Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 22nd June 2010, 11:17   #1
BHPian

Arrow 5 days in Ladakh - places to see

Hi all

We are planing to go on a 5-day trip to Leh-Ladakh between Aug 29 to Sep 03. Since there are so many conflicting opinions on the must-see places, would like to get the advice of the many TBhpians who have been there.

Would like to focus on natural scenery and being away from the crowd, however, we are a family of 2 men and 2 women so we cant be extremely adventurous.

Also, since most of the travelogues are of people reaching by car/bike, was not able to get some info that we, who are reaching Leh via flight would need.

Stay - booking required? Any recommended places to stay? (not very expensive but decent and clean)
Transport - heard that there is a taxi union, does it mean that we need not book in advance?
Permits - how long does it take?

I know that 4.5 days is a bit too short but unfortunately, that's all the times we can spare.

Will be all ears...
Proxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 16:57   #2
BHPian

Friends, I'm counting on your help to come up with an itinerary.
Proxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 17:30   #3
BHPian

Proxima,

Few places to visit in Ladakh are

1) Pangong Tso
2) Khardung La & Nubra Valley
3) Tso Moriri
4) Zanskar Valley
5) Local sight seeing. Monasteries like Thiksey, Hemis. Leh Palace, Shanti Stupa etc

5 days is way too less to see Ladakh. Maybe you can go to Pangong & Nubra Valley/Tso Moriri.

Pangong Tso (Lake) is around 160-17 km from Leh (4-5 hours drive). Day visit possible. Rates range between 5k-6.5k for Sumo/Qualis

Nubra Valley - Day visit possible. You cross Khardung La (Pass) on the way to Nubra Valley. Taxi rates - 6-7k.

Stay options are aplenty there. Prior booking might be required this year since there is a lot of tourist influx.

Will leave it for the experts to add more.

Cheers
Lloyd
lloydofcochin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 18:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

This is a thread running of a person flying into Leh.It should give you a fair idea of what to do there http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...-srinagar.html (Suggestions needed on Leh- Kargil- Srinagar)
ranjitp1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2010, 16:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
I know that 4.5 days is a bit too short but unfortunately, that's all the times we can spare.
You are flying in & that normally requires you to be spending more time on acclimatising than people who drive in. Unfortunately, you don't have the time! Permits can be obtained in half a day but you'd need to rest on your day of arrival. Hence, I would suggest you ask the Hotel that you will be staying in to get them done for you. May cost a few hundred Rs more but it will save you valuable time. Here's what I'd suggest in 4.5 days (I presume you are flying in from Delhi) -

Day One - Fly in. Rest. Shanti Stupa in the evening
Day Two - Local Sightseeing: Leh Palace, Thiksey Monastery, Nimmu (Confluence of two rivers, though in the other direction)
Day Three - Leh-Pangong Tso-Leh
Day Four - Leh-Khardung La-Nubra Valley
Day Five - Nubra Valley-Leh; shopping etc
Day Six - Fly out

That's all I can think of. Have fun. And yes, do take the advice for "Rest" on the first day seriously. Could end up with serious AMS issues otherwise.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2010, 18:50   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
That's all I can think of. Have fun. And yes, do take the advice for "Rest" on the first day seriously. Could end up with serious AMS issues otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
5-day trip... between Aug 29 to Sep 03.

Would like to focus on natural scenery and being away from the crowd, ... cant be extremely adventurous.

Stay - recommended places to stay?
Transport - heard that there is a taxi union, does it mean that we need not book in advance?
Permits - how long does it take?

I know that 4.5 days is a bit too short but unfortunately, that's all the times we can spare....
Well. Atleast you're clear that 4.5 days is too short! But then,it's something And wouldnt Aug 29 to Sept 3rd make it a 6 day trip? or that is from your home to home plan?

To start with, am presuming that you're reaching on 29th Aug. Which happens to be a Sunday. So no permits. Which means that if you're planning on doing it yourself, then some part of Monday also will be going for a toss!!

Plan accordingly - either get a agent to do it beforehand or plan your stay accordingly.

Also, ( thinking that) you'll be visiting Ladakh for the 1st time, would recommend that you visit all the famous places ( touristy to some extent) and then plan for a 2nd trip for out of the touristy circuit places.

Aug / Sept is generally the end of tourist season and you shouldnt have too much of a problem finding hotels.

I'd recommend - Hotel Khayul, Old Road, Nr. Leh Public School. Decent Clean Rooms + Running Hot Water and a good garden to relax. Around 300Rs.

Changspa area also has good hotels which have come up recently.

I'll search and provide the number of the taxi union.

If you arrive early in the morning, would recommend that you acclimatise first. Stay at the hotel till evening. Sleep a lot. Also, consume a lot of water ( thereby resulting that you urinate a lot) and that in turn regulates your blood pressure and helps your body adapt to the new environment.

Go for a small walk in the evening. Whatever, but DONT exert yourself on the 1st day. Visit Shanti Stupa ( dont climb the stairs )

Day 2 - All the monastries + confluence + gurudwara + leh palace
Day 3 - Start Early - Nubra - Hunder / Diskit ( and come back to Leh).

Some taxis do come back on the same day and some prefer to stay overnight. Ask around.

Day 4 - Leh - Chang La - P-Tso - Leh

My recommendation for Day 5 would include some of the out of the way places.
Day 5 - Leh - Mahe Bridge - Nyoma - or even Loma Post - turn back - Mahe bridge - Tso-Moriri - Tso Kar - Tanglang La - Leh (This way, you'll also cover Tanglang La Pass.) OR Tsomoriri - Mahe Bridge - Leh. (by which you miss out on Tso Kar, but save on time)

It'll be a amazingly long day but then it'll be worth it. The road from Mahe bridge to Loma is breathtaking for it's visual splendour and best part is that NONE of the tourists venture that side!! Trust Me. ( PM me if you want to see the pics of the route). You'll get to see the real beauty of Ladakh.

Day 6 - if you have the luxury. Local sightseeing ityaadi.

Hope that helps. And as Suman has rightly pointed out, do take the rest part very seriously.

Last edited by Bapu : 24th June 2010 at 18:55.
Bapu is offline   Reply With Quote