Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 29th May 2010, 23:05   #1
BHPian

Default Team-BHP Foodies Corner - Eat Safe on long drives

An army cannot march on an empty stomach.

Similarly, a Team-BHP roadie needs to eat too. However, to stay on the road (and not having to dash off into the fields with a water bottle ), one needs to eat safe. Would love to know fellow BHPians views on this subject. Starting this string as i didn't see anything of this sort.

Over the years, experienced roadies must have developed some thumb rules on safe eating on long drives. How about sharing these?

My thumb rules are as follows (recollected at random);

1. Eat only cooked food.

Examples :

a) Avoid wet Chutnies: If you get Idli, sambar and Chutnie - avoid the chutnie - chutnies aren't cooked or heated and may have been made with contaminated water.
b) At dhabas, i prefer to anda bhurji and tandoori roti.(pure veggies could substitute egg with daal fry?)
c) avoid milk based food like paneer - prefer safer alternatives like chana, potatoes.
c) Eat light to avoid sleepiness.
d) avoid colas/sugared drinks - they make you sleepy
e) drink lots of low sugar chai (tea) and water

2. Water : Drink only bottled water - prefer known brands

Now, over to the veterans!
Mountain.Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 23:54   #2
BHPian

NEVER Eat any item that is fried, they make it some time before and to make it hot and palatable, it is re-fried. Double Whammy. Had a medu wada, at a kamats just outside Bombay recently, when on a trip to ajmer. Messed the trip.
Agree on the water bit, please stick to the well know brands only. Keep sipping water, the body does need to be hydrated, because the ac is on, physiologically, it may not be noticed, but it does help in lowering fatigue.

I buy fruits on the way, usually get fresh and good local produce, used to pass many small towns esp, on NH17.
Coming to think of it not many on the newer highways.
neofromcapone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 01:15   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain.Goat View Post
2. Water : Drink only bottled water.......
I used to carry about 4-5l of water during outstation trips. Since I always seemed to run out I now carry a 10l can of bisleri. That way I dont have to bother about water for quite a while. Unfortunately, the 10l can is not very easily available and in a Swift it eats up a fair amount of bootspace. Shops in smaller towns usually stock unknown brands.
Edit: I have noticed that the only thing Red Bull does is dehydrate you. Take along a thermos of coffee/tea instead. And some biscuits in case you feel the need to take a break.

Last edited by Roy.S : 30th May 2010 at 01:20.
Roy.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 05:49   #4
BHPian

Nice thread.
For us, food is something that is planned atleast 2 days in advance and what ever needs to be bought is atleast a day in advance. As a rule, we avoid the farsans/mixture and any other stuff like this. For drives lasting 6-7 hours, we certainly carry bread/butter/jam - the sandwiches done at home itself. The "Poha" invariably finds its way into our car for long drives. Beyond 3 bottles of water that we carry, there is one additional bottle - the ever refreshing lime juice. The return journeys are always planned in terms of what restaurant to visit. Idlis are an all time favourite. My wife's handbags are stuffed with chocolates as well.
jkrishnakj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 07:01   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain.Goat View Post
(and not having to dash off into the fields with a water bottle ),

Haha..how true! This used to be a regular feature of my trips; back when I fancied that the best food was always made at the smallest joints. Tasty they could be, but do have huge havoc potential.

Nowadays, we pretty much are well stocked on long trips. This is what we carry:

1. Lots of water.
2. Black tea/coffee in a thermos
3. Granola Bars
4. Fruits: Apples, Oranges and Pears mostly
5. Cookies/Biscuits/Cakes/Crackers

Full meals @ destination to top things up!
josepeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 09:28   #6
BHPian

Default Safe Eating On The Highway -updated Thumb Rules

Hey! We have some momentum here !
I'll summarize the suggestions so far :

FOOD
*Eat only cooked food - Avoid wet Chutnies: If you get Idli, sambaar and Chutnie - avoid the chutnie - chutnies aren't cooked or heated and may have been made with contaminated water sambaar is safer.
*At dhabas, i prefer to anda bhurji and tandoori roti this choice never went wrong.(pure veggies could substitute egg with daal fry?)
*avoid milk based food like paneer - prefer safer alternatives like chana, potatoes.
* Carry food which doesnt get spoilt easily -Bread, Jam, Puris, Parathas, Pickles, Khakras, Theplas, Bhakri (can somebody pitch in with some equivalents from South India or from other parts?)
*EAT LIGHT to avoid sleepiness full meal only after you reach destination.
*Carry or buy Fruits -if youre sure of availability on the way: Eg. Apples, Oranges and Pears
* Carry Cookies/Biscuits/Cakes/Crackers

DRINK

*Water: Drink only bottled water - prefer known brands. Carry larger bottles if you can availability of known brands in smaller towns is uncertain
*Keep sipping water (or low sugar tea when possible), the body does need to re-hydrate, because the A/C can dehydrate you silently - top up occasionally with lime juice or Enerzal to shore up the electrolytes in your body.
*avoid colas/sugared drinks - they make you sleepy
* drink lots of low sugar chai (tea) and water
Old 30th May 2010, 09:51   #7
BHPian

Default Back to back posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Nice thread.
For us, food is something that is planned atleast 2 days in advance and what ever needs to be bought is atleast a day in advance. As a rule, we avoid the farsans/mixture and any other stuff like this. For drives lasting 6-7 hours, we certainly carry bread/butter/jam - the sandwiches done at home itself. The "Poha" invariably finds its way into our car for long drives. Beyond 3 bottles of water that we carry, there is one additional bottle - the ever refreshing lime juice. The return journeys are always planned in terms of what restaurant to visit. Idlis are an all time favourite. My wife's handbags are stuffed with chocolates as well.
The Poha will last for 12 hours. I'm not so sure about the chocolates krish. I feel they give you an instant spike of energy but make you sleepy later - sugar being the culprit. It's okay for the co-passengers though, more so the kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josepeter View Post
Haha..how true! This used to be a regular feature of my trips; back when I fancied that the best food was always made at the smallest joints. Tasty they could be, but do have huge havoc potential.

Nowadays, we pretty much are well stocked on long trips. This is what we carry:

1. Lots of water.
2. Black tea/coffee in a thermos
3. Granola Bars
4. Fruits: Apples, Oranges and Pears mostly
5. Cookies/Biscuits/Cakes/Crackers

Full meals @ destination to top things up!
Good suggestions Jose. But I have a few doubts on the Granola bars (Sugar Rich) and coffee ( both make you sleepy after the initial spike of energy?). Your views please.

Last edited by Dippy : 30th May 2010 at 12:06.
Old 30th May 2010, 12:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

For my long solo trips (usually 800km+ non-stop), I keep a plastic basket in front the passenger seat. This basket has 3-4 bottles of water, fruit juice (Real/Saint), fresh apples, bananas, bread, chocolates. Idea is to reach out for the basket while on the move. Water/juice helps in keeping hydrated. The apples would have been washed earlier in running water to get rid of the pesticides.

When I feel tired, I take a break and have a cup of hot black tea. I avoid the milk based tea, as it creates acidity.

While at restaurants, I usually prefer the safest, most moving dish. Usually in south it is the meals for lunch/dinner or idli/sambar for breakfast. I avoid exotic stuff unless someone has told me of a specific hotel and dish which is considered safe.
sbraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 16:44   #9
Team-BHP Support

I do keep eatables on board for long drives. But also get down at "so called" good places Kamat, A2B, CCD etc.
Never looked at the contamination point of view. Some how never showed till date.

Cannot imagine myself eating Dosas, without Chutney! But the point is well taken.

I am relatively new to a long drive. I dont do more than 400 on a single day. Hence breaks and hotels/restaurants are well planned.
Now only I slowly getting into the grove of driving non-stop for longer distances.

Its also the co-passenger comfort that needs to be taken into account.
On top of it if there are kids involved, another level of care needs to be taken.

Last edited by ampere : 30th May 2010 at 16:55.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 17:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

I guess I'm totally a new breed when I get solo, all I see is only the drive & the destination. I never feel like eating out during long drives unless I see something really attractive like CCD's or A2B or McD on the highway (sure the American way of attracting customers is working) & unless I'm with family.

My recent trip with a friend of mine of about 820Kms in a day consisted of breakfast from A2B on idlies, lunch from Trichy cafe of meals & dinner from A2B of idlies.

Well, I enjoy the drive no matter how bad or good the road. Now days, I started consuming lot of water & prefer to carry idlies soaked in idly chilly powder from home or idlies with sambar from good hotel & I always carry water from home; though I like to say that my policy is light food when driving, there are times when I like to have a heavy food, but that affects my driving ability. I cannot concentrate much & makes me drive real slow.

To keep myself from steady good driving speed, I prefer light food & home food (helps to crunch more miles too) these days.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 15:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

One more thing - when starting our eat something from your home - preferably non-veg stuff - it stays long, digests slowly, won't make you sleepy (like starch - rice,wheat etc), will not make you go to toilet after 8 hours.

The only hitch is that you feel thirsty after meat - so keep water with you.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 17:00   #12
BHPian

^^^ Yummy !

Fantastic suggestion.
WDM007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 21:46   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
One more thing - when starting our eat something from your home - preferably non-veg stuff - it stays long, digests slowly, won't make you sleepy (like starch - rice,wheat etc), will not make you go to toilet after 8 hours.

The only hitch is that you feel thirsty after meat - so keep water with you.
But I thought otherwise. Eating non-veg stuff (these tend to be heavy) would mean lot of energy needed on metabolic activity, slowing down the brain. A slow brain would mean less alertness etc.

Not sure of the scientific basis of either approaches.
sbraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 21:57   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
But I thought otherwise. Eating non-veg stuff (these tend to be heavy) would mean lot of energy needed on metabolic activity, slowing down the brain. A slow brain would mean less alertness etc.

Not sure of the scientific basis of either approaches.
Exactly my thoughts, I feel sleepy every time I eat non-veg.

You can also carry corn flakes and milk. Add to that the apples, banana and dates. They are as good as a regular course meal.
sachinj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 22:58   #15
Team-BHP Support

I usually keep Fruits, Bread/Butter, some knick-knacks (chips etc), water on board. Basic need for any travel.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote