Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2013, 09:08   #76
Senior - BHPian
 
mercedised's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,070
Thanked: 160 Times
Default Re: Kerala: Advice Requested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
ooty-gudalur-meppadi-manathavadi-kartikulam-kutta-gonikoppa-madikeri-sulia-mangalore-nh17.Map as below:
http://goo.gl/maps/ed5si Roads might go bad,depending on the intensity of the rains,but the vistas would be to die for with dense green vegetation all around
The tree houses can be found at Vythiri Resort.Other than that I am not aware of any.I wouldnt reccomend a tree house during the monsoon season though.
I forgot to ask you, what will be the destinations? In the route there are many places, but can you just list out the places like Munnar, Wayanad.. Also should'nt we visit Ooty? Thanks.

Last edited by mercedised : 2nd July 2013 at 09:11.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2013, 10:21   #77
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,610
Thanked: 1,719 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post

I forgot to ask you, what will be the destinations? In the route there are many places, but can you just list out the places like Munnar, Wayanad.. Also should'nt we visit Ooty? Thanks.
Destinations:

Mysorealace,brindavan gardens,(1night stay minimum)
Vythiri in Wayanad(1-2nights would do justice)
Guruvayur temple enroute to alleppey
Alleppey houseboat(1night)
Thekkady Wildlife sanctuary-best seen via the boat ride on the periyar river(enroute to munnar from alleppey)
At Munnar-Topslip,Mattupetty,Eravikulam(nilgiri tahr),tea estates(2nights)
Ooty-coonoor(requires a minimum 2night stay)
Enroute to mangalore from ooty(coorg is another hill station-plenty of places to stay)
Enroute to Goa via mangalore:Udupi Krishna Temple,Kollur Moolambika Temple,Marvanthe Beach
Karwar beach side
If going via hiriyur,then you could consider spending a night or two at Chikmagalur and also go see Jog Falls
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2013, 15:35   #78
Senior - BHPian
 
mercedised's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,070
Thanked: 160 Times
Default Re: Kerala: Advice Requested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutts View Post
I can think of the following places that are lonely and not over commercialized.
I have not experienced the of north Kerala, so not commenting on any places there. The above locations are located in Central and South Kerala.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
If going via hiriyur,then you could consider spending a night or two at Chikmagalur and also go see Jog Falls
Thanks, See I have made this plan, please advice on how it looks like:

Hello,
So after cancelling the Goa trip, I have now finalized to do a Kerala Trip The itinerary is as Follows:

Day 1: Indore - Shirdi
Day 2: Shirdi - Pune - Kolhapur - Mysore
Day 3: Mysore and then depart for Ooty
Day 3: Mysore - Bandipur - Masinagudi - Ooty
Day 4: Ooty
Day 5: Ooty - Manjoor - Mulli - Mannarkkad - Thrissur
Day 6: Thrissur
Day6: Thrissur - Guruvayoor (visit temple and sanctuary) - Kochi
Day7: Kochi - Alleppy
Day 8: House boat ride in Alleppy
Day 8: Alleppy - Munnar
Day 9: Munnar
Day 10: Munnar - Wayanad
Day 11: Wayanad - Manglore - Panjim
Day 12: Panjim - Kolhapur - Indore

The problem is this looks very hectic to follow, So please advice on the correct planning of this trip what should be dropped off the list. I have only 10 days.




The route is as follows, is it alright? :


https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=I...6%2C17&t=m&z=9

Last edited by mercedised : 2nd July 2013 at 15:36.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2013, 16:22   #79
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 77
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: Kerala: Advice Requested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Thanks, See I have made this plan, please advice on how it looks like:

Hello,
So after cancelling the Goa trip, I have now finalized to do a Kerala Trip The itinerary is as Follows:

Day 1: Indore - Shirdi
Day 2: Shirdi - Pune - Kolhapur - Mysore
Day 3: Mysore and then depart for Ooty
Day 3: Mysore - Bandipur - Masinagudi - Ooty
Day 4: Ooty
Day 5: Ooty - Manjoor - Mulli - Mannarkkad - Thrissur
Day 6: Thrissur
Day6: Thrissur - Guruvayoor (visit temple and sanctuary) - Kochi
Day7: Kochi - Alleppy
Day 8: House boat ride in Alleppy
Day 8: Alleppy - Munnar
Day 9: Munnar
Day 10: Munnar - Wayanad
Day 11: Wayanad - Manglore - Panjim
Day 12: Panjim - Kolhapur - Indore

The problem is this looks very hectic to follow, So please advice on the correct planning of this trip what should be dropped off the list. I have only 10 days.


This indeed look hectic. Yes, if you have more days you can do a more relaxing journey. But for 10 days I would suggest you to cut down one of the places. May be one from Ooty - Munnar - Wayanad. You need to strike out one according to your like/dislike.

These three places have their own uniqueness. Ooty is one of the best hill stations in south India. Munnar again is all about relaxing and rejuvenation. Wayanad unlike the above two has places of interest strewn through out the district. People either go there for a sabbatical and stay cutoff from outside world in some resorts or they travel through out the district and see as much or do some activities like tracking, slush driving etc. Either of these activities can be managed in a day that you have allocated. Maybe you should plan an exclusive Wayanad trip later. I think you may still need to work out on one of the places to make it exactly 10 days.
alexanish is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2013, 16:52   #80
Senior - BHPian
 
mercedised's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,070
Thanked: 160 Times
Default Re: Kerala: Advice Requested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanish View Post
T Either of these activities can be managed in a day that you have allocated. Maybe you should plan an exclusive Wayanad trip later. I think you may still need to work out on one of the places to make it exactly 10 days.
So in Wayanad there is no single place, it would then need atleast 2 days to explore most of it. I can drop it off then. Have you been to Ooty-Mulli route?
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2013, 20:58   #81
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 77
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: Kerala: Advice Requested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
So in Wayanad there is no single place, it would then need atleast 2 days to explore most of it. I can drop it off then. Have you been to Ooty-Mulli route?
Not sure how safe and good that road would be from the map. I believe it goes through a reserve forest and its not seen as a highway/main road. I have never been through that route. The nearest possible route I know people go from Mysore is Gudalur - Nilambur - Perinthalmanna - Thrissur. Let's see if some one who is familiar with the route in your mind is posting on this thread. Otherwise you need to ask people in Ooty once you reach, about best route to Thrissur.
alexanish is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 00:15   #82
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,597
Thanked: 8,580 Times
Default Re: Kerala: Advice Requested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Day 1: Indore - Shirdi
Day 2: Shirdi - Pune - Kolhapur - Mysore
Day 3: Mysore and then depart for Ooty
Day 3: Mysore - Bandipur - Masinagudi - Ooty
Day 4: Ooty
Day 5: Ooty - Manjoor - Mulli - Mannarkkad - Thrissur
Day 6: Thrissur
Day6: Thrissur - Guruvayoor (visit temple and sanctuary) - Kochi
Day7: Kochi - Alleppy
Day 8: House boat ride in Alleppy
Day 8: Alleppy - Munnar
Day 9: Munnar
Day 10: Munnar - Wayanad
Day 11: Wayanad - Manglore - Panjim
Day 12: Panjim - Kolhapur - Indore
- In one day you plan to drive from Shirdi to Mysore? You will have to break before
- If you do Mysore the you add one more day
- Allepey-Munnar-Waynad circuit is again quite hectic.
- You can replan to do Ooty-Guruvayur-Munnar and cut out Alleppy.
- You need 2-3 at these places to really enjoy. Else it becomes a touch and go situation where you go to every place, but never get the feeling that you were actually there.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 23:38   #83
BHPian
 
vindrider2626's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 119
Thanked: 45 Times
Default Re: Kerala: Advice Requested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
So in Wayanad there is no single place, it would then need atleast 2 days to explore most of it. I can drop it off then. Have you been to Ooty-Mulli route?
i travelled ooty mulli route in may this year and found the route to be ok,only for that 6-7 kms soon after we enter kerala from the tamilnadu side are the roads hopeless ,practically no roads,The condition could have worsened now after monsoons.leave aside this ooty mulli is fine.
vindrider2626 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2013, 16:00   #84
Senior - BHPian
 
mercedised's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,070
Thanked: 160 Times
Default Re: Kerala: Advice Requested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
- In one day you plan to drive from Shirdi to Mysore? You will have to break before
- If you do Mysore the you add one more day
- Allepey-Munnar-Waynad circuit is again quite hectic.
- You can replan to do Ooty-Guruvayur-Munnar and cut out Alleppy.
- You need 2-3 at these places to really enjoy. Else it becomes a touch and go situation where you go to every place, but never get the feeling that you were actually there.
Me too thinking that including most of the places will result in only fatigue!

So, I think it would be better to drop-off Guruvayoor, Wayanad and Allepey.

What else remains is: Munnar Suggest atleast 2-3 more places! I think including Kodai.. would be good Is'nt it?

P.S: Visiting Guruvayoor worth it? especially that elephant shed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindrider2626 View Post
i travelled ooty mulli route in may this year and found the route to be ok,only for that 6-7 kms soon after we enter kerala from the tamilnadu side are the roads hopeless ,practically no roads,The condition could have worsened now after monsoons.leave aside this ooty mulli is fine.
:O on a hectic trip I would not do that! Maybe sometime later, I was seduced by those 43 hair pins!

Last edited by mercedised : 4th July 2013 at 16:02.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2013, 17:04   #85
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,597
Thanked: 8,580 Times
Default Re: Kerala: Advice Requested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
So, I think it would be better to drop-off Guruvayoor, Wayanad and Allepey.
What else remains is: Munnar Suggest atleast 2-3 more places! I think including Kodai.. would be good Is'nt it?
- 2-3 days in Ooty
- 2-3 in Munnar
- You can do Thekkady near Munnar.
- Once done, Kodai is close by. You can chose visit.
- On the way to Mysore you also get Chikkamagulur. Do you want to try to see how it fits into the scheme of things? (Shirdi-Chikmagulur is 920 km).

Quote:
P.S: Visiting Guruvayoor worth it? especially that elephant shed?
The only reason to visit Guruvayoor is the temple. Rest all are add ons. If temple is not the priority, the you can skip it.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2013, 17:26   #86
Senior - BHPian
 
mercedised's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,070
Thanked: 160 Times
Default Re: Kerala: Advice Requested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
- On the way to Mysore you also get Chikkamagulur. Do you want to try to see how it fits into the scheme of things? (Shirdi-Chikmagulur is 920 km).
Yes.. Yes.. Definitely. Please do post a map of the route if you can. Thanks.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2013, 17:39   #87
Distinguished - BHPian
 
mpksuhas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: KA03/KL11
Posts: 2,708
Thanked: 3,285 Times
Default Re: Kerala: Advice Requested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Yes.. Yes.. Definitely. Please do post a map of the route if you can. Thanks.
Please note while in Kerala you will be able to cover only around 40 KM per hour even on NH. A distance of 100 KM which can be done well within 1.5 hours on GQ can easily take around 3 hours in Kerala. Also most of 4 lane highways has speed limit of 70KMPH which is enforced strictly.
mpksuhas is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2013, 17:49   #88
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Delhi
Posts: 3,057
Thanked: 6,176 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post

Please note while in Kerala you will be able to cover only around 40 KM per hour even on NH. A distance of 100 KM which can be done well within 1.5 hours on GQ can easily take around 3 hours in Kerala. Also most of 4 lane highways has speed limit of 70KMPH which is enforced strictly.
When you're in Kerala you shouldn't be in a hurry. We found it a very relaxing part of India!
Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2013, 11:17   #89
BHPian
 
vindrider2626's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 119
Thanked: 45 Times
Default Re: Kerala: Advice Requested.

I would not suggest you not to visit wayanad in the monsoons.You have to walk all the places to be seen and in rainy season it is terrible,I would definitely advise you to visit guruvayur since you are from far off indore .
vindrider2626 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2013, 12:19   #90
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,597
Thanked: 8,580 Times
Default Re: Kerala: Advice Requested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Yes.. Yes.. Definitely. Please do post a map of the route if you can. Thanks.
Here is a link for a one way route map :

Route Map
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kerala Guys, where in Kerala are you residing? deepclutch Shifting gears 374 8th August 2017 04:28
Turbo noise in my 37k old Hyundai Verna! Advice requested. Added_flavor Technical Stuff 24 20th October 2015 14:00
Expert's advice requested - Unbelievable Cost - 60K serv.Optra 1.8LS 2004 sajanpt Technical Stuff 27 4th June 2011 13:54
Advice requested in buying OHC joecherian Sedans 5 18th March 2009 14:58


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:50.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks