Team-BHP

Team-BHP (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Need route information for Thirukarukavur and thirumanenjeri in Tanjore district (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/79386-need-route-information-thirukarukavur-thirumanenjeri-tanjore-district.html)

csentil 27th July 2010 18:36

The temple is almost equidistant from Thanjavur or Kumbakonam.

It must be like 25kms from Thanjavur and probably a little less from Kumabakonam.

You can take the Tiruchi - Kumbakonam highway via Thiruvaiyaru - Papanasam. Enquire at Papanasam. You need not go on towards Kumbakonam.

Or if you want to visit Tanjavur then take the Tiruchi - Thanjavur - Kumbakonam highway and take a right around 10 kms from Thanjavur.

You can use google maps with "Thirukarugavur" as destination.

The temple is also known as Mullai vananathar Temple :)

Tanjavur - Kumbakonam highway is packed with temples. Swamimalai, Dharasuram, Papanasam...

venki.bala 29th July 2010 12:03

CSENTHIL,

If you want to travel to Thirukarugavur from Thanjavur, you dont need to go to papanasam, the reason is simple, Papanasam - thirukarukavur Road is blocked due to a Bridge construction and also a longer route. You need to park your vehicle near the bridge and then take an auto from the other side of the bridge.

Instead you can take any one of the following routes that goes straight to temple entrance,

1: Thanjavur - Melatur - Thirukarugavur ( 22 KMS) or
2: Thanjavur - Saliyamangalam - Thirukarugavur ( 20 KMS).

I had taken the saliyamangalam - thirukarugavur route during my Visit couple of months back, the road is very good.

Regards,
Venkatesh

Quote:

Originally Posted by csentil (Post 1999419)
The temple is almost equidistant from Thanjavur or Kumbakonam.

It must be like 25kms from Thanjavur and probably a little less from Kumabakonam.

You can take the Tiruchi - Kumbakonam highway via Thiruvaiyaru - Papanasam. Enquire at Papanasam. You need not go on towards Kumbakonam.

Or if you want to visit Tanjavur then take the Tiruchi - Thanjavur - Kumbakonam highway and take a right around 10 kms from Thanjavur.

You can use google maps with "Thirukarugavur" as destination.

The temple is also known as Mullai vananathar Temple :)

Tanjavur - Kumbakonam highway is packed with temples. Swamimalai, Dharasuram, Papanasam...

ampere 29th July 2010 13:50

@Bala

The way I did it was to go via the NH (through Papanasam as Senthil mentioned) and park the car on the other side of the river. There is a foot bridge (used to be at least then). Cross the river. You will get autos and who will do round trip to the temple and back for 50/-

Then I did not know the routes so well (Not that I know them well now!), but since its Kumbakonam high way, its very good. But ensure that you visit it during the day.

csentil 29th July 2010 17:02

I didn't know that about the bridge, sorry.

However I think the query was from Tiruchi.

But then from Tiruchi if one has to go to Thirukaruvur without going to Thanjavur, what's the route then to take? Google maps shows some options.

ampere 29th July 2010 17:13

Looking at Google, I see a SH22 which directly routes to Papanasam (Need to take some internal roads).

But yes its on the other side of the river.

mogambo 2nd August 2010 10:11

Hi All - Thanks a lot for input especially @venki.bala. Did the trip over the weekend.

We left Bangalore (Indiranagar) at 2:00PM on Friday afternoon. Took The new Electronic City elevated road - smooth sailing all the way really. Stopped for snacks at A2B on the right side before Dharmapuri Toll Gate.
Reached Salem around 5:15PM, went around the Ring Road and then took the NH7 to Namakkal. Made it to Namakkal around 6:15.
After that, took the left turn to Trichy via Musiri, etc. The road is good for about 10-20 km. There are bad patches, speed-breakers and construction work happening all along after that, but not undrivable. I usually never drive at night, but managed to do it this time and the experience was not very bad.

Reached Srirangam around 8:15PM. We took an Apt via www.trichytravels.com (contact person - Kamaraj, number on the website). Thanks to @venki.bala again for this.

The stay is basically in a regular apt - falls immediately on the Left, after you cross the bridge into Srirangam. If you hit the signal you've gone a tad too far.

The apt is not too shabby but in our case, the lift wasn't working and the apt was on the 3rd floor - there were 4 adults and 2 kids. But the steps were quite comfortable so it wasn't too bad.
The apt was fairly decent - for Rs.2000 per night, it was ok considering we were so many people. With a small child, it was better than a hotel, because we could take care of the baby's needs just like in a regular house.

They provided a 20lt can of drinking water, gas, stove and vessels - the apt was decently clean. 2 bedrooms had a/c as well. There was a dining table, fridge, cabinets, sofa/couch. Bed sheets were (v importantly) clean. One attached bath and one common - both having hot water.
Apparently power goes off for 2 hours (10am - 12pm) but the apt has a UPS for non-heave electrical use.

Overall, esp given the dietary requirements of the child, we found the apt better than a hotel since we could manage our own food arrangements for the little one. There are all kinds of shops around.
For food, one has to only drive down towards the bus stand for all kinds of (available) options.
Srirangam temple, as @venki.bala mentioned, is very close by - probably a couple of km. before one reaches the magnificent RajaGopuram.

We drove to Thirukarakavoor on Saturday morning, bypassing Thanjavur City (via Saliyamangalam). Good roads throughout - lot of flyover work happening around the place though.
One has to turn left at Saliyamangalam and go about 8km to the Thirukarakavoor Garbharakshambikai temple.
Lovely temple - as with all old temples, fascinating architecture.
After offering our respects to Lord Shiva and the mother goddess, we headed back to Thanjavur to see the big temple.
Btw, at the Saliyamangalam junction is a tea shop - strongly recommend his chai - REALLY good :) :)

Thanjavur Big Temple (Brihadeeswara) - is far grander than any words could express of course - we did not spend a whole lot of time there since the little ones started getting hungry.

Back to Trichy then, lunch and some rest.

The next day, we headed back @ 8AM and stopped at the Namakkal Lakshmi Narasimhaswami Temple, as well as the Aanjaneyar Temple across the street - these were right on the way back, hence no re-routing needed.

Grand marvels, again - splending architecture, magnificent representations of the divine. Stopped again at the Dharmapuri A2B for a good thali lunch and back home at 3PM sharp. Didn't need to take elevated road from ECity this time since it was Sunday afternoon and Hosur Rd in Bangalore was relatively free.

Great trip - in no small measure due to the very kind help received from TBHP members.
Thanks all, for helping make this long pending trip a great success.

Rgds

ampere 2nd August 2010 11:49

Did you take the Nh67? Or some other road.
Can you illustrate on the Tanjore by-pass?

mogambo 2nd August 2010 12:11

T'jore bypass details

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 2006945)
Did you take the Nh67? Or some other road.
Can you illustrate on the Tanjore by-pass?

No - I didn't take NH67 - took the Musiri route. Heard on this thread that NH67 was in a worse condition.

1) While approaching Namakkal, you hit Mudalaipatty, North of Namakkal where NH7 forks out to the RIGHT as a flyover. Stick to the straight/left road - this road enters Namakkal town
2) Around 3.8km down, you will reach a T Junction - the road gradually turns LEFT - go that way (East wards)
3) You will pass Namakkal fort on an imposing Hill which will be to your LEFT, continue straight
4) Keep going down the road - when in doubt, ask anyone if you are on the Thottiyam - Trichy Road.
5) Around 33km from the Namakkal Fort, you will reach Thottiyam - just to know you are on the right track. Just keep going straight.
6) Around 46km, you pass Musiri
7) Around 78km from Namakkal, you will reach Trichy Tollgate (no Toll here, really - mostly this is for trucks) - turn Right and you are on the bridge over Cauvery, entering Srirangam.

Trichy - Tanjore Bypass - Saliyamangalam
1) From Srirangam, take the bridge towards the tollgate mentioned above
2) Turn Right at the Toll gate (away from Musiri) and turn RIGHT AGAIN into Chennai Bypass road - consider this as point 0.00 km
3) Go 7KM on this road (SOUTH) till you hit a circle and turn LEFT there to Thanjavur
4) Around 20km down, you will pass NIT Trichy
5) Around 49-50 km, you will reach hit a Vallam - there is a left going to Thanjavur town - ignore that. Keep straight.
6) Around 53-54km, you will hit a circle with LOT of construction. There are 2 straight roads and a right turn - take the RIGHT. There are lot of bus stops there - ask anyone the route to Saliyamangalam to confirm your route if you wish.
7) Keep going straight - you will pass a number of circles with flyover constructions happening.
8) Around 63km, you will hit a circle where you should take RIGHT
9) From this point, drive around 12KM (75km from your starting point) and you will reach Saliyamangalam.

Lot of details - hope it is not confusing.

Thanks

ampere 2nd August 2010 13:37

Thanks. I knew about the Musiri Trichy stretch. What I wanted to know was how did you avoid Tanjore.
Was it NH67 between Trichy and Tanjore or was it some other SH.

mogambo 2nd August 2010 14:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 2007207)
Thanks. I knew about the Musiri Trichy stretch. What I wanted to know was how did you avoid Tanjore.
Was it NH67 between Trichy and Tanjore or was it some other SH.

SH27 to bypass thanjavur

MX6 2nd August 2010 14:49

Would love to see some photos mogambo. I've been wanting to go to two places for long. Rameshwaram and Tanjore. It's been ages since I'd been there.

ampere 2nd August 2010 16:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by mogambo (Post 2007270)
SH27 to bypass thanjavur

That explains it thanks. How was the road condition?
I think on the whole it should have been fine.

Did you park on the other side of the bridge? What is the bridge status?

Yes as MX said, some snaps would be really nice.

mogambo 2nd August 2010 16:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 2007547)
That explains it thanks. How was the road condition?
I think on the whole it should have been fine.

Did you park on the other side of the bridge? What is the bridge status?

Yes as MX said, some snaps would be really nice.

Bridge is good - and park where? Didn't get that...

ampere 2nd August 2010 16:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by mogambo (Post 2007586)
Bridge is good - and park where? Didn't get that...

Did you come via Papanasam? If yes, you will need to cross the bridge just before the Garbarakshambigai temple.
If you are saying that bridge is complete, then yes you can drive all the way to the temple.

Else, you need to park at the Papanasam side of the bridge. Cross the river in a foot bridge,
take an auto and go to the temple.

Here attached is the Wikimapia link:

http://wikimapia.org/#lat=10.8728406...9&z=15&l=0&m=b

mogambo 2nd August 2010 16:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 2007633)
Did you come via Papanasam? If yes, you will need to cross the bridge just before the Garbarakshambigai temple.
If you are saying that bridge is complete, then yes you can drive all the way to the temple.

Else, you need to park at the Papanasam side of the bridge. Cross the river in a foot bridge,
take an auto and go to the temple.

Here attached is the Wikimapia link:

Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world!

My route was Trichy - Thanjavur (bypass) - Saliyamangalam

So didn't encounter any bridge.... So I take back my "bridge is good" comment :) Meant the Cauvery bridge at Trichy....
Parked right at the temple