Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 1st May 2010, 22:36   #16
Team-BHP Support

Are you willing to get a hired cab? If so this is what you can do
Day 6 - Cab from Manali to Kaza(if kunzum is open)
Otherwise, you have to skip spiti, as I am sure you would not want to go back to shimla again.
If you can cancel/change manali bookings, or postpone them then I can suggest an alternate plan.
Otherwise, carrying on from where we started
Day 7 Kaza _ Pin valley Kaza
Day 8 Kaza Tabo
Day 9 Tabo Sangla
Day 10 Sangla + kalpa day trip?
Day 11 Kalpa Tirthan valley via Jalori pass
Day 12 Tirthan valley
Day 13 back to chd
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2010, 23:19   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Are you willing to get a hired cab? If so this is what you can do
Day 6 - Cab from Manali to Kaza(if kunzum is open)
Otherwise, you have to skip spiti, as I am sure you would not want to go back to shimla again.
If you can cancel/change manali bookings, or postpone them then I can suggest an alternate plan.
Otherwise, carrying on from where we started
Day 7 Kaza _ Pin valley Kaza
Day 8 Kaza Tabo
Day 9 Tabo Sangla
Day 10 Sangla + kalpa day trip?
Day 11 Kalpa Tirthan valley via Jalori pass
Day 12 Tirthan valley
Day 13 back to chd
Thanks tsk for the quick reply. Considering that it is not easily feasible to invest time/money to travel to HP from Pune, I would want to cover Kaza. I have following (too many!) questions on this side:
1) Is it possible to hire car on point-2-point basis. I want to avoid travelling everyday, and hence would need car only to reach base points like Kaza/Tabo/Kalpa/Sangla...
2) What do you think are the chances (history/gut feeling) that Manali-Kaza road would be clear around 20th May?
3) Does following plan look ok (or is it that some place is better to warrant longer stay)
- Night 6/7 at Kaza
- Night 8 at Tabo
- Night 9/10 at Kalpa
- Night 11/12 at Sangla
Is tirthan not something that can be missesd?

Regarding skipping/postpoing Manali, I have following constraints:
1) Snow (Am assuming is def avlbl in Rohtang pass)
2) Hot Air baloon/Paragliding
3) I wanted to take a circular route rather than Simla-Kaza-Simla
However, I would still appreciate if you could share the alternate plan you mentioned.

Thanks
Regards
Naren
naren_gs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 16:51   #18
BHPian

Hi! naren

Whether Kunzum will be open by third week of may is anybody's guess. Do have a back up plan ready.

As for paragliding don't do it at Solang valley. The flight time at Solang is hardly a minute and rates are exhorbitant during peak seasons like may.

I did it at a place called "cafe green peace" on the naggar road. The guys there are professionals. You'll leave you vehicle at cafe green peace. They will take you up on a narrow winding mountain road for about 9kms in a mahindra pick up. After that its a trek of about 2 kms to the take of point. The take off point is high enough that you will not be able to identify you car below.
Run and jump of the cliff...and you are airborne.
The flight time is about 15 mins and the experience is Awesome. Don't eat just before the flight. You might throw up.

For info you can contact Sterling resorts Manali (prini). They have the numbers of the guys at cafe green peace. Two years back they charged Rs.1400 for one flight
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 00:57   #19
BHPian

Default Similar plan to do Pune Delhi in summers

Folks, Not to break the rhythm of the conversation _ i've got similar plans except for the fact that I'm planning to drive to Delhi from Pune. and then onward till Reckon and then Kaza..Sounds ambitious. I'm either way round going to be in Delhi to attend a friends wedding..so Im thinkning itd be a good idea to do justice to my 7 days of leave from office (excluding the weekend). That said... my worries dont start from Delhi..they start right when i move from Pune. I've driven Pune - Delhi close to 5 times now , however environmental and siutational conditions have been different.

For one, I had a different on most of my other trips - I had a Ford Ikon 1.6. These days Im driving a Skoda Octavia Diesel. Secondly, I havent tried out my Skoda Octavia for a long haul in summer months. Considering that the temperaturesa are going in the mid 40'c , I'm rather nervous about the 1st leg of the drive.

To top it all of you, I'm planning..well dreaming of driving to Reckon Peo or maybe do the Jalori Pass route. Bottom line..I could either do ...Delhi Shimla Rampur.. Peo and then ahead through Nako to Kaza. Sounds mesmerising,.,unfortunately I dont have first hand information on the road conditions.

ANy help and comments on the road conditions from Shimla to Kaza would helpful? and IN case you've heard of some good or bad things about SKoda in summer months - let me know and I'll be a very happy person...
vankito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 17:29   #20
BHPian

Thanks you all for your inputs.

If Rohtang/Kunzum passes are open, I will hire a cab and go to tribal areas.

Thanks again
Regards
Old 14th May 2010, 13:07   #21
Senior - BHPian

Whats the update on this? Has the trip been planned and executed? The way it has been drawn it is going to be very hectic. But are the hotel bookings done, otherwise there is no use transversing two different watersheds and high altitude plains acorss the Himalayan range all in one go.
@airwolf can you suggest the probable date for Kunzam La opening?

Plus depending upon Kunzam is dicey. What I suggest it that from Manali you can proceed to Udaipur and stay there for a day or two. For snow a trip onto the reaches of Baralacha from darcha can also be accommodated. I will not suggest doing Manali, taking a circular route towards Kaza, and then through Satluj valley ascending onto Shimla, unless you want to be travelling alomst on a daily basis.

@ vankito: Same suggestions for you. If headed up into the Satluj valley do not come back and cross over to Kullu through Jalori. You can easily do RecongPeo and Kalpa and throw in a halt at Sarahan and Sangla on your journey. The road conditions are from Ok to good through the entire route except from Wangtu to Karcham. The road is in a mess and if it rains will turn into a slush track. Otherwise barring a few patches of varying lengths (2 mtrs to about 10 mtrs) the entire stretch is a beauty and you will love the drive. On your way back would suggest coming via Kothgarh and not Rampur to add novelty. In case you want to be even more adventurous do a day trip from RPeo to Nako lake. You will get the feel of actual Himalayan Topography plus the meeting point of Satluj and Spiti rivers at Khab.

Last edited by wanderernomad : 14th May 2010 at 13:18.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 18:38   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Whats the update on this?.
Hi,
I have completed the trip - though I curtailed it & excluded Spiti/Kinnaur (Kunzum was not opened and roads were closed at couple of places on shimla-Kaza road).

Visited Shimla/Manali/Keylong/Naggar/Kullu. It had snowed till 18th May in Rohtang & Lahual. Rohtang was all covered with snow and Keylong was at sub-zero temperatures.

Thank you Team BHP for all the inputs, airwolf in specific (It was disappointing that I could not manage to meet him in person)

Regards
Naren
Old 5th June 2010, 20:41   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naren_gs1 View Post
Hi,
I have completed the trip - though I curtailed it & excluded Spiti/Kinnaur (Kunzum was not opened and roads were closed at couple of places on shimla-Kaza road).

Visited Shimla/Manali/Keylong/Naggar/Kullu. It had snowed till 18th May in Rohtang & Lahual. Rohtang was all covered with snow and Keylong was at sub-zero temperatures.

Thank you Team BHP for all the inputs, airwolf in specific (It was disappointing that I could not manage to meet him in person)

Regards
Naren

Good to know that you are back Naren, and i hope you had pleasent holidays in and around Manali, Kunzum pass was opened last week for 2 days only and there after again it got closed due to snow fall and still the weather conditions at upper areas are same as it is snowing there off and on...and as per weather update its only after this wednesday sky will be cleared and there after the Kunzum Pass.

Dont be disappointed, atleast am happy that we met here on Team Bhp and in future too if you need any help regarding this area, feel free to ask me.

DRIVE SAFE & BE SAFE !!!
airwolf9211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 13:02   #24

Default Planning a road trip into the beautiful wilderness of Himachal

Hi. I have recently acquired a brand new Ford Figo TDCi - just about a month back that is.

I have been wanting to do a week long road trip into the Himachal - only non commercial places - as in avoiding the likes of Shimla etc. I have done a road trip in my previous car Alto (in Oct. 2010) to Chandigarh, Kasauli, Barog and returning to Delhi via Jullundhar (my in-laws place).

Another one was in Dec 2010 to Shimla, Mashobra & Kufri in WagonR along with my sister and bro in law. Both the said trips were more like extended weekend getaways. In the Kasauli one, I was the lone driver and thoroughly enjoyed it. The Mashobra trip was more enjoyable whilst driving - where in I drove through most of the hills part as well.

A trip to places like Khajjiar, Dalhousie, Mcleodganj has been on my mind for a long time and I guess its doable without an SUV as well - as in a Safari or a Scorpio of sorts.

The route I have had in mind for a while is as under:

Delhi - Nalagarh (via Pinjaur/Baddi) - Kiratpur Sahib - Andndpur Sahib - Nangal - Kangra (via Amb / Nadaun) - Dharamshala - Chamba - Khajjiar - Dalhousie / Mcleodganj - Jullundhar - Delhi

The way I have checked and researched - the round trip could be anything around 1400 - 1500 kms and needs at least 7-8 days, given my experience and knowledge of the area.

I would love to get any feedback from BHPians, who have traversed the area or know about it.

I am planning to undertake this route (or any other better scenic one) sometime in September / October. And yes, I will more or less be the lone driver (which I would love to be, actually).

In case anyone has inputs on any other lesser traveled areas of Himachal with natural essence intact - Please feel free to share about it.

Cheers,
Pawanjot
kreativebug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2012, 19:11   #25
BHPian

Default Re: Planning a Himachal Holiday

Just read in today's newspaper that it has snowed in Himachal. I would like to take my family - wife, 5year old son and myself to the closest snow bound place between Christmas and new Year. We will be traveling from Delhi.

I would like it to be not too crowded but I don't have the stamina to go to far flung places. I can hire a cab from Delhi and have freedom of movement.

So any recommendations for:-
1. places to visit?
2. particular hotels highly recommended (economy class)?
3. good Delhi based cab service? Good service, tructworthy, good fleet of vehicle (say Innova, etc) and very good, experienced driver very important. Driver should be experienced in driving to hill stations.

Any response will be appreciated.
Guite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2012, 09:16   #26
Team-BHP Support

Everywhere in hp and other Hill stains will be crowded. For less crowd you can go to pahalgam. Book jktdc online. In hp you can try hatu hotel in narkanda though booking will be tough. If you do not find booking in narkanda try dalhousie. But frankly speaking booking will be tough. Kashmir is your best bet. Or places like kasauni in ukhand
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2012, 11:24   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
So any recommendations for:-
1. places to visit?
2. particular hotels highly recommended (economy class)?
3. good Delhi based cab service? Good service, tructworthy, good fleet of vehicle (say Innova, etc) and very good, experienced driver very important. Driver should be experienced in driving to hill stations.

Any response will be appreciated.
If your heart is set on going to Himachal Pradesh, you can choose any one below sector

Option 1

1. Shimla, Narkhanda, Naldhera, Kasauli. Assuming your going for a week, you can stay 1 night in Kasauli, 2 nights in Shimla and one night in Narkhanda ( Hotel Hatu)

2. Plenty hotels ranging from Rs.1000 onwards for a family

3. Innova current market price is Rs.10/Kilometer + Daily wage to driver

We got the innova for this price through a friend. It could be slightly higher if approached directly

Option 2

1. Manali ( here it snowed heavily last weekend), Manikaran, Rohtang Pass and other surrounding areas
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2012, 11:39   #28
BHPian

Hailing from Himachal, I can never understand the fascination people have with snow. I guess it's one of those things when you have something you never value it. More than that snowfall for us means dealing with new problems such as frozen pipes, bad roads and incessant tourists who are more often than not considerate about the Locals.

But still if you really want to see snow fall and want to go to places where it will be less crazy, I suggest you stay away from Kullu Manali and Shimla, these places are so saturated these days that more than fun you will be cringing. I would suggest Chamba, Dalhousie and Khajiar or even DharamShala, and if you are the adventurous kind, might I suggest areas of Upper Shimla, Kothghad, Kothkhai or Thanadar. You can also try Barog near Solan or Subathu near Kasauli.

There are strict advantages and disadvantages of these relatively remote locations.
Advantages - Cheap stay, not very crowded, more open space to picnic around and stuff.
Disadvantages - Relatively remote so you have to be carefull

One more thing, take a local taxi driver, the drivers you get in Punjab and Delhi have generally no knowledge about Hilly driving, ,most of these morons drive with an agenda to hell so be careful about that. A point from which you will immediately know if the guy is a rookie.
If he overtakes on a turn then this guy does not his hills.

So take your pick and do enjoy Himachal - the land of the Gods, but please leave it the way you found it.

Cheers

Last edited by eq24 : 18th December 2012 at 11:49.
eq24 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2012, 12:44   #29
BHPian

Thanks you all for the responses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Everywhere in hp and other Hill stains will be crowded. For less crowd you can go to pahalgam. Book jktdc online. In hp you can try hatu hotel in narkanda though booking will be tough. If you do not find booking in narkanda try dalhousie. But frankly speaking booking will be tough. Kashmir is your best bet. Or places like kasauni in ukhand
Booking is tough indeed, there is huge rush if the dearth of rooms on online booking sites is any indication. I am definitely planning very late. As per your advise I am veering towards Kashmir but my entire transport allowance will be consumed by air fare, which means I will have to shell out local transport from my own account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
If your heart is set on going to Himachal Pradesh, you can choose any one below sector

Option 1
1. Shimla, Narkhanda, Naldhera, Kasauli. Assuming your going for a week, you can stay 1 night in Kasauli, 2 nights in Shimla and one night in Narkhanda ( Hotel Hatu)
2. Plenty hotels ranging from Rs.1000 onwards for a family
3. Innova current market price is Rs.10/Kilometer + Daily wage to driver
We got the innova for this price through a friend. It could be slightly higher if approached directly

Option 2
1. Manali ( here it snowed heavily last weekend), Manikaran, Rohtang Pass and other surrounding areas
Good options. I may contact you again for the Innova. I suppose it will be difficult to do Delhi Manali in one day. Which town would be a good place to break journey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
I suggest you stay away from Kullu Manali and Shimla, these places are so saturated these days that more than fun you will be cringing. I would suggest Chamba, Dalhousie and Khajiar or even DharamShala, and if you are the adventurous kind, might I suggest areas of Upper Shimla, Kothghad, Kothkhai or Thanadar. You can also try Barog near Solan or Subathu near Kasauli.
I don't like crowded places but with wife and kid i am not adventurous. Therein lies my dilemma. Thanks for the suggested places.

Quote:
A point from which you will immediately know if the guy is a rookie. If he overtakes on a turn then this guy does not his hills.
Very good point. I am very concerned about safety on the hilly roads.

Quote:
So take your pick and do enjoy Himachal - the land of the Gods, but please leave it the way you found it.
Indeed. Preserve nature.
Guite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2012, 13:00   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post

I don't like crowded places but with wife and kid i am not adventurous. Therein lies my dilemma. Thanks for the suggested places.
Ok with family, that definitely rules out Upper Shimla, not on the unsafe or dangerous grounds but simply during heavy snowfalls most roads tend to close up and being marooned is not ideal.

Might I then suggest Barog, it's around 3.5 hours from Chandigarah, there is a lovely hotel there Barog Heights (Himachal Govt.), very safe and nice views all around, it also really snows there and being near to CHD it won't be that much of a risk, also NH up to there is really wide and easy to drive. You could also visit Kasauli in the day time and return to Barog in the evening around an hours drive to Kasauli.

Do try to stay in HPTDC hotels, they are economic, safe and are in the best locations. Private ones tend to fleece customers at this time.

Also and this will be very common at this time, there are a lot of youngsters out of nearby places in CHD, Punjab or Haryana and they generally get very drunk and start unnecessary drama, stay away from these types and you will have a good time.

If you take a local taxi do fix the rate before. Also it's better to get the hotel to do it for you, expensive but safe, if you do do this on your own, head to any nearest bus stand as there are registered taxi wallahs there so you should be OK.

Enjoy
eq24 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote