Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 8th November 2014, 07:58   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries

One:
Ranthamboe-Dholpur - You are going to have fun. Bad roads when I drove that section two months back due to overloaded trucks from stone crushers on the section. Check at Ranthambore if there is no flooding then smaller roads and MDR's linking along Chambal would be a very interesting drive. As these roads are not used by heavy trucks the quality was is better - not highways but lesser traffic. See the route here : http://goo.gl/Xgsb1Q

I did most of that in an i20 travelling from Dholpur to Swaimadhopur. But due to flooding in Banas had to turn back towards Gangapur city and then reach Swaimadhopur. Incidentally saw Hyena, fox, hare, monitor, snake and many type of deer on the hilly connect using http://goo.gl/bNMJXM

If you are going that area why not look at adding Chambal birding and Ghairal habitats?

Two:
Taal you can visit during day time but would suggest that you move to Phalodi (or as near as possible) before resting for night. That is if you want to enjoy the early morning feed time at Keechan. That is amazing.

Three:
In area's around Sam, Jaisalmer - Desert Park you get chance to spot Vulture's

Sorry but my personal take is that unless there is a "been that done that" target spend more days per sanctuary and you would get better "rewards"
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2014, 14:10   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
One:
Ranthamboe-Dholpur - You are going to have fun. Bad roads when I drove that section two months back due to overloaded trucks from stone crushers on the section. Check at Ranthambore if there is no flooding then smaller roads and MDR's linking along Chambal would be a very interesting drive. As these roads are not used by heavy trucks the quality was is better - not highways but lesser traffic. See the route here : http://goo.gl/Xgsb1Q
Did you get to see any wildlife in whatever length of this route you took ? or was the wildlife sightings only in the Gangapur city detour that you had to take because of the floods ?

Quote:
If you are going that area why not look at adding Chambal birding and Ghairal habitats?
The one day stay in Dholpur is for Chambal birding and Gharial watching....and hoping that our luck is good and we get to see the gangetic dolphin too !!

Quote:
Two:
Taal you can visit during day time but would suggest that you move to Phalodi (or as near as possible) before resting for night. That is if you want to enjoy the early morning feed time at Keechan. That is amazing.
Thanks. We may leave from Taal late evening and stay oernight at Phalodi for Keechan Crane watching.

Quote:
Sorry but my personal take is that unless there is a "been that done that" target spend more days per sanctuary and you would get better "rewards"
As much as we would like to spend more time in each of these wonderful wilderness places, time is at a premium and we do not have the luxury of spending any more than the scheduled number of days on this trip
dish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2014, 09:32   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dish View Post
Did you get to see any wildlife in whatever length of this route you took ? or was the wildlife sightings only in the Gangapur city detour that you had to take because of the floods ?
The maximum sightings were on detour but the point being that back roads + twilight are the best times for sightings. While traveling through Rajasthan there is always high possibility of sighting Neelgai, Chinkara, Cheetal, Fox, Snake, Monitor, Jakal, Porcupine, Boar and birds of many type.

Last edited by sudev : 9th November 2014 at 09:34.
Old 10th November 2014, 23:06   #139
BHPian

Driving from Mumbai to Udaipur, is Vadodra-Halol-Pavagarh-Godhra-Lunawara-Modasa a better route as compared to via Ahemedabad - Himmatnagar ?
dish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2014, 18:00   #140
BHPian

Poona to Ajmer route suggestion
Hello,
Need suggestion on route. I will be driving from Poona to Ajmer soon. Which route should i take. Last time (4 yrs back) when i drove from Poona to Jaipur, i took Poona -> Sangamner -> Saputara -> Bardoli -> Baroda -> Himmatnagar -> Udaipur -> Kishangarh -> Jaipur.
Want to check which route should i go for. It will be non stop drive from Poona to Ajmer due to time constraint and will be starting from Poona in the evening around 4ish and need to be at destination by next afternoon.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Shubhendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2014, 16:48   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dish View Post
Driving from Mumbai to Udaipur, is Vadodra-Halol-Pavagarh-Godhra-Lunawara-Modasa a better route as compared to via Ahemedabad - Himmatnagar ?
I will suggest to stick to the Ahmedabad-Himmatnagar-Udaipur route. Absolutely wonderful road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Poona to Ajmer route suggestion
Hello,
Need suggestion on route. I will be driving from Poona to Ajmer soon. Which route should i take. Last time (4 yrs back) when i drove from Poona to Jaipur, i took Poona -> Sangamner -> Saputara -> Bardoli -> Baroda -> Himmatnagar -> Udaipur -> Kishangarh -> Jaipur.
Want to check which route should i go for. It will be non stop drive from Poona to Ajmer due to time constraint and will be starting from Poona in the evening around 4ish and need to be at destination by next afternoon.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
You can take the Puna-Mumbai-Surat-Ahmedabad-Himatnagar-Udaipur-Beawar-Ajmer route. Mumbai to Nathdwara, the road is excellent. Between Rajsamand and Beawar, road widening work is on. So there are diversions at places where only 1 side is open for traffic. But nothing to seriously slow you down esp bcos it will be day by the time you will be on this stretch. Post Beawr, the road is fabulous.

However you are talking of approx 1200 km in about 20 hours which is cutting it too tight. Considering that you will be driving thru the night and also will be taking biological and gastronomical breaks, it would be better if you can add in few more hours.
Sandy28 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2014, 10:48   #142
BHPian

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the inputs, we have finilised the itinerary of our trip. Please take a look at the following and let me know your thoughts and suggestions. We are hiring an Innova for this trip, instead of the originally planned selfdrive.

Day1 - Around Jaipur, tay at Jaipur
Day2 - Jaipur to Bishnoi, stay at Bishnoi, few places along the way
Day3 - In and Jodhpur, stay in Jodhpur
Day4 - To Jaisalmer and stay in desert camp
Day5 - Visit to Tanot, Longewala and border if permissions are available and Drive to Barmer and stay at Barmer.
Day6 - Start early to Udaipur and stay in Udaipur
Day7 - In and around Udaipur and reach Ranakpur by evening, stay at resort between ranakpur and Kumbalgarh
Day8 - Kumbalgarh to Jaipur via Ajmer and Pushkar if possible.
Day9 - In and around Jaipur and return flight in the night.

Now the research needs to be done on what to be seen in these places and most importantly what to eat. Don't want miss the local specialties and popular eateries.

Cheers,
Nagarjun
nagarjun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2014, 09:42   #143
Senior - BHPian

Are the wintry nights in mid December tolerable ? Asking this as I'm from Bangalore where we're not used to cold weather.

I'll be travelling with 2 kids aged around 4 years old, and while the day shouldn't be a problem , I'm a bit worried about the nights in the hotel rooms.
sdp1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2014, 08:49   #144
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Are the wintry nights in mid December tolerable ? Asking this as I'm from Bangalore where we're not used to cold weather.
The temperatures would be easily around 5-10 degrees. Can even go lower as you head towards the desert side. In fact Churu in Rajasthan typically records the lowest temperatures in the country.

Hence please prepare accordingly.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2014, 10:38   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
I'm a bit worried about the nights in the hotel rooms.
Normally 2-3 star hotels provide room heaters. Confirm with the hotelier at the time of booking.

Activities are also organized around the bon-fire at night. For such occasions - woolen socks, mittens, ear-muffs, hats , jackets and wooly cot inners are a necessary precaution.

In case traveling in by train or long distance bus, ask the hotel to arrange a pick-up car especially if your scheduled arrival is after 6 PM. It's not worth the hassle of haggling on the fare with station taxis, in the biting cold, with luggage and family in tow (and suffering).
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2014, 11:06   #146
BHPian

Friends,
Need some help please.

I plan to do a family holiday at Rajasthan this time. Tentative date of departure is 26th December, from Pune.

Two families - total of 4 adults and 2 boys ( one 11 and one 8 - and both are notorious). We don't want to be spending too much time driving and visiting too many places, so, Wifey and I decided the below. ( Driving only because the Air fares that time are rocket high and the Trains are running way beyond Wait list - so wifey agreed for the drive )

Day 1 : Drive to Jodhpur - plan to reach late night ( tentative start time from Pune - 3.00 AM )
Day 2 : Jodhpur local sightseeing - transit to Jaisalmer later evening
Day 3 : Jaisalmer
DAy 4 - Transit back to Jodhpur
Day 5 - Checkout Jodhpur and start the drive back to Pune ( I envisage leaving Jodhpur only around 10.30 AM )

Few questions -
a) I don't know the routes ( I shall go thru the posts and determine), but if someone can guide the right road routes, I will be grateful
b) Any precautions I need to take while driving in Gujarat and Rajasthan - mine is a KA registered Safari. I recall reading somewhere that we need to put a yellow sticker on the right head lamp - is that mandatory?
c) Are there sufficient restaurants with clean rest rooms enroute ?
d) Any thing else that you all might feel I can include or anything that could be a strict no-no that I need to keep in mind

The hotels are being lined up and haven't confirmed the bookings yet, and shall do so if I hear a few views here. Tentative hotels I have spoken to are Indama Palace at Jodhpur and Gorbandh at JaiSalmer. We just decided to do a bit of a premium trip this time.

I shall appreciate any and all inputs. And thanks in advance.
jkrishnakj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2014, 00:19   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Friends,
Need some help please.

I plan to do a family holiday at Rajasthan this time. Tentative date of departure is 26th December, from Pune.

Two families - total of 4 adults and 2 boys ( one 11 and one 8 - and both are notorious). We don't want to be spending too much time driving and visiting too many places, so, Wifey and I decided the below. ( Driving only because the Air fares that time are rocket high and the Trains are running way beyond Wait list - so wifey agreed for the drive )

Day 1 : Drive to Jodhpur - plan to reach late night ( tentative start time from Pune - 3.00 AM )
Day 2 : Jodhpur local sightseeing - transit to Jaisalmer later evening
Day 3 : Jaisalmer
DAy 4 - Transit back to Jodhpur
Day 5 - Checkout Jodhpur and start the drive back to Pune ( I envisage leaving Jodhpur only around 10.30 AM )

Few questions -
a) I don't know the routes ( I shall go thru the posts and determine), but if someone can guide the right road routes, I will be grateful
b) Any precautions I need to take while driving in Gujarat and Rajasthan - mine is a KA registered Safari. I recall reading somewhere that we need to put a yellow sticker on the right head lamp - is that mandatory?
c) Are there sufficient restaurants with clean rest rooms enroute ?
d) Any thing else that you all might feel I can include or anything that could be a strict no-no that I need to keep in mind

I shall appreciate any and all inputs. And thanks in advance.

The yellow sticker is mandatory in Gujarat. That yellow sticker can save you sometime which you might end up spending with traffic cops in Gujarat.

My standard pit stop between Mumbai Ahmedabad is the mc donalds at Surat. This outlet has Parking wash rooms and tasty food.

Pune jodhpur in one day seems slightly aggressive. Would recommend breaking at Ahmedabad or some place beyond Ahmedabad. Haven't driven to jodhpur from Ahmedabad so can't give first hand inputs on the route.

Would recommend a stay at agashiye - the house of mg In Ahmedabad before you head out for jodhpur.

Last edited by Drivethru : 3rd December 2014 at 00:22.
Drivethru is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2014, 06:10   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Transiting in late to Jaisalmer one day and out to Jodhpur next. You'd miss the sunsets and dunes and Tanot and...!! You'd end up seeing only the fort at Jaisalmer.

Think "Jaisalmer - something midway - Pune" on return and spend two nights in Jodhpur on way in.

Else too much driving planned contrary to what you want.
Old 9th December 2014, 18:06   #149
BHPian

Thank you Drivethru and Sudev.

Sudev - Can you help point the right route from Mumbai please? Or are the highways so clearly marked that I don't have to worry about by-passes and stuff?

I plan to leave at 3.00 am from Mumbai on the 25th , and am hoping I can make it to Jodhpur, if the roads are good and if the drive is stress free.

I now plan to stay an additional day at Jaisalmer for the Sand dunes / sun set etc..and on the return leg, we plan to take a break at Ahmedabad. So, the plan is all set now. Thanks again.
jkrishnakj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2014, 05:42   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

See this https://goo.gl/maps/tz88r

There are problems around Narmada crossing and various forums talk about keeping to old bridge and crossing Narmada quickly. Zoom in to area around Ankleshwar to find route.

Beyond Ahmedabad you have divided highway up point slightly after Abu Road to Pali. This is one stretch that is full of truck traffic at night and is two lane undivided highway in hilly terrain.

Alternative will be to go via Ahmedabad Himmatnagar Udaipur but you join back again at the same point before Pali. You can probably use one side while going and other while coming back.