Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2010, 23:04   #16
BHPian
 
airwolf9211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Manali (H.P.)
Posts: 64
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Another one rare picture for all of you....
Hope you all will like it


Finally Rohtang Pass is opened now, Good NEWS for Team BHP'ians-image47.jpg

Deepak Taal (On the way to Zing Zing Bar) its still covered with snow
Hope that Baralacha Pass will open by the end of this month
airwolf9211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 23:34   #17
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,629
Thanked: 10,862 Times
Default

This is great. A BHPian with first-hand info on these areas, with a need to travel regularly on work, to places where we hope to go just once or twice!

@ airwolf9211, I'm sure you will be one of the best sources of info for all of us travelling to that area right through the next few months, and hope you'll entertain the flood of questions & PMs you're likely to get. I have queries too - but I'll bring them up after all the others have finished!

Great pics - let's have some more of them.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 01:11   #18
BHPian
 
airwolf9211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Manali (H.P.)
Posts: 64
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
This is great. A BHPian with first-hand info on these areas, with a need to travel regularly on work, to places where we hope to go just once or twice!

@ airwolf9211, I'm sure you will be one of the best sources of info for all of us travelling to that area right through the next few months, and hope you'll entertain the flood of questions & PMs you're likely to get. I have queries too - but I'll bring them up after all the others have finished!

Great pics - let's have some more of them.

@ SS... this picture is for you to cherrish
and can anyone guess the LOCATION .....?

Finally Rohtang Pass is opened now, Good NEWS for Team BHP'ians-image68.jpg

Thats true where you all people come here once or twice, we go there for our work on regular basis, and now its in our routine to go places like lahaul spiti, kaza, kinnaur, tindi, chamba and above all leh ladakh (upto china border) and trust me everytime we are back from the tour, it seems that we have left our soul there...

Finally Rohtang Pass is opened now, Good NEWS for Team BHP'ians-image78.jpg

It been more than 10 years regularly visiting all these places, but everytime you go, you will find new things and more close to the NATURE
Ofcourse any kind of info you need ...feel free to ask me, and dont wait for the right time to ask your querries, because you newer know when the road is opened and i drive to leh, as mostly when the road is open after the snow clearance we have bada khaana with GREF people at Baralacha Pass and our team is the first few vehicles to cross Baralacha Pass and drive to virgin mountains of leh ladakh

Finally Rohtang Pass is opened now, Good NEWS for Team BHP'ians-image31.jpg

I can really smell the fresh air passing through all these passes...it feels so excited, so dont be late in asking your querries, else you have to wait for long
DRIVE SAFE & BE SAFE !!!

Last edited by airwolf9211 : 11th May 2010 at 01:13.
airwolf9211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 10:26   #19
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,629
Thanked: 10,862 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwolf9211 View Post
@ SS... this picture is for you to cherrish
and can anyone guess the LOCATION .....?

Attachment 346367
Beautiful place, but I wouldn't hazard a guess. Tell us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwolf9211 View Post
...dont be late in asking your querries, else you have to wait for long
Not too long, I hope! Ok, I'm planning to drive the Leh circuit (or as they say on this forum, "planning to get Leh'd") in the first two weeks of October, in a 4wd Scorpio. Plan to go via Manali and return via Srinagar. Your opinion about the timing, and feedback about the weather conditions generally prevailing at that time please.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2010, 01:47   #20
BHPian
 
airwolf9211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Manali (H.P.)
Posts: 64
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Beautiful place, but I wouldn't hazard a guess. Tell us.

Not too long, I hope! Ok, I'm planning to drive the Leh circuit (or as they say on this forum, "planning to get Leh'd") in the first two weeks of October, in a 4wd Scorpio. Plan to go via Manali and return via Srinagar. Your opinion about the timing, and feedback about the weather conditions generally prevailing at that time please.

@SS
its realy very feel good factor to be Leh'd

Who suggested you to be Leh'd in first two weeks of october...???
As by that time mostly all the passes will be closed due to snow, forget about 4wd Scorpio, then you have to fly back to your place ...
Rather than October i'll suggest you to plan your trip in last week of August, that is the BEST time to visit Leh and to be Leh'd as the weather that time will be at its BEST!!!
Even we finish our visits to Leh mostly and lately by mid or end of Sept., and its rare and by chance if weather is moderate and there is no snowfall, it can be in October too...but its sheer LUCK (LUCK BY CHANCE) !!!
So dont think of going in October ... and still you have any doubts, feel free to post it.


Finally Rohtang Pass is opened now, Good NEWS for Team BHP'ians-cimg0895.jpg



DRIVE SAFE & BE SAFE !!!
airwolf9211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2010, 09:13   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwolf9211 View Post
@SS
its realy very feel good factor to be Leh'd

Who suggested you to be Leh'd in first two weeks of october...???
As by that time mostly all the passes will be closed due to snow, forget about 4wd Scorpio, then you have to fly back to your place ...

So dont think of going in October ... and still you have any doubts, feel free to post it.
The passes don't close down in October, just that there are chances of some early snowfall that may shut down the roads for 2-3 days. The Raid Himalaya happens in the third week of October, they are not flying the rally cars over the Himalayas

Even the tent camps at Sarchu, Hotel Ibex at Jispa, the hotels at Kaza and the tent camps at Tso Moriri remain open till the rally gets over.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2010, 09:24   #22
BHPian
 
asdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 950
Thanked: 293 Times
Default

wow these pictures bring some sweet memories from 5 yrs back, that time I travelled in June, and via one hired sumo, now as we have some one from Team BHP, I want to know till which month Rohtang is open, and if I plan to go there in Dec, how far can I go?
asdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2010, 10:47   #23
BHPian
 
genesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 765
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwolf9211 View Post
@ SS... this picture is for you to cherrish
and can anyone guess the LOCATION .....?

Attachment 346367

DRIVE SAFE & BE SAFE !!!
Hazarding a guess:

Is this after Kunzum towards Rohtang, where one crosses the chandra river. There is a dhaba around the corner?
genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2010, 11:28   #24
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 56
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwolf9211 View Post
Another one rare picture for all of you....
Hope you all will like it

Deepak Taal (On the way to Zing Zing Bar) its still covered with snow
Hope that Baralacha Pass will open by the end of this month
Indeed a rare picture! and what you have here is a privilege to witness these rare sights or phenomena's so to speak

tremendously different from what it looks like in the summers..

Airwolf - thanks! and do keep them coming,

ps: my guess is that little bridge is right before zing zing bar.
Attached Thumbnails
Finally Rohtang Pass is opened now, Good NEWS for Team BHP'ians-4166555708_0493543b1d_b.jpg  


Last edited by Sli_ce : 12th May 2010 at 11:31.
Sli_ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2010, 12:08   #25
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,629
Thanked: 10,862 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwolf9211 View Post
Who suggested you to be Leh'd in first two weeks of october...???
...dont think of going in October ...
No one suggested my travel schedules! However, 1st - 19th October is the only window I have to do the trip this year. Despite the strict negative advisory that you give for travel to the area at that time, I still get the impression, and am inclined to agree with HVK, that the Manali-Leh road does stay open till that time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
The passes don't close down in October...
The Raid Himalaya happens in the third week of October...
So I checked. Even this year's R-d-H is from 8th - 17th October. I plan to be south of Jammu by the 17th.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Even the tent camps at Sarchu, Hotel Ibex at Jispa, the hotels at Kaza and the tent camps at Tso Moriri remain open till the rally gets over.
That's even better news! And I presume the rates become discounted too?
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2010, 23:54   #26
BHPian
 
airwolf9211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Manali (H.P.)
Posts: 64
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
The passes don't close down in October, just that there are chances of some early snowfall that may shut down the roads for 2-3 days. The Raid Himalaya happens in the third week of October, they are not flying the rally cars over the Himalayas

Even the tent camps at Sarchu, Hotel Ibex at Jispa, the hotels at Kaza and the tent camps at Tso Moriri remain open till the rally gets over.

@hvkumar

Its good to know that you keep urself updated about the snowfall and road closures of this area...

Its just to add that i live here 24x7 so i guess i can tell you the exact situation of the roads in October, if you remember The Raid de Himalaya has called off in year 2007 n 2008 due to heavy snow and in year 2009 then it was decided to finish the Raid at Srinagar and then participant moved from srinagar to jammu to their onwards journey, as in 6th leg they experienced snow at all the passes and somehow they managed to escape those passes.

And as far as Tents at Sarchu and Hotel Ibex at Jispa, they close down maximum at the end of September and if weather conditions are normal, they extend for another week or ten days at the most... Hotels at Kaza and Tents at Tso Moriri also closes around this time, and if they extend their stay there, it hardly makes any difference to them, as they are localites, and if there is snow they can manage to go to their respective places at their own arrangements.

The Official date for the road closure of all these ares is maximum 15th October (depend upon weather, or maybe early but not later than 15th) if you are travelling beyond these dates, then you are travelling at your risk without being rescued by any officials

I hope, now you would be knowing what i wanted to say here about travelling to all these passes in October, and am sure you would also not prefer to travel to all these passes in October.


Finally Rohtang Pass is opened now, Good NEWS for Team BHP'ians-image109.jpg

This is the picture in 2009 October in Scorpio (Driving on Rohtang Pass from Koksar while it was snowing, on top of Rohtang Pass it had a snow of two feet) while coming back to Manali after Raid de Himalaya had proceeded to Leh.

Finally Rohtang Pass is opened now, Good NEWS for Team BHP'ians-image110.jpg

Its really thrill to drive on the pass covered with snow and still snowing as you are climbing up....ONLY IF YOU HAVE LUCK WITH YOU
Just imagine if anything breaks down of the vehicle you are in...... what will be your situation ....................... ???
airwolf9211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 00:10   #27
BHPian
 
airwolf9211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Manali (H.P.)
Posts: 64
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
wow these pictures bring some sweet memories from 5 yrs back, that time I travelled in June, and via one hired sumo, now as we have some one from Team BHP, I want to know till which month Rohtang is open, and if I plan to go there in Dec, how far can I go?
@asdon
I hope in my above reply your querry would have got replied... and just to add, if Rohtang Top is closed due to snow, still you can go till snow point whichever will be close by that all depends upon how much snow the Pass had....

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
Hazarding a guess:

Is this after Kunzum towards Rohtang, where one crosses the chandra river. There is a dhaba around the corner?
@ genesis

Okay i came to know what bridge you are talking about ...
this bridge is on Manali-Leh route

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sli_ce View Post
Indeed a rare picture! and what you have here is a privilege to witness these rare sights or phenomena's so to speak

tremendously different from what it looks like in the summers..

Airwolf - thanks! and do keep them coming,

ps: my guess is that little bridge is right before zing zing bar.
@ Sli_ce

Yes you are right this Bridge is before zing zing bar, the place called patsio, its a patsio's bridge Good that u made it !!!


Finally Rohtang Pass is opened now, Good NEWS for Team BHP'ians-image68.jpg

Again Deepak tal .... this is in late October very few people can witness this view.

Finally Rohtang Pass is opened now, Good NEWS for Team BHP'ians-image64.jpg

One more for you to cherrish and going deep in thoughts, and trust me i moved till middle of this lake and came back as in middle i could hear the sound of cracking ice. Thickness of ice was around 60 cm...wanted to drive on this kind of ice and perform some goody stunts...What an Idea...???
airwolf9211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 00:20   #28
BHPian
 
airwolf9211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Manali (H.P.)
Posts: 64
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
No one suggested my travel schedules! However, 1st - 19th October is the only window I have to do the trip this year. Despite the strict negative advisory that you give for travel to the area at that time, I still get the impression, and am inclined to agree with HVK, that the Manali-Leh road does stay open till that time.

@SS

I will still not suggest you to opt for these dates,

If you have only this window left out and yes to the extreme if you are going along with guys gang its okay, i would suggest you then go to Leh via Manali and then Srinagar and onwards, if everything goes well am sure you will be able to make it.

DRIVE SAFE & BE SAFE !!!
airwolf9211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 10:51   #29
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,629
Thanked: 10,862 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwolf9211 View Post
...i would suggest you then go to Leh via Manali and then Srinagar and onwards, if everything goes well am sure you will be able to make it.
@airwolf9211: Thanks for those encouraging words. Have sent you a PM regarding the same.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 22:21   #30
BHPian
 
airwolf9211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Manali (H.P.)
Posts: 64
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
@airwolf9211: Thanks for those encouraging words. Have sent you a PM regarding the same.
@SS

You are most welcome SS, will contact you soon ....


Finally Rohtang Pass is opened now, Good NEWS for Team BHP'ians-dsc05454.jpg

Snow man )))
airwolf9211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NGT gives a blanket ban to commercial diesel vehicles on Rohtang Pass tsk1979 Route / Travel Queries 37 16th July 2015 12:05
Tata Safari 4x4 at Rohtang Pass/Manali AMAN_SACHDEV 4x4 Excursions 63 24th October 2014 18:03
Rohtang Didn't Let me Pass; Spiti & Chandratal It Was! BolBolero Travelogues 110 11th September 2010 00:12
Katraj by-pass and new tunnel have opened! pilbeam Route / Travel Queries 0 23rd September 2006 13:29


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:04.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks