Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 17th June 2010, 13:02   #1

Default Route Advice Goa to Madikeri & Home Stay

Hello Guys,

I will be driving down to Goa with my family (parents & sis) in my Swift VDI for a small vacation & then plan to head down south to Madikeri, Coorg.

Currently I have jotted this.. I also need help to know on the possible accomodations available while on transit.

Mumbai via the Pune (expressway ) - Kolhapur - Niappani - Amboli - Goa . Any better alternative while skipping the legacy NH17 ?

Goa - Gokarna (Temple Darshan & Om Beach ) then stay at Murdeshwar. Any known acco options here will also be helpful

Murdeshwar (Shiv Temple Darshan) & then on NH17 upto Manglaore & head towards Madekeri, Coorg via Puttur.

I need to know about Home Stays in Madikeir preferbably around the coffee plantations & then visit the Famous Abbey Falls. The reason for home stay is knowing the local culture & hogging on the local delicacy while saving some money :-)

Then I also plan to visit the Tibetian Monastery @ Khushalnagar (Have Momo's & Thuppas's here) & come back to Madikeri to break for the night. So it will be a 2 day homestay @Madikeri...

GOing back family wants to visit home goddess in Hubli & Belgaum so do I have to drive all the way back to Ankola on the NH17 to take a right on the NH63 for Hubli or is there a better route to Hubli from Madikeri ?

If everything goes as per plan this is how my happy journey look like..

Sunday 20th - Leave for Goa
Monday _ Goa Site Seeing
Tuesday - Goa Site Seeing
Wednesday - Goa Site Seeing
Thursday - Leav for Murdeshwar visitng Gokarna
Friday - Leave for Madikeri via Manglaore - Turn left for NH 48
Satursday - Madikeri stay & visit Ballacuppe @ Khushalnagar - Tibetian Monastery
Sunday - Relax at Madikeri, visit Abbey Water Falls & Coffee Estates
Monday - Leave for Hubli
Tuesday - Visit Hubli and then leave & STay @ Belgaum
Wednesday - Mumbai

In anyway you guys think I can visit Jog Falls somewhere in between while not extending by return to Mumbai ?

Please Please Please Kindly suggest.....

Thanks.
Akshay Dere.
akshaydere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 14:47   #2
Team-BHP Support

The best option from Madekeri to Hubli would be via Chikmagulur/Bhadra.
and then turn on to NH4 at Ranebennur. Going to NH17 is a big roundabout.

Madekeri-Arkalgud-Gorur-Hassan-Belur-Chikmagulur-Kadur-Bhadravathi-Ranebennur-Hubli

A more scenic drive can be through Sirsi which would conenct the NH63 at Yellapur.

Madekeri-Arkalgud-Gorur-Hassan-Belur-Chikmagulur-Kadur-Bhadravathi-Shimoga-Talguppa-Sirsi-Malgi-Mundgod-Hubli

There are internal roads in this region but not not sure of their conditions.

Last edited by ampere : 17th June 2010 at 14:48.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 15:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaydere View Post

Mumbai via the Pune (expressway ) - Kolhapur - Niappani - Amboli - Goa . Any better alternative while skipping the legacy NH17 ?
if you are planning to stay in South Goa,then going via Belgaum-Londa-Ponda-Panjim taking the NH4A through the Ponda ghats could be a scenic drive(NH4A has apparently been relaid now-but would still recommend asking at Belgaum before proceeding).

Quote:
Goa - Gokarna (Temple Darshan & Om Beach ) then stay at Murdeshwar. Any known acco options here will also be helpful
if you plan to stay on Om Beach,then Om Beach Resort is a good option,if in Murudeshwar,then you could check out either RNS residency or Naveen resort.

Quote:
Murdeshwar (Shiv Temple Darshan) & then on NH17 upto Manglaore & head towards Madekeri, Coorg via Puttur.
you could detour off from NH17 @ Kundapura and see the Kollur Mookambika temple and also detour at Udupi to see the Udupi Sri Krishna temple

Quote:
I need to know about Home Stays in Madikeir preferbably around the coffee plantations & then visit the Famous Abbey Falls. The reason for home stay is knowing the local culture & hogging on the local delicacy while saving some money :-)
there is a TBhpian who runs a home stay and has very good reviews,you could get in touch with him and check,I think the id is "princezahed"

Quote:
GOing back family wants to visit home goddess in Hubli & Belgaum so do I have to drive all the way back to Ankola on the NH17 to take a right on the NH63 for Hubli or is there a better route to Hubli from Madikeri ?
Ampere's comment holds good.You could detour from Shimoga to Jog falls and come back to Hubli.Shimoga to Jog would be around 120kms & Jog to Hubli another 150kms approx
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 15:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
if you are planning to stay in South Goa,then going via Belgaum-Londa-Ponda-Panjim taking the NH4A through the Ponda ghats could be a scenic drive(NH4A has apparently been relaid now-but would still recommend asking at Belgaum before proceeding).

there is a TBhpian who runs a home stay and has very good reviews,you could get in touch with him and check,I think the id is "princezahed"
Right you are ranjitp1,
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...p-welcome.html (Starting a Home Stay/Resort in Coorg.. Suggestions and Help Welcome)

And which ever route you take to Goa please update the status / condition of it.

P.S. akshaydere whats the reason for skipping the the legacy NH17 ?
deutscheafrikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 15:46   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
you could detour off from NH17 @ Kundapura and see the Kollur Mookambika temple and also detour at Udupi to see the Udupi Sri Krishna temple
The Udupi comment is very apt. Start late from Goa, break at Udupi, visit the temple and then stay overnight before
you start very early for Madekeri.

You dont have to go all the way to Mangalore. You can take a deviation at Mulki and directly head for Bantwal on the NH48.
Then drive to Mani, where you need to turn to Puttur and there on to Madikeri.
Old 17th June 2010, 20:03   #6

@ampere - Thanks for the drive back suggestions.
I think I am starting to prefer this route of yours...
Madekeri-Arkalgud-Gorur-Hassan-Belur-Chikmagulur-Kadur-Bhadravathi-Shimoga-Talguppa-Sirsi-Malgi-Mundgod-Hubli

From Madikeri to reach Arkalgud - do I take the route like,
Madikeri - Jambur - Somvarpet - Arkalgud or do I take the other
Madikeri - Kushalanagar - Bettadpur - Ramanathapura - Arkalgud
Both these routes I am seeing from the Eicher Road Atlas that I have handy with me...

--------------
@ranjit
I plan to stay near Calangute beach. So Belgaum-Londa-Ponda-Panjim is better ?
Thanks for the info on the resort on Om Beach... Checking both the resorts on Google now
Yes I plan to visit Jog Falls & now with ' ampere's ' route back to Hubli, I think Jog Falls is quite possible.
-----------------
Old 17th June 2010, 20:14   #7

Both these routes I am seeing from the Eicher Road Atlas that I have handy with me...

--------------
@ranjit
I plan to stay near Calangute beach. So Belgaum-Londa-Ponda-Panjim is better ?
Thanks for the info on the resort on Om Beach... Checking both the resorts on Google now
Yes I plan to visit Jog Falls & now with ' ampere's ' route back to Hubli, I think Jog Falls is quite possible.
-----------------
Old 17th June 2010, 22:17   #8
Team-BHP Support

For the Coorg to CKM section via Arkalgud, check with addyhemmige for the latest road updates and status. He treks in that region quite often.

Check the following post:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post1912863 (Need help to Travel from Hassan to Coorg)
Old 17th June 2010, 22:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

[quote=akshaydere;1941680@ranjit
I plan to stay near Calangute beach. So Belgaum-Londa-Ponda-Panjim is better ?[/quote]

Nope. ranjitp1 means if you're planing to stay in South Goa then the londa ponda route can be tried provided you're absolutely sure the mining trucks haven't ruined it.

Take the detour off the NH4 to Sawantwadi and then enter North Goa and enjoy your stay in calangute.
deutscheafrikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 23:42   #10
BHPian

Default Route to Goa

Dude, if you are not planning to stay in South Goa, avoid the Belgaum route, the trucks are wreaking havoc there.

Instead, stick to NH4, cross Kolhapur and travel for another 25-30 km, on your LHS there is a hotel called Satyawati Palace - right opposite that is a right turn, take it. The next 10 km will be bad roads, but that's just because of the border condition.

Road after that is lovely, it will lead you straight to Amboli - expect to encounter heavy rains there. There are lots of road signs leading you, so no question of losing your way.

From Amboli, follow the same road, you will descend right into Sawantwadi. Mapusa is just 40-odd km from there. Reach Mapusa and follow the road signs to Kalangute.

You might want to check out the GTDC resort at Kalangute to stay, even otherwise there would be lots of options open on the Kalangute-Baga stretch.

As for stay in Murudeshwara, there is no better place than RNS Residency. Get a room high up on 5th/6th floors if possible, offers a breathtaking view of the sea, with the Lord Shiva temple and the giant Shiva statue just a few steps away from the hotel entrance.

Have a good trip, cheers - Goa in Monsoons is a treasure to be explored, I just got back from there myself. Tc.
roadie_swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 00:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

From Madikeri, take the following route

Madikeri-Somwarpet-Shanivarsante-Mallipatna-Arkalgud-Gorur-Hassan-Belur-Chikmagalur-Santaveri-Lingadahalli-Tarikere-Bhadravati....

Road from Madikeri to Mallipatna is good. After Shanivarsante, you have to take right to Mallipatna (straight goes to Kodlipet). Again take a right at Mallipatna circle towards Arkalgud. Proceed around 10 kms and turn left when you reach Arkalgud.

Mallipatna to Arkalgud is bad with potholes, but it can be managed. Arkalgud-Gorur-Hassan is decent with a couple of rough patches.

Hassan-Belur-Chikmagalur is very good. Chikmagalur-Kadur stretch was pretty bad last I heard, so better take the Chikmagalur-Lingadahalli-Tarikere-Bhadravati road. It is in good condition.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote