Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 10th December 2012, 14:39   #136
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Route query to Wayanad

Quote:
Originally Posted by polopm View Post
We are staying at Green Gates, Kalpetta.
Let me know please !
Its bang on NH212 about 3-4 km before Kalpetta. So I think its best to take Mysore-Nanjangud-Gundlupet route.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2012, 14:52   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Its bang on NH212 about 3-4 km before Kalpetta. So I think its best to take Mysore-Nanjangud-Gundlupet route.
That settles one part of the question and I will do that.
Now could you tell me what can be covered in the 3 whole days please
polopm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2012, 15:29   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes - Gundlupet- Batheri - Kalpetta would be the best route. And hopefully the Kalpetta - Batheri would be better than what it is now (an absolute mess), I heard reports from a few relatives that they have started some repair works in this sector.

Green Gates is not 3-4 kms before Kalpetta, it's just at the beginning of the town. Look for a Reliance gas station on the right just before the town, and take the next right turn that comes up at the top of that slope. You'll find the hotel in about 100 meters from that junction. (I think there is a board mentioning the name of the hotel at the junction itself)
kala is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2012, 15:43   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
(I think there is a board mentioning the name of the hotel at the junction itself)
Yes there indeed is a board mentioning Green Gates,in fact you can see the hotel from the NH212 itself iirc
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2012, 14:05   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Coming to the other practical issues, I intend to start with full tanks from Chennai. I heard that there is a BP Ghar Dhaba near Hosur (??) - so there should be an A2B there. Replenishment for man and machine can be done there. I think in KA diesel is costly and so I will avoid it as much as possible. Now what about fuel pumps in Wayanad district. Do we have any specific pumps which can be trusted and also any specific ones which can be avoided ?

Going thru tripadvisor and other sites, it looks like that a day sojourn to nearby places will be atleast 100KM. So need to factor in that as well.
polopm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2012, 18:34   #141
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Now what about fuel pumps in Wayanad district. Do we have any specific pumps which can be trusted and also any specific ones which can be avoided ?
You can fill at A2B where this is a BP also. But once done, beyond Gundlupet, I dont know much of bunks is Kerala.
Should check with others.

Quote:
Going thru tripadvisor and other sites, it looks like that a day sojourn to nearby places will be atleast 100KM.
So need to factor in that as well.
With Kalpetta as base, it depends on where you want to cover. May be you can spread to 2 days.
Yes it can be lots of distance. 50-60km for sure.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2012, 19:28   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now what about fuel pumps in Wayanad district. Do we have any specific pumps which can be trusted and also any specific ones which can be avoided ?
Pumps in Wayanad are generally trustworthy. However, I regularly fill in from this Indian Oil pump, which is the first pump on your left side, after crossing Bathery town. No credit cards are accepted there. If you want a pump accepting credit card, there is this BP pump, just before the Indian Oil pump, which is also the first pump on your right side, just after crossing bathery.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2012, 21:46   #143
BHPian

Guys,

We are going to Wayanad for New Year and have shortlisted the below route. Please guide me whether this route is good for travel

First one is 305 KMS, goes through Nagarhole forest.

https://maps.google.co.in/maps?f=d&s...01,2.90863&z=9

Second one is 292 KMS, goes through Bandipur forest
https://maps.google.co.in/maps?f=q&s...,0.589828&z=11

We are staying at a resort called Coffee Aroma.

Any guidance on road condition is appreciated.

Last edited by sbala : 18th December 2012 at 21:48. Reason: updated maps link
sbala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2012, 22:12   #144
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala View Post
Take the road via Gundlupet/Bathery. Thats much faster since you are close to Kalpetta.
If you want to enjoy green roads you can also take Kanakpura road. (Kanakpura-Chamarajanagar-Gundlupet)
Old 18th December 2012, 22:14   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Take the road via Gundlupet/Bathery. Thats much faster since you are close to Kalpetta.
If you want to enjoy green roads you can also take Kanakpura road. (Kanakpura-Chamarajanagar-Gundlupet)
Thanks a lot Ampere... Do you know about Nagarhole road? Can we take Nagarhole road while going and while coming back - via Gundlupet? Is it worth a try to go through Nagarhole ?
Old 18th December 2012, 22:22   #146
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks a lot Ampere... Do you know about Nagarhole road? Can we take Nagarhole road while going and while coming back - via Gundlupet? Is it worth a try to go through Nagarhole ?
Dont know about the current conditions. Check with Kala. But mostly the forest road is typically not good.
Old 18th December 2012, 23:10   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

We are going to Wayanad for New Year and have shortlisted the below route. Please guide me whether this route is good for travel

First one is 305 KMS, goes through Nagarhole forest.

https://maps.google.co.in/maps?f=d&s...01,2.90863&z=9

Second one is 292 KMS, goes through Bandipur forest
https://maps.google.co.in/maps?f=q&s...,0.589828&z=11

Wayanad roads are not in the best of condition right now, so whichever route you take you are bound to encounter some stretches where the road isn't great.

The first route goes right through the Nagarahole sanctuary, so if you're interested in wild life sightings, that would be the ideal one.

The forest road through the WLS is decent, but don't expect it to be butter smooth. Also there are some rough stretches around Kutta that you need to drive slowly through.

Avoid the short-cut through Koyileri (The deviation to the left before reaching Mananthavady on the route you have marked). Instead go till Mananthavady town and take a left at the first junction as you enter the town (a near U turn) and a right turn immediately afterwards to go to Kalpetta via Nalaam Mile-Anjukunnu. As per Sandsun7 who travelled this way recently, that road is in much better condition, and may add only 2 or 3 kms to the distance. There are some small stretches of bad road as you near Kalpetta, but nothing to be concerned about.

On the way back you could perhaps take the Meppady-Gudalur-Mudumalai-Gundlupet route instead of the one via Bathery. (Your resort is quite close to Meppady anyway). NH212 between Kalpetta and Kerala border (the road via bathery) is in pretty bad shape and you also run the risk of getting stuck at the Sales tax checkpost at Muthanga where traffic jams are becoming increasingly common. Here again the forest road between Gudalur and Gundlupet is just average (and there are quite a few speed breakers), but chances for wildlife sightings is much better than on NH212. At Gundlupet you could take a right turn and come via Chamarajanagar - Kollegal - NH209 to avoid the terrible SH17 traffic between Mysore and Bangalore (which would probably be at its worst immediately after New year).
kala is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 08:24   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post

Wayanad roads are not in the best of condition right now, so whichever route you take you are bound to encounter some stretches where the road isn't great.

The first route goes right through the Nagarahole sanctuary, so if you're interested in wild life sightings, that would be the ideal one.

The forest road through the WLS is decent, but don't expect it to be butter smooth. Also there are some rough stretches around Kutta that you need to drive slowly through.

Avoid the short-cut through Koyileri (The deviation to the left before reaching Mananthavady on the route you have marked). Instead go till Mananthavady town and take a left at the first junction as you enter the town (a near U turn) and a right turn immediately afterwards to go to Kalpetta via Nalaam Mile-Anjukunnu. As per Sandsun7 who travelled this way recently, that road is in much better condition, and may add only 2 or 3 kms to the distance. There are some small stretches of bad road as you near Kalpetta, but nothing to be concerned about.

On the way back you could perhaps take the Meppady-Gudalur-Mudumalai-Gundlupet route instead of the one via Bathery. (Your resort is quite close to Meppady anyway). NH212 between Kalpetta and Kerala border (the road via bathery) is in pretty bad shape and you also run the risk of getting stuck at the Sales tax checkpost at Muthanga where traffic jams are becoming increasingly common. Here again the forest road between Gudalur and Gundlupet is just average (and there are quite a few speed breakers), but chances for wildlife sightings is much better than on NH212. At Gundlupet you could take a right turn and come via Chamarajanagar - Kollegal - NH209 to avoid the terrible SH17 traffic between Mysore and Bangalore (which would probably be at its worst immediately after New year).
Thanks a bunch Kala for this detailed information. Appreciate it a lot. Will go as per suggestions and definitely will come back here to provide an update to other folks.
Old 19th December 2012, 21:27   #149
BHPian

I am heading to Wayanad finally!

Here is where I have booked my stay http://kudajadridrizzle.com/ did not find any posts about it on TBHP however good review on holiday iq http://www.holidayiq.com/Kudajadri-D...el-416854.html

I have two routes in mind one for onward and one for the return, need to make up mind on which to take when:

Bangalore -> Mysore -> Nanjangud -> Gundlupet -> Sulthan Bathery -> Kaniyambetta

Bangalore -> Mysore -> Hunsur -> Nagarhole National Park -> Kaniyambetta

Second one is the route posted by sbala and updated by kala.

Anything else to watch out for?

Last edited by ajitkumarlb : 19th December 2012 at 21:32.
ajitkumarlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 22:39   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkumarlb View Post
I am heading to Wayanad finally!

Here is where I have booked my stay http://kudajadridrizzle.com/ did not find any posts about it on TBHP however good review on holiday iq http://www.holidayiq.com/Kudajadri-D...el-416854.html

I have two routes in mind one for onward and one for the return, need to make up mind on which to take when:

Bangalore -> Mysore -> Nanjangud -> Gundlupet -> Sulthan Bathery -> Kaniyambetta

Bangalore -> Mysore -> Hunsur -> Nagarhole National Park -> Kaniyambetta

Second one is the route posted by sbala and updated by kala.

Anything else to watch out for?
Would suggest you to take the second route for the onward journey and the route via Bathery for return.

The reason why I'm suggesting this is because a morning drive on SH17 to Mysore is generally much better than an evening return. Evening drives on that sector can be crazy. Also the Nagarahole route does offer much more possibilities for wildlife sightings, and you'd be in a much better frame of mind for frequent stoppages at the start of a trip than at the end of one.

For the return journey the ideal route would be Kaniyambetta-Varadoor-Meenangady-Bathery-Gundlupet-Chamarajanagar and then NH209 to Bangalore. Will allow you to bypass Mysore and avoid the heavy traffic on SH17. But plan in advance for food breaks because options for food stops are pretty limited on the NH209 route.

P.S. Never knew of this resort/homestay in Kaniyambetta. That place happens to be my wife's hometown (or rather village), and I have a lot of fond memories of spending several fun weekends at their ancestral house there.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote