Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2010, 19:32   #1
BHPian
 
Bigzero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 351
Thanked: 160 Times
Default A bus query: Where to board bus for Calicut at Bangalore

Hi folks,

I have to go to Calicut in a couple of days to drive my Santro back home. This time I am planning to go by bus. The idea is to take an overnight Hyd-Blr bus, get down somewhere near Majestic in the morning, and board a Bangalore-Calicut bus from Majestic ( I have done this 3-4 times in the past - there were a couple of KeSRTC buses after 8 am or so.. ). In case I dont get a direct bus to Calicut, I will try a bus for Mysore and then try for a connection from there .

The last time I had done this was a couple of years back, and it worked perfectly. I could reach Calicut before 6 pm.

However, I heard from someone that the starting point for Mysore-Calicut bound buses has been shifted away from Majestic to a bus station in Mysore road.

Can anyone confirm this? Just needed to know if I can board the bus from Majestic, or whether I should find my way to the Mysore road bus stand. ( and how far is that, I have no idea... )

Help will be deeply appreciated!
Bigzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 21:39   #2
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 688
Thanked: 238 Times
Default

Bigzero,

As per my understanding still Karnataka RTC buses starting from Majestic Bus stand only. Other state buses are starting from Satellite Bus Stand in Mysore road. But you will get plenty of buses to this busstand from Majestic.

I am not sure if there is a private bus going to Calicut in the morning hours. You can just try this by calling PK travels (Kalasipalayam) - 080 26705844.

May be the members from Calicut can tell more about this

Thanks
Rajesh
RajeshK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 21:47   #3
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,953
Thanked: 15,639 Times
Default

For morning buses from blr to calicut, you have to catch a Kerala SRTC bus. Its red in color, does not have windows, and flies two inches above the ground.
Usually makes a very loud noise too.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 22:01   #4
BHPian
 
roamingrao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 335
Thanked: 165 Times
Default

Yes Bigzero, all buses to Calicut ( KSRTC and KeSRTC ) now start from Mysore road satellite bus station ( MCTC ). Tel - 080 26752888.

Location - Near gopalan mall and Big bazaar, New Timber yard layout on Mysore Road. There are many BMTC buses from Majestic to MCTC. distance by auto - approx 5 kms.

However, Airavat ( volvo) and other A/c buses start from majestic and have a pick up stop at MCTC.

hope this helps..
roamingrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 22:03   #5
BHPian
 
Bigzero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 351
Thanked: 160 Times
Default

Thanks folks for the responses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Bigzero,

As per my understanding still Karnataka RTC buses starting from Majestic Bus stand only. Other state buses are starting from Satellite Bus Stand in Mysore road. But you will get plenty of buses to this busstand from Majestic.

Thanks
Rajesh
hmm.. let me see how it goes. Being the lazy type, I may be tempted to board a KaSRTC bus to Mysore from Majestic and then find a bus from there , if I find that KeSRTC buses dont start from Majestic. Let me see. Thanks for the advance warning!

I will check with PK travels too..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
For morning buses from blr to calicut, you have to catch a Kerala SRTC bus. Its red in color, does not have windows, and flies two inches above the ground.
Usually makes a very loud noise too.
Ha, ha! that was nice. I was a regular user of all kinds of buses in Kerala when I was a student there, and let me tell you, KSRTC drivers are angels when you compare them to the "Limited Stop" private buses. I believe there are threads dedicated to this anyway..

btw I did take the KeSRTC a few times from Blr to Calicut a couple of years back, and I thought they drove pretty decently.

Added:
Thanks Roamingrao for the additional information! that looks manageable.

Last edited by Bigzero : 20th July 2010 at 22:05.
Bigzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 22:13   #6
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,591
Thanked: 8,564 Times
Default

Check in ksrtc.in. I did a couple of checks. There are no Volvo services, but Rajhamsa exective sleeper bus (2x2).
And both this service starts from Shantinagar BMTC terminal and not majestic.

Attached is the snapshot:

A bus query: Where to board bus for Calicut at Bangalore-ksrtc.jpg

Last edited by ampere : 20th July 2010 at 22:15.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 22:22   #7
BHPian
 
Bigzero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 351
Thanked: 160 Times
Default

Thanks ampere - those are night services, but I will be reaching Bangalore in the morning ( planning to catch an overnight bus from Hyderabad ). The Kerala State RTC website tells me that there is a bus at 8 am . I will try to get that ( if the Hyd-Blr bus reaches in time ).

Otherwise I will just hop to Mysore and then whatever bus I find going towards the direction of Calicut... am not in a big hurrry to reach there early, and quite ok to experiment and experience different buses :-)

Anyway let me see! will update on what options I took after I complete the trip.
Bigzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 22:44   #8
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,591
Thanked: 8,564 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post
Thanks ampere - those are night services, but I will be reaching Bangalore in the morning ( planning to catch an overnight bus from Hyderabad ). The Kerala State RTC website tells me that there is a bus at 8 am . I will try to get that ( if the Hyd-Blr bus reaches in time ).

Otherwise I will just hop to Mysore and then whatever bus I find going towards the direction of Calicut... am not in a big hurrry to reach there early, and quite ok to experiment and experience different buses :-)

Anyway let me see! will update on what options I took after I complete the trip.
I am aware there many buses to Waynad from Mysore. But not sure about Calicut. But these buses are pretty slow moving stopping at every town.
Not aware of an express service.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 00:12   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,088
Thanked: 586 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Check in ksrtc.in. I did a couple of checks. There are no Volvo services, but Rajhamsa exective sleeper bus (2x2).
And both this service starts from Shantinagar BMTC terminal and not majestic.
Both the K(ar)SRTC and K(er)SRTC websites show a number of buses on this route starting between 7PM and midnight. Wouldn't these buses be reaching the forest road between 9PM and 6AM ? Or is there an exemption for Govt. buses for the traffic closure ??
kala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 10:10   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
addyhemmige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore/Hassan
Posts: 1,549
Thanked: 465 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post
Thanks ampere - those are night services, but I will be reaching Bangalore in the morning ( planning to catch an overnight bus from Hyderabad ). The Kerala State RTC website tells me that there is a bus at 8 am . I will try to get that ( if the Hyd-Blr bus reaches in time ).

Otherwise I will just hop to Mysore and then whatever bus I find going towards the direction of Calicut... am not in a big hurrry to reach there early, and quite ok to experiment and experience different buses :-)

Anyway let me see! will update on what options I took after I complete the trip.
The best way is to get down at Majestic. Catch a Volvo to Mysore. Catch any bus to Calicut from there. There should be more services from there than from Bangalore.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 10:52   #11
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,591
Thanked: 8,564 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Both the K(ar)SRTC and K(er)SRTC websites show a number of buses on this route starting between 7PM and midnight. Wouldn't these buses be reaching the forest road between 9PM and 6AM ? Or is there an exemption for Govt. buses for the traffic closure ??
K(ar)SRTC as you said has around 3-5 services but only in the evenings. Also there is NO volvo service.

As Addy said you will get more services during the day from Mysore. Again not sure of a Volvo again. Thats what I mentioned in my previous post as well.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 14:07   #12
BHPian
 
Bigzero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 351
Thanked: 160 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
The best way is to get down at Majestic. Catch a Volvo to Mysore. Catch any bus to Calicut from there. There should be more services from there than from Bangalore.
Exactly what I am thinking. Thanks!

I booked a ticket for Bangalore tonight ( Sharma travels Volvo ) - hopefully an opportunity to put in a post in the Intercity bus review thread..

I am told that the bus will reach Bangalore by 6.30 am, but so far in my past trips, they have always delayed it too 7.30 am or beyond. Let me see.
Bigzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 15:54   #13
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,591
Thanked: 8,564 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post
Exactly what I am thinking. Thanks!

I booked a ticket for Bangalore tonight ( Sharma travels Volvo ) - hopefully an opportunity to put in a post in the Intercity bus review thread..

I am told that the bus will reach Bangalore by 6.30 am, but so far in my past trips, they have always delayed it too 7.30 am or beyond. Let me see.
At majestic you should get Volvos for Mysore every minute!
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2010, 21:20   #14
BHPian
 
jeevmenon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: TN07
Posts: 466
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

@Bigzero: How did it all go?
jeevmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2010, 23:03   #15
BHPian
 
Bigzero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 351
Thanked: 160 Times
Default

Everything went off as planned!

The Hyd-Blr bus dropped me at around 7.30 near Majestic- I took an auto to Majestic from there, took a small break and then boarded a Mysore Vlovo at around 8.30 or so. Reached Mysore a few min past 11, and I took another break there for some nice Dosas after which I boarded a KeSRTC LS FP for Kozhikode. Left Mysore at around 12 and reached Calicut at about half past five.

Overall, smooth journey, no problems finding seats etc.

Will post details and some pics in a separate thread. Thanks folks again!
Bigzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Calicut - Trivandrum - Calicut Route Updates nairrk Route / Travel Queries 99 19th October 2017 15:13
1st ever Mini meet in Calicut. Post here for all future Calicut mini meets.. MaserQ The Team-BHP Meet Section 17 8th August 2017 04:32
Inspiration: Sign Board @ Silk Board. Drive to Tamil Nadu kaushik_ak Travelogues 17 3rd January 2014 20:37
3 bhpians coming to calicut, calicut bhpians want a meet? pramodkumar The Team-BHP Meet Section 9 26th September 2011 21:51
Need some pointers! Calicut - Aluva - Rameshwaram - Madurai - Ramakkalmedu - Calicut Klub Class Route / Travel Queries 8 18th March 2011 12:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:59.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks