Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2013, 11:58   #166
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,063
Thanked: 3,368 Times
Default Re: Route query to Wayanad

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
We are traveling Bangalore-Wayanad-Guruvayoor later this month, with a halt in Wayanad. We are driving a regular sedan, no SUV.

Which route would you recommend?
....
BTW: Any reason why no one is recommending the route that Google Maps gives, viz. via Kanakpura Rd Hwy 209, Malavalli, Kollegal, Yelandur, Chamarajanagara, Gundlupet, Sultan Batheri?

And as regards the Wayanad-Guruvayoor stretch too, would appreciate some inputs.
Since your first stop is Wayanad, the best route would be via Gundlupet. Given that the Bangalore-Mysore Road SH17 is traffic prone most of the time, you can avoid by taking the NH209 via Kanakapura and reach Gundlupet via Chamarajnagar, enjoying less traffic and more scenic views. But food stop options are less on this route - you can try Vasu Hotel at Kanakapura town or Nijaguna Residency at Chamarajanagar.
You will find a lot of information for this route on the "All roads to Kerala" thread which is more active and hence you don't see recent posts about the route on this thread
For Wayanad-Guruvayoor you can go on Calicut route (bypass the Calciut town) which will have better roads but more traffic and hence better to time it well. Alternatively you can go via Gudalur-Nilambur (also depends where in Wayanad you plan to stop over) also but roads are narrow, lesser options for breaks and recent posts indicate bad roads in some sections.
*For example if you're staying at Vythiri, you may be better off going on Calicut route.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2013, 15:50   #167
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 50
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

Ooty-Gudalur is decent. But be aware buses ply quite fast. Just allow then to pass and you should be OK. Ooty Gudalur is about 50km. You should take a max 2 hours on the ghats with slow driving. Gudalur to Kalpetta (either via Gundlupet or via Meppadi) is about 70 odd km. Another 2 and half hours max. The Meppadi route goes via nice tea plantations. So a total of 120 km you should be done in 4-5 hours. (I may be over estimating the time. )
Hi Ampere, team

Could you please advise on the route from Wayanad to Madras?

I have considered the following options:
1. Sultan Bathery - Gundulpet - Chamrajnagar - Sathyamangalam - Bhavani - Salem - Ulundurpet - Tambaram - OMR Madras

2. Sultan Bathery - Chamrajnagar - Kanakpura - Bangalore - Krishnagiri - Vellore - Madras

Which route bus better? Also, if it is Option 1, how is the road between Chamrajnagar and Sathyamangalam - safety, wild life, pit stop options, gas stations? Any recent travelers on this stretch?

If it is better to go via Bangalore, will I be able to avoid driving in/ through Bangalore city to get to Hosur?

Planning to leave Wayanad around 9 a.m.

Please advise ASAP. Thanks very much again.

Cheers

Road Tripper
RoadTripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2013, 16:05   #168
Senior - BHPian
 
mpksuhas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: KA03/KL11
Posts: 2,457
Thanked: 2,634 Times
Default Re: Route query to Wayanad

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTripper View Post
Sultan Bathery - Chamrajnagar - Kanakpura - Bangalore - Krishnagiri - Vellore - Madras
Which route bus better? Also, if it is Option 1, how is the road between Chamrajnagar and Sathyamangalam - safety, wild life, pit stop options, gas stations? Any recent travelers on this stretch?

If it is better to go via Bangalore, will I be able to avoid driving in/ through Bangalore city to get to Hosur?
My suggestion would be to take option 2. Road in between Gundelpet - Chamrajnagar is broken at few places, apart from that this road is superb and is devoid of traffic.
However you will miss any descent pit stops till you near Bangalore. Once you near Bangalore you can take NICE road and take the Hosur road / Electronics city exit.

For a early morning drive the timings would be roughly this way -
Gundelpet - NICE road entry on NH 209 - 3.5 hours.
NICE road - Hosur road - 30 Mins.
Hosur road exit of NICE road - Krishnagiri - 2.5 hours ( You can stop over for lunch at Shoolagiri)
Krishnagiri - Chennai - 3 hours.
mpksuhas is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2013, 20:09   #169
Senior - BHPian
 
Fauji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,441
Thanked: 928 Times
Default Re: Route query to Wayanad

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTripper View Post
Hi Ampere, team

Could you please advise on the route from Wayanad to Madras?

I have considered the following options:
1. Sultan Bathery - Gundulpet - Chamrajnagar - Sathyamangalam - Bhavani - Salem - Ulundurpet - Tambaram - OMR Madras

2. Sultan Bathery - Chamrajnagar - Kanakpura - Bangalore - Krishnagiri - Vellore - Madras


Road Tripper
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
My suggestion would be to take option 2. Road in between Gundelpet - Chamrajnagar is broken at few places, apart from that this road is superb and is devoid of traffic.
However you will miss any descent pit stops till you near Bangalore.
Yes. I agree with Kushas. Go via Kanakapura - Gundlupet. Exit at Kanakapura road on NICE road which will be third exit. Raod is excellent except for few patches between Chamaraja nagar and gundlupet. No big deal.

Few restaurants which have come up on Kanakapura road now closer to Art of Living. Else, pack some stuff in Priya hotel in Kanakapura and eat on the way. The good place to eat beyond Kanakapura is in Chamarajanagar. Nijaguna residency has good food and good loo as well.
Fauji is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2013, 21:25   #170
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,786
Thanked: 7,454 Times
Default Re: Route query to Wayanad

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTripper View Post
1. Sultan Bathery - Gundulpet - Chamrajnagar - Sathyamangalam - Bhavani - Salem - Ulundurpet - Tambaram - OMR Madras

2. Sultan Bathery - Chamrajnagar - Kanakpura - Bangalore - Krishnagiri - Vellore - Madras

Which route bus better? Also, if it is Option 1, how is the road between Chamrajnagar and Sathyamangalam - safety, wild life, pit stop options, gas stations? Any recent travelers on this stretch?
I would take the option 1. The reason being you would be subjected to Hosur-Krishnagiri and Kanchi-Chennai sectors if you go via Bangalore.

Instead, if you are able it to make it to Sathyamangalam early morning from Waynad, its open road all the way till Chennai. Do note you have 26 hair pin bends in there for you to descend via Dimbam. Its easy road, but if a truck gets stuck you can get delayed. Also I hope you will be taking this road during day time. Gundlupet-Chamarajanagar is decent road and you can do 60-80 quite comfortably.

Sathy--Bhavani-Salem-Ulundurpet-Chennai. This I would prefer any day compared to the Bangalore sector. It helps even more, if you are in south Chennai.



Hope this helps.

Last edited by ampere : 16th December 2013 at 21:27.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2013, 21:48   #171
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 50
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

I would take the option 1. The reason being you would be subjected to Hosur-Krishnagiri and Kanchi-Chennai sectors if you go via Bangalore.

Instead, if you are able it to make it to Sathyamangalam early morning from Waynad, its open road all the way till Chennai. Do note you have 26 hair pin bends in there for you to descend via Dimbam. Its easy road, but if a truck gets stuck you can get delayed. Also I hope you will be taking this road during day time. Gundlupet-Chamarajanagar is decent road and you can do 60-80 quite comfortably.

Sathy--Bhavani-Salem-Ulundurpet-Chennai. This I would prefer any day compared to the Bangalore sector. It helps even more, if you are in south Chennai.

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much Empire, Suhas n fauji

Ampere was mentioning about 26 Hair pins, where would I encounter these? I have a fair amount of mountain/ ghat driving and this shouldn't be a huge concern

Guess I will stick to option 1 since I stay in South Madras and pit stops aren't a compelling reason. Just want to ensure the roads are safe and of reasonable quality.

Please advise, thanks again all of you.

Cheers

Road Tripper
RoadTripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2013, 21:53   #172
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,786
Thanked: 7,454 Times
Default Re: Route query to Wayanad

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTripper View Post
Ampere was mentioning about 26 Hair pins, where would I encounter these? I have a fair amount of mountain/ ghat driving and this shouldn't be a huge concern
After Chamarajanar when you drive towards Sathy, you hit Dimbam. Its there you get the hairpins. Its not difficult to cover at all. The only issue as I said earlier sometimes trucks get stuck and because of that you may get delayed. Possibility is quite low. But yes it does happen!

Location of Haiprins
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2013, 18:44   #173
BHPian
 
ankan.m.blr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 508
Thanked: 420 Times
Default Re: Route query to Wayanad

Hi All, any updates on the road condition between Hunsur and Thirunelly via Nagarhole? Is it drivable for a small hatch?
ankan.m.blr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2013, 08:09   #174
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 121
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: Route query to Wayanad

I am travelling to wayanad this weekend, and the google maps is recommending this route https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...mra=pd&t=m&z=8
Is this route not recommended to take? As most of the recommendations are through gundulpet, sultan bathery. I am driving a Beat. so just want to know the road conditions and other criteria like hotels. Mostly I will be starting early morning for the 1Pm checkin at the hotel. What time should i start. Please advice.
ramkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2013, 10:10   #175
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,786
Thanked: 7,454 Times
Default Re: Route query to Wayanad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkris View Post
Is this route not recommended to take? As most of the recommendations are through gundulpet, sultan bathery. I am driving a Beat. so just want to know the road conditions and other criteria like hotels. Mostly I will be starting early morning for the 1Pm checkin at the hotel. What time should i start. Please advice.
This is the route that should be taken. Carry some food with you in case you need a break early. You won't get decent place till Chamarajanagar.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2013, 10:34   #176
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 355
Thanked: 106 Times
Default Re: Route query to Wayanad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkris View Post
I am travelling to wayanad this weekend,
Is this route not recommended to take? As most of the recommendations are through gundulpet, sultan bathery. I am driving a Beat. so just want to know the road conditions and other criteria like hotels. Mostly I will be starting early morning for the 1Pm checkin at the hotel. What time should i start. Please advice.
This route is fine and is indeed reco'd in this forum (as against going via
Mysore) and does go via Gundlupete and Sultan Bathery. Beat would
not encounter any problems.

Eateries are an issue in this route. A 6PM start should be ideal. You
can have breakfast in Nijaguna Residency in Chamarajanagara (about
3hrs drive from Bangalore). The next option for breakfast is Gundlupete
(further 33kms, 40-45mins) which has a couple of decent hotels and
a CCD, but I guess it'd be little late for breakfast.

Prasad
prasad14 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2013, 14:25   #177
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 129
Thanked: 76 Times
Default Re: Route query to Wayanad

Hey me too leaving for Wayanad this weekend, Saturday morn. With a kid and therefore we are planning the regular mysore route as we can stop for breakfast in between with multiple options.
From then on, we most probably will take the kabini, nagerhole route as it is supposed to be slightly rough and more scenic. Did anyone travel this route recently. How is it ?
Also, with Tiger census starting, is the forest gates expected to close ?
subraiyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2013, 14:46   #178
BHPian
 
sandsun7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 699
Thanked: 510 Times
Default Re: Route query to Wayanad

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
Hey me too leaving for Wayanad this weekend, Saturday morn. With a kid and therefore we are planning the regular mysore route as we can stop for breakfast in between with multiple options.
From then on, we most probably will take the kabini, nagerhole route as it is supposed to be slightly rough and more scenic. Did anyone travel this route recently. How is it ?
Any particular reason that you are planing to take the HD Kote-Kabani- route? There is a stretch of around 14km which has been very bad since a couple of years. Another equally scenic option with better roads would be via Hunsur-Nagarhole-Kutta-Tholpetty.
sandsun7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2013, 16:25   #179
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Rajeevraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,960
Thanked: 6,407 Times
Default Re: Route query to Wayanad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Another equally scenic option with better roads would be via Hunsur-Nagarhole-Kutta-Tholpetty.
Hi sandsun, I need to make a day trip to Pulpally. Would the above route be advisable over the Gundlepet-Bathery-Pulpally?

Google maps had shown the HD Kote Route as the shortest option. But dropped that idea based on mpksuhas feedback. Wondering if the above route is worth considering
Rajeevraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2013, 19:02   #180
BHPian
 
sandsun7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 699
Thanked: 510 Times
Default Re: Route query to Wayanad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Hi sandsun, I need to make a day trip to Pulpally. Would the above route be advisable over the Gundlepet-Bathery-Pulpally?

Google maps had shown the HD Kote Route as the shortest option. But dropped that idea based on mpksuhas feedback. Wondering if the above route is worth considering
For Pulpally, I feel Gundlupet-S.Bathery route would be the best option. Atleast you will get assured good roads all the way till S.Bathery compared to the average roads inside nagarhole forest. Again if you take the Kenichira-nadavayal route from S. Bathery towards Pulpally, you get decent roads till Nadavayal. I am not sure about the condition of the road then on, but it is only around 10km.
sandsun7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wayanad resorts query anusha_snh Route / Travel Queries 46 25th January 2016 12:00
Bangalore - (Korome) Wayanad route query Jeep Route / Travel Queries 3 25th April 2011 13:09
Route to Wayanad & Ooty Peets Route / Travel Queries 5 5th April 2011 11:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:21.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks