Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 18th April 2017, 13:35   #106

Post Re: Delhi - Kullu - Manali - Delhi : Route Queries

Hi,
Went on a trip to Manali (from Gurgaon) last month with family. Took a self drive XUV from Myles.
Here is the route we followed.

Day-1: Started at 7:30 am ... Gurgaon - Delhi - Murthal - Karnal - Ambala - road towards Ludhiana - right at Shambhu Toll plaza - Roopnagar - Kiratpur - Swarghat - Bilaspur ... reached 5:40 pm (404 km)
Stayed over night at Bilaspur HPTDC Lake View.
Some narrow 2 lane roads after the Kurali toll, and some flyover construction also around here.
Also narrow roads through Roopnagar city, slow you down a bit. Highway construction after Roopnagar; some patches slow you down a bit.

Day-2: Started at 9:45 am ... Bilaspur - Sundernagar - Mandi - Kullu byepass - Manali ... reached at 4:30 pm (182 km)
Approx 30 km after Bilaspur, there is a lot of road construction gong on. They are widening the road (much similar to the Himalayan expressway). Did not slow us down too much, but there were patches of un-paved gravel roads (under construction).
Narrow 2 lane roads through the city in Sundarnagar.

As you can guess it was a leisure drive, stopping several times along the way
There were trucks on the way, but we did not get stuck at any point. Most of them signal you to pass when they see space ahead. No need to rush and it is an absolute pleasant drive all through.

The 2.8 km tunnel at Aut is also an experience.

Took the same route on the way back, but stayed over night at Swarghat HPTDC Hill Top.
Started at 10:45 am ... Manali - Kullu - ... - Swarghat ... reached at 7:00 pm (212 km)
Next day, started at 10:00 am from Swarghat ... reached Gurgaon at 5:10 pm (365 km)

Thanks,
Asif
asfsid is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2017, 15:06   #107
BHPian

Default Re: Delhi - Kullu - Manali - Delhi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by asfsid View Post
Hi,
Went on a trip to Manali (from Gurgaon) last month with family. Took a self drive XUV from Myles.
Here is the route we followed.

Day-1: Started at 7:30 am ... Gurgaon - Delhi - Murthal - Karnal - Ambala - road towards Ludhiana - right at Shambhu Toll plaza - Roopnagar - Kiratpur - Swarghat - Bilaspur ... reached 5:40 pm (404 km)
Stayed over night at Bilaspur HPTDC Lake View.
Hi, a question to @asfsid and all who are known to this circuit.

I am taking the same route on 13th June but have booked a hotel in SunderNagar instead of Bilaspur. I want to reach Sunder Nagar no later than 5 or 5:30 in the evening. As of now I am planning to leave by 5 AM from Gurgaon. Us a family of 4 with two kids so it won't be a straight dash to Sunder Nagar at the same time not very sedate too.

Let us say one stop at Murthal for breakfast, one stop somewhere after chandigarh for Lunch and probably a couple of bio breaks. Does a 5 AM to 5 PM schedule looks likely or do I start even earlier?

It is going to be the age old Ford Fiesta

Thank you in advance

EDIT: have friends at Sunder Nagar. They are reporting heavy showers with hailstorms in the region as of now

Last edited by New.Novice : 30th May 2017 at 15:09.
New.Novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2017, 15:27   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by New.Novice View Post
Hi, a question to @asfsid and all who are known to this circuit.

I am taking the same route on 13th June but have booked a hotel in SunderNagar instead of Bilaspur. I want to reach Sunder Nagar no later than 5 or 5:30 in the evening. As of now I am planning to leave by 5 AM from Gurgaon. Us a family of 4 with two kids so it won't be a straight dash to Sunder Nagar at the same time not very sedate too.

Let us say one stop at Murthal for breakfast, one stop somewhere after chandigarh for Lunch and probably a couple of bio breaks. Does a 5 AM to 5 PM schedule looks likely or do I start even earlier?

It is going to be the age old Ford Fiesta

Thank you in advance

EDIT: have friends at Sunder Nagar. They are reporting heavy showers with hailstorms in the region as of now
I came back just today morning from Manali. 5 AM to 5 PM schedule look very much doable, provided the breaks are well planned and quick, and weather gods relenting. The traffic nightmare should not be there till sundernagar, except for a few places where road widening work is going on. Hope for the best. Sundernagar to Manali, expect long traffic queues, as peak season is at its peak
Nav-i-gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2017, 15:29   #109

Sundarnagar is ~40 km from Bilaspur ... It took us around 1.5hr from Bilaspur to Sundarnagar. So should be doable if you start early from Gurgaon.

We found Murthal a bit early for breakfast . You would reach Murthal in ~1.5hr from Gurgaon. There are several restaurants all along the way. We stopped at Sagar Ratna after Karnal (approx 160 km from Gurgaon).

If you take the road towards Ludhiana, you will not enter Chandigarh.
asfsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2017, 15:37   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
I came back just today morning from Manali. 5 AM to 5 PM schedule look very much doable, provided the breaks are well planned and quick, and weather gods relenting. The traffic nightmare should not be there till sundernagar, except for a few places where road widening work is going on. Hope for the best. Sundernagar to Manali, expect long traffic queues, as peak season is at its peak
Thanks. Counting on that schedule. And yes, I know I may have not picked the best time to go but once kids grow up to be in schools, you are left with only this window to plan your vacations
Old 30th May 2017, 15:39   #111
BHPian

Quote:

We found Murthal a bit early for breakfast .

If you take the road towards Ludhiana, you will not enter Chandigarh.

, yes that is my guess too, I am just hoping that waking up early would make us hungry enough to dip into those dripping parathas . Or else, will skip and cruise ahead for a more suitable time

Would you mind sharing this route details you mentioned in your comment?

Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 15:43   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Counting on that schedule. And yes, I know I may have not picked the best time to go but once kids grow up to be in schools, you are left with only this window to plan your vacations
I know. Consider poor me, who loves driving and a teambhpian, I went to manali by volvo!

I have a 2.5 years old kid, and was advised by pretty much everyone to avoid driving myself. And hence, my long awaited dream to drive to rohtang pass (and eventually some day to Leh), still remain unfulfilled.
P.S. I found driving till rohtang pass quite easy (compared to some places I have driven to in Uttarakhand, where roads are much narrower and much steeper). The traffic (owing to line at check barrier for permit checking) was painfully bad though.
Nav-i-gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2017, 15:46   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
I know. Consider poor me, who loves driving and a teambhpian, I went to manali by volvo!

I have a 2.5 years old kid, and was advised by pretty much everyone to avoid driving myself. And hence, my long awaited dream to drive to rohtang pass (and eventually some day to Leh), still remain unfulfilled.
P.S. I found driving till rohtang pass quite easy (compared to some places I have driven to in Uttarakhand, where roads are much narrower and much steeper). The traffic (owing to line at check barrier for permit checking) was painfully bad though.
Being a BHPian I can understand your pain. You bring up a very important point though, and since you just came back no one better than you to answer.

1. Is rohtang pass open? and if it is, any snow left? (kids want it so bad)
2. Heard some vandalism by local taxi walas for outstation taxis/private cars in last 2-3 days, did you hear/see anything?
Old 30th May 2017, 15:59   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Being a BHPian I can understand your pain. You bring up a very important point though, and since you just came back no one better than you to answer.

1. Is rohtang pass open? and if it is, any snow left? (kids want it so bad)
2. Heard some vandalism by local taxi walas for outstation taxis/private cars in last 2-3 days, did you hear/see anything?
1. Yes, it is open and already very crowded. Local taxi operators are charging right from 8000 for an alto to upto 24000 for bigger SUVs. Snow is there, lots of it, but rapidly melting. Higher peaks still getting a bit of snowfall though, so not a worry for your kids. They will get plenty of snow to play in.

2. Neither saw, nor heard anything like that. Lots of outstation private vehicles were there on the road to rohtang pass. One advise though, do not try to bypass the line (which snakes for 3-4 kilometers from the barrier), local taxis can to this, private vehicles doing the same can get into not-so-friendly arguments (and may be vandalism/man-handling too).
Nav-i-gator is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2017, 16:03   #115

Quote:
, yes that is my guess too, I am just hoping that waking up early would make us hungry enough to dip into those dripping parathas . Or else, will skip and cruise ahead for a more suitable time

Would you mind sharing this route details you mentioned in your comment?

Thanks
Attached are the route details.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx 2017-03-Manali.xlsx (11.0 KB, 83 views)
asfsid is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2017, 16:14   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Attached are the route details.
Perfect, thank you
Old 9th June 2017, 11:01   #117
BHPian

Folks..one more query. What would be the best destination to stop over for a night on my way back from Manali? I think Bilaspur/Swarghat would be too early and Chandigarh would feel like..eh..push for another 4-5 hours and you will be home. Unfortunately I dont think there are any options between Swarghat and Chandigarh.

Does any one know of a place between Swarghat and Chandigarh for a family stay? Or I should eventually look for something in Chandigarh itself? If Chandigarh, which area would be nearest to my route?

Too many questions?
Old 16th June 2017, 16:23   #118
BHPian

Planning to drive down to Shimla towards the end of June, what is the road condition between Chandigarh and Shimla?
Anyone drove there recently, please share your experience..
DuHasstMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 18:09   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuHasstMich View Post
Planning to drive down to Shimla towards the end of June, what is the road condition between Chandigarh and Shimla?
In some stretches road widening is going on, especially last 20 Kms before Kalka (while coming from Shimla). I have put some pics in my travelogue (8597 Kms Drive - Exploring Himachal! Amritsar Khajjiar Dalhousie Dharamshala Manali - Chail).
Otherwise, the roads are in good condition.
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 18:17   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuHasstMich View Post
Road work going on after Kalka. It ends only after the ghat after Dharampur. A section is really bad after Dharampur, followed by a really nice section. Some work going on in Solan too. After Solan it is nice all the way till Shimla.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote