Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 26th July 2010, 15:10   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager-1 View Post
Many of you would have come across this. To reach Hosur from Bangalore, I usually come through Sarjapur and join the NH in Attibele. There is a toll booth within 200 meters and they collect Rs.20 from all the 4 wheelers. I suppose that this fee is for using the Elevated Tollway from Electronic City to Attibele. Everytime I end up paying the toll even though I do not use the tollway.

They could have easily differentiated the vehicles using the tollway by constructing barricades for some 100 meters from the end of the flyover to the toll booth and collected the toll only from them.

I hate to pay this toll and I am now avoiding this by taking the Sarjapur-Bagalur-House route . This route is approx 2 kms longer and in very good condition.

I wonder why would they do this and why anyone hasn't raised any objections.
i too have same issue since I use this sarjapur - attebelli route to chennai. When asked to those guys, they coolly mentioned its for the roads from bangy border to Krishnagiri Toll

I wish they had clear details on the slip they give on which route they are charging the toll along with the per KM rate.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 15:55   #32
Senior - BHPian

There was a similar thread a few months back regarding a toll booth on the NH48 at Bellur Cross. A new bridge was built on the NH48 over the Veeravaishnavi river some years back (surely more than 10-12 years back). The govt had authorised the contractor to collect toll on the NH48 to recover the investment. This was for a certain period and after that period expired, the contractor (or someone else) promptly repainted the permit dates on the toll booth and is still collecting the toll.

The irony is that NHAI is widening the road to a divided 4-lane highway and there is a new bridge being built next to this old bridge. For all the difficulties we face with road widening and construction, we still have to pay toll??

I also heard that the contractor was collecting toll with the blessings of the local MLA
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 16:00   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
I also heard that the contractor was collecting toll with the blessings of the local MLA
Haha, I wish this should have been in parts of Bihar or NE of India. We saw many booths demolished and not operative in this stretches.

Down south we see the reverse.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 19:55   #34
BHPian

See, guys i guess the point here is the illegalities of all this. Many of us would happily pay up for driving on the smooth roads, but some irritating things do creep up like the turn being just after toll and etc.

I was coming back to hyderabad from my north trip and when i reached adilabad town, i was forced to take a detour into the adilabad town, which cost us another hour and also a small toll for passing through town!! I plainly refused to pay up as it was just oil barrels blocking the road, i speeded away! On rejoining the highway i realise that the road is complete and there was no reason for a detour, may be except for that the people there wanted all travelers to pass through their town and spend something on something...

I was so angry also as it was just a few cement bags placed on the road with some mud for the detour.

Also HVK sir recently indicated something like its a government propaganda to introduce tolls, hence there should some concrete measures taken.

Also, how many times do we pay?? we pay our taxes, dont we? The govt. is supposed to provide us with good roads rather than outsource things to small corrupt contractors and we end paying being the BAKRA!? Similarly, we're still supposed to get good roads on highways too, but no, here again the contract is given to XYZ company on some BOOT model and they keep milking us in various ways till the next century! How fair is that?

Its high time govt. introduced fair toll and that too for a fair time!

But i say if it can be avoided easily without wasting much fuel and energy.. do it!

and i request all the members to list all they know; Of course, going through villages for a 10 KM detour just to avoid a 30 rs. toll is totally idiotic!
unoczar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 21:03   #35
BHPian

Ooops! This topic has run for 3 pages and still we are far from routes to avoid toll tax on the highways! Khaleed bhai is still looking.

Anyways, here is to avoid the Toll Tax at Ladowal (after Phillaur / Sutlej river - Rs 82 One way) on NH1 -

If you are coming on NH1 from Jallandhar towards Sirhind then follow this route -
  • Jallandhar - Phagwara - Phillaur (Take left turn below the flyover) - Rahon (Take right turn) - Machiwara - Khanna - Sirhind
  • Take left after Machiwara (on NH 95) if you want to go to Chandigarh
If you want to further go towards Ambala and Delhi and want to avoid the Toll Tax at Punjab border (Shambhu - Rs 45 One way) then -
  • After Machiwara - take left towards Chandigarh (NH 95) - Kharar - Banur - Ambala (but this will not be cost effective)
Cheers!
Irish

Last edited by Irish : 26th July 2010 at 21:08.
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 22:55   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
Ooops! This topic has run for 3 pages and still we are far from routes to avoid toll tax on the highways! Khaleed bhai is still looking.

Anyways, here is to avoid the Toll Tax at Ladowal (after Phillaur / Sutlej river - Rs 82 One way) on NH1 -

If you are coming on NH1 from Jallandhar towards Sirhind then follow this route -
  • Jallandhar - Phagwara - Phillaur (Take left turn below the flyover) - Rahon (Take right turn) - Machiwara - Khanna - Sirhind
  • Take left after Machiwara (on NH 95) if you want to go to Chandigarh
If you want to further go towards Ambala and Delhi and want to avoid the Toll Tax at Punjab border (Shambhu - Rs 45 One way) then -
  • After Machiwara - take left towards Chandigarh (NH 95) - Kharar - Banur - Ambala (but this will not be cost effective)
Cheers!
Irish
Hey Great! thanks. Are those two roads good? i mean drivable? you've mentioned about the second road, but that first one... is it effective?
Old 26th July 2010, 23:03   #37
BHPian

You can avoid the toll that you pay while entering Thane through Mulund West. There is a way through Vaishali Nagar (Mulund) that ultimately reaches near Billabong Highschool/Sreenagar Society near Wagle Estate (Thane). But the amount you save by avoiding the toll (30 bucks) is of no use since you need to travel 4-5 kms extra on that route.

I guess many people residing in Thane/Mulund might be knowing about this route.

Last edited by prateekm : 26th July 2010 at 23:05.
prateekm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2010, 00:26   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unoczar View Post
Hey Great! thanks. Are those two roads good? i mean drivable? you've mentioned about the second road, but that first one... is it effective?
Both the roads are in a very good condition apart from a couple of bad patches of not even more than a km. These are single carriageway, but well marked and maintained roads. Lots of truck drivers use these routes to avoid the heavy toll taxes on these two locations.

First one is effective especially during the office hours when there is a lot of traffic jams at Ludhiana bye pass also.

Here is the map to understand both the routes. For avoiding toll tax at Ladowal, after reaching Samrala, you go straight towards Khanna and comes on NH1. But if you want to avoid the toll tax at Punjab border too than you take left after reaching Samrala (on NH 95) towards Chandigarh then reach Kharar and go via Banur to Ambala.

Using alternate routes to avoid tollways?-routes.jpg

Irish
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2010, 01:13   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
There was a similar thread a few months back regarding a toll booth on the NH48 at Bellur Cross. A new bridge was built on the NH48 over the Veeravaishnavi river some years back (surely more than 10-12 years back). The govt had authorised the contractor to collect toll on the NH48 to recover the investment. This was for a certain period and after that period expired, the contractor (or someone else) promptly repainted the permit dates on the toll booth and is still collecting the toll.

The irony is that NHAI is widening the road to a divided 4-lane highway and there is a new bridge being built next to this old bridge. For all the difficulties we face with road widening and construction, we still have to pay toll??

You are right since I too have heard about the so called Local MLA's (Ex Minister) blessings to this booth. Have been paying since 10-12 years. But these days, most of the usual travellers on this stretch just continue without paying up. It certainly isn't the question is Rs.5 but the veracity of the toll itself!!

On NH4, Shindhewadi toll, giving receipts of another vehicle is one trick and trying to strike a deal with you that pay up 50% and no receipt is another which I have constantly encountered during my night drives from Bangalore-Pune and back. I was fooled with a wrong receipt on two occasions and realised it only when I was arranging them in order.

Last edited by paragsachania : 27th July 2010 at 01:16.
paragsachania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2010, 09:20   #40
Senior - BHPian

Smile

One way to avoid the Mulund East Toll (30/-)and the Airoli Toll (30/-) if you are planning to reach Thane Belapur Road from Thane is through Thane city via Kalwa - Vitava - Mukund co and touch the start of Thane Belapur Road. The extra distance travelled is around 10 kms and you can calculate the petrol cost accordingly.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2010, 09:53   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
You are right since I too have heard about the so called Local MLA's (Ex Minister) blessings to this booth. Have been paying since 10-12 years. But these days, most of the usual travellers on this stretch just continue without paying up. It certainly isn't the question is Rs.5 but the veracity of the toll itself!!
+1. It is not the question of paying Rs.5. The point is that the people there are illegally collecting toll. I used to pay earlier, then I stopped paying until one day they started to keep a guy in front manning the gate. I saw him close the gate on one person who flatly refused to pay. The gate almost hit the car. Luckily nothing happened. This was almost as if they were threatening the travellers to pay.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2010, 22:13   #42
Senior - BHPian

At last some noises are being heard - truckers are going on indefinite strike to protest against toll charges:

Truckers to go on indefinite strike from Aug 6: Rediff.com Business

I am reproducing the rediff article below:

Truckers said on Tuesday 60 lakh (6 million) trucks will go off the road across the country from August 6 in an indefinite strike to press for a relook of the toll policy and lower toll tax.

"We have decided to proceed on indefinite strike from August 6 opposing the present hefty toll charges levied on vehicles, which has become the death knell for the road transport industry," G R Shanmugappa, President, All India [ Images ] Motor Transport Congress, which has 62 lakh truckers as members, told reporters.

Seeking a high-level probe either by the CBI or a parliamentary panel into the toll collection policy, AIMTC alleged that 'arbitrary' revision in toll rates in 2008 has resulted in truckers paying a hefty Rs 5,000 crore (Rs 50 billion) a day as toll tax.

The decision to proceed on an indefinite strike was taken in an emergency meeting of the AIMTC managing committee on July 26, demanding rationalisation of toll charges, implementation of the toll policy of 1997, uniform diesel rates across the country and removal of anti-dumping duty on import of tyres.

Earlier, truckers have gone on strikes in July 2008, January 2009 and July 2009 against their grievances, including irrational toll charges.

AIMTC's Southern unit has already given a strike call from August 2 next week. Shanmugappa alleged that the government, in an arbitrary move, hiked toll charges resulting in huge hardships to truckers.

The rates were increased to up to Rs 5 a km from Rs 1.40 in 1997, he said.

"We demand a high level probe either by CBI or a parliamentary panel as there is no transparency and the government has no records of toll collection from contractors," Shanmugappa said, adding that he will raise the issue with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and United Progressive Alliance Chairperson Sonia Gandhi .

The toll policy of 1997 provides for a revision in rates once in five years instead of an annual revision at present. Besides, truckers are also demanding revoking private toll collection.

The truckers body is also opposed to the introduction of six categories of vehicles for toll from the earlier four and anti-dumping duty on import of tyres.

"Anti-dumping duty on import of tyres has encouraged the tyre manufactures to increase the prices to the tune of about 30 per cent in the last six months," the AIMTC said. Opposing the recent diesel price hike, it said, "We want that the diesel rate should be uniform across the country and states should lower their taxes on diesel."
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2010, 22:22   #43
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Excellent news HVK saab. Excellent news. Hope there is a highlevel probe on this.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2010, 20:32   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Excellent news HVK saab.

Old 29th July 2010, 00:27   #45
BHPian

More than the money, I hate the time I spend at toll booths. Bangalore-Chennai, there is a traffic jam at every toll booth with bus drivers bullying puny cars by changing lanes to jump the queue. And the Hosur-Krishnagiri stretch, one can average only about 40Kmph because we are often held back by a truck doing 12kmph overtaking another at 11kmph.
wildsdi5530 is offline   Reply With Quote