Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Closed Thread

Old 19th August 2010, 14:33   #166
BHPian

So its final. After so much of planning, it is 1 car (Swift) and 3 Idiots who will be leaving from Bangalore on 3rd Sept!

Souvik
Old 19th August 2010, 14:34   #167
Team-BHP Support

All the best. Tourism is picking up somewhat, and Nubra valley/Pangong are now accessible to tourists.
Old 19th August 2010, 14:57   #168
Senior - BHPian

wonderful, be prepared well
Old 19th August 2010, 15:21   #169
BHPian

Thanks Tanveer, Rajiv (and thanks to HVK too). Your inputs have taken me this far and I am going to brave the situation and carry on.

Rajiv: I will meet you in Delhi to pick up the Jerry Cans, catch up on coffee and get some details on Hanle too.

Off topic (with reference to Tanveer's comment): I am adding a couple of days to my trip to contribute my personal time for the relief work. I am also contributing money to Ladakh Autonomous Hill Development Council fund (directly to Office of the Chief Executive Councillor).

Do you think TBHP will support the cause?

Souvik
Old 19th August 2010, 17:19   #170
BHPian

@Souvik, All the best for the drive! Great news that you will be spending some time for relief work.
About the jerry cans, I just used them on my trip to Himachal in July. Not the best option as Rajiv would also tell you. Would be easier carrying plastic cans, with suitable packing to prevent leakages.
Drive safe.
Old 19th August 2010, 17:38   #171
Team-BHP Support

A diesel swift can do manali leh on a single tank.
Even plastic jerrycans leak, esp for petrol cars where the fumes are intolerable. If you plan to carry fuel buy the bislery 20l water can. After drinking all the water, you can use it for fuel. It does not leak at all. Truly good quality.
Old 19th August 2010, 18:19   #172
BHPian

@Gautam: Thanks for the wishes. Your log and the experience faced to cross the Rohtang La was quite an ordeal. I hope you go back again. Will PM you later since I have to ask you some specific questions on some stretches.

Well, for the cans, we are locked on to the Jerry Can from Rajiv for now. We are on Swift Petrol.

Souvik
Old 19th August 2010, 18:59   #173
Team-BHP Support

Rajiv was in a car with a separate boot. Your hatchback does not have an external boot. So avoid those plastic cans. Using a baloon as a gasket works somewhat, but fumes will nevertheless enter the cabin.
Rohtang is quite an ordeal, esp with HP getting rain.Make sure you cross in daylight.
What is your tentative date of crossing Rohtang?
Old 19th August 2010, 19:23   #174
BHPian

Hi Tanveer,

Yes, agree that I will face the fumes and will have to work out the baloons to seal neck as much as possible.

My tentative date to cross Ro-La would be 7th / 8th Sep.

Souvik
Old 19th August 2010, 19:31   #175
Sha
BHPian

Jerry cans never inside the car, fumes at higher altitude will make you dizzy and irritation.
I am planning from past 1 year how to fix jerry cans in my Gypsy still in planning stage.
Old 19th August 2010, 19:42   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souvik View Post
Rajiv: I will meet you in Delhi to pick up the Jerry Cans, catch up on coffee and get some details on Hanle too.
Sure Souvik, let me know when you reach here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BolBolero View Post
About the jerry cans, I just used them on my trip to Himachal in July. Not the best option as Rajiv would also tell you. Would be easier carrying plastic cans, with suitable packing to prevent leakages.
Drive safe.
Gautam's expereince with those jerry cans was really bad, one his can actually cracked when fell on floor, it was hair thin crack and he realized it when fuel leaked inside.
So careful with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Even plastic jerrycans leak, esp for petrol cars where the fumes are intolerable.
oh that can be very very painful, last year we had to drive at Chang-La with open windows as Diesel Leaked from similar cans, in Scorpio. And my eyes all soaked with water
Quote:
If you plan to carry fuel buy the bislery 20l water can. After drinking all the water, you can use it for fuel. It does not leak at all. Truly good quality.
This is turning to be the best solution

Quote:
Using a baloon as a gasket works somewhat, but fumes will nevertheless enter the cabin.
Quote:
Yes, agree that I will face the fumes and will have to work out the baloons to seal neck as much as possible.

WARNING : Never ever use baloon as sealant in case of Petrol. In my case the inner layer of balloon degraded/broke and fell inside the Jerry can . And when I was transferring fuel into car, I saw that piece also going in i n split second. It was a panic situation. In any case carry a cotton cloth(dhotti) piece and tie on the neck of can before transferring, as filter

Instead keep pieces of Cycle Tyre Tube
Old 19th August 2010, 19:51   #177
BHPian

Quote:
@Gautam: Thanks for the wishes. Your log and the experience faced to cross the Rohtang La was quite an ordeal. I hope you go back again. Will PM you later since I have to ask you some specific questions on some stretches.

Well, for the cans, we are locked on to the Jerry Can from Rajiv for now. We are on Swift Petrol.

Souvik
Will be definitely going back, hopefully next year, if the people of Ladakh recover from the tragedy that has befallen them. (Hoping for a speedy return to normalcy!)
My two bits of advice: Try to reach Rohtang as early as possible in the morning. That way even if you are stuck till afternoon at Rohtang, due to some unforseen circumstances, you will still be able to reach Keylong, if not Jispa, before nightfall. Carry enough food and water at all times. Things become very unpredictable once you cross Mandi.
Old 19th August 2010, 20:24   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha View Post
Jerry cans never inside the car, fumes at higher altitude will make you dizzy and irritation.
I am planning from past 1 year how to fix jerry cans in my Gypsy still in planning stage.
Hi Sha,
I have done a Ledakh trip from Trivandrum by my Gypsy in july.
I have carried 18 litre pretrol in my 20 litre Jerry Can inside Gypsy, never had any leak or fume problem
Old 19th August 2010, 20:35   #179
BHPian

Rajiv: I guess we will have a hearty discussion on the Jerry Can once we meet in Delhi apart from the Hanle thing I need to ask you about. Good stuff.

Souvik
Old 19th August 2010, 20:37   #180
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonewithwind View Post
Hi Sha,
I have done a Ledakh trip from Trivandrum by my Gypsy in july.
I have carried 18 litre pretrol in my 20 litre Jerry Can inside Gypsy, never had any leak or fume problem
You are very lucky, i am trying to take 3 jerry cans either one leaks it will be headache.
Closed Thread