Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2015, 14:26   #226
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 240
Thanked: 251 Times
Default Re: Route query to Wayanad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Taxi should be easily available, but I assume you will need to pay the return fare and hence will be expensive.

Other option (assuming he gets out by 9am) is to take taxi to Thrissur Railway Station and catch the Jan Shatabdi to Calicut (needs reservation). Catch is that the train is scheduled at 10.30 am and I think Kochi airport to Thrissur Station will take 1hr -1hr15 min. So it will be touch and go. From Calicut take a bus again to Kalpetta.

Easiest option is to take taxi to Thrissur and take a pvt bus (there will be one every 15-30 min) or a KSRTC bus to Calicut and then another bus to Kalpettta

Also see that there is a Air india Express flight from Kochi to Calicut at 10am (Was this the one that was cancelled?)
Thank you for the inputs. Re. Air India express, that flight is also not scheduled on the date of travel.

Just a question, if going to Kozhikode, then why not take the train or bus from Aluva itself rather than Thrissur?
reverse_gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2015, 14:28   #227
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Rajeevraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,960
Thanked: 6,417 Times
Default Re: Route query to Wayanad

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_gear View Post
Just a question, if going to Kozhikode, then why not take the train or bus from Aluva itself rather than Thrissur?
Yes, Aluva is better.When I initially posted I had thought that Jan Shatabdi does not have a stop at Aluva.
Rajeevraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2015, 20:43   #228
BHPian
 
sandsun7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 700
Thanked: 510 Times
Default Re: Route query to Wayanad

Be warned, do not dare to enter into Parasuram express without reserved seats. That train like most others on the route is heavily crowded most days. And for Janshatabdi, you need a reservation anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
From Kalpetta the distance to Pozhuthana should only be around 70 kms - so may be he could take a taxi. Buses generally take around 2 hours+ to Vythiri (the nearest point to deviate towards Pozhuthana)
I guess you meant Kozhikode to Pozhuthana, 70kms, Sir?
Plenty of KSRTC Town to town services are available from Kozhikode Moffusil bus stand towards Kalpetta/Vythiri. You may find the occasional volvo 'low floor' service too if lucky. You could take a rickshaw from railway station to 'new bus stand' (puthiya stand).
sandsun7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2015, 12:30   #229
BHPian
 
sunnyman_46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 41
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Route query to Wayanad

Dear Friends,

I'm starting from Trivandrum to Ooty later this month..which would be the best route to pick?

Also please suggest the best route to take from Ooty to Wayanad and later from Wayanad to Kochi....
sunnyman_46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2015, 19:00   #230
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 240
Thanked: 251 Times
Default Re: Route query to Wayanad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Plenty of KSRTC Town to town services are available from Kozhikode Moffusil bus stand towards Kalpetta/Vythiri. You may find the occasional volvo 'low floor' service too if lucky. You could take a rickshaw from railway station to 'new bus stand' (puthiya stand).
Is it easy to get a taxi from Kozhikode airport to Vythiri? Will they be readily available at the airport and what are the approx charges? A hatchback (Indica or similar) should do as there are only 2 passengers.
reverse_gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2015, 19:26   #231
Senior - BHPian
 
mpksuhas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: KA03/KL11
Posts: 2,457
Thanked: 2,634 Times
Default Re: Route query to Wayanad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyman_46 View Post
Dear Friends,

I'm starting from Trivandrum to Ooty later this month..which would be the best route to pick?

Also please suggest the best route to take from Ooty to Wayanad and later from Wayanad to Kochi....
I guess the best route would be Trivandrum - Cochin - Coimbatore byepass - Annur - Metupalayam - Ooty. This will help you avoiding Coimbatore city traffic.

For Ooty Wayanad you can take Ooty Gudalur - Batherry route. However, roads are patchy before Gudallur.

From Wayanad its best to take Vythiri - Calicut byepass - Kochin route. However, time it so as to avoid peak traffic.



Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_gear View Post
Is it easy to get a taxi from Kozhikode airport to Vythiri? Will they be readily available at the airport and what are the approx charges? A hatchback (Indica or similar) should do as there are only 2 passengers.
It is not difficult in getting taxis from airport, there is a prepaid counter and you can check the rates there. However, I don't recollect seeing Vythiri in the list hence not sure about the rates.

If you don't have much luggage the best option would be to get airport shuttle Volvo to city and then get on any KSRTC bus which goes to Vythiri/ Mananthavady/ Batherry / Mysore / Bangalore.

It will take around 1.5 hours to Calicut from airport and another 1 hour 45 mins to Vythiri from there.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2015, 19:48   #232
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Rajeevraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,960
Thanked: 6,417 Times
Default Re: Route query to Wayanad

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_gear View Post
Is it easy to get a taxi from Kozhikode airport to Vythiri? Will they be readily available at the airport and what are the approx charges? A hatchback (Indica or similar) should do as there are only 2 passengers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
If you don't have much luggage the best option would be to get airport shuttle Volvo to city and then get on any KSRTC bus which goes to Vythiri/ Mananthavady/ Batherry / Mysore / Bangalore.
Taxis are easily available. Last June I paid ~1200 for a 35 km distance. Vythiri is approximately 90 km from the Airport. So expect a charge of at least 3500-4000. Also, most of the Airport Taxis are Ambassadors and they go in a sequence. So not sure if you can be guaranteed to get an Indica. Cannot expect any other vehicle (say an Etios or a Fiesta).

Suhas, there is only one Airport to City Volvo and that also is very erratic and when I went in June, the cab driver told me it is no longer running due to poor patronage. Not sure if they have restarted with the new KURM Low Floor Services.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2015, 21:00   #233
Distinguished - BHPian
 
dhanushs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bathery/BLR
Posts: 3,314
Thanked: 3,661 Times
Default Re: Route query to Wayanad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Taxis are easily available. Last June I paid ~1200 for a 35 km distance. Vythiri is approximately 90 km from the Airport. So expect a charge of at least 3500-4000.
Whoa, I dont think the cost will be this high. Should definitely be below 2k. I have a driver whom I call frequently to drive my Jeep. Give me some time, i'll quote the prices from Major towns in Wayanad to the Airport/Railway station in Calicut.
dhanushs is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2015, 22:09   #234
BHPian
 
sunnyman_46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 41
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Route query to Wayanad

Thanks Mpksuhas for the quick reply.

Which route would be scenic to travel while going Ooty to Wayanad and then from Vythiri to Kochi? Also preferring a route which has less damaged roads.
sunnyman_46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2015, 08:27   #235
Distinguished - BHPian
 
dhanushs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bathery/BLR
Posts: 3,314
Thanked: 3,661 Times
Default Re: Route query to Wayanad

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
.. i'll quote the prices from Major towns in Wayanad to the Airport/Railway station in Calicut.
The cost of a Tavera is 24rs/km. So, from Calicut Airport it will work out to around 3000/-. Railway station would be 2500 till Sulthan Bathery.

Till Vythiti, it should be 1800-2000.

Swift Dezire, Logan and Etios will be cheaper than this. IIRC runs at ~20rs/km.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2015, 09:40   #236
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 240
Thanked: 251 Times
Default Re: Route query to Wayanad

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
The cost of a Tavera is 24rs/km. So, from Calicut Airport it will work out to around 3000/-. Railway station would be 2500 till Sulthan Bathery.

Till Vythiti, it should be 1800-2000.

Swift Dezire, Logan and Etios will be cheaper than this. IIRC runs at ~20rs/km.
Thank you, this is helpful. If there is a rental agency or driver contact that you could send me on PM, it would be much appreciated. Otherwise, I will try to make a few calls.
reverse_gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2015, 09:52   #237
Distinguished - BHPian
 
dhanushs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bathery/BLR
Posts: 3,314
Thanked: 3,661 Times
Default Re: Route query to Wayanad

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_gear View Post
Thank you, this is helpful. If there is a rental agency or driver contact that you could send me on PM, it would be much appreciated. Otherwise, I will try to make a few calls.
Sure, you can call Sumesh: 099612400227 . He drives a Tavera. You can tell my name, before you negotiate.

If that doesn't work out, PM me, I'll give you other good contacts.

I have a reliable and good driver. So, if you are open to rentals, you can use his services. Let me know.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2015, 20:47   #238
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 487
Thanked: 931 Times
Default Re: Route query to Wayanad

Guys,

Need help with a route query. We are traveling on the Christmas weekend - BLR to Wayanad (Suvistara Resorts) via Mysore. With 2 kids in tow, we avoid a direct drive and plan to break in Mysore on both journeys.

Did a quick google search and it shows 2 routes from Mysore

1. Mysore - Hunsur - Kutta - Payampalli - Resort.
2. Mysore - Nanjangud - Gundlupete - Sultan Bathery - Resort

Distance-wise both are more-or-less similar, but would prefer to decide based on road conditions (specially with the 2 kids). Driving an Innova.

Please advise on road conditions and approximate time from Mysore to Wayanad.
sachinayak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2015, 21:23   #239
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Rajeevraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,960
Thanked: 6,417 Times
Default Re: Route query to Wayanad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post

1. Mysore - Hunsur - Kutta - Payampalli - Resort.
2. Mysore - Nanjangud - Gundlupete - Sultan Bathery - Resort

Please advise on road conditions and approximate time from Mysore to Wayanad.
The resort location seems to be closer to Sultan Bathery. So would recommend option 2. There is road work happening for the initial 20 km (Between Mysore and Nanjangud), but should not be too much of a bother. Excellent roads post that. Overall should take you between ~3 hours from Mysore to the Resort. Gundlepet has a few places where you can stop for rest room/snack breaks if needed.

Be wary of the humps in the Bandipur Forest.
Rajeevraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2015, 22:21   #240
BHPian
 
sunnyman_46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 41
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Route query to Wayanad

Dear Friends,

I am traveling from Vythiri(Wayanad) to Kochi. Which is the best possible route to take?
sunnyman_46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wayanad resorts query anusha_snh Route / Travel Queries 46 25th January 2016 12:00
Bangalore - (Korome) Wayanad route query Jeep Route / Travel Queries 3 25th April 2011 13:09
Route to Wayanad & Ooty Peets Route / Travel Queries 5 5th April 2011 11:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:34.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks