Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 20th July 2010, 22:51   #46
Team-BHP Support

Beautiful roads! Are there any resorts around this place?
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 22:51   #47
BHPian

Wow! Wow! Great pictures! I guess monsoon is the right time to do this stretch. This is another of those less-talked about stretches, but going by your snaps, its surely worth the effort!

Cant wait to see more!

btw, thanks jeevmenon, will update once I complete the trip.
Bigzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 00:34   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post
Any idea what are the uses of Eenth (below)? Wifey says - dry powder dumplings of the same with the kadala (Bengal gram) makes a meal in itself. Is the rippened fruit edible just like dates? The tree is from the date family. Correct?

Attachment 390262
Yes she is right. I remember my grandmother making some delicacies with the 'eenth' fruit a very very long time ago (4 to 5 decades ). I don't recall ever eating it by itself as a fruit though, and this article that I found on the web suggests it may not be palatable without proper cooking .

http://www.cycad.org/grants/2008/TCN...m-the-wild.pdf
kala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 23:06   #49
BHPian

At 12:54 pm we reach Mukkali. Sairandhri is 29 km from here and I believe is the starting pt into the Silent Valley.
Coimbatore to Calicut-sairanthricutting1.jpg
Coimbatore to Calicut-sairanthricutting2.jpg
Coimbatore to Calicut-sairanthricutting3.jpg

10 minutes further down we see a river flowing in the valley and there was a small pumping house on the river. Nice location.
Coimbatore to Calicut-watertank1.jpg
Coimbatore to Calicut-watertank2.jpg
Coimbatore to Calicut-watertank3.jpg

Further at 1:25 PM milestone 23 km from Annakatti (the border town) and 7 km from Agali, the last panchayat in Kerala and a tribal populated one where quite some dev schemes are implemented I heard.

Coimbatore to Calicut-23toanakkaty1325.jpg
Coimbatore to Calicut-23toanakkaty13252.jpg
Coimbatore to Calicut-23toanakkaty13253.jpg
Coimbatore to Calicut-22toanakkaty1330.jpg

15 km from Annakatti at 1:40 pm:
Coimbatore to Calicut-15toanakkaty1344.jpg
Coimbatore to Calicut-15toanakkaty13442.jpg

We are getting hungry now. What to do? Go all the way to Coimbatore and eat at a restaurant there or try and see if we can eat at Agali. Will there be a good hotel at Agali. And as we were contemplating (we had some biscuits en-route near Mukkali) guess what we see on the roadside...

Coimbatore to Calicut-vazhiyoramagali5.jpg
Coimbatore to Calicut-vazhiyoramagali6.jpg
Coimbatore to Calicut-vazhiyoramagali1.jpg
Coimbatore to Calicut-vazhiyoramagali2.jpg
Coimbatore to Calicut-vazhiyoramagali3.jpg
Coimbatore to Calicut-vazhiyoramagali4.jpg

One more Vazhiyoram. Excellent. This was a smaller place than the one we had gone to that morning and it was very windy here and along the route we had seen lots of Suzlon windmills - it was educative for the 6 yr old.

We asked one of the 2 waiters as to what he could serve us and he said Biriyani. I asked what did they have for a vegetarian (mom and for recently veg converted Dad) and he said veg fried rice. Cool! 2 Biriyanis, 2 fried rice, Kutti would be sharing the veg fried rice (a vegetarian for this meal :-)) Half-plates of Gobi-manchurian and Gobi-65 to go with them. They had asked if we needed 1/4 plate but it was 2:00 pm and I was damn hungry!! Rs 400/- It was pretty good stuff and large portions of all the items. All in all satisfied - better than the vatha-kulamb/thayar-sadam/ meals in CBE.

We left this place at 2:45 pm. 14 km to go to the border.
Coimbatore to Calicut-agalianakkati.jpg

In the last few km in Kerala we saw a few TN style houses, some big horse statues and couple of moustache God statues Mahamuni and Mandhiramuni, couple of police statues and a villager in white-dhoti statue - very typical TN style. Also there were many banana plantations used purely for business purposes and all its leaves were torn due to the heavy wind. Nice site!
Finally at 3:00 pm we were at the border at Annakatti and a small bridge separating the two states.

Coimbatore to Calicut-keralatnborderatanakkati.jpg
jeevmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 23:15   #50
Senior - BHPian

Great drive! Roads look splendid. How much distance was the full circuit: Mannarkad-Mukkali-Agali-Anakatti?

Vazhiyoram is at Agali?

Where were the checkposts, what time restrictions? Amy wildlife sighting opportunities?

And the road to Sairandhri - do you turn off at Mukkali?

Did you see the road branching off from Agali to Manjoor (near Conoor, alternative road to Nilgiris)?
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 23:34   #51
BHPian

Mannarkad-CBE was 91 when I checked the ODO at home. Mannarkad-Palakkad is 41. Palakkad-CBE = 50. So either way it would come to 91 km from Mannarkad to Coimbatore. From Anakkati to CBE was 30 km. So it would be around 60 km from Mannarkad to Anakkati.

Vazhiyoram is exactly at 14 km before reaching the Anakatti border. I asked the hotel manager if this is Agali and he said the entire area was called Agali.

Checkposts - There was a Excise check post at Anakatti. There was one at the beginning just after entering the Mannarkad-Mukkali road. There is a very clear road going left from the NH just after Mannarkad town. Did not enquire time? Damn! I should have.

Yes. Turn left from Mukkali for Sairandhri.

I did not see any Manjoor diversion. Hmm... Had I known that there is something of that sort I would have looked out for it.

Roads were good most of the time. Only at the beginning climb the tar was broken and rain-water-fed. But not much to complain.
Old 21st July 2010, 23:51   #52
BHPian

Oh! And at the Anakatti CP, the mallu officer said that if we take a right just at the CP it would take us to a place called Sholayur (12km?). Nice scenic area. But we were so tired we wanted to reach home and so we proceeded straight from the CP. He said CBE was 30 km from the CP.

Some photos enroute to Mankarai/Thadagam road till we joined the NH67 - MTP Road.
Coimbatore to Calicut-tn1.jpg
Coimbatore to Calicut-tn2.jpg
Coimbatore to Calicut-tn3.jpg
Coimbatore to Calicut-tn4.jpg
Coimbatore to Calicut-tn5.jpg
Coimbatore to Calicut-tn6.jpg
Coimbatore to Calicut-tn7.jpg

Finally that night we had the Alleppey Express train from Podanur to Chennai at 10:05 pm.

Coimbatore to Calicut-tn8podanur.jpg

We reached at 6:00 am sharp on Monday morning and still have the hangover of the excellent 2 day short and sweet trip!!

Now planning for the next one...
Old 22nd July 2010, 09:21   #53
BHPian

The loop: (Note: made up the Attapadi-Agali sections - not available on Google maps)

Coimbatore to Calicut-july171820101.jpg
Old 22nd July 2010, 10:22   #54
Team-BHP Support

Road looks beautiful and nice drive you must have had! I enjoyed it very much (though not as much as you might have had!).

How easy it is to get on to the SH164 (Mannarkkad road) from CBE? Or rather how is easy/difficult is it to find this road, if one enters from Salem from NH47?
Old 22nd July 2010, 15:26   #55
BHPian

I would say go all the way into Coimbatore on the NH47. Except for 40 km of single-lane road before the V fork (left going to Palakkad, right into CBE city) the road is 4 -laned from chennai/Blr. Get into the CBE city road - which is 6 lanes infact. This road is the Avinashi road and after the World Tamil Conference all CBE roads have become excellent. So, take this 19 km road and you will reach whats called a "Melpaalam" - an elevated round-tana, go around it, take half-a-circle and get down Sukrawarpet mill road, just follow it and it will take you to Annaikatti. Thats the best way to reach Annaikatti - the TN-KL border town.
Old 22nd July 2010, 16:14   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post
I would say go all the way into Coimbatore on the NH47. Except for 40 km of single-lane road before the V fork (left going to Palakkad, right into CBE city) the road is 4 -laned from chennai/Blr. Get into the CBE city road - which is 6 lanes infact. This road is the Avinashi road and after the World Tamil Conference all CBE roads have become excellent. So, take this 19 km road and you will reach whats called a "Melpaalam" - an elevated round-tana, go around it, take half-a-circle and get down Sukrawarpet mill road, just follow it and it will take you to Annaikatti. Thats the best way to reach Annaikatti - the TN-KL border town.
What jeevmenon means by "take half-a-circle and get down Sukrawarpet mill road" is that you keep going straight. Avinashi road blends into the Anakatti road. You will cross first Gandhi Park (very famous bus station in the city), and go via Thadagam (ask for it if you get lost) and via Mankarai Falls (good during the rainy season), you will reach Anaikatti.

Another way to reach this spot - if you are coming from Palakkad side or on Coimbatore bypass:
On the L&T bypass, turn towards Coimbatore city on the Pollachi road (the other side goes to Pollachi). You will hit the Palakkad highway circle, continue straight towards the locality called Ukkadam (bus stand on right side), plunge into the busy Oppanakara Street (one of the main markets in Coimbatore). The Oppanakara Street (don't try to pronounce it if you don't know Tamil!) ends in a T-Junction, where you take a left to reach Gandhi Park and beyond.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2010, 00:31   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Ooty to Gudalur very twisty roads but can be don in about an hour max. Give a total of 3 to 3.5 hours minimum.
Are you sure? Roads must have improved I suppose!
YaeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2010, 06:30   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
Are you sure? Roads must have improved I suppose!
Oh yes Ooty Gudalur was very-very good when I did this May. Very smooth roads. NH67 I detoriates after it
crosses TN borders (for a change!)

By the way the very nice NH67 between Ooty-Gudalur is also the same NH that services Karur-Trichy and Trichy-Tanjore sections;
which are one of the worst roads!
Old 15th April 2011, 08:49   #59
BANNED

Default re: Coimbatore to Calicut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
Palakkad/Walayar route is the best (good roads and shortest) to Calicut.

If you want to take the Ooty-Gudalur route, then there are two options.

Option1: Ooty - Gudalur (you can take either the Kalhatti route: take a right after crossing the HPF factory and the pine forests OR go straight and cross TR Bazaar and Naduvattam before Gudalur - NH67) - Nadugani - Devala - Panthalur - Cherambadi - Vaduvanchal - Meppadi - Chundale - Vythiri - Thamaraserry - Calicut bye-pass - Ramanattukara.
This is a looong route, but a scenic one until Vythiri.

Option 2: Ooty - Gudalur - Nadugani - Vazhikadavu - Nilambur - Edavanna - Manjeri - Kondotty - Ramanattukara.
This would be a shorter route.
Sir,
Which of the above is the better route from ooty to calicut.Road conditions and kms.
cheers
PRADEEP KUMAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 09:55   #60
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Coimbatore to Calicut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRADEEP KUMAR View Post
Sir,
Which of the above is the better route from ooty to calicut.Road conditions and kms.
cheers
The route via Nilabur/Manjeri is shorter as compared to Meppadi/Kalpetta. But I am not aware of the road conditions.