Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 12th June 2010, 17:24   #1
BANNED

Default A 3-day visit to Delhi in July, need some advice on places to visit

Hi All,

I would be in New Delhi for 3 days in the month of July. I would come there to attend a wedding of my colleague.

I would like to know as to what places could I visit surrounding Delhi. I have been to Delhi before and have seen most of the tourist places in Delhi, but this time I want to visit places like Agra etc.

Ideally,I would like to visit the following places this time.

1.Agra
2.Amritsar
3.Wagah

Is this possible at all? Also,would it be possible to get cars for hire without a driver in Delhi?

P.S Hope I have posted this in the right thread.

Cheers
roadracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 23:56   #2
BHPian

please have a look at resorts in Pataudi and Neemrana; I am referring to ones operated by The Neemrana Palaces and Resorts Co.
Thats in case you like your holidays laid back...

Taj mahal and the fort in agra are doable in a day, if tourist traps is your kinda holiday.

Some devotees do the amritsar shatabdi express, to-and-fro, in 24 hours; worth a try if u want a glimpse of the golden temple.
godog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 10:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

Its either Agra or Amritsar. You choose.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 11:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

Amritsar and Wagah are near by, Agra is in opposite direction. If you haven't been to Wagah then for sure place is to be visited for sure, spl. the flag off ceremony.
ashthedivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 13:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

Flag off to where.. Lahore? LOL. Sorry bhai could not resist.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 14:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

See my comments in bold below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadracer View Post
Hi All,

Ideally,I would like to visit the following places this time.

1.Agra Taj is closed on Fridays
2.Amritsar
3.Wagah

Is this possible at all? Also,would it be possible to get cars for hire without a driver in Delhi? It is difficult to get cars without drivers here. I think even Avis and Hertz don't do that any more. Further given the traffic and the parking issues all over Delhi you would be better off with a local driver with a cell phone.

P.S Hope I have posted this in the right thread.

Cheers
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 14:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Flag off to where.. Lahore? LOL. Sorry bhai could not resist.

Well, As a true Indian YES. Breakfast at Lahore, Lunch at karachi and Dinner at Islamabad... @ Sunny Deol Style

BTW, I was referring to the flag-off ceremony in the evenings - 100% mesmerizing !!

Last edited by ashthedivx : 2nd July 2010 at 14:21.
ashthedivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2010, 11:48   #8
BANNED

Guys, Thanks a lot for the quick response.

Could you guys pls recommend few good car hire agencies? I would need to rent a car for a day. I have decided to go to Agra and cover Mathura & Brindavan on this route. This will be on a Sunday.

Cheers
Old 13th July 2010, 15:05   #9
BANNED

Guys, The plan is confirmed now. The following is the itenarary.

1.We are reaching Agra on 17th morning around 3 a.m or so(by GT from Chennai). Accomodation has been booked in Agra. Now I need some references w.r.t to good cab services that would take us to the following locations in & around Agra.
- Taj Mahal
- Brindavan
- Mathura
- Fatehpur Sikri

2. We will cover everything on 17th itself. We will stay 17th night in Agra(accomodation booked) and we need to travel 18th morning to Faridabad. Again I need some help w.r.t to how best I could travel from Agra to Faridabad.

Pls help.
Old 16th January 2012, 13:52   #10
BHPian

Default Need help setting a 'lightning speed' itinerary for Delhi

FINALLY, my manager tells me today that I have a 'business'-need to go to our branch office in Sector 62-Noida.And, BOY ! have I been waiting for this to happen cos I have a lazy hind and I was sure I wasn't going to make this trip to Delhi unless I was forced to. It's going to be the weekend of Feb 4th.

Business ends on the evening of Feb 2nd, ie Thursday. Since I've been booked for stay somewhere near the Delhi airport(Eaton Smart), this is what my plan is TO BEST USE my next TWO days in Delhi - ie, 3rd & 4th. Friday & Saturday.

1. Check-out of the hotel early morn and depart to COUNTRY INN in Ghaziabad.
2. I plan to use the Delhi Metro to reach Ghaziabad. (Need help where and how can I get on this Metro from the airport, and then eventually reach Ghaziabad)
3. I'd like to see the TAJ MAHAL and I plan to stay the night of Feb 3rd in Agra anyway to wind off for the day. TWO SUB-QUESTIONS here:
a)What's the best way to go to Agra from Ghaziabad if I were to leave from Ghaziabad, say 12 noon?
b) Is it best to see the TAJ MAHAL on the evening of Feb 3rd or the morning of Feb 4th?
4. Any recommended places to stay in AGRA, that's decent but at the same time not HYPER LUXURIOUS?
5. Check-out of the hotel after breakfast, say 9am. My flight back to Bangalore is at 8.30pm, so I need to head back to Delhi. SUB-QUESTIONS:
a)What's the best way to get out of Agra to reach somewhere around Delhi where transport to the airport can be easily available?
b)Anything interesting that you recommend as a MUST-SEE in Delhi during this short stint?
mempheS.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2012, 14:30   #11
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Need help setting a 'lightning speed' itinerary for Delhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
this is what my plan is TO BEST USE my next TWO days in Delhi - ie, 3rd & 4th. Friday & Saturday.

1. Check-out of the hotel early morn and depart to COUNTRY INN in Ghaziabad.
2. I plan to use the Delhi Metro to reach Ghaziabad. (Need help where and how can I get on this Metro from the airport, and then eventually reach Ghaziabad)
3. I'd like to see the TAJ MAHAL and I plan to stay the night of Feb 3rd in Agra anyway to wind off for the day. TWO SUB-QUESTIONS here:
a)What's the best way to go to Agra from Ghaziabad if I were to leave from Ghaziabad, say 12 noon?
b) Is it best to see the TAJ MAHAL on the evening of Feb 3rd or the morning of Feb 4th?
4. Any recommended places to stay in AGRA, that's decent but at the same time not HYPER LUXURIOUS?
5. Check-out of the hotel after breakfast, say 9am. My flight back to Bangalore is at 8.30pm, so I need to head back to Delhi. SUB-QUESTIONS:
a)What's the best way to get out of Agra to reach somewhere around Delhi where transport to the airport can be easily available?
b)Anything interesting that you recommend as a MUST-SEE in Delhi during this short stint?

1. Though this hotel (Country Inn) is less than 5 kms from Sector 62 but there will be heavy traffic during office hours and So please start from hotel accordingly.

Here is the link for the map (Country Inn) with nearest metro station as Vaishali: Google Maps

2. Here you go:
  • From Airport, go to the Airport metro station (proper signage is being provided) and take Airport Metro Express. Ticket is around Rs 100. Time taken will be 20-25 mins approx.
  • Get down at the last metro station i.e. New Delhi (also New Delhi Railway Station).
  • From New Delhi, change for Blue Line. You have to take metro towards Vaishali. On the platform, you will see alternate trains for Noida City Center and Vaishali on the same same platform. Please take the metro for Vaishali. Time taken will be 30-35 mins approx.
  • Get down at the last metro station i.e. Vaishali. Your hotel is hardly at a distance on 500 -1000 mtrs from metro station. Please take the foot over bridge (connected with the first floor of Vaishali metro station) while coming out of the metro station because you have to go to the opposite side of the road.
  • Take an auto rickshaw (shared), cycle rickshaw (if you have luggage) or you can also walk down to Country Inn. Cheapest (Rs 5) option will be shared auto, but please beware of your luggage and your own safety.
3. Unfortunately the Taj is closed on Fridays i.e. 3rd Feb. See the schedule here:
Taj Mahal Timings - Timings of Taj Mahal Agra - Timing for Visiting Taj Mahal

A. Since the Taj is closed on Friday so you can leave Delhi/Gzb in the late afternoon and reach Agra in the evening (provided you have booked your hotel in Agra). And during the day you can visit any place in Delhi. There are buses, trains and taxis (shared also) available for Agra. Best will be Volvo for Agra but dont know the timings. For Volvo buses, check this link (I haven't used this link):

buses - Delhi - Agra, 03 Feb

B.
Since the Taj is closed on 3rd, you will have to wait for 4th morning.

4. I haven't stayed there in any of the hotels, so no idea about this.

5 - A. Check out from Agra hotel after breakfast and visit the Taj quickly. Take any volvo before 12 noon so that you can reach Delhi by the evening. Reach the areas around New Delhi metro station like Cannuaght Place and just roam around and take the Airport Express metro from New Delhi between 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM.

B. Since you won't have time on 4th Feb, you will have to visit any place during 3rd Morning only. So leave your hotel early after breakfast.
There are number of places in Delhi and it all depends upon your choice as to waht you would like to see. Wherever you go around in Delhi on 3rd morning, please do not forget that you remain closer to the area from where you have to take the volvo / train etc. for Agra.

Why do you have a booking in a Delhi hotel post 2nd Feb? Or I have missed something?

In case of further clarification, please do let me know.

All the best for your Delhi trip!

Cheers!
Irish
Irish is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2012, 19:30   #12
BHPian

Default Re: Need help setting a 'lightning speed' itinerary for Delhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
Why do you have a booking in a Delhi hotel post 2nd Feb? Or I have missed something?

Cheers!
Irish
The trip to the hotel at Sector 62 is to meet a colleague. The trip begins after that.

I can't believe my eyes and thank you enough for this detailed reply, Irish.

Heavily relying on the information you provided, and some googling. This is what I came up with before I do my bookings. I'm thinking I'll take a train between NEW DELHI and AGRA CANTT just so that I feel less tired.

From DELHI to AGRA on 3-Feb:
Chennai Rajdhani/12434
Departs @ 16:00 - Delhi Hazrat Nizamuddin/NZM
Arrives @ 18:08 - Agra Cantt./AGC
From AGRA to DELHI on 4-Feb:
Mangala Lakshadweep Express/12617
Departs @ 10:18 - Agra Cantt./AGC
Arrives @ 13:10 - Delhi Hazrat Nizamuddin/NZM
In Agra, I think I'll just do with the TAJ MAHAL, and due to time constraints, I'll have to leave behind Fatehpur Sikhri.

The plan above allows me sufficient breathing time to loiter around the city - Connaught, maybe. Suggestions??

Please let me know what you think as I ll do my bookings after I have your opinion.

TWO questions:
1. Now that the station I'm using is going to be NZM, what would be the easiest way to get there from Sector-62 Noida? Will I have to get to NDLS first, and then get another line?
2. Does it get OVERLY crowded in the metros like the local trains in Mumbai?

After all this digging, I realize one thing already - the Delhi Metro is what a METRO should really be, in comparison with the NAMMA METRO we have in Bangalore (true that it's only 10% complete yet)

THanks a lot once again for your time and effort and patience to answer me in details.

Last edited by mempheS.D : 16th January 2012 at 19:43. Reason: reason for post 2nd feb
mempheS.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2012, 11:39   #13
BHPian

Default Re: Need help setting a 'lightning speed' itinerary for Delhi

Please find below my replies:

Quote:
Heavily relying on the information you provided, and some googling. This is what I came up with before I do my bookings. I'm thinking I'll take a train between NEW DELHI and AGRA CANTT just so that I feel less tired.

From DELHI to AGRA on 3-Feb:
Chennai Rajdhani/12434
Departs @ 16:00 - Delhi Hazrat Nizamuddin/NZM
Arrives @ 18:08 - Agra Cantt./AGC
Booking for 3rd Feb looks fine to me. You can roam around in the city before catching the Chennai Rajdhani.

Quote:
From AGRA to DELHI on 4-Feb:
Mangala Lakshadweep Express/12617
Departs @ 10:18 - Agra Cantt./AGC
Arrives @ 13:10 - Delhi Hazrat Nizamuddin/NZM
4th feb looks somewhat difficult because of two reasons:

1. Will you be able to checkout, have breakfast, visit TajMahal and reach station by 10:00 AM? Please note that the Taj is closed on Fridays so you won't be able to visit on 3rd Feb. Therefore you have to visit there only on 4th Feb.

2. Since this train is coming from a distance, will it be ON TIME? Due to fog in northern India, trains are getting delayed due to servral hours. Usually there is fog in Feb 1st week also so there will be a risk. Try to get a train like Rajdhani / Shatabdi then it should be fine as these normally run on schedule, provided it matches your schedule.

Quote:

The plan above allows me sufficient breathing time to loiter around the city - Connaught, maybe. Suggestions??
If you reach on time in Delhi then you can visit Cannaught Place but please note that its just like a normal shopping place. Once your bookings are finalized then you can look for another place also.

Quote:
Please let me know what you think as I ll do my bookings after I have your opinion.
Delhi - Agra train booking is fine. Please be careful for Agra-Delhi train booking.

Quote:

TWO questions:
1. Now that the station I'm using is going to be NZM, what would be the easiest way to get there from Sector-62 Noida? Will I have to get to NDLS first, and then get another line?
There is NO direct metro for NZM. Nearest station is also 3-4 kms away from it. and will require to change 3 metro trains. Either somebody drops you there or you take a radio taxi (Rs 500 apprx) from Noida to Nzm.

If you want to go via Metro route then from Sector 62 Noida to NZM, there are two options:

Option 1:
Reach Vaishali / Kaushambi / Anand Vihar metro station (somebody can drop you on either of these stations) and take blue line towards Dwarka and get down at Indraprastha metro station (recommended option)

Option 2:
Reach Noida City Center (somebody will have to drop you) and take blue line towards Dwarka and get down at Indraprastha metro station

Go with option 1 and reach Indraprastha metro station.
  • Come out of the metro station 'without' using the foot over bridge on the Ring Road.
  • Take an auto for Hz Nizamuddin (Sarai Kale Khan side gate). It's hardly 3-4 kms away from there. Don't pay more than Rs 50 for this distance. You will find autos plying with meter very rarely on Delhi roads so please be confident while taking autos here otherwise they will charge you much more. Show them like you are form Delhi only and knows about the place and distance very well.
There is another metro route also which I won't prefer you to take. It will be time consuming and also you need to change 3 metros. If you continue in the Blue Line metro till Rajeev Chowk, then take Yellow Line for HUDA City Center (Gurgaon) from Rajeev Chowk and get down at Central Secritariat (Rajeev Chowk-> Patel Chowk -> Central Sect.). Change here for Violet Line towards Badarpur. Get down at Jangpura metro station and take an auto for Hz Nizamuddin station. But please avoid this route as you will need to take an auto in this case also and it will be time consuming also.

Quote:

2. Does it get OVERLY crowded in the metros like the local trains in Mumbai?
Yes, Delhi metro is overly crowded but during office hours only. The crowd in metro depends upon the timings and the route direction. But don't worry, its not as bad as Mumbai locals (no offenses meant to anybody). Only the Airport Express is NOT over crowded at all, during any time of the day.

One more advice - Please be ready to wear (morning & evenings) at least one sweater and one jacket during your stay in Delhi / Agra. Minimum temperature will be around 7 degrees during your trip. Be prepared for that.

Please do let me know in case of further queries.

Cheers!
Irish

Last edited by Irish : 17th January 2012 at 11:41.
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote