-join NH48 and onwards to Mangalore,should be a distance of approx 380-400km.These are less crowded roads and many sections through jungles,if you want population around you,then you could go via calicut but would be a slow drive as you would have to negotiate kerala traffic which can slow you down considerably.

You could stay the night at Mangalore,plenty of stay options depending on budget,or else you dont want the mess of getting into the town at Mlore,you could drive on and stay at Udupi(either on nh17 itself or go into the town-its a small deviation),do the Udupi Sri Krishna Temple darshan and continue onwards to Goa.
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 20:52   #3
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 27
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Thanks. Is there any other way other than Medikeri.
I have 2 nights to reach Goa, want to stop and enjoy the Sea basically drive for 4-5 hours both days not more, less is better. Heard nh17 is very good and scenic.
drustogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 05:42   #4
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,599
Thanked: 8,581 Times
Default

I would say the best option is through NH206/NH17.

Go to Hassan and via Belur/Helebid hop on to NH206 and drive till Honnavar on NH206 and then on to Goa through Konkan Highway.

Road break-up:

Mysore - Holenarsipur - Hassan - Belur - Chikmagulur - Kadur
(SH, Good roads till CKM)

Kadur - Birur - Tarikere - Bhadra - Shimoga - Sagar - Talguppa - Honnavar (NH206)

Honnavar - Ankola - Karwar - Goa (NH17)
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 06:57   #5
BHPian
 
COUGAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 538
Thanked: 83 Times
Default

Raysons Regency in Kolhapur is indeed a nice place. However you will need to enter Kolhapur city for this, though its a straight in and straight out kind of drive.

Another option is to head for Sai Residency: approx 10 kms AFTER Kolhapur on the NH4 itself on the left side. Decent clean place overall and at 1/3rd the cost! approx 600 bucks for non-ac double room including breakfast. AC rooms are also there.

Best part is: its ON the highway.

Taking NH17 is indeed a great option: even though its going to be much slower overall. but then you do have 2 days! Make sure you stop at Malpe, Maruvanthe and Turtle Bay. Maruvanthe can be a good overnight halt on Ooty-Goa me thinks.

Last edited by COUGAR : 16th April 2010 at 06:59.
COUGAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 08:47   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
deutscheafrikar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai & Candolim
Posts: 1,155
Thanked: 316 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
Another option is to head for Sai Residency: approx 10 kms AFTER Kolhapur on the NH4 itself on the left side. Decent clean place overall and at 1/3rd the cost! approx 600 bucks for non-ac double room including breakfast. AC rooms are also there.
Cougar
where is this place? After Kolhapur and towards nipani? Asking cos I'm a bit confused since there is a Sai International about 31 kms before Kolhapur. Apparently this is a different Hotel.
regards

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 16th April 2010 at 08:49.
deutscheafrikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 10:06   #7
BHPian
 
COUGAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 538
Thanked: 83 Times
Default

@deutscheafrikar: Yes. This is after Kolhapur. exactky 253kms from my home in Pune as per the GPS: so just ahead of Kolhapur. On the left hand side of the highway itself.

Just checked my database again to confirm: hotel is called Sai Prasad Residency.

Last edited by COUGAR : 16th April 2010 at 10:08.
COUGAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 10:30   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default

If you go via Calicut - Ooty/Gudalur/Meppadi/Kalpetta/Calicut, you can also check out Muzhapilangad Beach (at Talaserry, between Calicut & Kannur), Bekal Fort (between Kanhangad & Kasargod, off Nh17), apart from what the others have mentioned - Udupi, Maravanthe, etc. In case you want to go to one unique temple, you can check out Parassinakadavu at Taliparamba between Kannur & Payyanur.

The road from Gudalur to Kalpetta is very pretty alongside tea and coffee estates. Calciut city gets bypassed since the road you are tarvelling on from Kalpetta (Wayanad road) joins the Calicut bypass and gets you outside the city borders without any tension. Traffic will be very high around Wadakara-Talaserry and Talapady-Mangalore.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 10:43   #9
BHPian
 
bornin70s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 68
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Hi Dhiresh,

Your Mumbai to Bangalore route sounds good.

If you're leaving Sholapur early, then as you get close to Bangalore via Tumkur road, you will see "Bangalore International Exhibition Center" on your left. Just after that is NICE road which you will see as a flyover. Take the left to get on to the flyover. You will have to pay a toll to get to Mysore road from there. Be careful to take the Mysore road exit. I once missed it and had to do some circus to get back to the right road again.

Then it's a breeze to get to Mysore.

Ooty has a lot of options. If you still have time to reach Ooty then "YWCA" is a beautiful place to stay. Please call in advance. These guys fill up ike crazy on weekends or in season time. Call atleast a week in advance. YWCA -of India Project :: Home Page

91-423-2442218

Ooty has tons of places to see as well. If you're reaching Ooty early then stop off at Pykara Lake before reaching Ooty.

And as Ampere suggests the route is great but if you take this then you will be missing almost all of the good parts on NH17 like Murdeshwar, Marvanthe, Kollur Mookambika Temple, Udupi Krishna Temple, Manipal, Malpe Beach, and most importantly the mangalorean cusine.

If you take Hassan to Honnavar route then you can see Belur / Helebidu / Jog Falls (which is definitely dry at this time of the year).
My suggestion is, miss Jog falls.

Take this route:
Mysore - Holenarsipur - Hassan (Belur/ Halebidu) - Mudigere - Charmadi Ghat - Ujire - Belthangady - Moodabidri - Mulki.

At Mulki you will hit NH17 and you can go straight up to visit the places i mentioned in the first paragraph.

Last edited by Technocrat : 16th April 2010 at 12:33.
bornin70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 11:14   #10
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 27
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
If you go via Calicut - Ooty/Gudalur/Meppadi/Kalpetta/Calicut, you can also check out Muzhapilangad Beach (at Talaserry, between Calicut & Kannur), Bekal Fort (between Kanhangad & Kasargod, off Nh17), apart from what the others have mentioned - Udupi, Maravanthe, etc. In case you want to go to one unique temple, you can check out Parassinakadavu at Taliparamba between Kannur & Payyanur.

The road from Gudalur to Kalpetta is very pretty alongside tea and coffee estates. Calciut city gets bypassed since the road you are tarvelling on from Kalpetta (Wayanad road) joins the Calicut bypass and gets you outside the city borders without any tension. Traffic will be very high around Wadakara-Talaserry and Talapady-Mangalore.
google Maps is showing me 2 routes to go to Calicut
138 KM - Ooty-> Naduvattam -> Vazikadav -> Edavanna ->koolimad -> Calicut

166KM -ooty -> Neduvattam -> Mepaddi->Kaduvaly->calicut

Which one better, faster and scenic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornin70s View Post
Take this route:
Mysore - Holenarsipur - Hassan (Belur/ Halebidu) - Mudigere - Charmadi Ghat - Ujire - Belthangady - Moodabidri - Mulki.

At Mulki you will hit NH17 and you can go straight up to visit the places i mentioned in the first paragraph.
As per this route the distance is abt 774KM..
What are the places to spend night at enjoy Sea..
would like to stop for halt abt 4-5 pm to take a dip at sea and for night..
I am travelling with my wife and 2 kids..
We will be leaving Ooty at abt 9ish after breakfast...

How is route from calicut to managalore?
Are there places to stay... I would like to spend nights very close to beach..

Last edited by Technocrat : 16th April 2010 at 12:34. Reason: Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts, instead of creating another back-to-back post.
drustogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 12:16   #11
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 27
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornin70s View Post
Hi Dhiresh,

Your Mumbai to Bangalore route sounds good.

If you're leaving Sholapur early, then as you get close to Bangalore via Tumkur road, you will see "Bangalore International Exhibition Center" on your left. Just after that is NICE road which you will see as a flyover. Take the left to get on to the flyover. You will have to pay a toll to get to Mysore road from there. Be careful to take the Mysore road exit. I once missed it and had to do some circus to get back to the right road again.

Then it's a breeze to get to Mysore.

Ooty has a lot of options. If you still have time to reach Ooty then "YWCA" is a beautiful place to stay. Please call in advance. These guys fill up ike crazy on weekends or in season time. Call atleast a week in advance. YWCA -of India Project :: Home Page

91-423-2442218

Ooty has tons of places to see as well. If you're reaching Ooty early then stop off at Pykara Lake before reaching Ooty.

I was planning to take NH4 till tumkur and then take a state highway which connects to Bangalore Mysore Road.. I have used it earlier while coming from Corg and it really helped me save all the Jam as u get close to bangalore from NH4..since lots of construction was happening on NH4..


In Ooty I have a booking in Club Mahindra...

I plan to spend a night in Mysore and take kids to Mysore Zoo and Mysore Palace... any idea till what time they are open??
Provided I reach in time while going to Ooty...
Any good, clean and reasonable place to stay near these points..

Also is there any place to stay after Belgaum on NH4 - Belgaum is abt 470 KM from my house.. should be able to do this in 6-7 hrs and mysore from belgaum is abt 600 KM which shld take abt 10 hrs. So if i leave Belgaum at 6:00 AM.. I should be in mysore by 4pm probably in time to see 1 of the thing..

Any idea much Mysore to Ooty will take? if i want to reach ooty by 4/5ish then will i have time to see one place in morning??
drustogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 12:29   #12
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,599
Thanked: 8,581 Times
Default

I did not realize that you wanted to do places on the way too. If that the is the option, you can do either via Calicut (as HVK mentioned) or via Mulki as bornin70s mentioned. Both ways you will get lots of places to see.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 12:44   #13
BHPian
 
bornin70s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 68
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

If you have only about 6 to 7 hours of travel after leaving Ooty, then passing through Hassan, stopping and visiting places and reaching the coast is impossible.

I don't know the road condition from Ooty to Calicut but NH17 till Mangalore seems good. If you can manage to drive till mangalore in that time then try looking out for Beach resorts near Mangalore. Preferably somewhere before or after crossing the city.

The next day leaving early will be better to cover places on the way to Goa.
bornin70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 13:01   #14
BHPian
 
bornin70s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 68
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

The Mysore Palace closes at 5:30 in the evening and the Zoo closes at 5:00. The zoo is closed on tuesdays.
bornin70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 14:48   #15
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 27
Thanked: 0 Times
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornin70s View Post
The Mysore Palace closes at 5:30 in the evening and the Zoo closes at 5:00. The zoo is closed on tuesdays.
What time they open .. any idea
drustogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Route Query: Mapusa, Goa to Ooty, Tamil Nadu suneetdmello Route / Travel Queries 8 19th May 2015 23:38
Route Query : Pune-Shimoga-Coorg-Varca-Amboli-Pune amoghchaphalkar Route / Travel Queries 22 21st September 2014 11:49
Pune-Goa-Kerela-Goa-Pune: FordFiesta-3350Kms-10Days abhi1309 Travelogues 36 1st April 2009 19:56


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:06.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks