Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2011, 21:36   #16
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 6
Thanked: 0 Times
Default kanyakumari to leh(in record time) and then the mighty marsimik la

hey there guys,my friends and me are planning to drive from kanyakumari to leh attempting to break a limca book of record which stands at 79.5hrs.we plan to leave from kanyakumari on sep 23,we have done this kind of driving before and presently hold the limca book of record for driving across india the fastest,we covered about 16000km in less than 17 days,for more details of this drive please check our website Tantalizing India | 3 Dudes. 18 Days. Over 16000 Kms. | Aadil Bandukwala, Sameer Siddique & Ratheesh Kumar all set to create a World Record by Perimetering India in a Ford Endeavor
our intended route is NORTH–SOUTH EXPEDITION ROUTEMAP
Kanyakumari – Tirunelveli – Madurai – Dindigul – Salem – Dharmapuri (Tamil Nadu) – Bangalore – Anantapur (Karnataka) – Kurnool – Hyderabad (Andhra Pradesh) – Nizamabad – Adilabad – Nagpur (Maharashtra) – Seoni –Narasimhapur – Sagar – Lalitpur – Jhansi – Gwalior (Madhya Pradesh) – Agra – Mathura – (Uttar Pradesh) – Delhi (NCT) – Panipat – Ambala (Haryana) – Chandigarh (Chandigarh) – Bilaspur – Manali – Jispa (Himachal Pradesh) – Sarchu – Pang – Upshi – Leh (Jammu & Kashmir)

once we get to leh.we plan to explore leh then we move on to marsimik la which is at a height of arround 18600 feet almost 300ft higher than kardungla..

i would really help if you guys can help me with road conditions/tips etc and also most importantly need all the help i can get about marsimik la.....

cheers
Samsid is offline  
Old 15th September 2011, 01:55   #17
BHPian
 
shekaran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Puducherry
Posts: 244
Thanked: 63 Times
Default Re: kanyakumari to leh(in record time) and then the mighty marsimik la

the best, only answer to all your queries - contact HV kumar, the roaming encyclopedia of indian roads. if you are in facebook, you can also visit his forums dedicated to upto-date indian highway conditions.
Best of Luck for your Record.
Cheers.
shekaran is offline  
Old 15th September 2011, 04:05   #18
BHPian
 
absynthguzzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: hyderabad
Posts: 650
Thanked: 223 Times
Default Re: kanyakumari to leh(in record time) and then the mighty marsimik la

Quote:
presently hold the limca book of record for driving across india the fastest,we covered about 16000km in less than 17 days
Which year was this done in? The avg speed with 20hrs(if all 3 passengers took turns) driving for 17 days is like 48kmph. I guess u had to face some pretty bad roads or you can do it again and better your record before someone on the forum figures this out.

Once the GQ is done up in totality, 3 rounds ( think its some 5800kms) on it within 12 days should better this time .
absynthguzzler is offline  
Old 15th September 2011, 07:03   #19
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,601
Thanked: 3,451 Times
Default Re: kanyakumari to leh(in record time) and then the mighty marsimik la

Have you guys stopped to consider that maybe May was actually the best season to attempt it? Ofc, the endeavor will blitz through no doubt.

and I would honestly suggest that you take half the effort of the blog you've created and look up stuff on the site or indiahighways archive. Its mostly already available. Just search.

EDIT: What I LOVE about your site is that its an unabashed out and out record attempt. No trying to save the tigers, not educating ladakhis about HIV, no other farcical/dubious charity endeavor. Just a bunch of dudes. And a crazy idea. I LIKE THAT HONESTY!

Last edited by phamilyman : 15th September 2011 at 07:05.
phamilyman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2011, 09:04   #20
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 123
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: kanyakumari to leh(in record time) and then the mighty marsimik la

Waw - that's my dream drive and will do the drive sometime.

Below are the potential points which would slow down and suggest planning for it:
  1. City traffic - specially in Bangalore and to some extent in Hyd. Basically look at bypassing the cities. HVK has written how to bypass the Bangalore traffic so that you can take a diversion at Atibele and get to Devanahally so that you avoid the city.
  1. Food - Get a list of all the places on the left side where you can potentially take a break

I request experts to comment on 2 things:
  • Considering that in Hyd the Narsingi to Pathancheru ORR is open, will going to Solapur and then getting onto Bombay Delhi GQ
    GQ
  • Bangalore , Bombay, Delhi GQ

The above could be longer but will it save drive time as the target is fast drive and record?
prabingade is offline  
Old 15th September 2011, 10:07   #21
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 223
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: kanyakumari to leh(in record time) and then the mighty marsimik la

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsid View Post
our intended route is NORTH–SOUTH EXPEDITION ROUTEMAP
Kanyakumari – Tirunelveli – Madurai – Dindigul – Salem – Dharmapuri (Tamil Nadu) – Bangalore – Anantapur (Karnataka) – Kurnool – Hyderabad (Andhra Pradesh) – Nizamabad – Adilabad – Nagpur (Maharashtra) – Seoni –Narasimhapur – Sagar – Lalitpur – Jhansi – Gwalior (Madhya Pradesh) – Agra – Mathura – (Uttar Pradesh) – Delhi (NCT) – Panipat – Ambala (Haryana) – Chandigarh (Chandigarh) – Bilaspur – Manali – Jispa (Himachal Pradesh) – Sarchu – Pang – Upshi – Leh (Jammu & Kashmir)

cheers
Kanyakumari to Manali - the route you picked up is a standard road. 90% of the route is good condition.
Happy vacation
contactme27 is offline  
Old 15th September 2011, 10:42   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default Re: kanyakumari to leh(in record time) and then the mighty marsimik la

The Laknadon-Sagar-Jhansi-Gwalior road is in terrible condition now, will break your speed.
The Panipat-Ambala section is being widened and if you go by day time, you could be reduced to a crawl in certain sections, advisable to plan this sector by night.
Rohtang Pass in Manali is in a mess, with restrictions on driving across it. Expect huge delays and worse, land slide dislocations. Further, you have to obtain a permit to cross Rohtang Pass which is issued only in a Govt office during Govt "work" timings on working days, hence you may have to contact some travel agent to procure it in advance so you do not waste more time.
Why don't you extend your drive to Turtuk so that you can drive from the southernmost point in India (KK) to the northernmost point in India, which will be an unique record. Turtuk means you will have to get yourselves permits for Khardung la-Hunder-Turtuk, through a travel agent in Leh in advance.
BTW, I did Kashmir 2 Kanyakumari (Srinagar-KK) in the year 2002 in my Matiz solo in 4 days.
hvkumar is offline  
Old 15th September 2011, 10:52   #23
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 6
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekaran View Post
the best, only answer to all your queries - contact HV kumar, the roaming encyclopedia of indian roads. if you are in facebook, you can also visit his forums dedicated to upto-date indian highway conditions.
Best of Luck for your Record.
Cheers.
Thanks Shekar,I have read most of hvk forums,he truly is an encylipedia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
Which year was this done in? The avg speed with 20hrs(if all 3 passengers took turns) driving for 17 days is like 48kmph. I guess u had to face some pretty bad roads or you can do it again and better your record before someone on the forum figures this out.

Once the GQ is done up in totality, 3 rounds ( think its some 5800kms) on it within 12 days should better this time .
This was done in July last year, we were just 2 drivers who drive the entire distance,the roads extremely bad in east India around Manipur and Assam,encounterd heavy rains here,Also the route we followed did not took us only for a little while on the gq..since the route Map us given by limca and you have visit every state capital in India it takes it's toll...
All the best to any one who wants to break it.it it was really tough for me,I don't think Im ready to do the all India drive again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Have you guys stopped to consider that maybe May was actually the best season to attempt it? Ofc, the endeavor will blitz through no doubt.

and I would honestly suggest that you take half the effort of the blog you've created and look up stuff on the site or indiahighways archive. Its mostly already available. Just search.

EDIT: What I LOVE about your site is that its an unabashed out and out record attempt. No trying to save the tigers, not educating ladakhis about HIV, no other farcical/dubious charity endeavor. Just a bunch of dudes. And a crazy idea. I LIKE THAT HONESTY!

Firstly thank you for your honest opinion,
I know this is not the best season to do this record because of monsoons and road conditions in rothang,but this is the only leave I have so I would attempt it,in the end we wanna have fun.
We have made the effort and are pretty aware if most road conditions and routes,have posted this for some real time information.
Thanks again

pravingade@.
Let's hope u accomplish your dream soon,
Thanks for the tip in avoiding traffic,I live in Bangalore so I know how messed up the traffic around there is,
I was also wondering If i should use the Blr-Bom-del route,was awaiting expert opinion.
Thanks again

Last edited by Jaggu : 15th September 2011 at 11:27. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote (Quote+) instead. Thanks
Samsid is offline  
Old 15th September 2011, 11:29   #24
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 6
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Contact me27@. My main concern is the Nagpur-Jhansi route and rothang pass

Hvk@ thank you for your valuable input..I have read quite a lot if your travels and yes i am aware of your journey from srinigar to kk
I read about the road condition in rothang and about the permit,I have arranged fir some one to get me a permit as I reach there,
Turtuk is a great idea,will include it in my plan,also I'm aware if the permits,
The most important question from me to you-is since the Laknadon-Sagar-Jhansi-Gwalior road is bad,woul it be better to go via the Bhopal route,
Also do you think the Blr-Bom-del route would be faster.
Thanks again

absynthguzzler: very well calculated and quoted my freind. Have you ever driven to the north and eastern parts of india. Pls have a look at you tube atleast for the road conditons. Its not like going from begumpet to the airport. ;-0

Last edited by Jaggu : 15th September 2011 at 12:20. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote (Quote+) instead. Thanks
Samsid is offline  
Old 16th September 2011, 12:07   #25
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sudev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,510
Thanked: 2,385 Times
Default Re: Kanyakumari-Leh "Cannonball Run"-

Why not look at route via Srinagar? More reliable though a bit longer. ZojiLa is the only bottle neck but with a bit of planning you can hit it at right time
sudev is offline  
Old 16th September 2011, 12:22   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,992
Thanked: 356 Times
Default Re: Kanyakumari-Leh "Cannonball Run"-

All the best Samsid for your record breaking attempt. A lot of avg speed will depend upon the vehicle you are driving. So which one is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsid View Post
absynthguzzler: very well calculated and quoted my freind. Have you ever driven to the north and eastern parts of india. Pls have a look at you tube atleast for the road conditons. Its not like going from begumpet to the airport. ;-0
Oh he has driven to NE. Used to be based in Arunachal earlier and now posted in Coal Country in Chattisgarh.

Check this out http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...eet-party.html (AP to AP: In search of a white X-mas and found a street party!)
MileCruncher is offline  
Old 17th September 2011, 00:46   #27
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 6
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Kanyakumari-Leh "Cannonball Run"-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
All the best Samsid for your record breaking attempt. A lot of avg speed will depend upon the vehicle you are driving. So which one is it?


Oh he has driven to NE. Used to be based in Arunachal earlier and now posted in Coal Country in Chattisgarh.

Check this out http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...eet-party.html (AP to AP: In search of a white X-mas and found a street party!)
Thanks milecruncher.I drive a ford endeavor,I'm totally confused in which route to take,I knw that Till Nagpur the road is great,ivtravelled the ns corridor once three years back and the road condition were horrible,
I'm very concerned on the Nagpur-Jhansi-Gwalior route should I take this route or the other one via Bhopal
Also do you think that the Blr-bom-del would be faster....
Samsid is offline  
Old 17th September 2011, 09:19   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,992
Thanked: 356 Times
Default Re: Kanyakumari-Leh "Cannonball Run"-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsid View Post
Thanks milecruncher.I drive a ford endeavor,I'm totally confused in which route to take,I knw that Till Nagpur the road is great,ivtravelled the ns corridor once three years back and the road condition were horrible,
I'm very concerned on the Nagpur-Jhansi-Gwalior route should I take this route or the other one via Bhopal
Also do you think that the Blr-bom-del would be faster....
Firstly do not take the Nagpur - Seoni - Sagar - Lalitpur - Jhansi - Gwalior. Even I travelled the N-S corridor 3 years back and the roads were horrible. Travelogue and road condition here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...abad-trip.html (Delhi - Hyderabad Trip)

Then did the Hyd - Delhi as part of my Leh trip through Hyd - Nagpur - Betul - Bhopal - Gwalior - Delhi and it was ok. Report here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post1513180 (Leh'd and Back from Hyderabad: The 18 Day, 7804 Km Saga)

Since time is of the essence here, I would suggest Bangalore - Bombay - Delhi. You can expect the following doable timings:

Bangalore - Bombay - 12 Hours
Bombay - Delhi - 20 Hours.

Don't expect these times on the N-S or modified N-S route.

Cheers
MileCruncher is offline  
Old 17th September 2011, 09:42   #29
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 6
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Kanyakumari-Leh "Cannonball Run"-

Thank you very much mate...appreciate the help.....
Samsid is offline  
Old 23rd September 2011, 16:12   #30
BHPian
 
SAHIR.KITTUR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Belgaum / Doha
Posts: 290
Thanked: 72 Times
Default Re: Kanyakumari-Leh "Cannonball Run"-

I had covered you guy last time,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...s-18-days.html (Tantalizing India. 3 Dudes, 16000 kms, 18 Days)

Have Fun.
SAHIR.KITTUR is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road SS-Traveller 4x4 Excursions 55 10th November 2016 22:56
Turtuk-Kanyakumari Solo Speed Run [9595Km] 12 days- NihilisticLogic Travelogues 37 12th August 2010 16:41
Cannonball run agentsmith Int'l Motorsport 4 6th November 2007 12:16
Gumball 3000 or Cannonball videos torqueunlimited Shifting gears 2 14th February 2006 04:46


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:43.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks