Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 26th September 2012, 23:55   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhavdalal

Can you please share the time taken for this travel so we can use it as a reference
The total time taken was around 54 hours, day time driving only, detailed trip log will be coming soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajitsingh208
Yeah, Please share your experience here, I am planning to do the same route in December, So where did you get this permit made?
Was it valid for Gujarat & Maharashtra?
Being a govt employee, i obtained it from the department where i work, my point was there was no checking anywhere.
rajeshchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2012, 01:36   #62
BHPian

Default Delhi to Kanyakumari with my 6-year-old son

I was thinking of trip to kanyakumari with my 6 years old son. I know it may sound weird but i like to spend some time with him and simultaneously do a driving trip i always wanted to. I have December 22 till 31st, however i am not sure if this is going to be a good idea travelling with a kid. I am asking for suggestions from the fellow bhpians for the same.

1. Is it really a good idea?
2. What should be my ideal stops? route suggestions? i was thinking of hampi/mysore palace/kochi/kanyakumari/pondichery and mahabalipuram
3. Things to bring in to keep child busy?
4. Any stopovers which are of kids interest? e.g. Tiger safari/zoo/museum/waterparks etc?
5. What precautions to keep in mind?
6. Mus have things to prepare for the trip? medicine/phone numbers of service centers etc.

I want to make it a fun and learning trip but then again going to unknown place can be worrisome.

Last edited by abbey4u : 10th December 2012 at 01:59.
abbey4u is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2012, 03:27   #63
BHPian

Default re: Delhi to Kanyakumari with my 6-year-old son

Is it a good idea. You bet. Pretty soon, people will start sharing their ideas about what to carry, where to go, what to be cautious and but don't let them talk you out of this. I firmly believe that any trip you take is far better than any thing you buy. Ofcourse there will be things you would have to endure but in the end it all about the time, people and places.
Chanderjeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2012, 11:41   #64
BHPian

Default Re: Delhi to Kanyakumari with my 6-year-old son

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post
I was thinking of trip to kanyakumari with my 6 years old son. I know it may sound weird but i like to spend some time with him and simultaneously do a driving trip i always wanted to.

It certainly is a good idea. It brings back memories of the trips I made with my parents. My father drove us to a lot of places but I was just a 5 yr old then and couldn't really appreciate and remember most of it. Those trips would've been more memorable if they were done when I was 8+ or older.

A 6 year old will not have the patience to take in 2,700 km or 7 days of being in a confined space for prolonged durations. You may want to consider inviting another adult and 2 more kids, or a shorter trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanderjeet View Post
I firmly believe that any trip you take is far better than any thing you buy.
I agree. Quality time will mean a lot more than gifting gadgets to the kid.
vinu_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2012, 12:47   #65
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Delhi to Kanyakumari with my 6-year-old son

Quote:
There is no problem with the idea if you have time on your hands

Do the road trip if your son is really keen on it and is prepared to do long distances in a car and a 6 year old can change his mind very quickly!If you market the drive well enough it might work!,else its going to be a dampener.

Quote:
2. What should be my ideal stops? route suggestions? i was thinking of hampi/mysore palace/kochi/kanyakumari/pondichery and mahabalipuram

December 22 till 31st
You definitely cannot be doing hampi,mysore,kochi,pondy,mahabalipuram etc in just 9days.Delhi-Kanyakumari even for the best of the lot is a 4 full day drive one way(Del-UDP,UDP-Satara,Satara-Salem,Salem-KK),and you just have hardly 10days with you.

Packing in too many things would be stressful for you and the child-change of surroundings-change of food-irregular sleep-daily routine disruptions etc(kids are routine monsters!),instead IMHO concentrate on one place and make the most of it.And I am not entirely convinced that the objective of spending time with your child inside a moving car with you driving and concentrating is going to let you achieve that objective!Either do it as a trip to Kanyakumari or do a short trip to some place closer to home which involves lesser drive times-this would help you achieve your objective. (maybe a Shimla or a Jaipur or even an Udaipur).Just my two cents.

Quote:
3. Things to bring in to keep child busy?
The best way would be to get a child to keep noting down all the waypoints,write down the distance between places,times of departure and arrival at places etc.But since we are talking of a 6yr old who has just been initiated into the world of words and letters and numbers-I am not convinced this would happen.Instead a movies on the lcd or laptop might be able to hold his interest over periods of time

Also nothing to worry on the aspect of going to a new place can be worrisome-All the places enroute and the destination are very tourist friendly places with some lovely people,so there is no reason to worry on that part

Quote:
4. Any stopovers which are of kids interest? e.g. Tiger safari/zoo/museum/waterparks etc?
No time for any of these

The ideal schedule for you would be

Dec 21st afternoon/evening: Delhi-Jaipur(6hrs)
Dec 22nd:Jaipur-Udaipur(7hrs)
Dec 23rd:Udaipur-Mumbai (12hrs)
Dec 24th:BOM-BLR (14hrs)
Dec 25th:BLR-Kanyakumari(10hrs-11)
Dec 26th:Kanyakumari-Suchindrum-Padmanabhapuram Palace-Kanyakumari
Dec 27th:KK-BLR(10-11hrs)
Dec 28th:BLR-Pune(10-12hrs)
Dec 29th:Pune-Ahmedabad(14hrs)
Dec 30th:AMD-Jaipur(12hrs)
Dec 31:Jaipur-Delhi(6hrs)

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 10th December 2012 at 12:50.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2014, 02:18   #66
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Delhi to KanyaKumari

Hi All - I'm planning a Delhi - KanyaKumari - Delhi on my Bullet and have 9 days to do the same

Max 2 to 3 riders ( all hard core )

Bandwidth of only 9 days in march 2014

Capacity of riding 16 to 18 hours a day or more too

Just need the route
harishnayak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2014, 08:26   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
Hi All - I'm planning a Delhi - KanyaKumari - Delhi on my Bullet and have 9 days to do the same

Max 2 to 3 riders ( all hard core )

Bandwidth of only 9 days in march 2014

Capacity of riding 16 to 18 hours a day or more too

Just need the route
Stick to the West India route:
Delhi-Jaipur-Kishangarh-Bhilwara-Chittorgarh-Udaipur-Shamlaji-Modasa-Godhra-Halol-Baroda-Ankleswar-Surat-Vapi-Ghodbunder-Thane-New Bombay-Panvel-Khopoli-Pune-Satara-Kolhapur-Belgaum-Hubli-Chitradurga-Tumkur-Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Salem-Karur-Dindigul-Madurai-Tirunelveli-KK

In case you are very particular about sticking to the Central India route, then:

Delhi-Agra-Gwalior-Datia-Jhansi-Babina-Lalitpur-Sagar-Laknadon-Seoni-Nagpur-Adilabad-Hyderabad-Kurnool-Anantapur-Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Salem-Karur-Dindigul-Madurai-Tirunelveli-KK

The Central India route has too many bad road sections & limited facilities.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2014, 17:36   #68
BHPian

Reviving this thread after almost two years. I couldn't make it last time because of numerous other things. This time around i am making it a 15 night affair. The itinerary i came is is as following.

Day 1 Delhi Chittorgarh
Day 2 Chittorgarh Vadodra
Day 3 Vadodra Pune
Day4 Pune Goa
day5 Goa Goa
day6 Goa Shimoga
day7 Shimoga Chikmaglur
day8 Chikmaglur ooty
day9 Ooty ooty
day10 Ooty kanyakumari
day11 kanyakumari Madurai
day12 Madurai bangalore
day13 Bangalore hampi
day14 Hampi Pune
day15 Pune Ahmedabad
day16 Ahmedabad Delhi

Need input about route particularly from day6 onwards and their conditions. I was also looking to visit coorg but it seems both coorg , chikmagalur and ooty doesn't fall in the same line, so skipping that. Any places to visit enroute my itinerary which i am missing and is a must do?
Old 18th July 2014, 17:45   #69
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Need input about route particularly from day6 onwards and their conditions. I was also looking to visit coorg but it seems both coorg , chikmagalur and ooty doesn't fall in the same line, so skipping that. Any places to visit enroute my itinerary which i am missing and is a must do?

Its perfect for a drive. But where is the time to stay at a place and enjoy it? Thats the big flaw. Try to knock out some guys from the list and enjoy 2-3 nights at a couple of places.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2014, 20:41   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Day 2 Chittorgarh Vadodra
Day 3 Vadodra Pune
You could drive via Indore which would save about 100 km and additionally avoid driving through Bombay

I agree with ampere here, there is not much time to see the places. You'd be for the most part just driving. Ooty-Kanyakumari would be a 8-10 hr drive, Madurai-Bangalore is 7-8 hrs, Bangalore-Hampi is 6 hrs, Hampi-Pune would be about 7-8 hrs. I don't think you'd have much time to spend at these points at all.

What do you want to see? And when will you be doing this drive?
narayans80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2014, 22:35   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
You could drive via Indore which would save about 100 km and additionally avoid driving through Bombay

I agree with ampere here, there is not much time to see the places. You'd be for the most part just driving. Ooty-Kanyakumari would be a 8-10 hr drive, Madurai-Bangalore is 7-8 hrs, Bangalore-Hampi is 6 hrs, Hampi-Pune would be about 7-8 hrs. I don't think you'd have much time to spend at these points at all.

What do you want to see? And when will you be doing this drive?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Its perfect for a drive. But where is the time to stay at a place and enjoy it? Thats the big flaw. Try to knock out some guys from the list and enjoy 2-3 nights at a couple of places.
I agree, i am rushing in and mostly driving. I plan to use these places as overnight stopovers and not really looking to do any local sightseeing. Hampi was not on orginal plan this time, but to have an overnight break somewhere between bangalore and pune, i thought why not take a diversion and pass by hampi with overnight stay there.

How is indore route condition? Do you have any update? I thought NH8 would be faster?
Old 18th July 2014, 22:52   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

How is indore route condition? Do you have any update? I thought NH8 would be faster?
NH8 route is the fastest route to Goa.
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2014, 12:00   #73

Default Delhi to Kanyakumari

We are planing a trip from Delhi to Kanyakumari .
Have read various threads on the subject, but my confusion still remains about two major roads

1. Is the Delhi-Agra-Jhansi-Gwalior route better than the GQ of Delhi-Jaipur-Udaipur-Vadodra-Surat -Mumbai. Many threads say so , whereas I would have thought that the GQ is faster

2. For Mumbai-Kanyakumari, isn't it better to take the NH-4 till Bangalore and then further to Kanyakumari, whereas many people have talked about the Mumbai-Nagpur-Hyd-Bangalore route

Confused!
Pottermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2014, 13:51   #74

To answer the first part the GQ route via Jaipur Udaipur to Mumbai is better as it is 4 lanes all the way some places 6 lanes. Also it is better maintained. The traffic is heavier but more rest stops of all qualities are available. Agra Jhansi etc is also good except about 200 Kms short of Indore to Indore. After which the road improves. All depends on what is the object of the travel? If you want to do sight seeing both routes have ample places to visit. If idea is to get to destination in quickest time then Delhi NH8 Mumbai is faster.
The second part is no contest. Mumbai BLR is a wonderful road of Approx 1000 Kms. If you push hard can be done in a day. The Mumbai Nagpur HYD BLR is bad patches in places and any case you add about 600km distance to get to BLR.
All depends on what is your intention? Get to Kanyakumari fastest or a slow easy going drive through India in its infinite varieties.
If you mention the car planned, why do you want to do the trip, how many drivers, time constraints then a feasible program can be chalked out.
Hope I have been able to throw some light on the situation.
Amukherjea is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2014, 15:34   #75
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Delhi to Kanyakumari

North South corridor has quite some under construction and bad sections better done during the day and you might not always have high speed roads! Moreover there are a lot less big towns on the way where you can get very good stays, as opposed to GQ. The advantage is the route is shorter.

There are few variants of the GQ too like branching of at Chittogarh taking Neemuch-Nimbahera-Indore-Dhule-Nagar and joining NH4 at Pune.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote