Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 17th March 2013, 10:54   #61
BANNED

Default Re: Trip to Kerela

Firstly sorry for the spell mistakes was written thru mobile and didnt recheck them and thankyou for the corrections.
Didnt gave you the details of days to spend there, we have 9 nights and 10 days for the whole itenery.
What we are been suggested by most of the tour operators are
2 nights at kovalam
1 night at alleppey
1 night at kumarakom
1 night at thekkady
2 nights at munnar
1 night at cochin

Now aleppey and kumarakom are known for the backwaters and houseboats so shall we skip either of the place or shall take both of these.
Second have heard at khekkady the periyar lake is been closed and also wild life sanctuary, inputs for the same please.

Last edited by vijaythacker : 17th March 2013 at 10:55.
vijaythacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2013, 18:12   #62
BHPian

Default Re: Trip to Kerala

First of all please let us know the number of days you plan to spend there and the kind of holiday you would prefer - A beach/Hill station/Back water holiday ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaythacker View Post
2 nights at kovalam
I would suggest you stay away from kerala beaches for the simple reason that there is nothing awesome compared to Goa or Pondy. Plus It's ridiculously humid and you might get tired right from the start of the trip. Depending on our time of arrival you can stay in Trivandrum/Kovalam for a night.

Quote:
1 night at alleppey
1 night at kumarakom
Both have amazing backwaters and as you said you can skip either of them. My personal favorite is Alleppey. Take a 3 Bedroom house boat for all of you and one full night is more than enough.

Quote:
1 night at thekkady
2 nights at munnar
If you have enough number of days in your pocket then go as per the number of days mentioned in the quote.

Quote:
1 night at cochin
Stay in cochin preffered only to plan your trip back home.

NOT TO MISS places would be Aleppey/Kumarakom, Munnar, thekkadi and athirapally waterfalls. My valuable suggestion would be to spend some quality time at 2 or 3 places mentioned and not rushing around trying to cover maximum places during the hot summer.

PS: your planned visit to kerala is when the God's own country will see the thermometers hit the top lines, and not to mention that it'll be terribly humid !
sajusherief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2013, 20:10   #63
Senior - BHPian

Day 1,2,3 - Arrive at Trivandrum, city tour, temple visit, Kovalam and Varkala beaches

Day 4 - Alapuzha is better than Kumarakom (personally) for its narrow canals. Plan for a three bed houseboat for overnight stay. Check in is at 11am and check out next day morning 10.

Day 5 - Cochin (Sight seeing, shopping and a visit to newly opened Lulu mall, one of the biggest malls in India

Day 6 - Thekkady

Day 7 & 8 - Munnar, back to Kochi

Athirappilly is a nice place but not sure about the water level as its summer.
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2013, 21:17   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Being still very new to India, hardly my place to advise anybody on what to do.
However, we did visit Kerala. Only a long weekend. Had a great time:

See: http://www.india.jeroendorrestein.com/india/Kerala.html

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2013, 21:53   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Being still very new to India, hardly my place to advise anybody on what to do.
You catch so well; the stills. And the writing betters it still. You are already having a fan following in me at the Team-BHP travelogue sub-forum. Next time, I prefer you do the hills of Kerala - mostly Munnar, Gavi and Wayanad - the flora and fauna is amazing. Same advice stands good for the original poster; if you've got time, do not miss Wayanad. Sharing another link on Kerala - http://www.mustseeindia.com/Kerala
thoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2013, 09:36   #66
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Kerala: Advice Requested.

How is Kerala in Monsoons? I am thinking on visiting around the end-August. Any suggestions on the best house-boat ride? (a very lone and remote houseboat ride). Will be doing by road, have 7 days and would like to do most of Kerala.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2013, 09:49   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
How is Kerala in Monsoons? I am thinking on visiting around the end-August. Any suggestions on the best house-boat ride? (a very lone and remote houseboat ride). Will be doing by road, have 7 days and would like to do most of Kerala.
Kerala is very beautiful in the monsoons. All lake/backwater and hill station resorts get quite a large number of bookings on "monsoon tourism".

I doubt if you would see much rains during end-August. The best house-boat ride would be at Allepey (Alapuzha). Remember that even if they give you a night stay in the boat, the boat will be anchored along the shoreline of the backwaters by 6:30 PM.
kutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2013, 12:22   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutts View Post
Kerala is very beautiful in the monsoons. All lake/backwater and hill station resorts get quite a large number of bookings on "monsoon tourism".
I doubt if you would see much rains during end-August. The best house-boat ride would be at Allepey (Alapuzha). Remember that even if they give you a night stay in the boat, the boat will be anchored along the shoreline of the backwaters by 6:30 PM.
Thanks, Could you give me an idea about the less crowdy destinations. The ones that you would like to visit or are must visit without them the trip will be incomplete.

So, the house boats don't sail in night. Any ideas about the boat ride cost? We will be 6 persons, how much could the houseboat accommodate?

Last edited by mercedised : 1st July 2013 at 12:32.
Old 1st July 2013, 12:26   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would reccomend that you do a morning to evening ride in a houseboat and then stay the night in any of the upteen hotels on the shore,with lunch onboard.That would be a better way to do it than booking a stay in a houseboat.There is nothing like a lone and remote ride as the routes are all chalked out in advance and approved by the authorities.August is usually raining,but then this year has been stupendous rains so far,so probably would be better to check some towards Aug mid week whats the weather like.

Most of the boats are double bedroom ones,which means a maximum of 4 people and the rooms imo are quite cramped for my liking.The boats would cost anywhere upwards of INR 6K a night for 2 people inclusive of food.

You havent mentioned from which side you are coming in.ideally,you could stay at munnar for 2-3nights,do thekkady as a day trip from munnar.head to alleppey or kumarakom,do a day ride in the boat and then stay a night in the hotel.then head to kochi and take a boat trip to see kochi(the jew town,synagogue,fort kochi etc).KTDC operates these trips and is value for money.feel free to pm in case you need to know anything more.

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 1st July 2013 at 12:29.
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2013, 13:09   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
You havent mentioned from which side you are coming in.ideally,you could stay at munnar for 2-3nights,do thekkady as a day trip from munnar.head to alleppey or kumarakom,do a day ride in the boat and then stay a night in the hotel.then head to kochi and take a boat trip to see kochi(the jew town,synagogue,fort kochi etc).KTDC operates these trips and is value for money.feel free to pm in case you need to know anything more.
Thanks, I would be coming from Indore via Mumbai. I have also heard about tree houses, how are they? and what might be the cost? Could you give me a probable route including places (a round journey) for kerala only?

Last edited by mercedised : 1st July 2013 at 13:10.
Old 1st July 2013, 13:23   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, I would be coming from Indore via Mumbai. I have also heard about tree houses, how are they? and what might be the cost? Could you give me a probable route including places (a round journey) for kerala only?
Divert from NH4 at Hiriyur and come via Mysore-Gudalur-Nadugani-Nilambur-Perinthalmanna-Pattambi-Guruvayur-Edappally-Alleppey-Thekkady-Munnar-Theni-NH7-Dindigul-Salem-Bangalore.

This way you take two different routes(one to enter Kerala and one to exit)and thereby manage to see a lot more of Kerala.

Day1:Mumbai-Hiriyur-Mysore
Day2:Mysore-Guruvayur-Alleppey.(you could also opt to stay the night at Guruvayur incase you want to visit the temple and head to alleppey the next day)
Day3:Alleppey Houseboat day and back to hotel by evening.
Day4:Alleppey-Thekkady-Munnar(with an early start by 7-8am,you could stop by thekkady and drive to munnar to reach munnar by evening.
day 5:munnar
day6:munnar and surrounding areas
day7:munnar-bangalore

Map for your reference:

http://goo.gl/maps/2mW0s
Old 1st July 2013, 13:55   #72
BHPian

I can think of the following places that are lonely and not over commercialized.

1. A house boat ride in Allepey. If it is a day ride, you can opt out of the A/C room type boats. The rates hover around 1000/- per hour, depends on the size of the boat and the rush. They comes in different sizes, from being able to accomodate 4 to 25+ persons. I can PM my a contact who arranges the boats if you need. I personally have found the ride enjoyable for about 4 hrs, after which you get tired of seeing the same scenery over and over again.

2. Head straight to Mararikkulam beach in the evening and for night stop over. There are a couple of hotels along the beach and there is absolutely no crowd.

3. You could go to Vagamon, which is a hill station. Do not expect fancy hotels, but it is much cleaner and very less crowded compared to other hill stations I have been to.

4. You can then go to Poovar, which has an estuary. Good hotels available and once again not so crowded as other popular beaches like Varkala or Kovalam.

I have not experienced the of north Kerala, so not commenting on any places there. The above locations are located in Central and South Kerala.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd July 2013 at 15:58. Reason: STRICTLY no references to alcohol on this forum please
kutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2013, 14:35   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Divert from NH4 at Hiriyur and come via Mysore-Gudalur-Nadugani-Nilambur-Perinthalmanna-Pattambi-Guruvayur-Edappally-Alleppey-Thekkady-Munnar-Theni-NH7-Dindigul-Salem-Bangalore.
http://goo.gl/maps/2mW0s
Thanks alotttttttttttttttt. This sounds a good round trip. Wayanad, does it fall enroute. Yeah you did'nt tell me about tree houses?

Also how about if we take the coastal route from otty in return till Mumbai via Goa..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutts View Post
I can think of the following places that are lonely and not over commercialized.
I have not experienced the of north Kerala, so not commenting on any places there. The above locations are located in Central and South Kerala.
Thanks alot. Please PM me the contact of the related person who books Houseboats. If he's your relative, I am expecting a heavy discount.

Last edited by mercedised : 1st July 2013 at 14:40.
Old 1st July 2013, 15:17   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wayanad, does it fall enroute. Yeah you did'nt tell me about tree houses?
If you want to go via Wayanad,then the route remains same till Gundlupet,and from there you turn right onto NH212 and go via Muthanga-Sultan Batheri-Kozhikode-NH17 and the rest is the same.Map attached below:

http://goo.gl/maps/nmXBi

Quote:
Also how about if we take the coastal route from otty in return till Mumbai via Goa.
The coastal NH17 route in all probability is going to be broken up post monsoon.The following are the options to get to Goa from Ooty

Munnar-Udumulpet-Palladam-Avinashi-Annur-Mettupalayam-Ooty-Gundlupet-Mysore-hiriyur-hubli-yellapur-baleguli cross-karwar-madgaon-panjim (this would ensure that you have to drive the NH17 only from Baleguli Cross onwards)Map as attached below:
http://goo.gl/maps/WNDHp

panjim-sanquelim-chorla-belgaum-nh4-kolhapur-satara-pune-mumbai.Map as below:
http://goo.gl/maps/sVHkj

if you do want to drive the entire nh17 then the best route I can think of would be as below and this way you drive through the Coorg region as well.

ooty-gudalur-meppadi-manathavadi-kartikulam-kutta-gonikoppa-madikeri-sulia-mangalore-nh17.Map as below:
http://goo.gl/maps/ed5si Roads might go bad,depending on the intensity of the rains,but the vistas would be to die for with dense green vegetation all around

The tree houses can be found at Vythiri Resort.Other than that I am not aware of any.I wouldnt reccomend a tree house during the monsoon season though.

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 1st July 2013 at 15:19.
Old 1st July 2013, 21:59   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The tree houses can be found at Vythiri Resort.Other than that I am not aware of any.I wouldnt reccomend a tree house during the monsoon season though.
Thanks man! you have done alot. This sounds perfect. From the Kerala tourism I have read that Munnar also has tree houses.