Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 31st October 2014, 16:04   #76
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Chennai to Goa by Road in late Nov 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viswam View Post
Hi guys,
I intend to take up a road trip from Chennai to Goa in my Maruti Ertiga with wifey (i will do the driving) during end Nov 2014. I have done quite a few shuttles to Bangalore but nothing to Goa yet. I am interested in knowing the best route, preferred halts, veg food, halt if required, etc.

While the onward journey is partly time-bound (to reach Goa by 1600 hrs on a Thursday), halts en route can be taken on the return journey over the weekend. I am also open to taking different routes for both the segments.

Since I am clueless in this road segment, I request you guys to suggest timings, possible routes with important/interesting places to visit, food and halting places, etc.

The last thread in this sector is pretty old and may not reflect the present road/stay conditions. Hence, this request.

Thanks in anticipation.

Viswam
Chennai-Blr 5 hrs

Blr-Goa 10-12hrs

Your ideal midway break can be Hubli which should be around 12hrs from Chennai.PLenty of hotels in Hubli.Gateway,Metropole etc.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2014, 16:20   #77
Team-BHP Support

If morning start is what OP is looking at, then the best is as Ranjit said. Drive till Hubli on Day 1. Start by 3:30/4AM would be much better. That would allow you to get past Bangalore before the morning rush.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2014, 17:37   #78
BHPian

Oops. Looks like I omitted an important part of my reply here. Reach Hubli for the first day and halt there at some hotel. Goa takes a further 4-5 hours from Hubli anyway should be ideal for a 8-830am start and reaching Goa by the intended 1600 hrs.

The drive is almost 950-1000 kms. I personally wouldn't suggest doing the whole drive in 1 day with one person driving especially when the final part is going to be two lane roads and at night.

Since @ampere has already commented, any suggestions for a hotel for the night at Hubli for the OP?

Last edited by sswaroop : 31st October 2014 at 17:38.
sswaroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2014, 17:47   #79
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswaroop View Post
Since @ampere has already commented, any suggestions for a hotel for the night at Hubli for the OP?
Ranjit answered that. Taj Gateway, Clarks Inn, Metropole etc are some of the places.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2014, 08:45   #80
BHPian

I drove from Chennai to Goa a few months back, did it alone so had to do it in 2 days and had an over night stop at Bangalore.

I'd suggest taking the Chorla ghat as it is usually better than the others. Avoid the Ghats at night or drive very cautiously at the sharp bend and blind spots as Buses and trucks cut corners.
Dee_aRe_Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2014, 22:44   #81
BHPian

Default Re: Chennai to Goa - Road Trip : Route Info Needed

Hello everyone
I plan to drive to Goa for the Sunburn festival. I have done the route twice before. Could somebody advise me on the condition of the route. Any work or deviation in progress.
Thanks in advance
E90-E250 is offline   Reply With Quote