Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 12th August 2010, 16:01   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

This section is well discussed and has been in un-usably bad state for a long time.

Alternate routes :
1. Tumkur-Sira - Hiriyur & onwards (like MAG said)
2. Davangere - Harihar - turn right off NH-4 to reach near Hospet.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 19:21   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadracer View Post
Guys, Recently I travelled to Hampi from Bangalore and took NH-4, NH-13 route. The NH-13 from Chitragurga to Hospet was absolutely horrible. It was full of pot holes. It's a two lane road and great number of trucks use this road. But the holes were absolutely horrible and we took almost 4.5 hours to cover the 135Kms distance from Chitradurga to Hospet.

An alternate option could be NH-7 via Anantapur.
We endured that miserable stretch last September, but it took us around 3.5 hours, despite the bad roads and bad fuel in the car. The 30 km stretch from Hospet towards Chitradurga was the worst---it took us nearly an hour.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 20:04   #18
Senior - BHPian

NH13 is bad throughout beyond Hospet till the MH border on the way to Solapur. Has always been!
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 21:41   #19
BANNED

Thanks for the response so far. Unfortunately I didn't plan the Hampi bit of the trip well. Hampi was added at a late stage and didn't do a search on TBhp and thought that a National Highway would be of decent standard. But seriously NH13 would get even worse if no action is taken to improve that road. As suggested by other members, the Hiriyur-Bellary-Hampi seems to be a sensible option for the travellers from Bengaluru.
roadracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 21:46   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the response so far. Unfortunately I didn't plan the Hampi bit of the trip well. Hampi was added at a late stage and didn't do a search on TBhp and thought that a National Highway would be of decent standard. But seriously NH13 would get even worse if no action is taken to improve that road. As suggested by other members, the Hiriyur-Bellary-Hampi seems to be a sensible option for the travellers from Bengaluru.
However, although Hiriyur-Bellary is good, the Bellary-Hospet NH63 is often not and breaks up badly too.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 22:05   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
However, although Hiriyur-Bellary is good, the Bellary-Hospet NH63 is often not and breaks up badly too.
I have registered a complaint with NHAI on their website regarding the state of NH13.

Also,I opened a PDF from the NHAI website and the PDF talks about some workplan. They seem to have an entry for NH13. However it's not clear as to what type of job is being planned for NH13.

http://www.nhai.org/Work%20Plan%20II%20(2010-11).pdf
roadracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 23:17   #22
BHPian

Presently, the road between Bellary and Hospet has broken down at many places because of rains but I think still drivable. It is not as bad as it used to be in last some years. But the the road surface is pretty bad. It has cracks, potholes and repair patches everywhere.

Quote:
I have registered a complaint with NHAI on their website regarding the state of NH13.

Also,I opened a PDF from the NHAI website and the PDF talks about some workplan. They seem to have an entry for NH13. However it's not clear as to what type of job is being planned for NH13.
I hear that the road between Hospet and Bellary is being converted to 4-lane. Most likely, it will be a toll road.

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th August 2010 at 16:28. Reason: Posts merged.
Sanjay1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2010, 20:51   #23
BHPian

Default Re: NH13 Road condition? Update: Do not take it from Chitradurga-Hospet

Folks,

I plan to travel from Bangalore to Hospet in the next few days. The original plan is to go on NH4 to Chitradurga and then NH13 to Hospet. Has anyone traveled this section recently and can advice?

Are there any alternative sections which are better? Thanks in advance.
nareshtrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2010, 09:30   #24
Team-BHP Support

As discussed in the Hampi thread, take the SH instead of NH13. Its much-much better and saves you from nightmares.
(I that would be 30 Km extra). But as HVK said earlier, Nh63 also is broke. But I guess that would be less of a trouble compared to NH13.

Bengaluru, Karnataka to Hospet, Karnataka - Google Maps

Last edited by ampere : 20th December 2010 at 09:31.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2011, 17:29   #25
Team-BHP Support

Finally NH13 condition is so bad that its 4-laning is today's front page news!

The Hindu : Today's Paper News : Two national highways to be upgraded

The other highway to be upgraded is Nh212.

And its going to be a Public Private partnership.

Last edited by ampere : 10th November 2011 at 17:34.
Old 10th November 2011, 17:44   #26
Senior - BHPian

I recently traveled on small stretch of NH13 and it was one of the loveliest drives I have ever had, although it was a short drive.

This was between Koppa and Sringeri, a distance of around 30 kms. Beautiful surface, beautiful curves and driving a Volkswagen Vento on it. It was a lovely combination. I did go about 5-6 kms from Sringeri towards Karkala on the same road and it was good. But I'm not sure of the overall condition of the route.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2011, 18:13   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
I recently traveled on small stretch of NH13 and it was one of the loveliest drives I have ever had, although it was a short drive.

But I'm not sure of the overall condition of the route.
NH13 really goes bad when it comes to the brown region!
Chitraduga-Hospet-Bijapur thanks to mining trucks.

Thats why every one takes the SH from Hiriyur when heading to Hampi via Chalkere instead of the NH from Chitradurga.

I dont think they can upgrade that in the ghats region. At best maybe till Shimoga. But even that would be very good!
Old 10th November 2011, 22:42   #28
BHPian

I recently travelled between Tirthahalli - Shimoga - Chtiradurga

Tirthahalli - Shimoga was very good. Shimoga - Channagiri is not NH 13 but was still a good road, but a little too many speed breakers (rumblers). Channagiri - Chitradurga is NH13 and is also very good, a 100+ kind of surface.

I would say, this route is better than NH 206 (which is not bad either) to Shimoga from Bangalore and is worth the 15 - 20 Kms extra drive
slakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 08:56   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by slakhs View Post
I recently travelled between Tirthahalli - Shimoga - Chtiradurga

Tirthahalli - Shimoga was very good. Shimoga - Channagiri is not NH 13 but was still a good road, but a little too many speed breakers (rumblers). Channagiri - Chitradurga is NH13 and is also very good, a 100+ kind of surface.

I would say, this route is better than NH 206 (which is not bad either) to Shimoga from Bangalore and is worth the 15 - 20 Kms extra drive
Is Bhadravathi-Channagiri-Chitradurga not NH13? My only source was google maps where its marked so.

I thinks its beyond Chitradurga towards the Bellary region where it deteriorates big time.
Old 11th November 2011, 10:17   #30
BHPian

^^

There is a direct road from Shimoga to Channagiri which I mentioned as not NH13. There is another road from Bhadravati to Channagiri which is marked as NH 13 in Google. I didnt travel in that section.
slakhs is offline   Reply With Quote