Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2013, 14:54   #61
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 60
Thanked: 6 Times
Default re: Delhi - Kullu - Manali - Delhi : Route Queries

Thanks so much for prompt reply.

Will update once I am back.

Have a happy Dussehra to you and to your family.

Regards
INV

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Patiala-Rajpura-Kharar-Rupnagar-Kiratpur-Bilaspur-Mandi-Kulu-Manali.

The same NH21 from Kharar onwards.




Road from Kiratpur to Bilaspur remains as bad as ever.



With snowfall occurring on and off in the higher reaches, temperature can dip further.



It recently snowed in Ladakh, Baralacha la, but no idea about Rohtang. But now that winter is approaching, expect snowfall in Rohtang too.



You need to take permits to drive to Rohtang, assuming it is open when you visit. Once snowfall starts, there are plenty of restrictions on travel on the road to Rohtang. I prefer my own car to some rusty taxi.
i_nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2014, 01:36   #62
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 6
Thanked: Once
Default re: Delhi - Kullu - Manali - Delhi : Route Queries

Hi
Was planning a roadtrip from Delhi to Manali with a stop over at Mohali in the coming long weekend.

Can someone please update on the latest road conditions.

Regards
Furhan
furhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2015, 16:14   #63
BHPian
 
luvtandon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: NEW DELHI
Posts: 91
Thanked: 58 Times
Default re: Delhi - Kullu - Manali - Delhi : Route Queries

We are planning a 7 nights – 8 days trip to Manali in the end of May. I am a regular visitor till Kiratpur Sahib as we take a bi-monthly trip to Naina Devi till Chamunda therefore am well versed about roads till Kiratpur Sahib. What I am not aware of is what lies ahead from Kiratpur Sahib till Manali i.e. what is the road condition in the hills. I’ve heard that it will take around 13-14 hours with 2 stop-overs (or even more as we have 3 kids around the age of 2 along) to reach Manali.

The vehicle of choice is a 2014 make Mahindra Scorpio. Any update on the route and things to do in and around Manali will be really appreciated.

Thanks and regards!
luvtandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2015, 01:53   #64
BHPian
 
Ushuaia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 162
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtandon View Post
We are planning a 7 nights – 8 days trip to Manali in the end of May. I am a regular visitor till Kiratpur Sahib as we take a bi-monthly trip to Naina Devi till Chamunda therefore am well versed about roads till Kiratpur Sahib. What I am not aware of is what lies ahead from Kiratpur Sahib till Manali i.e. what is the road condition in the hills. I’ve heard that it will take around 13-14 hours with 2 stop-overs (or even more as we have 3 kids around the age of 2 along) to reach Manali.

The vehicle of choice is a 2014 make Mahindra Scorpio. Any update on the route and things to do in and around Manali will be really appreciated.

Thanks and regards!
Assuming by your profile you are starting from delhi. The journey can be done in one go or breaking it in 2 parts. That's dependent on comfort level. If done in one go it will need tons of patience and and a very early start say 4 am at delhi border. This way when you hit kiratpur sahib it would be around 2 pm post kiratpur sahib the route is bad till barmana thats 75kms mostly truck traffic to and fro acc cement plant barmana. Else you can do it in 2 days. I usually break journey at Hptdc lake view somewhat midway. Chandigarh is possible but comes too early and doesnt make sense driving time wise onwards to manali. From hptdc lake view start early so that you cross mandi before the town wakes up. Post that you can pace your journey and stop right after aut for breakfast or continue onwards take left bank road to manali and stop somewhere near the river for brunch with this option kids eat very near to manali and less likely to throw up . That ways you should be in manali by 3 pm. Return you can do it in one go and reach delhi border by 9 pm. These are all assumptions based on avg 70 to 75 kmph driving and 2 to 3 stops per leg averaging at an hour.

Manali will be packed to the hilt as most of north india shifts bases. I would suggest spending a day in manali and then head out to tirthan valley or take manikaran route and stay a night in a resort nearby enroute. Himalayan on this route is pretty posh. If you head to tirthan route then there are lot of places to stay till about 10kms to jalori. Then you can do rewalsar also for cpl of days.

Last edited by Ushuaia : 29th March 2015 at 02:02.
Ushuaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2015, 02:34   #65
Distinguished - BHPian
 
a4anurag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 8,383
Thanked: 9,856 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtandon View Post
I’ve heard that it will take around 13-14 hours with 2 stop-overs (or even more as we have 3 kids around the age of 2 along) to reach Manali.

The vehicle of choice is a 2014 make Mahindra Scorpio.
Been just 2 days after my Wife and I were back from a 8 day trip consisting of Hyderabad-Delhi-Agra-Shimla-Manali-Delhi-Hyderabad.

Hyderabad-Delhi and Delhi-Hyderabad was done by air. Rest was by car (Tata Indigo).

If i can answer your query,

Delhi - Chandigarh took us 3 hours with no breaks. Excellent roads.

Chandigarh - Shimla took us 10 hours with 1 hour lunch break.

Shimla - Manali took us 8.5 hours with two 30 min breaks.

Manali - Chandigarh took us 13 hours. Utterly bad state of roads with heavy traffic (trucks specially). 1.5 hours break to stretch legs and rest with little time for food. Utterly bad is an understatement for the road conditions.

Your scorpio may be better overall as compared to the Indigo I had traveled in. Keep the ride stable and less wallovy to avoid sickness and tiredness.

Last edited by a4anurag : 29th March 2015 at 02:37.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2015, 19:19   #66
BHPian
 
shady_lawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 151
Thanked: 266 Times
Default re: Delhi - Kullu - Manali - Delhi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

Chandigarh - Shimla took us 10 hours with 1 hour lunch break.


Could you please explain a little further why it took you so long? I do Chandigarh-Shimla quite often and its never taken more than 6 hours (add +1 if you stop for food). I strongly recommend the Solan Bye-pass road, not only is it freshly laid, but the view is much better than heading up via Taradevi.
shady_lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2015, 22:45   #67
Distinguished - BHPian
 
a4anurag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 8,383
Thanked: 9,856 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady_lawyer View Post

Could you please explain a little further why it took you so long?
Not exactly sure but traffic and drivers talent did beat the journey time so long.

Since this is my first North Indian visit can't comment much.

One thing I'm sure of is, these road need something better and reliable. Not a Tata!
a4anurag is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2015, 23:30   #68
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Bhiwadi
Posts: 17
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

I did the same route this new year on bike along with my friend (both on separate bikes ).

In my opinion, you should split your onward journey into 2 days.
Take first day stoppage at Bilaspur. (Between chandigarh and kullu ).
Other option is to take first stop at Shimla. I think can be done. You just need a timely start from delhi (even 6:00am is ok).

Chandigarh to Shimla taking 10hrs is unusual. However, it is unpredictable since hilly routes have at times, problems of their own. So, cannot comment.
But it took us 5 hours which includes 1hr breakdown time of avenger.

Conclusion: Advise you to take a pot stop at Shimla or Bilaspur (or any feasible mid point of your choice).
You should enjoy the journey even on the route. Rushing to reach in a single day might prove exhaustive.
mnautss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2015, 00:10   #69
BHPian
 
Ushuaia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 162
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Not exactly sure but traffic and drivers talent did beat the journey time so long.

Since this is my first North Indian visit can't comment much.

One thing I'm sure of is, these road need something better and reliable. Not a Tata!
Anurag,

Thats the reason why i suggested luvtandon to take a break at lake view and then start early to beat the trucks. Road conditions, are really bad and wont get better anytime soon.
I am sure this journey of yours was done during peak hours with a start at 6 or 7 am. First you tackle trucks then mandi traffic then kullu. By the time you reach manali you are toast.

With small kids its better to break the journey midway and start fresh. I usually prefer starting at 6 pm and drive all night to reach manali at about 12 noon from Delhi. Since I cant stop midway due to my 2 dogs who travel with me.

Last edited by Ushuaia : 30th March 2015 at 00:12.
Ushuaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2015, 02:36   #70
BHPian
 
gauravdgr8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CG/CH
Posts: 470
Thanked: 360 Times
Default re: Delhi - Kullu - Manali - Delhi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtandon View Post
We are planning a 7 nights 8 days trip to Manali in the end of May.
There is another option. Start early from Delhi, reach chandigarh, head onwards the Shimla route. Just before reaching shimla, the road cuts for Manali. It's 240 kms from here. The road condition is good and lot lot better than the one ahead of kiratpur sahib.

Delhi - Chandigarh - 4 hours with breaks
Chandigarh - Shimla road to Manali cut off - 2 hours
Cut Off - Manali - via Darlaghat/Sundernagar - 7 hours with breaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

Chandigarh - Shimla took us 10 hours with 1 hour lunch break.
10 hours It's a max 2 hour drive. Which route did you take?
gauravdgr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2015, 23:59   #71
BHPian
 
luvtandon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: NEW DELHI
Posts: 91
Thanked: 58 Times
Default re: Delhi - Kullu - Manali - Delhi : Route Queries

Quote:
Ushuaia;3673704]Assuming by your profile you are starting from delhi. The journey can be done in one go or breaking it in 2 parts. That's dependent on comfort level. If done in one go it will need tons of patience and and a very early start say 4 am at delhi border.
I was thinking on the same lines i.e. an early start max by 3.30-4 am and to reach Manali on the same day. Would need a little bit of clarity in this regard.

Quote:
This way when you hit kiratpur sahib it would be around 2 pm
I usually start from Delhi by 6.30-7 in the morning and reach Kiratpur Sahib within 05.30-6 hrs with a half hour break.

Quote:
Manali will be packed to the hilt as most of north india shifts bases. I would suggest spending a day in manali and then head out to tirthan valley or take manikaran route and stay a night in a resort nearby enroute. Himalayan on this route is pretty posh. If you head to tirthan route then there are lot of places to stay till about 10kms to jalori. Then you can do rewalsar also for cpl of days.
We have already booked rooms in Hotel Daffodil, Manali for 7 nights, so will have to do to-fro with Manali as base camp. Therefore will prefer if you can suggest places to visit taking this into consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ushuaia View Post
With small kids its better to break the journey midway and start fresh. I usually prefer starting at 6 pm and drive all night to reach manali at about 12 noon from Delhi. Since I cant stop midway due to my 2 dogs who travel with me.
That means the distance is covered by you in 18 hrs, isn't it a bit on the higher side, but considering that you travel with your 2 dogs, maybe this is due to the breaks that you are bound to take.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mnautss View Post
I did the same route this new year on bike along with my friend (both on separate bikes ).

In my opinion, you should split your onward journey into 2 days.
Take first day stoppage at Bilaspur. (Between chandigarh and kullu ).
Other option is to take first stop at Shimla. I think can be done. You just need a timely start from delhi (even 6:00am is ok).

Conclusion: Advise you to take a pot stop at Shimla or Bilaspur (or any feasible mid point of your choice).
You should enjoy the journey even on the route. Rushing to reach in a single day might prove exhaustive.
I concur with you that it may be a little exhaustive, but then I am used to travelling 17-18 hrs in a day and as I have mentioned above that the Hotel is already booked, therefore will have to cover the distance on the same day itself.


Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
There is another option. Start early from Delhi, reach chandigarh, head onwards the Shimla route. Just before reaching shimla, the road cuts for Manali. It's 240 kms from here. The road condition is good and lot lot better than the one ahead of kiratpur sahib.

Delhi - Chandigarh - 4 hours with breaks
Chandigarh - Shimla road to Manali cut off - 2 hours
Cut Off - Manali - via Darlaghat/Sundernagar - 7 hours with breaks

10 hours It's a max 2 hour drive. Which route did you take?
Will prefer if someone can shower more light on which is the better route between the two,

Delhi-Manali via Kiratpur Sahib

or

Delhi-Manali via Shimla.

Thanks & regards !
luvtandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2015, 00:25   #72
BHPian
 
Ushuaia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 162
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtandon View Post
I was thinking on the same lines i.e. an early start max by 3.30-4 am and to reach Manali on the same day. Would need a little bit of clarity in this regard.



I usually start from Delhi by 6.30-7 in the morning and reach Kiratpur Sahib within 05.30-6 hrs with a half hour break.



We have already booked rooms in Hotel Daffodil, Manali for 7 nights, so will have to do to-fro with Manali as base camp. Therefore will prefer if you can suggest places to visit taking this into consideration.



That means the distance is covered by you in 18 hrs, isn't it a bit on the higher side, but considering that you travel with your 2 dogs, maybe this is due to the breaks that you are bound to take.
Till kiratpur sahib is not much of a problem. Post that is where the truck traffic picks up. And there is quite a climb and add to the mix streams of trucks pushing their luck it puts a spanner to your momentum. Then you have day traffic between bilaspur all the way to mandi. But yes if you dont have options then you need to stretch on. Once you cross mandi till kullu you are at ease. Also if you and your family are good with stretched drive and less stopover then you should be in manali by 6 or 6.30.

A day trip to manikaran, prashar lake and yeah in an around sights like hadimba temple, route to rohtang till somewhere drivable. Activities in solang valley naggar castle etc.

We do need to take breaks due to dogs and wifes bad back.

I dont think shimla route make much of a difference but you can give it a try

Last edited by Ushuaia : 31st March 2015 at 00:34.
Ushuaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2015, 02:52   #73
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Bhiwadi
Posts: 17
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtandon View Post
Will prefer if someone can shower more light on which is the better route between the two,

Delhi-Manali via Kiratpur Sahib

or

Delhi-Manali via Shimla.

Thanks & regards !
Going via Shimla will add up extra km to your trip for sure ( keeping in mind that you need to the trip in a single day)

But be advised that you will have to fight the truck traffic and rough patches on the other route.
mnautss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2015, 19:28   #74
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Bhiwadi
Posts: 17
Thanked: 3 Times
Default re: Delhi - Kullu - Manali - Delhi : Route Queries

Please see the attachment. It might help.

That is the route that I took while 'returning'.
The route between Swarghat and Baddi is in bad shape (especially for a bike-- Lots of rough patches and Truck traffic).
A car will handle it easily though.

I am not sure about Kiratpur sahib route.

Thanks. Hope it helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Delhi - Kullu - Manali - Delhi : Route Queries-untitled.png  

mnautss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2015, 21:34   #75
BHPian
 
luvtandon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: NEW DELHI
Posts: 91
Thanked: 58 Times
Thumbs down re: Delhi - Kullu - Manali - Delhi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnautss View Post
Please see the attachment. It might help.

That is the route that I took while 'returning'.
The route between Swarghat and Baddi is in bad shape (especially for a bike-- Lots of rough patches and Truck traffic).
A car will handle it easily though.

I am not sure about Kiratpur sahib route.

Thanks. Hope it helps.
Kiratpur Sahib to Swarghat is just 31 kms and the road upto Kiratpur Sahib is 4 lane thus taking around 5.30 - 6 hrs to reach there from Delhi including a half hour break. The hill portion which is around 244 kms also starts after crossing Kiratpur Sahib. Kindly advise keeping this in consideration.

Thanks & regards !!
luvtandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
pwd rest houses in shimla and kullu anusha_snh Route / Travel Queries 0 11th July 2010 02:40
How to reach Kullu from Jaipur deky Route / Travel Queries 17 4th May 2010 13:18
Delhi-Manali - on 14,15,16. Advice Required - Route from Ambala,Climate v&v Route / Travel Queries 6 10th August 2009 19:55


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:10.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks