Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2010, 13:16   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 719
Thanked: 47 Times
Default South safari in Safari this summer (KA, TN, KL!)-Suggestions invited

Hi all,
We have been contemplating about this for past few months. Planning to visit down south (which I am very fond off for so many reasons) in our new Safari LX. I know June is off season, but we don't have choice because of kids vacations. So we want to make best use of 20 days even in that less favorable time.
Here is some background info for facilitating advice/suggestions:

BACKGROUND:
1. Travelers: Me. wife, Son 12 yrs, daughter 5 yrs.
2. Contacts: Relative at Bangalore
3. Tourism style: Just need to see the place/things, spend some time
there, but, we are NOT of the type who needs to stay there at a
picnic spot for 3-4 days.
4. Vehicle: Safari LX. done 12400 kms now.
5. Driving style: On GQ or NH7 type 4 lane highways, 120-130 kmph. on 2 lane highways, 100 -120kmph.
6. Traveling capacity: Me, no problem. But, wife, daughter, yes, as
expected some limitations, sply daughter needs some breaks at midway
plazas/ A2B types during a whole day journey. Though no medical kinda problem, nothing of that sorts.
6.Mostly day driving. 5 am to 7-8 pm.

What we have in mind

1.Lucknow - Bangalore journey will take 3 days each side (with 2 night halts. For this route, I have basic info, will discuss which one to take for finer details later on).
2.@ Bangalore (catching up with relatives, rest, etc. ) needs 3 days.

That leaves us with 13 days to roam around from Bangalore down south. Here we really need all your suggestions/advices.

Places listed (tentatively, not in order though):
Bijapur, Hampi, Mysore, Ooty, Coonoor, Medikeri, Chikmangloor, Halebeid, Belur, Kodaikanal, Munnar, Madurai, Rameswaram, Kanyakumari.

I know Western ghats will have monsoon that time (June 1-20). Though Kerala circuit is my favorite, but famous Kerala rain Gods may not allow tourism during that time!

Plz advise:

1. From the list above what can be covered in 13 days time from Bangalore?
2. What places can be added to the list?
3. What places can be deleted from the list?
4. Can we venture to include Alleppy, Kochi and Trivendrum (have friends at Kochi)?
5. Or can we think of including part of coastal Karnataka like Mangalore, Udupi, Marathanve etc.? I am afraid, those areas may be 'out of bound' in June!
6. Or should we leave our love for Western ghats for another trip (That may include whole coast from Goa to Trivendrum sometime in Winter season)?
7. Then, can we include something more from east coast? like Pondichery. It can be a round trip from B'lore - entering from Mysore side - through hill stations- Madurai- Kanyakumari -east coast road-Rameswaram- Trichy-Pondichery- Mahabalipuram - B'lore?

Bijapur (Golgumbaj) and Hampi, we can cover during either our onward or return journey. But, that will add one more day. I mean if we take Indore-Burhanpur-Aurangabad-Sholapur-Bijapur-Hospet-Bangalore route with halts at Indore, Sholapur and Hampi. It will mean 4 days but covering 2 imp historical sites (Our son is history freak!, that's why).

Everyone plz give your inputs specially seasoned travelers to those areas like HVK Sir, Sam kapasi, MX6, ampere, laluks, akroy, deamdiseasl, Happy wheels, rjstyles, chevy_lover and all others pl help.

HVK Sir this is the same trip I earlier talked to you.

Once the places to be covered in the given time (13 days from Bangalore, i.e. excluding to & fro journey from Lucknow-to- Bangalore) are finalized, will talk about route and accommodation info.
LongDrive lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2010, 23:59   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,616
Thanked: 1,723 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
Hi all,
We have been contemplating about this for past few months. Planning to visit down south (which I am very fond off for so many reasons) in our new Safari LX. I know June is off season, but we don't have choice because of kids vacations. So we want to make best use of 20 days even in that less favorable time.
Here is some background info for facilitating advice/suggestions:

BACKGROUND:
1. Travelers: Me. wife, Son 12 yrs, daughter 5 yrs.
2. Contacts: Relative at Bangalore
3. Tourism style: Just need to see the place/things, spend some time
there, but, we are NOT of the type who needs to stay there at a
picnic spot for 3-4 days.
4. Vehicle: Safari LX. done 12400 kms now.
5. Driving style: On GQ or NH7 type 4 lane highways, 120-130 kmph. on 2 lane highways, 100 -120kmph.
6. Traveling capacity: Me, no problem. But, wife, daughter, yes, as
expected some limitations, sply daughter needs some breaks at midway
plazas/ A2B types during a whole day journey. Though no medical kinda problem, nothing of that sorts.
6.Mostly day driving. 5 am to 7-8 pm.

What we have in mind

1.Lucknow - Bangalore journey will take 3 days each side (with 2 night halts. For this route, I have basic info, will discuss which one to take for finer details later on).
2.@ Bangalore (catching up with relatives, rest, etc. ) needs 3 days.

That leaves us with 13 days to roam around from Bangalore down south. Here we really need all your suggestions/advices.

Places listed (tentatively, not in order though):
Bijapur, Hampi, Mysore, Ooty, Coonoor, Medikeri, Chikmangloor, Halebeid, Belur, Kodaikanal, Munnar, Madurai, Rameswaram, Kanyakumari.

I know Western ghats will have monsoon that time (June 1-20). Though Kerala circuit is my favorite, but famous Kerala rain Gods may not allow tourism during that time!

Plz advise:

1. From the list above what can be covered in 13 days time from Bangalore?
2. What places can be added to the list?
3. What places can be deleted from the list?
4. Can we venture to include Alleppy, Kochi and Trivendrum (have friends at Kochi)?
5. Or can we think of including part of coastal Karnataka like Mangalore, Udupi, Marathanve etc.? I am afraid, those areas may be 'out of bound' in June!
6. Or should we leave our love for Western ghats for another trip (That may include whole coast from Goa to Trivendrum sometime in Winter season)?
7. Then, can we include something more from east coast? like Pondichery. It can be a round trip from B'lore - entering from Mysore side - through hill stations- Madurai- Kanyakumari -east coast road-Rameswaram- Trichy-Pondichery- Mahabalipuram - B'lore?

Bijapur (Golgumbaj) and Hampi, we can cover during either our onward or return journey. But, that will add one more day. I mean if we take Indore-Burhanpur-Aurangabad-Sholapur-Bijapur-Hospet-Bangalore route with halts at Indore, Sholapur and Hampi. It will mean 4 days but covering 2 imp historical sites (Our son is history freak!, that's why).

Everyone plz give your inputs specially seasoned travelers to those areas like HVK Sir, Sam kapasi, MX6, ampere, laluks, akroy, deamdiseasl, Happy wheels, rjstyles, chevy_lover and all others pl help.

HVK Sir this is the same trip I earlier talked to you.

Once the places to be covered in the given time (13 days from Bangalore, i.e. excluding to & fro journey from Lucknow-to- Bangalore) are finalized, will talk about route and accommodation info.
Well the simplest way to plan this would be monsoon-dependent,if the south-west monsoon is good this year(not sure what are the met predictions)then the entire coastal circuit would have to given a pass in your itinerary(from Kerala to the whole of Mangalore to Goa)because when it rains in these areas it literally pours and no point wasting your time.

You could do the following:

Blore-Ooty-Kodai-Munnar(if no rains)-Kanyakumari-Madurai-Rameshwaram-Thanjavur-Velankanni-Chidambaram-Pondy-Mahabalipuram-Kancheepuram-Bangalore

Also Lucknow to Blore,I guess the easiest would be to stick onto NH7 and go via Hyderabad.
Day 1 night you could either stay at Jabalpur or @ Nagpur(depending on your distances)
Day 2 night at Hyderabad and third day Hyd-Blore.The last stretch would not take you more than 8hours.

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 4th April 2010 at 00:07.
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 10:34   #3
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 719
Thanked: 47 Times
Default

Thanks ranjitp1.

Yes, west coast may not be feasible during that time. Hence I am eying more towards TN side. For KA and KL coastal areas, we'll plan another trip sometime in winters.

Yes, NH 7 is good option, I have that in mind. In fact, even we want to include Hyderabad in our trip, to visit sister there. Right now keeping fingers crossed bec. of that curfew thing, though I know it is not major problem, and will be over well before our visit. Actually, we will take 2 diff. routes for to & fro journey. One of them would be via H'bad (NH 7).

Now, how'll be the situation of east coast (Pondichery side) during that period? I know it'll be hot during day, but rain-wise. can that part be safely included in the itinerary?

Friends plz come up with your valuable suggestions.
LongDrive lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 10:42   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
aargee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: KATN
Posts: 4,694
Thanked: 2,115 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
Now, how'll be the situation of east coast (Pondichery side) during that period? I know it'll be hot during day, but rain-wise. can that part be safely included in the itinerary?
For sure no rains during June at this place, even if it does, they're passing clouds. So anything major, it will be only during October/November. Also to set your expectations right, pls expect some scenics on ECR, say about for 10-12 odd Kms, its not the entire drive you can spot the sea or scenics.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 11:24   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default

Quote:
Places listed (tentatively, not in order though):
Bijapur, Hampi, Mysore, Ooty, Coonoor, Medikeri, Chikmangloor, Halebeid, Belur, Kodaikanal, Munnar, Madurai, Rameswaram, Kanyakumari.
(D1) Bangalore-Salem-Madurai-Rameswaram (D1)-Kanyakumari (D2)-Trivandrum-Munnar (D3-5)-Kochi (D5)-Conoor-Ooty (D6-7)-Mysore (D8)-Coorg (D9)-Hassan-Belur/Halebeedu-Chickmagalur (D10)-Kudremukh-Udupi-Kundapura-Maravanthe-Ankola-Hubli (D12)

Rains as bad in Karnataka (Kodagu, Chickamagaluir, Coast) as it will be in Kerala.
But normally no problems with rains in either State, roads will be open. But many places will be under fog.
East Coast has no rains, totally dry and hot.

Last edited by hvkumar : 5th April 2010 at 11:26.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 16:00   #6
BHPian
 
arin_12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 598
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

I suggest you not to miss the Chikmagalur region.After rain it will be really nice.But at the same time think before you travel all places in TN. It might be quite heat.
arin_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 18:22   #7
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 719
Thanked: 47 Times
Default

Thanks arin_12, aargee and HVK Sir.

So, the situation is both tempting, as well as, confusing. On one side will be Rain Gods of western ghats, while on the other, Sun God of TN. The crux for us is to strike a balance! Picking up places from both the lists is imp.

If we can gather courage to brave the famous Kerala rains, then HVK sir's list looks my favorite. If suggested, we may leave the last leg (Kudremukh-Udupi-Kundapura-Maravanthe-Ankola-Hubli) for a future west coast trip. Though, off course, it makes sense to cover that in this trip. I'll consult my friends at Kochi too. Actually, I am getting equally worried about heat & humidity of east coast, hence, tempted to include the 'coffee country'.
LongDrive lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 19:20   #8
MX6
Senior - BHPian
 
MX6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: City of seven islands.
Posts: 2,882
Thanked: 210 Times
Default

Don't miss out kerala and coastal karnataka during monsoons. There's nothing like out of bounds. That area becomes an altogether different place!
If you are the bollywood heroine types (famed for the rain dance in green sarees kind I mean) and don't mind soaking up in the rains, that's the place to be.
HVK has planned your trip more or less. But you may have to reduce your speeds that you've quoted to accomodate for rains and subsequent bad roads that will be result of rains in K'taka.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 11:30   #9
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 719
Thanked: 47 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Don't miss out kerala and coastal karnataka during monsoons. There's nothing like out of bounds. That area becomes an altogether different place!
HVK has planned your trip more or less. But you may have to reduce your speeds that you've quoted to accommodate for rains and subsequent bad roads that will be result of rains in K'taka.
Thanks MX6.

I was looking for your word as I know you have good knowledge & experience of those areas. Slowly, I am falling in line to get soaked in those rains! I am getting convinced it seems better option to brave the western ghats then sweet in the heat of east coast during that time. Let's see how it finally works out.

Oh, yes, if you feed the Guru HVK with appropriate & adequate information, he just gets the whole trip route planned in seconds, and one doesn't need to mend it in any major way!

I also value your advise about speed. Yes, in those circumstances, naturally, speeds will reduce substantially. Point well taken Saar!

More suggestions/advices are welcome.
LongDrive lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 12:37   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default

You can plan to spent at least half a day in the Kerala backwaters off Alapuzha/Kottayam (D5), and think over if you want to visit Kodaikanal also (D1, instead of Rameswaram, come to Kodai, spend a day there, then go on to Madurai/Rameswaram). I have deliberately left off Thekkady/Periyar WLS because it can be difficult to see wildlife during the rainy season (in any case, the boat services in the Periyar reservoir remain suspended as of now)
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 12:54   #11
MX6
Senior - BHPian
 
MX6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: City of seven islands.
Posts: 2,882
Thanked: 210 Times
Default

Way to go LDL. And HVK is HighVayKing. Just stick to his plans.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 13:16   #12
v&v
Senior - BHPian
 
v&v's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,538
Thanked: 1,068 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
Thanks MX6.

I was looking for your word as I know you have good knowledge & experience of those areas. Slowly, I am falling in line to get soaked in those rains! I am getting convinced it seems better option to brave the western ghats then sweet in the heat of east coast during that time. Let's see how it finally works out.

Oh, yes, if you feed the Guru HVK with appropriate & adequate information, he just gets the whole trip route planned in seconds, and one doesn't need to mend it in any major way!

I also value your advise about speed. Yes, in those circumstances, naturally, speeds will reduce substantially. Point well taken Saar!

More suggestions/advices are welcome.

lalit ,
Nice to know you are planning yet another road trip. Kerala is not to be missed during monsoon it really enjoyable with your beast. Itinerary by hvkumar is ideal for travelling.Kanyakumari,Alleppey backwaters ,Kochi,Munnar is a must do. Also at Udupi - Malpe beach is devine and also visit St. Mary's Island too.

Some extra care for electronic equipments like Laptops, Cameras will be needed due to moisture issues.

I will be in Kerala during you road trip period, (Annual Vacation). On your route we can meetup if time permits.

vinod - v&v

Last edited by v&v : 6th April 2010 at 13:18.
v&v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 13:42   #13
MX6
Senior - BHPian
 
MX6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: City of seven islands.
Posts: 2,882
Thanked: 210 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
lalit ,
Also at Udupi - Malpe beach is devine and also visit St. Mary's Island too.

Some extra care for electronic equipments like Laptops, Cameras will be needed due to moisture issues.
Malpe is good but commercial. Try Thottam beach. There used to be islands and hanging rope bridges which would be fun for your kids.
St. Mary's island is best avoided during monsoons. Normally fisherfolk don't venture out as the sea gets damn rough.

Take loads of silica gel. Contrary to popular belief, the more you take your camera out during monsoons, the better it is. Storing it in most areas make fungus grow. Take it out and expose it to airy areas. When storing, please use Silica Gel (or get a dry box if you can).
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 15:04   #14
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 719
Thanked: 47 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
lalit ,
Nice to know you are planning yet another road trip. Kerala is not to be missed during monsoon it really enjoyable with your beast. Itinerary by hvkumar is ideal for travelling.Kanyakumari,Alleppey backwaters ,Kochi,Munnar is a must do. Also at Udupi - Malpe beach is devine and also visit St. Mary's Island too.
I will be in Kerala during you road trip period, (Annual Vacation). On your route we can meetup if time permits.
vinod - v&v
Thanks Vinodji, MX6 and off course, Kumar sir.

It'll be very nice to meet there. Things are becoming clearer now and I just hope that I am able to complete office work in time so that getting 20 days leave becomes possible! Very hopefully, it'll be done.
LongDrive lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 15:09   #15
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 719
Thanked: 47 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
You can plan to spent at least half a day in the Kerala backwaters off Alapuzha/Kottayam (D5), and think over if you want to visit Kodaikanal also (D1, instead of Rameswaram, come to Kodai, spend a day there, then go on to Madurai/Rameswaram). I have deliberately left off Thekkady/Periyar WLS because it can be difficult to see wildlife during the rainy season (in any case, the boat services in the Periyar reservoir remain suspended as of now)
Yes sir,
Taking one day to Kodai from Madurai, and then proceeding to Rameswaram will be better, as one doesn't know when we'll be able to return that place in future. If Kerala is to be entered, Alleppy/Kumarkoam backwaters can't be missed!
LongDrive lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Summer South Trip gvk Route / Travel Queries 53 20th May 2010 09:53
Summer Photologue - South Lake Tahoe chevelle Travelogues 20 22nd August 2009 08:31
Suggestions invited for ICE upgrade for Octavia vRS - currently stock ilovefls In-Car Entertainment 24 20th November 2008 14:06
My Long journy itinerary from Pune to costal Karnataka - Suggestions/comments invited KVS Route / Travel Queries 8 27th December 2007 21:11


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:27.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks