Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2010, 13:29   #31
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,628
Thanked: 10,831 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwolf9211 View Post
You are most welcome SS, will contact you soon ....
Shall look forward to it. I was wondering... what car and tyres do you use to tackle this kind of snow?
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2010, 00:18   #32
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 149
Thanked: 67 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwolf9211 View Post
Yes true jay.... the joy of first sighting of the yaer is just awesome, when u see loads of snow around the lake, its like a virgin place and love to be there !!!

Tour on bike is real good, except the nallah crossing in the afternoon, so plan and travel accordingly
...cheers

You are most welcome, and do let me know if any further help needed about the place.

DRIVE SAFE & BE SAFE !!!
Hi airwolf9211
Thanks for the wonderful pics, Just amazing Makes my heart flutter.
I will be in Manali for 20-23, staying at SASE, I heard the location of SASE is great enroute to Rohtang Pass.
I am reaching on 20th evening.
On 21st I am planning Rohtang and Solang valley,
on 22nd I am planning to go Nagger and Manikiran.
on 23 i am leaving for Dharamsala.
Kindly suggest if the above plan is okay. I am not not getting any info for the Manali to Dharamsala.Any info on this will be useful since that is one missing link in my plan.
With request for more pics please
bullock-Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2010, 00:29   #33
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,953
Thanked: 15,648 Times
Default

Rohtang pass opened quite some time back. Problem is baralach la which is still closed. Do you have any updates for the same?
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 19:43   #34
BHPian
 
airwolf9211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Manali (H.P.)
Posts: 64
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullock-Car View Post
Hi airwolf9211
Thanks for the wonderful pics, Just amazing Makes my heart flutter.
I will be in Manali for 20-23, staying at SASE, I heard the location of SASE is great enroute to Rohtang Pass.
I am reaching on 20th evening.
On 21st I am planning Rohtang and Solang valley,
on 22nd I am planning to go Nagger and Manikiran.
on 23 i am leaving for Dharamsala.
Kindly suggest if the above plan is okay. I am not not getting any info for the Manali to Dharamsala.Any info on this will be useful since that is one missing link in my plan.
With request for more pics please
Welcome to Manali !!!
You have chosen the right place to stay "SASE", infact the location is called mini swiss, these days its lawn are full of roses and very nice and scenic view of the same and am sure you will love the place, and it will be a real good experience for you to stay there.

Keeping in mind just 2 days you have with you, your plan is okay, or if you have more days i will suggest you to plan ur visit to keylong for a day.

Manali to Dharamsala is connected by deluxe bus which leaves Manali at 6 pm...for further info you can contact the travel agents here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Rohtang pass opened quite some time back. Problem is baralach la which is still closed. Do you have any updates for the same?
@tsk1979

Rohtang was opened just a week back, before i started this thread, and after visiting lahaul i opened this thread and posted few fresh pictures of the same for our fellow Team Bhpians

Yes sure i do have updated of Baralachla, as am also waiting to drive through to Leh... Baralachla is supposed to be opened by 25th of this month, but since last three days its been raining here and Baralachla Pass is recieving fresh snowfall, so it maybe delayed by week or so.

Finally Rohtang Pass is opened now, Good NEWS for Team BHP'ians-dsc03837.jpg

Baralachla Pass on 8 Oct 2009, A view to view !!!


DRIVE SAFE & BE SAFE !!!

Last edited by tsk1979 : 19th May 2010 at 11:05.
airwolf9211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2010, 00:00   #35
BHPian
 
airwolf9211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Manali (H.P.)
Posts: 64
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Hope bullock-Car is enjoying his trip to Manali

DRIVE SAFE & BE SAFE !!!
airwolf9211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2010, 16:55   #36
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,953
Thanked: 15,648 Times
Default

Hi airwolf, can you post some updates about Baralach La. The date of opening was 23rd may IIRC. However, it has still not opened as I cannot find any updates.
Somebody I know says that the pass is open, but due to lot of ice on road, BRO/GREF are delaying the announcement until the road becomes 2WD motor-able.
My trip date is coming up, so I am a little worried now. Hopefully pass will open by this sunday?
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2010, 20:56   #37
BHPian
 
airwolf9211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Manali (H.P.)
Posts: 64
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Hi airwolf, can you post some updates about Baralach La. The date of opening was 23rd may IIRC. However, it has still not opened as I cannot find any updates.
Somebody I know says that the pass is open, but due to lot of ice on road, BRO/GREF are delaying the announcement until the road becomes 2WD motor-able.
My trip date is coming up, so I am a little worried now. Hopefully pass will open by this sunday?

@TSK
I hope you are enjoying your holidays at leh now... you will be glad to know that you made a good decision for opting pathankot-srinagar-leh route, as Baralachla Pass is yet not open, and since last 3 days its having snowfall and still it will take 2-3 days to clear the Pass after the weather is clear.

Which means the weather will be cleared only on this wednesday and i hope till you come back from leh the pass will be opened

Hope you have great time and looking forward to see leh through your pictures !!! And if in Manali, if you need any help...feel free to contact me.


DRIVE SAFE & BE SAFE !!!

Last edited by airwolf9211 : 5th June 2010 at 20:57.
airwolf9211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010, 21:14   #38
BHPian
 
airwolf9211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Manali (H.P.)
Posts: 64
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Sad News for Team Bhp Travellers to Leh... Baralachla Pass closed again due to fresh snow fall, lot of people are waiting for the pass to open and stranded in keylong and jispa.

Since last night its been snowing on the upper reaches and experiencing fresh snow fall and here in Manali its been raining cats n dogs since last night without even a stop for a minute.

Hope that Baralachla Pass will be cleared till friday if all goes well and weather is clear.



DRIVE SAFE & BE SAFE !!!
airwolf9211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 10:11   #39
BHPian
 
amitw79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 124
Thanked: 114 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwolf9211 View Post
Since last night its been snowing on the upper reaches and experiencing fresh snow fall and here in Manali its been raining cats n dogs since last night without even a stop for a minute.
Well I am certainly hoping to see some clear weather in Manali, when I will be there this weekend

Weather forecast for Manali: Manali - Himachal Pradesh Weather Report - Yahoo! India Weather
amitw79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2010, 20:51   #40
BHPian
 
airwolf9211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Manali (H.P.)
Posts: 64
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Rohtang is opened again after getting 2 feet of fresh snow fall ...
but in coming days more snow is expected, so people driving there be careful, as a group from mumbai was stuck there across rohtang in batal.... they were air lifted yesterday in very pity condition

Finally Rohtang Pass is opened now, Good NEWS for Team BHP'ians-image55.jpg



Dint had my camera with me, but i could only click from cell phone the people who were rescued from batal....


Finally Rohtang Pass is opened now, Good NEWS for Team BHP'ians-image56.jpg


So please plan your trip accordingly ....!


DRIVE SAFE & BE SAFE !!!
airwolf9211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 17:16   #41
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ............
Posts: 3,260
Thanked: 4,212 Times
Default Re: Finally Rohtang Pass is opened now, Good NEWS for Team BHP'ians

I am toying with the idea of visiting Kullu/Manali/Rohtang Pass in my Linea by the first week of this September. Will it be okay? Can I drive in my Linea to these places without any issues like bottom-scraping? Kindly enlighten me.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 14:49   #42
BHPian
 
asdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 950
Thanked: 293 Times
Default Re: Finally Rohtang Pass is opened now, Good NEWS for Team BHP'ians

Hi Guys, I am planning to go to Leh/Ladakh in end of Sep / start of October, how the weather condition will be in that time(will I find snow), and how the road condition from Manali to Leh via Rotang? If I hire a taxi from Manali to Leh how much they may ask for?
asdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 17:09   #43
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 828
Thanked: 113 Times
Default Re: Finally Rohtang Pass is opened now, Good NEWS for Team BHP'ians

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullock-Car View Post
just awesome!!, I am going to Manali on May 20-22,10. I am unable to control my excitement to see this pass.
What is the best time to leave beyond the Rohtang pass how long the taxi will go/taxiwallas will take? Any tips on this Rohtang pass/solang valley will be appreciated

Pray why?!! Rohtang is and has been worse then Brigade road @9pm (in the worst kind of Bangalore traffic)on a Saturday for example. You want to smell petrol fumes and diesel smog for 4 hours cramped in a vehicle? Then you step outside to see dirty snow with oil stains from the smog tinged with dirt. And the dhaabas there serve equally bad food food as the roadside eateries in a city.

A better idea is to hit the Hindustan Tibet Road via Simla--> Kinnaur --> Rekong Peo --> Nako -> Sumdo --> Tabo --> Kaaza --> then finally do the mountain pass "Kunzum La" on the way to Chandertaal. If you want to enjoy pristine beauty and experience joy in its purity i.e.

I never understood why people chant the name of Rohtang since decades, like its the golden towers in the hollywood flick "Mckennas Gold " or something.

--Ragul

Last edited by Ragul : 30th May 2011 at 17:11.
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 17:23   #44
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,953
Thanked: 15,648 Times
Default Re: Finally Rohtang Pass is opened now, Good NEWS for Team BHP'ians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Pray why?!! Rohtang is and has been worse then Brigade road @9pm (in the worst kind of Bangalore traffic)on a Saturday for example. You want to smell petrol fumes and diesel smog for 4 hours cramped in a vehicle? Then you step outside to see dirty snow with oil stains from the smog tinged with dirt. And the dhaabas there serve equally bad food food as the roadside eateries in a city.

A better idea is to hit the Hindustan Tibet Road via Simla--> Kinnaur --> Rekong Peo --> Nako -> Sumdo --> Tabo --> Kaaza --> then finally do the mountain pass "Kunzum La" on the way to Chandertaal. If you want to enjoy pristine beauty and experience joy in its purity i.e.

I never understood why people chant the name of Rohtang since decades, like its the golden towers in the hollywood flick "Mckennas Gold " or something.

--Ragul
Kunzum opens sometime in june, and ditto for chandertaal(late june)
AS for why people chant the name of Rohtang.
Well maybe because, its one of the few places where you can enjoy snowfall in the middle of summer
For example, this picture was taken on 10th may 2009.
Delhi was around 43 degree C at that time

Name:  534943545_V7nhvL.jpg
Views: 11360
Size:  119.2 KB

And this was actually taken much before Rohtang pass
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 17:05   #45
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,953
Thanked: 15,648 Times
Default Re: Finally Rohtang Pass is opened now, Good NEWS for Team BHP'ians

Note from mod : Moving relevant posts to Leh 2011 thread
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NGT gives a blanket ban to commercial diesel vehicles on Rohtang Pass tsk1979 Route / Travel Queries 37 16th July 2015 12:05
Tata Safari 4x4 at Rohtang Pass/Manali AMAN_SACHDEV 4x4 Excursions 63 24th October 2014 18:03
Rohtang Didn't Let me Pass; Spiti & Chandratal It Was! BolBolero Travelogues 110 11th September 2010 00:12
Katraj by-pass and new tunnel have opened! pilbeam Route / Travel Queries 0 23rd September 2006 13:29


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:31.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks