Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2011, 16:10   #61
akp
BHPian
 
akp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 315
Thanked: 151 Times
Default Re: Trip to Kalpa-Chitkul-Sarahan in June 2010: help with itinerary

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Need help in figuring out what all I can do in Chitkul for the 2 days I'm there.
Don't have a set plan. Explore the village, talk to the villagers. Explore the surroundings - you can walk down to the Check post that is about 3km ahead, cross the river, explore the other side, or climb up the hills. Just make sure you are out of the apparent comfort of your hotel room early.
akp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2011, 16:21   #62
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,407
Thanked: 860 Times
Default Re: Trip to Kalpa-Chitkul-Sarahan in June 2010: help with itinerary

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
You can do exactly the opposite of what you're doing now, i.e., just sit back, unwind & relax; without a thought crossing your mind regarding what's to be done!
You again log! ...and ain't I glad

Actually all I wanted to know was if there was a particular spot that I shouldn't miss. I thought its better to ask than being asked (when posting my travelogue, if at all I do) that "didn't you go to that particular spot in Chitkul, it offers some great views of the mountains dude" etc., you know what I mean.

I guess I'll just wander around and hope not to reach China.

Thanks for the other tips, I'll carry enough cash for sure. But isn't there any petrol pump in Narkanda? And should I go via Shimla or the Chail route? (I read it on some other forum that this route is more scenic)

I plan on going via the fastest route as I'd only have the afternoon to visit the Hatu peak as next day I'd take off for Chitkul.

@akp: Thanks for the tip man. But this getting out the hotel room early is easier said than done for me. lol. But I guess I'll make an exception this time and capture the sunrise all the days hopefully.

Last edited by fine69 : 11th April 2011 at 16:23.
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2011, 16:36   #63
akp
BHPian
 
akp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 315
Thanked: 151 Times
Default Re: Trip to Kalpa-Chitkul-Sarahan in June 2010: help with itinerary

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
But isn't there any petrol pump in Narkanda?
There is a petrol pump in Narkanda, but you can also fill further down, near Rampur. There is a fairly big HP pump on the right side (as you go) of the highway that you can not miss.

Stretches on the Hatu route are very steep and narrow. That of course adds to the thrill of driving there. But since you are planning to go there on the first afternoon, after driving all the way from Delhi, make sure you are fresh enough - take a half-hour break at least before setting out to Hatu.

All the best for your trip.

You can check out this link for one of the trekking options in Chitkul.
akp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2011, 16:51   #64
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,407
Thanked: 860 Times
Default Re: Trip to Kalpa-Chitkul-Sarahan in June 2010: help with itinerary

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp View Post
There is a petrol pump in Narkanda, but you can also fill further down, near Rampur. There is a fairly big HP pump on the right side (as you go) of the highway that you can not miss.
What route should I be taking? NH-22 all the way or any other (faster) alternative?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp View Post
Stretches on the Hatu route are very steep and narrow. That of course adds to the thrill of driving there. But since you are planning to go there on the first afternoon, after driving all the way from Delhi, make sure you are fresh enough - take a half-hour break at least before setting out to Hatu.
Can I walk up to the peak instead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp View Post
You can check out this link for one of the trekking options in Chitkul.
Thanks, checking the link right now.
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2011, 16:51   #65
BHPian
 
lordofgondor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: UP 16
Posts: 936
Thanked: 155 Times
Default Re: Trip to Kalpa-Chitkul-Sarahan in June 2010: help with itinerary

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
You again log! ...and ain't I glad

Actually all I wanted to know was if there was a particular spot that I shouldn't miss. I thought its better to ask than being asked (when posting my travelogue, if at all I do) that "didn't you go to that particular spot in Chitkul, it offers some great views of the mountains dude" etc., you know what I mean.

I guess I'll just wander around and hope not to reach China.

Thanks for the other tips, I'll carry enough cash for sure. But isn't there any petrol pump in Narkanda? And should I go via Shimla or the Chail route? (I read it on some other forum that this route is more scenic)

I plan on going via the fastest route as I'd only have the afternoon to visit the Hatu peak as next day I'd take off for Chitkul.
You know me buddy, whisper mountains and I'd jump in!

Regarding the petrol pump, my bad, there's indeed an Indian Oil outlet in Narkanda. The route via Chail should definitely have better scenery, just hope that you don't find any traffic mess at Kufri. Also I think this route will be longer than the one via Sanjauli Bypass (Shimla). Frankly, I think the Shimla route may be faster as its shorter and you'd avoid passing through Chail & Kufri (passing through these may delay you). But the difference shouldn't be much IMO. If you leave Delhi by 5 AM, you should be in Narkanda by 2-3 PM. Ample time to visit the Hatu peak I'd say.

From the various TLs of Chitkul (and research I did), I don't think there's any particular kinda "view point" in there. I guess you'll be showing us new views of the heavenly place in your TL (don't worry, the beauty of the place will wake up the writer in you from its slumber). And the ITBP folks will make sure that you don't "wander" into China!

EDIT: Maybe we'll cross roads as I am also planning a trip to the mountains over the 22nd April weekend (for four days). Though not able to finalize on a destination, either in HP or UK.

Last edited by lordofgondor : 11th April 2011 at 16:57.
lordofgondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2011, 17:06   #66
akp
BHPian
 
akp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 315
Thanked: 151 Times
Default Re: Trip to Kalpa-Chitkul-Sarahan in June 2010: help with itinerary

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
What route should I be taking? NH-22 all the way or any other (faster) alternative?
Kufri onward, there is almost no other option - you just go along nh22. For crossing Simla, one can take a bypass, or go right through Simla or take the Chail route. Chail route has low traffic, but the Chail-Kufri section is not so good in terms of road surface, and slows you down (this was last June, things may have changed). Even Simla bypass does not save you from the mess that is Kufri and beyond. You can ask wandernomad if he can suggest an alternative that bypasses Kufri altogether, without making the route too long.


Quote:
Can I walk up to the peak instead?
Yes, you can. I think many people do.
akp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2011, 17:24   #67
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,407
Thanked: 860 Times
Default Re: Trip to Kalpa-Chitkul-Sarahan in June 2010: help with itinerary

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
The route via Chail should definitely have better scenery, just hope that you don't find any traffic mess at Kufri. Also I think this route will be longer than the one via Sanjauli Bypass (Shimla). Frankly, I think the Shimla route may be faster as its shorter and you'd avoid passing through Chail & Kufri (passing through these may delay you).
Delhi to Narkanda via Shimla - 416 km
Delhi to Narkanda via Chail - 425 km

There's another route that by-passes Kufri via Yashwant Nagar (as per google maps) but don't know if that'd be a wise choice. As of now I'm thinking of sticking to the Shimla route only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
EDIT: Maybe we'll cross roads as I am also planning a trip to the mountains over the 22nd April weekend (for four days). Though not able to finalize on a destination, either in HP or UK.
That'd be cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp View Post
Kufri onward, there is almost no other option - you just go along nh22. For crossing Simla, one can take a bypass, or go right through Simla or take the Chail route. Chail route has low traffic, but the Chail-Kufri section is not so good in terms of road surface, and slows you down (this was last June, things may have changed). Even Simla bypass does not save you from the mess that is Kufri and beyond. You can ask wandernomad if he can suggest an alternative that bypasses Kufri altogether, without making the route too long.


Yes, you can. I think many people do.
Thanks, shall PM wandernomad to see if there's an alternate route.
And I'd want to walk up to Hatu peak, any idea how long it'd take me on foot from Harsh Villa to the top of the peak. Also, I hope it'd be safe for us (me and wife) to return back after the sun has set.
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2011, 17:35   #68
BHPian
 
lordofgondor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: UP 16
Posts: 936
Thanked: 155 Times
Default Re: Trip to Kalpa-Chitkul-Sarahan in June 2010: help with itinerary

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
What route should I be taking? NH-22 all the way or any other (faster) alternative?
When I visited Narkanda last year in August (mainly to pluck farm fresh apples at Thanedar ), I was told by coupla locals (asked a few Km before Shimla) that there's a new bypass, albeit a tad longer, which connects back to NH-22 at Theog. I didn't check it out that time as it was raining cats & dogs. Maybe you can inquire & check it out.

Last edited by lordofgondor : 11th April 2011 at 17:38. Reason: Spelling mistake
lordofgondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2011, 17:42   #69
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,407
Thanked: 860 Times
Default Re: Trip to Kalpa-Chitkul-Sarahan in June 2010: help with itinerary

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
I was told by coupla locals (asked a few Km before Shimla) that there's a new bypass, albeit a tad longer, which connects back to NH-22 at Theog.
I think its the one I mentioned. One would have to get off NH-22 at Kamarhatti/Kumarhatti and get on SH-2 and then SH-6 (via Yashwant Nagar) which joins NH-22 at Premghat (a little ahead of Theog)
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2011, 18:28   #70
akp
BHPian
 
akp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 315
Thanked: 151 Times
Default Re: Trip to Kalpa-Chitkul-Sarahan in June 2010: help with itinerary

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Thanks, shall PM wandernomad to see if there's an alternate route.
Sorry I made a typo - it is wanderernomad, NOT wandernomad.
akp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2011, 19:15   #71
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,407
Thanked: 860 Times
Default Re: Trip to Kalpa-Chitkul-Sarahan in June 2010: help with itinerary

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp View Post
Sorry I made a typo - it is wanderernomad, NOT wandernomad.
Yeah, wanderernomad, my namesake too!
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2011, 10:42   #72
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,407
Thanked: 860 Times
Default Re: Trip to Kalpa-Chitkul-Sarahan in June 2010: help with itinerary

Just got an update from someone on BCMT that all hotels in Chitkul are closed as of now. Can anybody confirm this?
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2011, 21:40   #73
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,407
Thanked: 860 Times
Default Re: Trip to Kalpa-Chitkul-Sarahan in June 2010: help with itinerary

Update: I've cancelled my stay at Narkanda and as of now planning to head directly to Sarahan/Rampur in order to spend more time in around Sangla/Chitkul. Tentatively booked the Bhimkali Temple guesthouse at Sarahan for 22nd night.
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2011, 22:37   #74
akp
BHPian
 
akp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 315
Thanked: 151 Times
Default Re: Trip to Kalpa-Chitkul-Sarahan in June 2010: help with itinerary

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Just got an update from someone on BCMT that all hotels in Chitkul are closed as of now. Can anybody confirm this?
Have you found out the latest situation there? The phone number of the manager Mr Sandip Karar of the hotel we stayed in is somewhere in my Chitkul thread (Kalpa-Chitkul-Sarahan, June 2010) - you can try to get the latest info from him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Update: I've cancelled my stay at Narkanda and as of now planning to head directly to Sarahan/Rampur in order to spend more time in around Sangla/Chitkul. Tentatively booked the Bhimkali Temple guesthouse at Sarahan for 22nd night.
Sarahan is a beautiful place, though very different in character from Chitkul or Sangla. If you have enough time, from Narkanda, instead of proceeding on NH22 (taking the almost U-turn on your left just after Hatu), you can go straight and drive through Thanedar - you will meet NH22 a little before Rampur - it is a beautiful drive, with sparse traffic, and apple trees on both sides. There won't be any apples though at this time of the year.
akp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 13:53   #75
BHPian
 
lordofgondor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: UP 16
Posts: 936
Thanked: 155 Times
Default Re: Trip to Kalpa-Chitkul-Sarahan in June 2010: help with itinerary

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Update: I've cancelled my stay at Narkanda and as of now planning to head directly to Sarahan/Rampur in order to spend more time in around Sangla/Chitkul. Tentatively booked the Bhimkali Temple guesthouse at Sarahan for 22nd night.
I think it's a good decision. You should be able to have nice views of the Shrikhand peak from Sarahan. The restaurant at the HPTDC hotel, The Shrikhand, dishes out some yummy food. I had the best tomato soup of my life (till now) in there. Also the uphill drive after Jeori is a good one.

Just a week to go; time when the excitement starts peaking up, eh!
lordofgondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sarahan or Chitkul or Sangla ravichopra Route / Travel Queries 29 14th July 2014 15:35
Kalpa-Chitkul-Sarahan, June 2010 akp Travelogues 56 13th July 2010 20:20
Travelogue: Kalpa-Sangla-Sarahan-Rohtang lordofgondor Travelogues 30 28th November 2008 19:11
Query for Delhi-Kalpa-Chitkul road conditions lordofgondor Route / Travel Queries 13 19th June 2008 15:30


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:53.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks