Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 18th April 2016, 14:53   #31
Default Re: Mumbai - Hassan - Coorg : Route Queries

Originally Posted by harishv View Post
Hi. I am driving from Mumbai to Chikmagalur in May. Confirming best route. It is Harihar - Honnali - Shimoga - Chikmaglur. Please assist.
Harishv, I just did this route last month. Yes, the best route is what you have mentioned. From Shimoga, there are 2 options. There is a road from Tarikere through a ghat section and reserve forest that goes to Chikmaglur. Or alternatively you can take the NH to Kadur and take the road to Chikmaglur from Kadur. Both roads are pretty good except for a short section immediately after Tarikere which is in a bad state. The Tarikere-Chikmaglur road is shorter and much more scenic, but it is also narrower and has a more prominent ghat section. Avoid this road at night as it is quite lonely.

The only bad stretch on the drive is Pune to Kolhapur, which is still riddled with diversions for road work. This is also the stretch where you will encounter a lot of tractors, 3 wheelers, 2 wheelers, etc which slows down traffic every now and then.
reverse_gear is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote