Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 15th April 2011, 15:26   #61
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Coimbatore to Calicut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRADEEP KUMAR View Post
Sir,
Which of the above is the better route from ooty to calicut.Road conditions and kms.
cheers
Go via Nilambur,roads are in very good condition

Ooty-Gudalur-Nadugani-Vazhikadavu-Nilambur-Manjeri-Kozhikode

Ghat section and real twisties begin as you begin your descent from Nadugani till Vazhikadavu.If you have motion sickness,I'd suggest take something for it.

From Vazhikadavu,traffic is dense and the road narrows down considerably.But overall no problems with the road and the route is pretty scenic as well.I did the Gudalur-Nilambur-Perinthalmana route last week.
ranjitp1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2011, 10:59   #62
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Go via Nilambur,roads are in very good condition

Ooty-Gudalur-Nadugani-Vazhikadavu-Nilambur-Manjeri-Kozhikode

Ghat section and real twisties begin as you begin your descent from Nadugani till Vazhikadavu.If you have motion sickness,I'd suggest take something for it.

From Vazhikadavu,traffic is dense and the road narrows down considerably.But overall no problems with the road and the route is pretty scenic as well.I did the Gudalur-Nilambur-Perinthalmana route last week.
What is the distance and how long would it take to reach calicut from ooty in this route?
To reach gudalur which route would you advise from ooty?

tx
PRADEEP KUMAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2011, 13:41   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRADEEP KUMAR View Post
What is the distance and how long would it take to reach calicut from ooty in this route?
To reach gudalur which route would you advise from ooty?

tx
From Ooty there is only one road that goes to Gudalur and it is well marked.Go past the Taj hotel and double decker petrol pump,you cant miss it,so do not worry about this part.

Ooty to Calicut should roughly take you about 4-5 hours.
ranjitp1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2013, 09:49   #64
BHPian

Has anybody been to a place called Devala near Gudalur. I am making a plan to stay in a resort called Amberina there -end of May? Any idea regarding the road condition from Gudalur to devala. Google maps show a deviation near Nadugani (the other branch going to Nilambur)
anupkma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2013, 10:22   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupkma View Post
Has anybody been to a place called Devala near Gudalur. I am making a plan to stay in a resort called Amberina there -end of May? Any idea regarding the road condition from Gudalur to devala. Google maps show a deviation near Nadugani (the other branch going to Nilambur)
This is the road to Meppadi. This would lead you further to Nh212 to either Kalpetta or Bathery. The road is narrow, but have heard it to be good.

But you have brilliant views of the tea estates along this road.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2013, 10:43   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupkma View Post
Excellent road.
Gudalur-Nadugani 11 kms-Devala 5 kms.
At Nadugani, the left road goes to Nilambur, straight continues to Cherambadi/Meppadi/Sultan battery - that is the road to take.
This is a TN village just before the KL border.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2014, 14:05   #67
BHPian

Default route from Coimbatore - Guruvayoor - Calicut

Team,

Long weekend is up and we are scheduled to be in guruvayoor by saturday evening. I have two queries as mentioned in the title -
  • First is on the route from CBE to Guruvayoor which I believe passes through Kudraan (not sure of spelling), and was wondering if the bad roads in this ghat like section has been corrected or if its a better idea to travel via Ottapalam where the last time I traveled the roads are much better ?
  • Second, from Guruvayoor to Calicut I tried google maps and its showing 3 options, option 1 is a direct route (Edapally - Panvel Hwy), option 2 (Thrissur - Kuttipuram Rd & then Edapally - Panvel), Option 3 (Kozhikode-Ferokh-Palakkad Hwy) - Any suggestions on which route is better ?
Thanks
RedRapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2014, 14:42   #68
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: route from Coimbatore - Guruvayoor - Calicut

1) Cbe/Gvr - the Kudiran route is ok now - meaning that the massive craters have been covered but... owing to the four-laning work many sections get pretty choked with traffic. Depends on the time of day you travel. Evenings esp late evenings can be pretty frustrating. On the other hand if you are taking the Ottapalam/Shornur route, you need not go all the way to Trichur and then turn. You can turn off at Wadakancherry and proceed to Guruvayur via Kunnamkulam.
https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/IC...9!2d10.6536639

2) From Guruvayur to Calicut, I would suggest you take the option 2 - a bit longer but a better one. Guruvayur-Kunnamkulam-Edappal-Kuttipuram-Valancherry-Kottakkal-Calicut.

Last edited by wilful : 27th March 2014 at 14:44.
wilful is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2014, 16:58   #69
Team-BHP Support

Use the below thread for all Kerala roads.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...erala-444.html (All Roads to Kerala)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRapid View Post
First is on the route from CBE to Guruvayoor which I believe passes through Kudraan (not sure of spelling), and was wondering if the bad roads in this ghat like section has been corrected or if its a better idea to travel via Ottapalam where the last time I traveled the roads are much better ?
Bangalore-Guruvayoor :

Bangalore-Salem-CBE Bypass-Pallakkad-Ottapalam-Shoranur-Kunnamkulam-Guruvayur

Quote:
Second, from Guruvayoor to Calicut I tried google maps and its showing 3 options, option 1 is a direct route (Edapally - Panvel Hwy), option 2 (Thrissur - Kuttipuram Rd & then Edapally - Panvel), Option 3 (Kozhikode-Ferokh-Palakkad Hwy) - Any suggestions on which route is better ?[/list]Thanks

Guruvayoor-Calicut:

Guruvayur-Kunnamkulam-Edappal-Kuttipuram-Kottakal-Calicut
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2014, 17:24   #70
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Bangalore-Salem-CBE Bypass-Pallakkad-Ottapalam-Shoranur-Kunnamkulam-Guruvayur
From Shoranur, I usually take the route via Kecheri to Guruvayur.
  • All the way fantastic roads
  • Less traffic, thus more relaxed drive
  • Hit KizhakkeNada, Guruvayur first
Coimbatore to Calicut-kecheri.png
M35 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2014, 17:34   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
From Shoranur, I usually take the route via Kecheri to Guruvayur.
Thats the route I too wanted to suggest too. But I am not sure if the OP would be able to follow that route. Hence suggested the safe option of Kunnamkulam.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote