Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Closed Thread

Old 4th August 2010, 13:24   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hridayjyoti View Post
Dates are almost finalized; we are going to do it from 4th to 14th September, 2010. 3 friends together, anyone can fit into driving seat. Itinerary also changed, not going to Srinagar, due to the current disturbances; we don’t want to take risk. Rather we will go to Sonmarg and come back. Here is the new itinerary:
Day1: Gurgaon to Manali
Day2: Manali to Sarchu
Day3: Sarchu to Leh.
Day4: Leh - Sonmarg
Day5: Sonmarg to Leh
Day6: Leh – Nubra Valley
Day7: Nubra Valley – Pangong Tso - Leh
Day8: Leh to Tso Moriri
Day9: Tso Moriri – Tso Kar - Jispa
Day10: Jispa – Kullu
Day11: Kullu – Delhi

Asking for few suggestions as always:
a) Don’t want to stay in Manali. Is there any accommodation beyond Manali nearer to Rohtang?
b) Is it worth to go to Sonmarg or we should come back from Drass?

Cheers!!
Hriday
No use of doing Leh - Sonmarg.
It will be an un-necessary wastage of time.
Old 4th August 2010, 13:44   #17
BHPian

Thanks guys,

After getting your feedback, I am dropping the plan to Sonmarg. Rather, I will do a day trip Alchi and get back. I guess in month of September Ladakh festival is on! Any one has any little detailed idea about it?

New itinerary:
Day1: Gurgaon to Manali
Day2: Manali to Sarchu
Day3: Sarchu to Leh.
Day4: Leh-Alchi-Leh
Day5: Leh – Nubra Valley
Day6: Nubra Valley – Pangong Tso (via Wari La)/ Nubra-Leh-Pangong
Day7: Pangong Tso - Leh
Day8: Leh to Tso Moriri
Day9: Tso Moriri – Tso Kar - Jispa
Day10: Jispa – Kullu
Day11: Kullu – Delhi

@tanveer: We would be leaving Gurgaon around 2-3am and will try at chandigarh by 7am and manali by afternoon. How far is khoksar from manali in kms/time?

@lordofgondor: I am already thinking of taking 2 spare tyres. Regarding getting tyre slimed, I would like to do so. But problem is that I am out of Gurgaon for the whole August month. Do anybody has a idea where I can get my tyre slimmed in Gurgaon?

Few basic equipment planning to carry along;
1. Jerry Cans (20+10litre)
2. 2 Spare tyres
3. Water bucket (in case I need wash my windscreen)
4. Electric Jack (not sure)
5. Electric Inflator
6. Puncture kits
7. Toe wire

Please let me know if I am missing something.
Old 4th August 2010, 14:35   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The fastest itenary I can think for you
1. Gurgaon - Anandpur Sahib area. Start around 4pm, you will reach somewhere near Swarghat/Bilaspur around 11pm. There is a HPTDC there. Book in advance.
2. Bilaspur - Keylong - Start around 8am from Bilaspur. You will be in Keylong by night
3. Keylong - Leh - A 14 hour drive, but then other option is sarchu, which has only tents, and believe me, it gets awefully uncomfortable at 4000m above sea level. Even after few days at that altitude, we were somewhat uncomfortable at night with mild headache etc., at Hanle, even though we had a good heated room
4. Leh rest day - Get permits yourself. It takes 30 minutes(go at 10am), and you will save money
5. Leh - Nubra (You can see panamik(I think its overrated) and diskit dunes easily
7. Go to Pangong Tso - Ask local taxis for inputs on Wari La and Agam route. Most probably wari la should be doable. Or you can play it safe, start from diskit at 7am, reach leh by 12pm, and then reach pangong around 6-7pm
8. Pangong - Leh
9. you can rest, its optional though
10. Leh Tso moriri - doable, but remember, last 20kms are sandy. you can get stuck.
11. Tso moriri - Tso Kar - Sarchu
12. Sarchu - Start early morning and hit kullu instead of manali
13. Kullu/Manali - Gurgaon

I reckon you have 2 weeks leave, right?
You get me shocked with 13days itinerary! It's actually 12 days, you missed the day 6. It sounds good. Personally, I don't like the afternoon traffic in NCR, that's why we are trying to leave Delhi before local traffic wakes up. About staying at sarchu, yeah, it's been a concern going through my mind. Will take a call on it. Yep, it's better to leaving kashmir for this time.

Regarding leaves, it's not a issue for me. I can easily manage 3-4weeks, but one of us needs to leave for field duty on 15th Sept. So, we are taking everything in rush. We also can't pro-pond as I would busy till 2nd Sept. So, trying to fit into it.
Old 4th August 2010, 16:19   #19
MX6
Senior - BHPian

I remember Ramkya posting that electric pumps weren't working at that high altitude. Check with him.
Old 4th August 2010, 16:44   #20
Team-BHP Support

Khoksar to manali is less than 100kms, but at noon, there is usually a big jam at rohtang.
However, if you have multiple drivers, you will hit manali around 2pm(if you start at 2am).
From there, if you attempt khoksar after having a quick lunch, you will reach in 5-6 hours inspite of jams.
Old 4th August 2010, 17:10   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
I remember Ramkya posting that electric pumps weren't working at that high altitude. Check with him.
Thanks for kind information, MX6. I will surely send a mail to Ramkya to get in detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Khoksar to manali is less than 100kms, but at noon, there is usually a big jam at rohtang.
However, if you have multiple drivers, you will hit manali around 2pm(if you start at 2am).
From there, if you attempt khoksar after having a quick lunch, you will reach in 5-6 hours inspite of jams.
All 3 of us going to share the driving. still khoskar will be too much for the starting day. manali around ~550kms+ 100kms to khoskar. 20hrs inside a car will be too much. i guess, manali will the best choice for first day stay.
Old 4th August 2010, 17:47   #22
Team-BHP Support

In that case you can drive around 10kms more to Kothi/Palchan area. there are a few hotels there and you should get one for around 1000-1500rs.
It will help you get a lead on the tourist traffic to rohtang, and you will reach keylong in 5-6 hours, and you can rest there, or continue to sarchu if you are upto it.
Old 9th August 2010, 18:11   #23
BHPian

Default Plan on hold & looking for alternate!

I pray for all those leaving souls to rest in peace in Leh tragedy and hope for the best for all those who are still stranded there.

Thanks guys for all your help. But, considering the current situation it is very unlikely that I will be able to do this year. Hope to make it happen next year! Can't let all the gathered information go in vain.

Personally, I am little frustrated now. In the last one month it is the second trip that has been spoiled due to rain. Last month, I missed the train due heavy rain and traffic jam in delhi and trekking to Valley of Flowers was gone on hold. Desperately I am looking for an alternate plan now, say for 3-5days long!

Again, please suggest some. Preferably hill station.
Old 9th August 2010, 21:15   #24
BHPian

My wife & I did Ladakh from Bangalore, last month in a Getz. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ia-ladakh.html (Bangalore to Sakleshpur via LADAKH!!!)
Should give you a better picture.If you have any specific query, i'll be glad to answer.
Old 9th August 2010, 21:36   #25
BHPian

Hi Chandan,

Thanks for your reply and link. That's a nice travelogue. I missed that somehow. Really like way your wife described it, putting altitude against all the places. Also hates off to your courage, that stream crossing indeed scary. And awesome photos too. it will be unfair to describe it as ladakh tour! taking the hot souring sun to chilled ice... I am floored!

But, looking into the scenario after the flash flood, i wonder the worth how fruitful it will be. after looking into the post on effect of leh i got very much shuttered.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-travel-experiences/86692-leh-cloud-burst-flash-floods-kill-44-leh-completely-cut-off-4.html

that is why I am looking for a alternate to console myself!

Cheers!
Old 9th August 2010, 21:54   #26
BHPian

Don't give up so soon. I am also planning to be there at the same time and dates you have mentioned above. While I have kept a hawk eye on the status, my plan is to keep pushing and go for it. Worst case scenario (as HVK mentioned) I will cover the HP (Spiti) and UK and drive back.

Taking Rajiv's advice, stock a lot of food and keep all options open. I am in my Swift.

Vinay who is there now and stuck is planning to take a flight back and ship his car.

Souvik
Old 9th August 2010, 22:10   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souvik View Post
Don't give up so soon. I am also planning to be there at the same time and dates you have mentioned above. While I have kept a hawk eye on the status, my plan is to keep pushing and go for it. Worst case scenario (as HVK mentioned) I will cover the HP (Spiti) and UK and drive back.
That's real treat to boost my enthusiasm. Tell you what, though the situation heavier on the other side, I am still very keen to do this. But, there are some issues that pop up when you live in a corporate world. I don't have any issues with my leaves, but the other persons who would be travelling with be have to apply for leave in earlier. I am sure you can understand the importance of leave management. Literally, I am out of partner to take the risk of playing it to the last minute.

Feeling inside "On a lighter side": Bachelor's life is great no doubt! But, sometimes loneliness kills! when you don't find a partner for a long adventurous trip!!! hehehe...

Taking your words I would try to convince my friends. Lets give a try!
Old 10th August 2010, 13:21   #28
BHPian

Completely understand. We had blocked leaves 12 months in advance and planning this trip for an year. We understand that the situation is grim, but never give up. We do not know if we will get this kind of leave later. Let us try and if we cannot, we always will have alternate options.

All the best and hope you are successful to convince your friends.

Souvik
Closed Thread