Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 4th June 2010, 11:01   #1
BHPian

Default Delhi-Manali-Delhi... Suggestions Welcome

Hi Friends

Here is the scenario on my hand:

My and my wife have approved leaves from 11th June till 16th June 2010 from our respective offices.
We are taking my mother(shes 50) along for the holiday in Manali.

Below is the tentative plan so far:

Leave Delhi on Friday 11th June early morning around 3.30 or 4.00, and reach Ropar via Banur-Kharar atleast by 9am with one halt at Karnal for the breakfast.

From Ropar, head towards Kiratpur Sahib and halt there to visit the gurudwara. From there on planning to reach Manali by evening 5 or 6pm max with few halts.

12th June and 13th June planning to spend in and around manali (Will try to touch Rohtang as well if possible). Planning to leave Manali on 14th morning. Now I still have three more days i.e. 14th, 15th and 16th. Need to reach home Delhi by 16th evening/late night.

Here is where I would need suggestions from the forum. Please suggest some other spots in Himachal. We have Shimla in mind.

Please feel free to suggest any additions/changes in the existing plan given above. The basic idea is to chill, relax and enjoy the drive and time in the hills.

Thanks in advance
amitw79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 11:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitw79 View Post
Hi Friends

Here is the scenario on my hand:

My and my wife have approved leaves from 11th June till 16th June 2010 from our respective offices.
We are taking my mother(shes 50) along for the holiday in Manali.

Below is the tentative plan so far:

Leave Delhi on Friday 11th June early morning around 3.30 or 4.00, and reach Ropar via Banur-Kharar atleast by 9am with one halt at Karnal for the breakfast.

From Ropar, head towards Kiratpur Sahib and halt there to visit the gurudwara. From there on planning to reach Manali by evening 5 or 6pm max with few halts.

12th June and 13th June planning to spend in and around manali (Will try to touch Rohtang as well if possible). Planning to leave Manali on 14th morning. Now I still have three more days i.e. 14th, 15th and 16th. Need to reach home Delhi by 16th evening/late night.

Here is where I would need suggestions from the forum. Please suggest some other spots in Himachal. We have Shimla in mind.

Please feel free to suggest any additions/changes in the existing plan given above. The basic idea is to chill, relax and enjoy the drive and time in the hills.

Thanks in advance
It would require quite some aggressive and fast driving to reach Manali by 5pm with a 4am departure from Delhi with the number of halts you have mentionedm,needless to say it would be very stressful as well.

Why dont you do it this way-

Delhi-Shimla(via Kalka-Solan).3am departure would ensure that you reach Shimla for an early lunch around 11-12pm.Breakfast enroute at Dharampur at Giani ka Dhaba,the place is a virtual food court with innumerable eating places,this is the place where one takes a turn for Kasauli as well.

Next day after breakfast leave for Manali after breakfast.7-8hr drive.

2nights in Manali.

4th day morning leave for Palampur-Dharamsala(you could stop by Baijnath temple enroute).Stay @ Taragarh palace or mahindra at Kangra.Visit the monasteries & Mcleodgunj(seat of the Dalai Lama).5-6hr drive.

5th day morning after breakfast leave for Delhi.8-9 hr drive,stop at Kiratpur Sahib enroute.
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 11:37   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
It would require quite some aggressive and fast driving to reach Manali by 5pm with a 4am departure from Delhi with the number of halts you have mentionedm,needless to say it would be very stressful as well.
Starting from Ropar at 9am, will it really be very difficult to reach Manali by 5pm or for that matter even by 7pm? I have already done hotel booking in Manali from 11th till 14th
Old 4th June 2010, 11:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Starting from Ropar at 9am, will it really be very difficult to reach Manali by 5pm or for that matter even by 7pm? I have already done hotel booking in Manali from 11th till 14th
People who do this route on a regular basis will be able to tell you better based on current road conditions but Delhi-Manali would take you around 12-13hours(or am I missing something?) without stops,as the hills and winding roads bring down your speeds tremendously
Old 4th June 2010, 12:00   #5
BHPian

Quote:
People who do this route on a regular basis will be able to tell you better based on current road conditions but Delhi-Manali would take you around 12-13hours(or am I missing something?) without stops,as the hills and winding roads bring down your speeds tremendously
Thanks Ranjit for your suggestion. Really appreciate your help.

If I reach Shimla on day 1 during lunch time and leave next day for manali, that leaves just half a day for Shimla, too short of a time in Shimla I suppose!

I have checked on google maps as well as on gps software on my phone.

From my place in Delhi to Ropar is around 290 kms, quite doable, if i start early by 3.30 or 4.00 from my place, I should touch Ropar max by 9am.

From Ropar, Manali is around 260 kms, now my guess is that average speed should around 40km/hr in hills, thats around 6 hours on road, add 2 hours of breaks in between. Thats 8 hours in total, means I should be able to touch Manali from Ropar by 5 or 6 pm.

Please correct me if I am wrong with any of the numbers.
We are ok with long hours on the road, so I suppose it wont be too stressful.

Now what I need to decide is what after Manali? It seems from your suggestion it could be either Dharamshala area or Shimla on 14th and 15th June, and returning back to Delhi on 16th June.
Any other suggestions except these two places?
Old 4th June 2010, 12:40   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If I reach Shimla on day 1 during lunch time and leave next day for manali, that leaves just half a day for Shimla, too short of a time in Shimla I suppose!?
Stay the next night also in Shimla.

Quote:
From Ropar, Manali is around 260 kms, now my guess is that average speed should around 40km/hr in hills, thats around 6 hours on road, add 2 hours of breaks in between. Thats 8 hours in total, means I should be able to touch Manali from Ropar by 5 or 6 pm.
Doable,just that it means a really long haul and most of next day would be spent in recovering from the drive

Quote:
It seems from your suggestion it could be either Dharamshala area or Shimla on 14th and 15th June, and returning back to Delhi on 16th June.
Any other suggestions except these two places?
Dalhousie/Chamba is also good.if you are coming back via Ropar,you could also check out the Bhakra-Nangal dam.Wouldnt suggest driving back to Delhi from Manali in one drive as it is another real long haul.
Old 4th June 2010, 12:59   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Stay the next night also in Shimla.

Doable,just that it means a really long haul and most of next day would be spent in recovering from the drive

Dalhousie/Chamba is also good.if you are coming back via Ropar,you could also check out the Bhakra-Nangal dam.Wouldnt suggest driving back to Delhi from Manali in one drive as it is another real long haul.
Agreed Ranjit, Wont do the Manali-Delhi stretch on way back.
I think now Shimla would be the place. Will leave Manali on 14th morning for Shimla and then will leave Shimla for Delhi on 16th morning. Will surely post travelogue when back.

Thanks a ton for your valuable suggestion.
Any other suggestions/ideas from the forum are still welcome
Old 4th June 2010, 16:10   #8
BHPian

Hi Amit,
1) We did Naggar (25 kms from Naggar) to Ropar few days back. Started around 930 and reached around 6 pm. Also we took two leisurely breaks, one for Water rafting at Bajuara and the other for Lunch near Bilaspur.

Also, followig might help you:
1) Aim to cross Swargghat without break once you start from Ropa
2) Avoid Kullu city, instead go via Naggar (oads are much better and there was no traffic when we drove

Hope this helps
Regards
naren_gs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 16:18   #9
Senior - BHPian

Stick to manali, there is enough to do at a leisurely pace there. Dont tire yourself driving across Shimla, Palampur. A complete waste plus you dont do justice to your vacation. Go on to Manali, Rohtang, Manikaran, Solang.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 23:37   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Stick to manali, there is enough to do at a leisurely pace there. Dont tire yourself driving across Shimla, Palampur. A complete waste plus you dont do justice to your vacation. Go on to Manali, Rohtang, Manikaran, Solang.
I agree with Wondernomad.
Kullu vallye should be good enough for five days. (I personally decided against going to Dharmashala as it can be clubbed with Jammu in some other trip).

While in Manali, you can also go to Naggar. Try easier adventure like River Crossing in Manali, Skiiing on Rohtang, Rafting in Kullu.

When on Rohtang, pls go to zero point. I saw many tourists coming back just after seeing glaciers on the way and returning without seeing snow.
Old 5th June 2010, 10:54   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naren_gs1 View Post

Also, followig might help you:
1) Aim to cross Swargghat without break once you start from Ropar

Regards
Would appreciate if you can cite the reason behind this suggestion.
I was planning to break at Kiratpur Sahib from Ropar.
Old 5th June 2010, 11:00   #12
BHPian

Quote:
I agree with Wondernomad.
Kullu vallye should be good enough for five days. (I personally decided against going to Dharmashala as it can be clubbed with Jammu in some other trip).

While in Manali, you can also go to Naggar. Try easier adventure like River Crossing in Manali, Skiiing on Rohtang, Rafting in Kullu.

When on Rohtang, pls go to zero point. I saw many tourists coming back just after seeing glaciers on the way and returning without seeing snow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Hummm... Now I am thinking about it too. I guess will leave this decision( of going to Shimla ) after spending time in Manali. Thanks for the suggestions fellows!
Old 5th June 2010, 13:38   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Would appreciate if you can cite the reason behind this suggestion.
I was planning to break at Kiratpur Sahib from Ropar.
Apologies - was not being very clear.

It is just from traffic point of view - nothing else. I am just passing on the infromation recieved from the owner of the taxi that I had hired. Even I noticed very slow traffic, mailny heavy vehicles.
Old 5th June 2010, 14:36   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Apologies - was not being very clear.

It is just from traffic point of view - nothing else. I am just passing on the infromation recieved from the owner of the taxi that I had hired. Even I noticed very slow traffic, mailny heavy vehicles.
Ok Thanks for the tip.

Quick questions:
How was the weather there like as you have just returned?
Did you manage to reach Rohtang?
Old 7th June 2010, 18:43   #15
BHPian

Weather was good. Being from Deccan, Shimla felt very good, though no sweaters were required. Also, it was raining in Manali and was bit cold - had to move around in woolens. And it was extremelly cold in Keylong. However, we felt (were bound to probably) hot after coming back to Manali! So I guess Rohtang should be planned in the end!