Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street and Travel Experiences > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2010, 09:24   #1
BHPian
 
motocamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: pune
Posts: 456
Thanked: 96 Times
Default India to Nepal via road from gorakhpur

Hi Guys

I am planning a trip into nepal via road from gorakhpur,I will either do it by bike or jeep.

I read somewhere that you can only travel into nepal if you are driving a vehicle registered in your name is that true?

Also could someone explain the border crossing formailities of an Indian driving/riding in to nepal by road and what one can expect?
motocamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 3rd August 2010, 09:26   #2
Distinguished - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,324
Thanked: 2,988 Times
Default

I am unsure about the ownership issue.

All vehicles will register at CP at the border and have to sport temporary local number plates, apart from paying some charges for the duration of their drive through Nepal.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 10:31   #3
BHPian
 
COUGAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 538
Thanked: 43 Times
Default

kunal: there is a nice route into Nepal from Pithoragarh in Uttarakhand. Very nice when going by bike.

Back in 2008, Indian Nationals had to pay 85 rupees per day or something for a bike, and yes xerox of ownership docs is reqd
COUGAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 12:15   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,586
Thanked: 636 Times
Default

In 2007 we went to Dudhwa National Park and on one of the days crossed over to Dhangadi, Nepal in our cars. We had to show our original car documents, Driving licence and pay some charges (that I don't remember). We were told to come back before 7:30 pm as the gates closed. If we decided to stay back then the would have had to pay the charges for the 2nd day as well.

Kathmandu was roughly 80 Kms away. We could have also gone there but the formalities were different as we would have had to indicate the port of exit too and could not deviate from that.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 15:11   #5
BHPian
 
motocamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: pune
Posts: 456
Thanked: 96 Times
Default

Ok apart form carrying all original documents, does the vehicle you use have to registered on your name?
motocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 15:30   #6
BHPian
 
vinod_namakkal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Namakkal / Coimbatore / Chennai
Posts: 52
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Moto If its by bike I will join you. when are you planning and how many of you
vinod_namakkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 15:47   #7
BHPian
 
COUGAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 538
Thanked: 43 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by motocamp View Post
Ok apart form carrying all original documents, does the vehicle you use have to registered on your name?
well they dont bother so much with phirangs who rent out bikes. But Indian's/Nepalis are often questioned and with good reason: lots of smuggling of vehicles and spare parts.


PS: I am doing this by bike in Dec. Entering Nepal from Pithoragarh and leaving Nepal at Biratnagar, thence heading towards NJP.
COUGAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 15:51   #8
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 538
Thanked: 46 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Kathmandu was roughly 80 Kms away. We could have also gone there but the formalities were different as we would have had to indicate the port of exit too and could not deviate from that.
GD bhai, you sure about that? IIRC, Kathmandu is about 800 KMs from Dhangarhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
well they dont bother so much with phirangs who rent out bikes. But Indian's/Nepalis are often questioned and with good reason: lots of smuggling of vehicles and spare parts.
I crossed into Nepal from Banbasa (to Mahendranagar) on 25th June (one my way back from Munsiyari); and had to show the original documents for crossing into Nepal.


Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
PS: I am doing this by bike in Dec. Entering Nepal from Pithoragarh and leaving Nepal at Biratnagar, thence heading towards NJP.
Pithoragarh??? You sure about that? As far as I know, there is no major crossing from Pithoragarh. People cross into Nepal from Kumaon from Banbasa.

Nitin

Last edited by ntomer : 3rd August 2010 at 15:59.
ntomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 16:20   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
DirtyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dharamsala
Posts: 1,655
Thanked: 533 Times
Default

I crossed at Sunauli, Nepal which is N.E. of Gorakphur. It is dirty, hot dusty and not a good place to stay but I take it you are just looking for a good crossing point? That one was so unremarkable and trouble free that I do not remember what papers they asked for.

You might also consider a side trip to Varanasi and Sarnath just outside Varanasi since they are relatively close to Gorakphur. Sarnath is the site of the Buddha's first sermon and his first off-roading event after he gained enlightenment. There is an interesting art museum there and several spectacularly beautiful Buddhist temples from different countries honoring this holey site.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 3rd August 2010 at 16:23.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 16:35   #10
BHPian
 
COUGAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 538
Thanked: 43 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
I crossed into Nepal from Banbasa (to Mahendranagar) on 25th June (one my way back from Munsiyari); and had to show the original documents for crossing into Nepal.
Correct. But i think what Kunal was asking was if the owner of the vehicle mentioned in the doc has to be travelling.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Pithoragarh??? You sure about that? As far as I know, there is no major crossing from Pithoragarh.
Yes there is a crossing. At a place called Jhoolaghat. I went upto this point and returned back the last time.
COUGAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 19:38   #11
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 538
Thanked: 46 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
Correct. But i think what Kunal was asking was if the owner of the vehicle mentioned in the doc has to be travelling.
In fact they enquired about this as well. Car was registered in a friend's wife's name, who was travelling with us. We told that to them, and that was it - no verifications.

Nitin
ntomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 20:21   #12
BHPian
 
breezydrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pathankot - Delhi
Posts: 652
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
All vehicles will register at CP at the border and have to sport temporary local number plates, apart from paying some charges for the duration of their drive through Nepal.
HVK, that is not the case! I have not heard of temp no. plates!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
In 2007 we went to Dudhwa National Park and on one of the days crossed over to Dhangadi, Nepal in our cars. We had to show our original car documents, Driving licence and pay some charges (that I don't remember). We were told to come back before 7:30 pm as the gates closed. If we decided to stay back then the would have had to pay the charges for the 2nd day as well.

Kathmandu was roughly 80 Kms away. We could have also gone there but the formalities were different as we would have had to indicate the port of exit too and could not deviate from that.
Yes, this is the way they do it!

I regularly travel to Nepal for an official Project.
Normally take a flight to Bagdogra, hire a vehicle, enter Nepal from Kakarbhitta border.Pay the amount according to the distance of destination & duration of stay. BTW, I have a fixed source which generally sends WB regd. Scorpio at the Airport.
breezydrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 21:32   #13
BHPian
 
m-hawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: mumbai
Posts: 211
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
HVK, that is not the case! I have not heard of temp no. plates!

.
\

Last when i inquired about taking my qualis to Nepal(which sadly never happened) this was the procedure informed to me the temporary number plate is more like a sticker with a validity of a week or 15 day s for which a road tax is paid this acquired after the rto officer take s a road fitness test and so on .... Ok this was 2001 and yes original document s were a must !
m-hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2010, 19:01   #14
BHPian
 
althaaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: thrissur, gorakhpur & nepal
Posts: 130
Thanked: 17 Times
Thumbs up Hi

Hi,
I don't know if your trip is over or not. but for info am posting this.
am an Indian studying in Nepal, and the border city near sonouli. I, for my personal use have a Getz which is Indian registered. Am using a car here for more than 2 yrs now.

Now coming to your doubts.
There are 2 options for u, one is "Suvidha" another is "Bhanzar"

Suvidha: It is a free pass for you to keep an Indian registered vehicle in Nepal fro the time the border opens to the time it closes. Normally it is from 8 am to 9pm. even though suvidha is valid till 9p, you wont be issued a suvidha past 5pm.and suvidha has some restrictions also. You are not allowed to take your car past the nearest town that is "Bhairahawa". If you want to cross this town a go further then the option is "bhanzar"

Bhanzar: Bhanzar is a paid pass valid for 24 hrs, and it has no limitations. you can travel anywhere in Nepal. But please note that 24 hrs does't means it in real time, say you are entering Nepal today at 3pm, and plan to stay tomorrow and day after, then you should pay for 3 days. So basically 24 hrs end by 12am mid night!!

Documents needed in border,
If you are planning to take just suvidha, u need to show them ur license and rc original and fill up the register by urself. Suvidha is basically a small piece of paper which is also filled up by you only ! They will just sign it after comparing with your rc and license details

For bhanzar, you have to keep rc, license original and a photocopy of both. You will have to submit the photocopy along with the fees. Filling of form will be done by office staff itself.

For both bhanzar and suvidha, there is no need the owner should be present. They might ask for the owner, tell that its in your dads name or uncles name or else tell that you are just a driver. They will ask this just to clarify. And for bhanzar, you are supposed to get a green number plate with a temporary Nepali number by paying 100 rs extra.

Hope this much info is enough for anybody wanting to visit Nepal..
althaaf is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Self driven road trip, Siliguri (W.B) to Kathmandu (Nepal) amrisharm Travelogues 75 29th May 2014 00:48
India to nepal innocentdevil Route / Travel Queries 11 12th May 2011 19:59
Delhi - Nepal (First trip to out of India by road) CR-V Street and Travel Experiences 19 1st August 2008 22:25


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:11.

Copyright 2000 - 2014, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks